Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Think that fucks it up try singing "A Á B D Ð E É" to the same tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
If you use any Photoshop-type program and you copy/paste an element it almost always appears what seems to be at a random place on the screen, usually offset from the original by a small amount. This always drove me crazy because it feels chaotic and arbitrary (I know you can paste in place).

Today I realized that it’s a very intentional design because if that didn’t happen there’d be no visual feedback for the user to let them know the paste had occurred.

fullroundaction has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Jan 31, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

oh yeah, do the commonwealth countries even do the ABC song? because doesn’t their hosed up “zed” thing gently caress up the whole rhyming structure at the end?

Yeah we do the ABC song and our pronunciation of 'Z' does gently caress up the rhyming structure but we just go with it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oh yeah, do the commonwealth countries even do the ABC song? because doesn’t their hosed up “zed” thing gently caress up the whole rhyming structure at the end?

The English way of singing it is possiblyy way more popular than the American way of singing it since RP is how ESL is or at least was taught all over the non-anglophone world.

e: What I don't get is how you can make it work without all the letters of the alphabet. I mean Å, Ä, and Ö are an integral part of the lyrics.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah we do the ABC song and our pronunciation of 'Z' does gently caress up the rhyming structure but we just go with it.
you just gotta sing with a guy named Ned or something

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Having lately decided to spend my work break listening to short podcasts with my eyes closed a few times this week, I just realized that my dad might not have been bullshitting me saying "I'm not asleep, I'm just resting my eyes".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He was imagining a life where his son didn't have such stupid loving ideas about goddamn everything.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I learned a version in French class that sounded like a marching tune.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The German version of the ABC song is a bit ADD:

quote:

A B C
The cat was walking in the snow
And when she came home
She was wearing white boots
:v:

And kids are on their own for the rest of the alphabet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pidan posted:

The German version of the ABC song is a bit ADD:

And kids are on their own for the rest of the alphabet.

Huh?
I learned the german alphabet to the same tune as the american one.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Huh?
I learned the german alphabet to the same tune as the american one.

OK there's that too, I guess the one about the cat just left a deeper impression on me :radcat:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

The English way of singing it is possiblyy way more popular than the American way of singing it since RP is how ESL is or at least was taught all over the non-anglophone world.

e: What I don't get is how you can make it work without all the letters of the alphabet. I mean Å, Ä, and Ö are an integral part of the lyrics.

I have no proof but I think that that era is past. Especially outside of Europe.

The thing I came to this thread to post: the country Azerbaijan is linguistically descended from the ancient region/kingdom Atropatene.

Basically a dude names Atropatenes got assigned to rule a part of the old kingdom of Media under Alexander the Great, so the place started getting called variations of "Media Atropatene" depending on what language you spoke. The dude and his descendants kept ruling the area as kings but Alexander swiftly died and his empire collapsed, and soon the "Media" part was dropped. The kingdom, later subjugated into the parthian and then sassanid empires and finally becoming generally accepted as an integral part of Iran, was known locally as "Atropatkan". Over 2000 years Atropatkan became Azerbaijan.

To make things funnier, the historical Atropatkan/Azerbaijan does not include most of the actual country by that name. The breakaway government in 1918 chose it because it signalled distance from the russian conquerors and embraced the local, iranian-influenced culture. Sort of like if a breakaway Arizona republic named itself "Sonora," I guess?

Not bullshit etymology but easily googleable and sourced. Mind blown.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was definitely taught British English at school, but the way most people actually learn the language is through consuming media, and that's largely American in origin. Even many British artists seem to affect an American accent when they sing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My German friends have English accents and use English slang.

It's hilarious to hear them rattle off about someone they don't like in German and then slip in a "daft" in the most posh sounding way.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's interesting. Over here, young people are more likely to have an American accent when they speak English. I mean, obviously a Flemish accent first and foremost, but tending towards American English. With older people it will be more ambiguous.

