Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Also it would suck to try and cool a drink in the Red Sea. I went through there on a ship and the water temperature was in the high 80s which was loving great because our potable water tank was up against the hull so all the "cold" water was coming out at 88 degrees.

2 days past Suez our AC crapped out and it was 95 degrees and 100% humidity, so I got the authentic age of sail experience there. By day 3 we wanted to die because at least it would be cooler. The computer that ran our S-band radar did die - melted the goddamn mobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
While I would not expect much of lofty sails at 100% humidity, surely with the wind you could have arranged a bit of evaporative cooling?

Also I lied, I'm on ten now and have seen a few terms that I can't even place from context. I'll have to flip back some pages to find them; the only one I remember is after they paint the ship then "Badger-Bag comes aboard to shave the crew". http://www.cannonade.net/static_map.php?map_name=HMS_Surprise&id=114512

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

While I would not expect much of lofty sails at 100% humidity, surely with the wind you could have arranged a bit of evaporative cooling?

Also I lied, I'm on ten now and have seen a few terms that I can't even place from context. I'll have to flip back some pages to find them; the only one I remember is after they paint the ship then "Badger-Bag comes aboard to shave the crew". http://www.cannonade.net/static_map.php?map_name=HMS_Surprise&id=114512

https://books.google.com/books?id=e...neptune&f=false

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I found another googly book that mentioned Neptune as well. Many thanks.

"..., something hairy in the background that might have been a sloth or an anteater or even a doormat but that it farted from time to time, looking round censoriously on each occasion, ..." :haw:

Edit: And how I managed to miss the horseshoe splice until now I shall not guess.

Edit: Remembered another one, the Molter Vivace pun. Definitely had to look up that one.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 28, 2018

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

It's an extremely old tradition that's still part of the modern Navy (or at least the USN): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Ah that is a much better summary. Hazing. Makes sense now.

Just finished 11 having no recollection of anything other than the appearance of Samuel the son, which I didn't realize right away but remembered before it was explained. Also the episode with Jack and the pillory, though I had not remembered the outcome.

I have a few more images in mind that have yet to happen, but I can't give them much order. Steady as she goes, onward to The Letter of Marque.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ah that is a much better summary. Hazing. Makes sense now.

Just finished 11 having no recollection of anything other than the appearance of Samuel the son, which I didn't realize right away but remembered before it was explained. Also the episode with Jack and the pillory, though I had not remembered the outcome.

I have a few more images in mind that have yet to happen, but I can't give them much order. Steady as she goes, onward to The Letter of Marque.

The funny thing is as crazy as Reverse of the Medal was, O'Brian had to dampen the real trial of Cochrane because it would be too crazy for a novel. In the real trial the color of a lapel was a crucial disputed point and the politics behind it were way more nuts and petty.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I was actually sad because the prelude said that he kept to the true account, but there's only 1.5 pages where the terribly ill lawyer gives his disconnected account of the proceedings. I was really hoping for some in-court dialogue at least.

Oh well, I'll have to scratch that itch by watching 'Witness for the Prosecution' again.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Instead of being productive I have spent some time going through old Patrick O'Brian newsletters from his publisher, each one has a short piece from O'Brian himself and some of you may enjoy it as I have: http://www.wwnorton.com/pob/pobnews.htm

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PlushCow posted:

Instead of being productive I have spent some time going through old Patrick O'Brian newsletters from his publisher, each one has a short piece from O'Brian himself and some of you may enjoy it as I have: http://www.wwnorton.com/pob/pobnews.htm

This is great, thanks!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
my wife got me the hornblower series for christmas and I've elected to read them in publication order. I'm up to the hotspur.

also Patrick Tull's Wan Da accent: yeesh.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wow so the middle-ending of Thirteen Gun got a bit tedious, along with the start of Nutmeg. I'm fairly certain I appreciated the jungle scenes and natural history a bit more than fifteen years ago, but then they got shipwrecked, which is an okay cliffhanger ending, but which was disappointing.

I remembered a few things from Nutmeg, but not that opening. I remembered the whole bank thing but that was fairly well foreshadowed and I forgot that paperwork legalities saved him. I was on the last chapter before the platypus realization kicked in, at which point I knew that was going to be the last paragraph ten pages hence.

Halfway through Truelove but not remembering much of the plot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Truelove is a good one, I like the books that dive more into the personal dynamics of a ships crew.

