Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fart City posted:

They’re right though.Garden State fuckin sucks. You think you might disagree with that, but how smart were you in 2004?

Yeah, I remember seeing it with my girlfriend and the only saving grace was, once it ended, we both said, "Well that loving sucked."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Haven’t listened to the episode yet, but I’ve always been in the gently caress Garden State camp. I’ve never hated someone quite as much as I hated Natalie Portman’s lovely character in that movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I would buy a ticket to Funny Funeral

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think I watched Garden State once, but I slept through most of it.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I would buy a ticket to Funny Funeral

:yeah:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I watched Garden State and cannot tell you one single thing about it other then Zach Braff wore an ugly shirt at one point.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I did like that Frou Frou song, though.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

enigmahfc posted:

I watched Garden State and cannot tell you one single thing about it other then Zach Braff wore an ugly shirt at one point.

Natalie Portman listened to a Zach Braff song in a waiting room, and then they danced on some farm equipment in the rain. I think it took place in New Jersey, but I may be wrong.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

They wore trash bags at some point, too.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Why are you guys reminding me of this? gently caress, it was like I had buried it and now I am forced to relive it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Garden State is fun to dunk on because it’s exactly the type of dopey saccharine poo poo you’d expect from a 20 something

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

enigmahfc posted:

Why are you guys reminding me of this? gently caress, it was like I had buried it and now I am forced to relive it.

Blame the guys (or even Outer Space), not us. They were the ones who picked a Zach Braff movie.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was in my teens and I wanting intellectual growth after a childhood of watching "garbage" so yeah I liked Garden State when I saw it. I mean, it came to me at a time when I wanted "DEEP" media, so

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Garden State is perfectly fine, but when it came out a lot of people were insufferable about it. And it's cute that Zach Braff thought that Shins song would change anyone's life. If the song had been "King of Carrot Flowers" then I could see it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This episode is an instant classic. Holy poo poo.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Andrew seems to have revealed February's patreon episode on Twitter Man of Steel

Never saw it or remember much about it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Billy Gnosis posted:

Andrew seems to have revealed February's patreon episode on Twitter Man of Steel

They also announced it at the end of the latest episode.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

thrawn527 posted:

They wore trash bags at some point, too.

Never seen it. Was Portman a free spirit that managed to penetrate Braff's cynical and/or lovelorn shell?

precision posted:

Garden State is perfectly fine, but when it came out a lot of people were insufferable about it. And it's cute that Zach Braff thought that Shins song would change anyone's life.

One of my favorite threads from 2004/2005, "Add Inappropriate Soundtracks to Movies", dropped Linkin Park's "Crawling" in its place. It was delightful.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Billy Gnosis posted:

Ugh.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I love this new Patreon tier !

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Billy Gnosis posted:

I thought it was mostly well directed and acted but also near impossible for me to enjoy actually watching the film since the last chunk of it was just an unbearable & painful chaos of noise and moving images when experienced in theaters. I wanted to like it but it was just a huge migraine.
I can't imagine listing it as a truly bad movie unless you have some silly vested interests in the preexisting "canon" & but it def wasn't a fun or enjoyable experience for me either

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

I'm really interested to see what the boys have to say about it, it sounds like their opinions have soured on it since its release. I think the first twenty minutes on Krypton are genuinely alright. Snyder does big CGI spectacle, and that's all that segment is, so it works without coming off as compromised and cartoony. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie is a real mess. Amy Adams could be entirely excised from the movie, but part of that is because she has an embarrassingly bad script. The editing takes a nosedive in the last 45 minutes too. I noticed certain establishing shots were completely missing, and that's even before the horribly disorienting final fight.

Michael Shannon is hilariously evil, though, and I dig that.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 31, 2018

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Just watch the trailer. It's got feels the movie never lived up to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Never seen it. Was Portman a free spirit that managed to penetrate Braff's cynical and/or lovelorn shell?

I know the term Manic Pixie Dream Girl first came about when describing Kirsten Dunst in Elizabethtown, but I think Natalie Portman is patient zero for the term before the term actually came about.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It's my personal headcanon that Michael Caine loves TMNT and probably has the best taste in those films and cartoons

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I've never wanted a WHM movie creation to be real quite as much as "The Iron Butt"

Eric Szyszka in "Too Close to Dracula" is a close second

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Low Desert Punk posted:

I've never wanted a WHM movie creation to be real quite as much as "The Iron Butt"

Eric Szyszka in "Too Close to Dracula" is a close second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyvHqYu_KXI

I knew I had heard Iron Butt before.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I just realized I was mixing up Man of Steel and Superman Returns. Better choice?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The Man of Steel episode is going to be worth it for the letters in the February mail bag alone.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The most evil Luthor

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I know the term Manic Pixie Dream Girl first came about when describing Kirsten Dunst in Elizabethtown, but I think Natalie Portman is patient zero for the term before the term actually came about.

Annie Hall predates Garden State by a few years.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Billy Gnosis posted:

I just realized I was mixing up Man of Steel and Superman Returns. Better choice?

Superman Returns is the better film. Recent troubles aside, Spacey makes a good Lex Luthor. Kate Bosworth is a terrible Lois Lane though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Billy Gnosis posted:

It's ok, I keep doing the same thing. Both movies are so forgettable imo.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

My god, this month's mailbag....

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

precision posted:

Annie Hall predates Garden State by a few years.

Oh, right, I always forget about that movie, because I always think of the term in modern cinema context. But yeah, Annie Hall is definitely an earlier example of the same thing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I watched Grumpy Old Men within the past decade, it doesn’t hold up that well I don’t think. Thought it was funny as poo poo when I was young though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Super late but the way and timing Eric jumped on that “he gets chased by demons into a liquor store” cements him as some sort of comedic genius

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kinda late but the way Stephen decided that when in Texas he wanted to eat pizza that is barely above reduced price cafeteria lunch pizza cements him as some sort of fat boy genius

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Invalid Validation posted:

I watched Grumpy Old Men within the past decade, it doesn’t hold up that well I don’t think. Thought it was funny as poo poo when I was young though.

I remember watching it with my Dad as a kid and it being the first movie he and I ever actually enjoyed together. I'm definitely never revisiting that one because i don't want to be disappointed.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Calaveron posted:

Super late but the way and timing Eric jumped on that “he gets chased by demons into a liquor store” cements him as some sort of comedic genius

Yeah I think that’s one of Eric’s best lines ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Wonder if there is a chance we will get another emergency episode in march like we have for the last two years, because I just noticed that Ready Player One is coming out that month.