Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Collateral Damage posted:

They haven't registered the domain.

Bonus: It's taken.

By their competitor :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

And further to the above, an insistence that you "just get me that domain, do something, just put some effort in and stop saying no all the time"

Also "This 'quitter' attitude is why you will NEVER make management!"

EDIT: No quote is not quote.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 31, 2018

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in

"Customer states *company* hotspot is causing health issues with her body. Customer requests callback"

Well that one's getting added to the recordbooks. I feel bad for whoever has to call them back.

Change the SSID to "HEALING ENERGY WAVES"

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Dick Trauma posted:

At the very end of the conversation I identified a serious problem. I expect you all can guess what it was.

a 25mb excel file attachment

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Change the SSID to "HEALING ENERGY WAVES"
:lol:
Put a big ol chunk of Himalayan salt by the antenna

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bob Morales posted:

:lol:
Put a big ol chunk of Himalayan salt by the antenna

I'll have someone douse it in essential oils while they're installing the salt.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in

"Customer states *company* hotspot is causing health issues with her body. Customer requests callback"

Well that one's getting added to the recordbooks. I feel bad for whoever has to call them back.

We have a crazy who lives near the airport who has put in some doozies over the years. First he claimed that the air traffic controllers in the tower were spying on him with binoculars. His latest is when the nearby solar farm went online, it put a buzz in his phone line and wants them shut down immediately.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Collateral Damage posted:

They haven't registered the domain.

Bonus: It's taken.

:thumbsup:

The good news is that an alternative is available. The bidding starts at $3k. Considering the value of the project they might actually go for it, but no one has told me to do it so I don't care.

At the end of next month I'll wrap up my third year at this dumb place. We're having our first ALL-STAFF STATUS UPDATE MEETING this week which is a several hour long after-work affair that should be chock full of bullshit and drama.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

After work?

Nope.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

wolrah posted:

I'm so glad they finally pulled their heads out of their asses and started supporting 802.3af/at like every other reasonable vendor.

We're 802.3 as gently caress

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

:thumbsup:

The good news is that an alternative is available. The bidding starts at $3k. Considering the value of the project they might actually go for it, but no one has told me to do it so I don't care.

Is that alternative owned by you, under a false name?

If not, why not?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Thanks Ants posted:

After work?

Nope.
For real. If I did subject myself to that, they'd better drat well expect me in late the next day.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is still a point of confusion for me, their docs are inconsistent about which models of their cameras do and don't support active PoE with or without inline or AC adapters. Their datasheets disagree with their own knowledgebase entry.
The cameras are still a bit of a mess. All current production models support standard PoE but there are still a lot of older models in the distribution chain, some of which have the same model number. They had the same issue when the af capable versions of the ACLite and ACLR access points came out, and with those a few slipped out early and they tried to act like they weren't changing anything for a while because they wanted to clear out stock of the 24v models. At least with the APs the .af models had a sticker on the box saying so clearly, not sure about the cameras.

Farking Bastage posted:

We have a crazy who lives near the airport who has put in some doozies over the years. First he claimed that the air traffic controllers in the tower were spying on him with binoculars. His latest is when the nearby solar farm went online, it put a buzz in his phone line and wants them shut down immediately.
That's not actually implausible, phone lines are pretty good at picking up stray electromagnetic energy and a solar farm presumably has big inverters that could probably leak some serious energy at 60Hz if something's not right. If his line passes near it I can believe it.

That said, obviously that should be something he should be reporting to the telco and letting them handle with the solar company, not going to the city. One would assume it'd be impacting other phone customers in his area too.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

We're 802.3 as gently caress
Perfect.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

wolrah posted:

That's not actually implausible, phone lines are pretty good at picking up stray electromagnetic energy and a solar farm presumably has big inverters that could probably leak some serious energy at 60Hz if something's not right. If his line passes near it I can believe it.

That said, obviously that should be something he should be reporting to the telco and letting them handle with the solar company, not going to the city. One would assume it'd be impacting other phone customers in his area too.