How is the unfinished voyage? I just finished Blue at the Mizzen and thought it was an excellent way to end the series. Is the Final Voyage worth reading?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm on the last chapter of the first book in the series and have really loved it, even if many of the nautical descriptions go by me. The relationship between Jack and Stephen is so genuine, and the book is often really funny. One thing that was a throwaway line from Stephen very early on has me curious though. He mentions - only once - that he's recently been absorbed in cryptograms and so far it hasn't been touched on again. It's kept me guessing at an undercurrent of espionage throughout the whole book.

Definitely going to pick up A Sea of Words before starting Post Captain, but I'm glad to hear that the quality of the 20 finished books doesn't waver much.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm on the last chapter of the first book in the series and have really loved it, even if many of the nautical descriptions go by me. The relationship between Jack and Stephen is so genuine, and the book is often really funny. One thing that was a throwaway line from Stephen very early on has me curious though. He mentions - only once - that he's recently been absorbed in cryptograms and so far it hasn't been touched on again. It's kept me guessing at an undercurrent of espionage throughout the whole book.

Definitely going to pick up A Sea of Words before starting Post Captain, but I'm glad to hear that the quality of the 20 finished books doesn't waver much.

Did he say Cryptogram, or Cryptogams ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptogam

(this is an intentional bit of confusion on the part of O'Brian)

quote:

During World War II, the Government Code and Cypher School recruited Geoffrey Tandy, a marine biologist expert in cryptogams, to Station X, Bletchley Park when someone confused these with cryptograms.[4][5][6] At Bletchley his technical expertise allowed him to salvage a waterlogged codebook which helped crack the Enigma code.[4][5]

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Ah, hell you're right :downs:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Lockback posted:

Truelove is a good one, I like the books that dive more into the personal dynamics of a ships crew.

How is the unfinished voyage? I just finished Blue at the Mizzen and thought it was an excellent way to end the series. Is the Final Voyage worth reading?

Don't bother with The Unfinished Voyage. It's only a few chapters and not worth the full price of a novel. It's nice to know, and comforting in a way, that Jack and Stephen's adventures together would continue after Blue at the Mizzen. As you say Blue at the Mizzen was an excellent end to the series.

Unfinished Voyage has some scanned pages of O'Brian's own handwriting and it's neat to see how for a dinner party scene he had drawn out the table and who was sitting where.

If you're interested you can get a hint of where O'Brian was going, in the Amazon preview of the novel, that it was going to be influenced by Thomas Cochrane's service in Chile and the independence of Peru https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cochrane,_10th_Earl_of_Dundonald#Chilean_Navy

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PlushCow posted:

Don't bother with The Unfinished Voyage. It's only a few chapters and not worth the full price of a novel. It's nice to know, and comforting in a way, that Jack and Stephen's adventures together would continue after Blue at the Mizzen. As you say Blue at the Mizzen was an excellent end to the series.

Unfinished Voyage has some scanned pages of O'Brian's own handwriting and it's neat to see how for a dinner party scene he had drawn out the table and who was sitting where.

If you're interested you can get a hint of where O'Brian was going, in the Amazon preview of the novel, that it was going to be influenced by Thomas Cochrane's service in Chile and the independence of Peru https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cochrane,_10th_Earl_of_Dundonald#Chilean_Navy

Thanks! It's weird to have read all 20 in they last 6 months but then leave the unfinished voyage, but I also feel, I dunno, dirty reading a story that wasn't meant to be published.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

FYI, Post Captain is maybe the lowest point in the series and hardest to get through. HMS surprise is I think the best of the whole lot and it's really the second half of the story started in Post Captain. Commit to reading them both. Before (or after) Mauritius command is a good break point anyway if you don't just charge though it.

The naval terminology actually gets a little lighter and easier to read as a non sailor too, the first book is the most dense. And Stephen never learns a damned thing.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 1, 2018

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The last fifty pages of Wine Dark Sea contain perhaps the greatest number of ridiculous munged metaphors of the series, both from Jack and Stephen. Whereas one usually stumbles and notes the attempt isn't quite right, the other charges ahead blindly. If you've read them you know who is whom.

We have some new readers! Time to use those spoiler tags.

I remembered approximately zero of Wine, though I somehow knew what was up with the screwed up sea colors and wind in the beginning. The ending is actually really good and hard to put down because they're suddenly being chased and ice is looming and it's scary to think that POB would end it there without resolution which he did once before.

Oh yes, I also remembered the mercury poisoning, but thought that they spent half a book or more trying to cure it. Maybe that's later.

And some laughter...

