Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

He also isn't that same kind of humble-brag type of guy, either.

Isn't Tony Allen the guy that responded to a question with "First Team All Defense"? That doesn't seem very humble-brag to me.

note: this is not me saying that was a bad thing, because it was definitely awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/billsimmons/status/958744038852587520

Lmao this guy

Hahahah

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Tyreke wouldn't be a good fit to start for Boston, though. He'd be best coming off the bench as a super sub, 20-25 minute type of guy. Boston wouldn't want a high usage, neutral defensive wing in the starting lineup, he'd be way better shoring up a 2nd unit and playing bigger minutes when you can exploit him at the 2.

Its a safe bet that he's likely to regress closer to his career vs what he's doing this year. Someone expecting him to be a 40% 3pt shooter or efficient volume scorer is going to end up really disappointed. How many times do you need to be burned by the "Guy has career year during a contract year" burner?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

G-Hawk posted:

the Rockets played 7 players most the game, with Chris Paul, Ariza, and ingame Eric Gordon out. so harden played 46 minutes and put up a 60 point triple double. it owns.

I am pleased it took a performance unequalled in half a century to defeat the mighty Orlando Magic, who as you may remember are still the best team in the east and shooting 50% from three with their fully healthy team widely considered a title contender

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Tyreke wouldn't be a good fit to start for Boston, though. He'd be best coming off the bench as a super sub, 20-25 minute type of guy. Boston wouldn't want a high usage, neutral defensive wing in the starting lineup, he'd be way better shoring up a 2nd unit and playing bigger minutes when you can exploit him at the 2.

Its a safe bet that he's likely to regress closer to his career vs what he's doing this year. Someone expecting him to be a 40% 3pt shooter or efficient volume scorer is going to end up really disappointed. How many times do you need to be burned by the "Guy has career year during a contract year" burner?

Not to mention Tyreke is like 28% from 3 over the last 10 games. He's crashing back down to earth.\

Had a good game the other night vs Phoenix though and I'd certainly love him to be the 6th man. He'd get all of the shots he could handle

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 31, 2018

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

DeimosRising posted:

I am pleased it took a performance unequalled in half a century to defeat the mighty Orlando Magic, who as you may remember are still the best team in the east and shooting 50% from three with their fully healthy team widely considered a title contender

But this is nearly always the case in extreme performances. Over the last three seasons there have been 32 fifty point games, only 7 of them have been against opponents with winning records (and 3 of those games were losses).

edit I think these numbers aren't quite right, but I deleted the spreadsheet and my point stands anyway.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 31, 2018

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

dokmo posted:

But this is nearly always the case in extreme performances. Over the last three seasons there have been 32 fifty point games, only 7 of them have been against opponents with winning records (and 3 of those games were losses).

2 of those 50 point losses were jimbo earlier this season too, lol

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

#notmymvp

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
oh no :'(

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/958761567893446656

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Time posted:

You could say there's no hesi in that pullup jimbo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Rip :( hard working dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCofesdXtJ4

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the rockets roster is basically designed to assume almost all the offense come from harden, paul, gordon. No one else does anything but shoot 3s setup by one of those three, or finish around the basket, usually from passes by those 3. Aside from anderson the rest of the rotation is basically defensive players who only score because of harden or paul creating things. If you take out paul and gordon it basically takes james harden going insane for them to score enough to beat anyone. Which isn't ideal, but when everyone is healthy it works really well. The big weakness for Houston in the playoffs is one injury basically fucks them.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck :(

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

One of my students called Terry Rozier “Terry Terror”

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://twitter.com/KTVU/status/958754438457450496

Someone stole from Red Panda

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kevin Durant was tired of Red Panda getting all the attention at half time.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I wont believe any Tyreke to Boston rumours until I read two different fan fiction columns discussing what would happen if he did and did not join the Celtics.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Now THIS is a tragedy

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

BWV posted:

I wont believe any Tyreke to Boston rumours until I read two different fan fiction columns discussing what would happen if he did and did not join the Celtics.

I still can't believe those columns are real things that happened. pretty much everything after 2012 has been super weird

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Tragedy compounds--Butler was one of Lamar Odom's few remaining friends. If he wasn't using again yesterday he probably is by today.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

drat that is so loving sad. I loved him when he was on the Pacers.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Casual Rasual :smith:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

dokmo posted:

edit I think these numbers aren't quite right, but I deleted the spreadsheet and my point stands anyway.