Oh I get that. Being in government we have to be nice. I clipped in a lineman's handset and it's clear as a bell. Turns out his 2.4ghz cordless phones are the culprit. :rolleyes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ubiquiti cameras are weird because there's about 3 of them and they don't work with anything that isn't Ubiquiti's own software. I don't know why you'd buy them over any of the Onvif-supporting vendors that compete in the same price bracket.

Unless you're one of those people pining for Ubiquiti to make everything so you can buy it from them, which is why they're now making PoE-powered lights and switches. I just can't see them doing anything that comes close to providing long-term support for that sort of product.

EdgeRouter stuff, Wi-Fi, point-to-point wireless, go hog wild. But I can't find compelling reasons to be interested in any of the other things they make.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

After work?

Nope.

It's mandatory. How else can you build team spirit?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Ubiquiti cameras are weird because there's about 3 of them and they don't work with anything that isn't Ubiquiti's own software. I don't know why you'd buy them over any of the Onvif-supporting vendors that compete in the same price bracket.

Unless you're one of those people pining for Ubiquiti to make everything so you can buy it from them, which is why they're now making PoE-powered lights and switches. I just can't see them doing anything that comes close to providing long-term support for that sort of product.

EdgeRouter stuff, Wi-Fi, point-to-point wireless, go hog wild. But I can't find compelling reasons to be interested in any of the other things they make.

Do I need to go into another rant about the clusterfuck that us UBNT's camera system? Because I can do it again, if people still want to use their camera system. After working for them for a brief period, I'm never touching anything of theirs that isn't a wireless AP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The answer is always :justpost:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

chin up everything sucks posted:

After working for them for a brief period, I'm never touching anything of theirs that isn't a wireless AP.

Are the switches that bad? I don't really have any gripes with my EdgeRouter X aside from the terrible CLI syntax.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

It's mandatory. How else can you build team spirit?

I really dig the way we handle it.

If it's a mandatory company wide thing (quarterly meeting or whatnot) they schedule it for the end of the day, normally 3:00 or 4:00 PM. Kegs are rolled in and people enjoy a beer or two during and after the meeting if they wish. Once it's over, you're not expected to return to work, but if you have to (people are expected to be Responsible Adults and make a judgement call as to whether or not they need to keep working), you're free to keep enjoying beverages until you are done and can either drive home or expense a rideshare if you feel like you need to, no questions asked.

Some people bail immediately after, but most of the time people will drink and hang out and bullshit, sometimes about work but often not, until 5:00 or so. People will actively help others finish their work for the day so everyone can enjoy some downtime.

When we do events for charity (most recently a dodgeball tournament) it's much of the same, minus the mandatory part. You're encouraged to participate or at least cheer your teammates on, but it's understood that people have lives outside of work and striking a balance is actively encouraged.

You'd guess we're a tiny company but there's like 800 of us now. It's really difficult to maintain a culture like this but if you must do mandatory things, do them during the work day, make them not suck, and people will generally not hate them.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sheep posted:

Are the switches that bad? I don't really have any gripes with my EdgeRouter X aside from the terrible CLI syntax.

The switches were still in development when I left, so I don't know.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

The cameras support standard RTSP these days so you're not just tied to their software anymore, but I agree I haven't really been impressed by them overall. Their NVR appliance is literally a random shitbox PC that they slapped a lightly customized Debian install on. I have three customers using the cameras and we just run the official software in a VM on a NAS.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

nullfunction posted:

I really dig the way we handle it.

This company is 30 years old but has never grown much beyond 50 people. They have never functioned as a proper company and this meeting is an attempt to act like one, with powerpoint presentations even! We will all sit there dutifully for three hours while the important people talk about the mission statement they spent over six months on that cost us about $100k and is typical meaningless corporate BS. There will be minor swag handed out, because real companies have swag. They'll introduce some new executives, and by "introduce" I mean ambush people who didn't realize they are no longer going to be department heads as folks have been brought on over them.

So.. fun for all!

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

So.. fun for all!

:sever:

Culture is the #1 thing I look for, and it's hard to get a feel for what all it actually entails before you've spent a few months working there, so I rely heavily on my network for that.

I really lucked out in finding a place with an excellent culture, great pay, and decent benefits (could be better but are made up for by the other factors, and the company has pledged to improve them over the coming years).