I notice when I'm internally re-reading a passage from a book or something, it's definitely in a generic pseudo-American accent distilled from years of consuming English-language media.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I learnt A B C D E mein Kopf tut mir so weh

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A B C Dad gay so what, H I J K...

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Phlegmish posted:

I was definitely taught British English at school, but the way most people actually learn the language is through consuming media, and that's largely American in origin. Even many British artists seem to affect an American accent when they sing.

Accents are a funny thing. My father speaks with a very neutral, middle-American accent. His first language was German, second Serbo-Croatian, third English, 4th Latin, 5th Spanish, and then a smattering of others. A bit of Bantu, a bit of Mongolian, lots of language derivatives but not conversational.

Now that his mother, my Oma, is dying, he's staying out in western PA where he grew up. My Ota died some years ago so it's his last connection to the "old country" where he was born.

My conversations on the phone with him have him regressing to his original American accent. He sounds like he's from western PA. I'm waiting for him to start saying "yinz" at this point. His speech is much more aggressive than normal. I'm flying out there to see her this Friday. I'm guessing he's going to be regressed beyond what I've ever seen before. Instead of his normal northern MN behavior, I'm pretty sure that we'll get into a fist fight about the Steelers or something weird like that.

The thing is that, I do the same thing. I always fall into the accents of the area that I'm in too. Especially under stress.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I sometimes speak English to my parents to keep their old brains spry, they both speak the language, or claim to anyway. These conversations are shorter than usual and with a lot of halting pauses, but I trust it's worth it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mary Tyler Moore was a real person and not just a character from a TV show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was born in the US but my parents immigrated so they have accents. I don't, in what I'm pretty sure was a conscious effort not to sound like them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mostlygray posted:

My conversations on the phone with him have him regressing to his original American accent. He sounds like he's from western PA. I'm waiting for him to start saying "yinz" at this point. His speech is much more aggressive than normal. I'm flying out there to see her this Friday. I'm guessing he's going to be regressed beyond what I've ever seen before. Instead of his normal northern MN behavior, I'm pretty sure that we'll get into a fist fight about the Steelers or something weird like that.

The thing is that, I do the same thing. I always fall into the accents of the area that I'm in too. Especially under stress.
Its kind of ridiculous how quickly I started dropping "to be" from things when I moved to Western PA. It took awhile for some of the vowel shifts (Stillers, Dahntahn) to start cropping up, but its there sometimes now too, especially when I'm talking quickly, or am drunk. I didn't really notice it that much until I moved away, either.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I was born in the US but my parents immigrated so they have accents. I don't, in what I'm pretty sure was a conscious effort not to sound like them.

Does that hold true when speaking specifically and exclusively to them as well?

People generally develop and use different registers depending on the social situation and interlocutor(s) involved. My parents are West Flemings who ended up in Brabant and made a conscious effort to raise their children in Standard Dutch, while still speaking in West-Flemish dialect to each other. I now speak with an unremarkable Brabantian accent in daily life, but when talking to my parents or my sister, I will automatically use a slightly more 'proper' register simply out of habit - for example, using 'je' instead of 'ge'. I also have a passive knowledge of West-Flemish simply from listening to my parents speak to each other.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

fullroundaction posted:

If you use any Photoshop-type program and you copy/paste an element it almost always appears what seems to be at a random place on the screen, usually offset from the original by a small amount. This always drove me crazy because it feels chaotic and arbitrary (I know you can paste in place).

Today I realized that it’s a very intentional design because if that didn’t happen there’d be no visual feedback for the user to let them know the paste had occurred.