Wilt's 100 points came against the 2nd worst team in the league, kobe's 81 points came against the 2nd worst defense in the league (and the worst coach ever), David Robinson's 71 points came against the pre-CP3 clippers, and so on

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

Wilt's 100 points came against the 2nd worst team in the league, kobe's 81 points came against the 2nd worst defense in the league (and the worst coach ever), David Robinson's 71 points came against the pre-CP3 clippers, and so on

Genuinely curious: There have been many terrible, terrible coaches in the league. What do you think makes Sam Mitchell uniquely terrible? I've always heard of him as a trash rear end coach but he was before my time of going full basketball nerd.

I guess he did literally fight his players once or something.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
gently caress Sam Mitchell

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EvanTH posted:

Tragedy compounds--Butler was one of Lamar Odom's few remaining friends. If he wasn't using again yesterday he probably is by today.

gently caress. That’s really unfortunate.

For what it’s worth I never knew much about Rasual. When I googled him to read about the crash I decided to click his Instagram instead. He seemed like a good dude. I’m going to spend a little time seeing what he was about. Really a shame. RIP.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress. That’s really unfortunate.

For what it’s worth I never knew much about Rasual. When I googled him to read about the crash I decided to click his Instagram instead. He seemed like a good dude. I’m going to spend a little time seeing what he was about. Really a shame. RIP.

He could be described as a good friend and a pro's pro.

----

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/958796054966697984

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Genuinely curious: There have been many terrible, terrible coaches in the league. What do you think makes Sam Mitchell uniquely terrible? I've always heard of him as a trash rear end coach but he was before my time of going full basketball nerd.

Think of all of Casey's negative qualities, without the stuff like Lowry swearing by him as a coach. Then compound that with being a dick to media, and physically trying to fight the franchise player.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Ah poo poo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Nns5OLOuM

heres the harden makes/assists. Theres some really ridiculous shots and passes in there, too.

Obviously I'm a Harden fan but I question the assist given at 1:12 where he dumps it to Nene who gathers, faces up to the basket, then dribble drives for his bucket

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rasual Butler shot the game-winning shot or close to it for the Bulls first 62 win season with Thibs.

He was one of many the fanbase wanted over Keith Bogans back in the day.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

CRISPYBABY posted:

Specifically in Kobe's 80 point game, Sam Mitchell benched Jalen Rose and other guys who decided to double Kobe. He was leaving him single covered to 'teach them a lesson' because they hadn't been playing hard enough in his eyes.

He seems to be a wise basketball old head in conversation but when it comes to winning the most games you can, not player development, not culture building, anything like that, he was no good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sam is apparently great with developing younger players, he's probably a real solid assistant as long as you make sure there's at least one other coach ahead of him in the succession plan.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still say Kobe outscoring the Mavs through 3 quarters (62-61) was the way more impressive game than the 81 pointer, considering that Mavs team went to the finals that season

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Dejan Bimble posted:

Specifically in Kobe's 80 point game, Sam Mitchell benched Jalen Rose and other guys who decided to double Kobe. He was leaving him single covered to 'teach them a lesson' because they hadn't been playing hard enough in his eyes.

He seems to be a wise basketball old head in conversation but when it comes to winning the most games you can, not player development, not culture building, anything like that, he was no good.

This is basically it. Mitchell did an amazing job developing the Timberwolves players the year Flip died, but he is a great example of why "Coaching for W's" and "Coaching for Development" are venn diagrams without much overlap. Veteran players were really only in support of young guys, guys were allowed to play out of position to build their skills, defense was built around what players should be doing instead of what was working right then, etc.

It's kinda funny, because a lot of the things people say they want from a coach (Play the young guys, don't screw with your rotations just because someone is learning the ropes, don't play boring veterans just because they are ok defenders) is why Sam Mitchell is considered bad and he can't find a job.

Mitchell is a little old school in terms of things like 3 point shooting and pace and liking iso, but I don't think he's quite as bad as his reputation and probably more a function of his teams. I loved how he communicated to fans though, he was really honest on things like LaVine's development and how he wanted to use Dieng. It was nice to have a coach that would talk in interviews like he assumed you knew something about basketball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

edit: Double posted

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Had to smoke all your Cali kush before you crossed state lines I get it buddy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

How can you stop a player that had surgery to turn his hand into a basketball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cBM:

https://twitter.com/jcameratonbcs/status/958826719317721088

Lmao

• Locked thread