I found that if I'm at a place where I was miserable for 8 hours a day it bled over into other aspects of my life. I made a promise to myself not to do that again, for my sake and the people around me.

I busted my rear end for many years to get to where I'm at, but it means I'm out of the day-to-day break/fix ticket queue, which has been liberating.

I've followed your story for a while now and I know you're a hard worker and clearly have the smarts to know you're capable of more. It's never too late to find something that makes you happy. :)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A corporate restructuring came in:

My boss (IT Director) no longer reports to the CEO and now reports to the VP of Marketing and Communication

Apparently she was just as confused when the announcement came down as we were and promises to take a hands off approach to our department.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

This company is 30 years old but has never grown much beyond 50 people. They have never functioned as a proper company and this meeting is an attempt to act like one, with powerpoint presentations even! We will all sit there dutifully for three hours while the important people talk about the mission statement they spent over six months on that cost us about $100k and is typical meaningless corporate BS. There will be minor swag handed out, because real companies have swag. They'll introduce some new executives, and by "introduce" I mean ambush people who didn't realize they are no longer going to be department heads as folks have been brought on over them.

So.. fun for all!

Oooh these are always fun. Will they put up the targets for the next year / three years and then not provide any information on how they think they're going to get there?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

The cameras support standard RTSP these days so you're not just tied to their software anymore, but I agree I haven't really been impressed by them overall. Their NVR appliance is literally a random shitbox PC that they slapped a lightly customized Debian install on. I have three customers using the cameras and we just run the official software in a VM on a NAS.

I'm pretty sure their software is also just a customized (albeit heavily) version of ZoneMinder. And last I looked it saves "video" in quite possibly the most space in-efficient format possible. A bunch of individual JPEG snapshots.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Do I need to go into another rant about the clusterfuck that us UBNT's camera system? Because I can do it again, if people still want to use their camera system. After working for them for a brief period, I'm never touching anything of theirs that isn't a wireless AP.

Please do. I bought a couple Ubiquiti switches, USG, and cloud key, thinking that I'd probably need them to power and control their special snowflake cameras.
I haven't bought the cameras yet.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please do. I bought a couple Ubiquiti switches, USG, and cloud key, thinking that I'd probably need them to power and control their special snowflake cameras.
I haven't bought the cameras yet.

So, when I was doing tech support for UBNT, there were four of us doing support for them, total. This was... 5-6 years ago. Their camera system and their TUFF Cable were our bane, as tickets about them NEVER ended well.

At the time, the Camera team was a bunch of people in Lithuania, and the NVR team were in the USA. These guys basically didn't talk to eachother. The cameras wanted to stream video, and the NVR wasn't even a dedicated NVR, it was just a software package you installed on a standard PC. So if you had more than a couple cameras set to record at once, you would only get SOME of the video because the cameras would fight over the connection to the computer, and the NVR didn't care, it just recorded whatever made it through the network bottleneck.

This was a known issue, and had been for several YEARS. Their solution was to start designing their new NVR box, rather than figuring out how other security camera systems worked.

But during this multi-year period they kept selling these cameras as security camera systems, and we would constantly get people emailing in saying "Hey, I need some video for legal reasons and I can't find it..." and our response was "If you can't find it, it's not there, this system doesn't work with more than 3 or maybe 4 cameras at once".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Fool posted:

Apparently she was just as confused when the announcement came down as we were and promises to take a hands off approach to our department.

That'll last just until she has some stupid project that needs doing, and she now has the power to bully you into doing because she's the boss now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Oooh these are always fun. Will they put up the targets for the next year / three years and then not provide any information on how they think they're going to get there?

I am probably a target for next year.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So, when I was doing tech support for UBNT, there were four of us doing support for them, total. This was... 5-6 years ago. Their camera system and their TUFF Cable were our bane, as tickets about them NEVER ended well.

At the time, the Camera team was a bunch of people in Lithuania, and the NVR team were in the USA. These guys basically didn't talk to eachother. The cameras wanted to stream video, and the NVR wasn't even a dedicated NVR, it was just a software package you installed on a standard PC. So if you had more than a couple cameras set to record at once, you would only get SOME of the video because the cameras would fight over the connection to the computer, and the NVR didn't care, it just recorded whatever made it through the network bottleneck.