If you manually select the element you wish to copy in the layers submenu and drag it over the New Layer icon, it creates a copy in the exact same position.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

People generally develop and use different registers depending on the social situation and interlocutor(s) involved. My parents are West Flemings who ended up in Brabant and made a conscious effort to raise their children in Standard Dutch, while still speaking in West-Flemish dialect to each other. I now speak with an unremarkable Brabantian accent in daily life, but when talking to my parents or my sister, I will automatically use a slightly more 'proper' register simply out of habit - for example, using 'je' instead of 'ge'. I also have a passive knowledge of West-Flemish simply from listening to my parents speak to each other.

In the US it goes beyond just register switching, in my experience. Very early on, for example, I learned that southern accents = idiot in pop culture, and so made an active effort to speak unlike my parents. This is super common among southern kids, afaik. And the end result is that not only do I lack a southern accent- despite being a native texan, I can’t sound like one if I try.

Most regional or foreign accents are associated with being ignorant and so most kids train themselves out of it from an early age.

I’m from rural west Texas but the most common guess as to where my accent is from is “Toronto”

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
See also the lower-class Boston accent. I lived with somebody with that accent for ten years, so when we spoke to each other (I'm a Texan), we sounded like normal people, but around my family I drop into Texan mumbling he can't understand, and when somebody cut us off in traffic, he'd go full Denis FUCKIN Leary.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My best friend is Australian and his parents are from India and whilst he has a strong Australian accent I got the shock of my life when he answered his phone to them and suddenly changed to an incredibly think Indian accent. I thought he was joking at first and he didn't realise he did it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Maybe once upon a time, but not anymore.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the US it goes beyond just register switching, in my experience. Very early on, for example, I learned that southern accents = idiot in pop culture, and so made an active effort to speak unlike my parents. This is super common among southern kids, afaik. And the end result is that not only do I lack a southern accent- despite being a native texan, I can’t sound like one if I try.

Most regional or foreign accents are associated with being ignorant and so most kids train themselves out of it from an early age.

I’m from rural west Texas but the most common guess as to where my accent is from is “Toronto”

Same.

I grew up in Memphis and friends in family would often give me a "where're you from?" because I consciously over-corrected my accent. I drop into Southerisms occasionally now that I am middle-aged and have a half-life-time of living to define me instead of how I speak. Also, "y'all" is the best word and everyone should use it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

We find a way to make it work.

La-Zed Boy recliners and the rapper Jay-Zed are awkward though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aleph Null posted:

Same.

I grew up in Memphis and friends in family would often give me a "where're you from?" because I consciously over-corrected my accent. I drop into Southerisms occasionally now that I am middle-aged and have a half-life-time of living to define me instead of how I speak. Also, "y'all" is the best word and everyone should use it.

Y'all is an objectively necessary word in the english language.

However, I cannot say it without sounding like a carpetbagger. I've developed the exact opposite way. After living in Ontario few a few years and already having a weak rear end drawl, I now say stuff like "soarry" and do the east Canada/midwestern tonal thing a lot where you go "SoooOO? or whatever.

Meanwhile my parents and grandparents still say "melk" and "harses" and "dayum"

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

rodbeard posted:

Her real name was Laura Petrie, although when she divorced her husband Rob she changed it to Mary Richards.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

rodbeard posted:

So was Dick Van Dyke

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Nudity in art is when a clothed person disrobes while nakedness is a natural state.

Even though I've always known the phrase, 'naked as a jay bird' and 'nudity is in the eye of the beholder.'

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Feb 6, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Nudity in art is when a clothed person disrobes while nakedness is a natural state.

Even though I've always known the phrase, 'naked as a jay bird' and 'nudity is in the eye of the beholder.'

Again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

:gowron:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MariusLecter posted:

What?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry folks but it looks that first one is actually correct.

http://www.artandpopularculture.com/On_the_difference_between_nakedness_and_nudity

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pocket Billiards posted:

We find a way to make it work.

La-Zed Boy recliners and the rapper Jay-Zed are awkward though.

Zed Zed Top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just because one dude thinks English speakers as a whole make a distinction between nudity and nakedness doesn't mean they do. I mean, we all know they don't.