"As for the boat itself let it be tossed off with a round turn"

"she lost the mast, the spar, the thing in front --- the bowsprout"

"He counted his chickens without his host"

Also I only recently realized that perhaps there's something British blocking me from fully grasping... "Do you know about duty?" "I believe I have heard it well spoken of". Yes I get it, and it's not the first appearance of the phrase, but I just decided that maybe I don't actually know what tone of voice was used. I've always imagined the smoothest delivery, no emphasis, but it seems much more likely that a fractious tone would have been used. But then surely they wouldn't get along so well.

"Oh she has a hull as well, has she? I was not aware."

Edit: Content additions concluded.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 1, 2018

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lockback posted:

Thanks! It's weird to have read all 20 in they last 6 months but then leave the unfinished voyage, but I also feel, I dunno, dirty reading a story that wasn't meant to be published.

FYI, Post Captain is maybe the lowest point in the series and hardest to get through. HMS surprise is I think the best of the whole lot and it's really the second half of the story started in Post Captain. Commit to reading them both. Before (or after) Mauritius command is a good break point anyway if you don't just charge though it.

The naval terminology actually gets a little lighter and easier to read as a non sailor too, the first book is the most dense. And Stephen never learns a damned thing.

I've read through the whole series several times and never touched 21. I read a summary once and it seemed nice but I've got no interest.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Quick informal poll --

Are people starting these books because they found this thread, or finding this thread after they've read the books for the first time?

Books -> movie -> thread -> books

I first came across the books at my grandparents' place when I was about 11 or 12, read the first few pages of Master and Commander and sort of stored the rest of the titles away in my head. Shortly afterwards the film came out, which I greatly enjoyed, but it wasn't until many years later that I actually read the books as a result of this thread recommending the series as being infinitely better than Hornblower.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
If you want to buy Jack's dress uniform Russel Crowe is selling a bunch of props and accoutrements from his movies
https://www.sothebysaustralia.com.au/list/AU0822/34

I just hope whoever adopts Killick gives him a loving forever home

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I didn't realize Christy-Palliere was real:

quote:

Born in Dinan, Côtes-du-Nord, to a captain of the French East India Company, Christy-Pallière began his sailing career in 1773, as an apprentice on an East Indiaman. He was ensign in 1774 and voyaged to China and to India in 1776-1777.

On 8 May 1778,[1] Christy-Pallière joined the French Royal Navy, serving as a lieutenant aboard the frigate Surveillante and taking part in the Battle of Ushant. From February 1779, Christy-Pallière served as an ensign on the 64-gun ship Sévère, in Suffren's squadron. In 1782, he served aboard the 74-gun Orient; the ship ran aground as he was on duty and upon his return to France, in 1784, he was expelled from the Navy, in spite of his captain having been on deck at the time of the incident.

On 1 March 1793,[1] Christy-Pallière was reinstated into the Navy and promoted to captain. He took command of the Sans Pareil, and later of the Scévola. In January 1794, as a nobleman, Christy-Pallière was removed from duty, but reinstated in November. From the ship Dix-août,[1] he commanded a frigate division, and later captained the ship Convention. In 1799, he was general adjutant of the Océan, supervising the general staff of Admiral Bruix during the expedition to the Mediterranean.

He then went on to command the 74-gun ship Tyrannicide, which was renamed Desaix in 1801. On 3 July 1801, Desaix captured HMS Speedy, captained by Lord Cochrane; brought aboard, Cochrane handed over his sword, which Christy-Pallière refused in recognition of Cochrane's achievements. Christy-Pallière took part in the ensuing Battle of Algeciras Bay.

In 1803, Christy-Pallière was put in charge of the military harbour of Brest. From 1805 to 1815, he commanded the harbour of Toulon. He also periodically relieved the préfet maritime, Jean-Marthe-Adrien l'Hermite, who was often too ill to serve.

Christy-Pallière was retired on 31 December 1815, was reinstated in March 1816, and retired again at the Bourbon Restoration in July 1816, with the honorary rank of contre-amiral.

He died in Toulon in 1829.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Anne_Christy_de_la_Palli%C3%A8re

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Rut roh, two hundred pages of Yellow Admiral then only two more to go. How will I survive after I finish? :confuoot:

Edit: Other than a short break, I've been cracking on. I guess I started mid November.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 9, 2018

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Read them again!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Lots of real people pop up here and there. My favorite is Heneage Dundas:

quote:

Rear Admiral George Heneage Lawrence Dundas CB (8 September 1778 – 7 October 1834) was a senior officer in the Royal Navy. As a junior officer he came to prominence due to his brave conduct during a fire on the first-rate HMS Queen Charlotte. As a result of this he was appointed to the command of the sixth-rate HMS Calpe in which he took part in the Battle of Algeciras Bay in July 1801

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Dundas_(British_admiral)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

jerman999 posted:

Read them again!