This was a known issue, and had been for several YEARS. Their solution was to start designing their new NVR box, rather than figuring out how other security camera systems worked.

Thanks for this. To answer your question as to why anyone would buy their cameras is that I didn't know any better so I was planning to, now I am not. Ubiquiti is still pushed hard by the home networking thread here and without a point of contention like this why wouldn't you buy everything from the same vendor?

But during this multi-year period they kept selling these cameras as security camera systems, and we would constantly get people emailing in saying "Hey, I need some video for legal reasons and I can't find it..." and our response was "If you can't find it, it's not there, this system doesn't work with more than 3 or maybe 4 cameras at once".

They sell them in packs of 5 :argh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just got out of a meeting to learn about my new org's cloud strategy. We've already spun up a virtual data center, and that project is being nicknamed 'Base Camp'. All the announcements and presentations are heavily relying on mountain climbing imagery, most of it being photos of or graphics based on Everest. This leads me to wonder...

-What's our timeline for reaching the death zone?
-How long do we need to acclimatize at a partly cloudy level?
-Can I call the VDC members sherpas?
-Which team is going to be left behind on our summit attempt, stuck at the height of the project with no hope for rescue, fated to be forever memorialized like Green Boots? (I bet it's virtualization)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Thanks for this. To answer your question as to why anyone would buy their cameras is that I didn't know any better so I was planning to, now I am not. Ubiquiti is still pushed hard by the home networking thread here and without a point of contention like this why wouldn't you buy everything from the same vendor?

They sell them in packs of 5 :argh:

Ubiquiti has a long history of their marketing department being about 2 years ahead of their R&D department. They routinely put out products where major marketed features are not actually available until months or years after the initial product release.

It's just what they do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

Just got out of a meeting to learn about my new org's cloud strategy. We've already spun up a virtual data center, and that project is being nicknamed 'Base Camp'. All the announcements and presentations are heavily relying on mountain climbing imagery, most of it being photos of or graphics based on Everest. This leads me to wonder...

-What's our timeline for reaching the death zone?
-How long do we need to acclimatize at a partly cloudy level?
-Can I call the VDC members sherpas?
-Which team is going to be left behind on our summit attempt, stuck at the height of the project with no hope for rescue, fated to be forever memorialized like Green Boots? (I bet it's virtualization)

All projects quoted in multiples of 127 hours

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My boss just stopped by and I shared with him my Everest jokes. Think I probably weirded him out.

:v: "Do you climb?"
:j: Hah, no, I'm just fascinated by all the stories of arrogant assholes who get themselves killed on Everest! By the way have you read Into Thin Air?? ok I didn't actually say that, but I DID recommend the book.

Still trying to work out a good IT analogy for the Khumbu Icefall though. Something something automation spitting out an instance at the bottom?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stevewm posted:

Ubiquiti has a long history of their marketing department being about 2 years ahead of their R&D department. They routinely put out products where major marketed features are not actually available until months or years after the initial product release.

It's just what they do.

Yeah, if you need to do more than a Home/Home Office or Branch Office needing 3 AP or less for coverage, Ubiquiti will probably meet your needs.

For anything larger (and especially if you're going to have more than 30 APs at a single location) I recommend Extreme's WiNG* based APs (NOT the ExOS based ones) or Cisco APs. Aruba is a valid choice if you can't get/afford Extreme or Cisco, but they lack some base features that Extreme and Cisco have out of the box (at least last I looked).

Personally, my experience is mostly with WiNG and the stability and MTBF of the APs is pretty impressive.

* - Previously Motorola's WiNG APs

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It will indeed be a 2/3 AP home office with the ol' security cams and 48 active ports.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

It will indeed be a 2/3 AP home office with the ol' security cams and 48 active ports.

Then overall, Ubiquiti is probably a solid choice. Except for the cameras as mentioned earlier in thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

If you happen to know Mikrotik, RouterOS has a built in wireless controller.