Yeah, I'm starting in on a new readthrough now. It's always a great feeling, every few years, to return again to that tall, handsome, pillared octagon . . . .

Oh, the happiness on his face. The light on his face!

edit:

going back over the thread to review, this is still the best post I have ever made on these forums:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393240&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post434657750

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 9, 2018

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

PlushCow posted:

Belated thanks for these & a strong recommendation to read for anyone who already hasn’t done so. O’Brian’s voice is so comically strong that it’s almost like Aubrey-Maturin flash fiction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://immortalmemoryblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/15/minorca-aubrey-and-maturin-become-part-of-the-immortal-memory/

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lockback posted:

Post Captain is the hardest to get through, but arguably the most important book of the whole series, setting up all the domestic parts for the rest of the series. It's also the most masterfully written in my opinion, full of subtleties and nuances and a series that's already so perfectly written. But Jack behaving like a scrub the whole book and Stephen's resentment and depression makes it very hard to read or re-read. Them being on the worst ship ever built with a crew that's not very happy for most of the book parts on sea (not many in the first place) doesn't help either.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 12, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Decius posted:

Post Captain is the hardest to get through, but arguably the most important book of the whole series, setting up all the domestic parts for the rest of the series. It's also the most masterfully written in my opinion, full of subtleties and nuances and a series that's already so perfectly written. But Jack behaving like a scrub the whole book and Stephen's resentment and depression makes it very hard to read or re-read. Them being on the worst ship ever built with a crew that's not very happy for most of the book parts on sea (not many in the first place) doesn't help either.

It's crazy how much stuff happens in it. I just re-read it yesterday and there's so much plot essential stuff in there.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm nearly done with Post Captain, and it was nice to see some of my suspicions from Master and Commander confirmed. The Jane Austen-ish drawing room drama isn't much to my taste but thankfully only a few chapters are reserved for it and the rest is very good.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Post captain has a ship full of bees, it can't be bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Decius posted:

As MeatwadIsGod mentioned, the drawing room stuff was not the series strongest suit, and the I think the tone suffered from the listlessness of the characters more than it should have. I don't think it's a bad book, but it does strike a tone that is different than Master and Commander and isn't really returned to until the trial. I really give my warning since Post Captain and HMS Surprise are really a continuation of one another, the reader can get dogged down by Post Captain when you really need to read those two together, both are essential to one another. That and HMS Surprise is my favorite of the entire series.

uPen posted:

Post captain has a ship full of bees, it can't be bad.

This is a fair point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Aubrey trying to press his debt collectors was also really funny.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lockback posted:

Aubrey trying to press his debt collectors was also really funny.

Oh he didn't just try

also, dog-watches

basically post captain is the best book in the series

edit: though now that I'm into HMS Suprise, when the Surprise shows up it's almost like Captain America busting onto the scene.

If I were writing O'Brian parody I would name the ship the Marie Sue

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 13, 2018

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The only thing wrong with post-captain is how shockingly long it is. It goes on forever and feels like 2 different books, probably because O'Brien didn't want to release a book that was mostly Jane Austen with a bear suit.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm nearly done with Post Captain, and it was nice to see some of my suspicions from Master and Commander confirmed. The Jane Austen-ish drawing room drama isn't much to my taste but thankfully only a few chapters are reserved for it and the rest is very good.

Just wait and it will turn into some of your favorite parts. Aubrey/Maturin is still ultimately a comedy of manners. Hell, it taught me to actually enjoy Jane Austen.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well I took a break from the series for a few months.

I've read a bit of science fiction in the mean time, but have found myself giving up on just as many books as I've finished reading. I think I've come to the point where if I'm not feeling the writing, I will toss a book without remorse, whereas in the past I would push through no matter what.

I ordered Nutmeg from the library and it should get in today.

What I'm saying is I feel guilty about leaving Stephen and Jack shipwrecked on the island and feel like I need to go back for my "friends" :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Posted on this page above that I too encountered tedium at the end of Thirteen Gun, but I kept going until it got interesting again.

Just finished Yellow Admiral, and the last two are very likely to be done in a fortnight, putting me around four months for the series. I probably remember more of the earlier books because I've read them more than once; I know I restarted at least once, but also that I started in the middle during a later attempt.

I'll have to think about a reread, but maybe at a different pace, two or three a year, but I don't know if I can keep focus like that.

This thing with the digitalis in Yellow Admiral. The ship's doctor provides a broken story about the patient dosing himself. Did the doctor actually do it out of spite against the old hard-nose?