Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's not very good. mostly snippets of string parts from a couple dozen pieces and no backing arrangements or anything

I never use the cds I just want more dumb neoclassical lines to shred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just learn e harmonic minor, congrats you are a neoclassical shredder.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Vargatron posted:

Just learn e harmonic minor, congrats you are a neoclassical shredder.

Still needs flowing long hair and fans to blow it around, leather pants (bonus for them being tourniquet tight), frilly shirt, guitar with monkey grip and/or scalloped frets, six billion Marshall half stacks, and of course the fury.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Well I have Yngwie’s modern day physique soooo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

sludge means you're from new orleans and you do heroin

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I’m having a 90s flashback when every hotshot who could sweep the frets had their own album and/or instructional vhs tape. What was that play-like-the-stars line called? It had an ice cream cone as a logo. Christ, there were a bazillion of ‘em. Michael Angelo’s was the best — it was practically a comedy album.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
My brother subscribed to Guitar For The Practicing Musician because it was so rad -- each issue included 4 guitar transcriptions to cool songs (this was way before the internet). Yngwie's Rising Force had just come out and one of the songs was in an issue. My brother really wanted to learn it and when he showed me the page I started cracking up because it looked like someone had shaken an ant nest onto a musical sheet. 64th notes everywhere. Welp, that's my story!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

tbh my ultimate music goal is to bring back the REH aesthetic

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I have no idea what to classify this album as (technical thrash metal with sludge influence?), but I've been digging it as a late addition to my best-of 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9sSq1q84Q0

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

symbolic posted:

I have no idea what to classify this album as (technical thrash metal with sludge influence?), but I've been digging it as a late addition to my best-of 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9sSq1q84Q0

Surely you'd be talking about punk before tech trash? It's quite punky.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A human heart posted:

Surely you'd be talking about punk before tech trash? It's quite punky.

I was getting some crossover thrash vibes from it too. The subject matter is pretty tech thrash-y though. ymmv :shrug:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

sludge means you're from new orleans and you do heroin

You say this like it's a bad thing

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

One New Year’s Eve I was stumbling around in a foggy New Orleans hung over and drinking vodka and pepto when out of the fog comes stumbling one of the members of Soilent Green. We shot the poo poo for a while and he said he just got out of jail.

That’s my sludge story

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that's extremely on-brand

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Snowy posted:

One New Year’s Eve I was stumbling around in a foggy New Orleans hung over and drinking vodka and pepto when out of the fog comes stumbling one of the members of Soilent Green. We shot the poo poo for a while and he said he just got out of jail.

That’s my sludge story

If this happened since hurricane Katrina, it may have very well been the ghost of Glenn Rambo.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The story of what Mike IX went through during Katrina is hosed up and crazy. Basically the definition of sludge. It's on wikipedia iirc if you wanna read it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fenrir posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing

it's not i'm just being super prescriptive

if you're not from a) new orleans and b) on or recently kicked heroin or c) harvey milk you're not certified sludge

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I'm weird and usually burn an actual CD about once every month or so to just play in my car when I'm too lazy to mess around with my phone. I've had the new Immolation album in there for a couple of months. Great album FYI.

Decided it was time to change it up and burned "Those once Loyal" the other day, after asking here what Bolt Thrower album was the best. That one seemed to get mentioned the most.

So I am now here to report that Bolt Thrower rules and that album is awesome.

Thanks, metal thread.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Hells Headbangers just reissued this album on vinyl and it rules a bunch, thanks.
https://black-death.bandcamp.com/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lid posted:

Kylesa will always be the band with the best opening track on every album, they follow a formula but its a loving great formula. Scapegoat and Tired Climb and Exhale :discourse:

Edit: and just found out they broke up in 2016 after Exhausting Fire, for fucks sake

Seeing them live and hearing them open up with Scapegoat, with two drummers... one of my favorite live show moments.

Speaking of addicts, I wonder if Blake Judd is still alive.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Apparently so. He's supposedly clean and has moved to California. Nachtmystium are doing a few shows with a new lineup and there's word of new material in the future.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
nachtmystium's facebook is still full of people saying they haven't got merch they recently ordered

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
if you order nachtmystium merch w/in the last 2-3 years you deserve it imo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Apparently so. He's supposedly clean and has moved to California. Nachtmystium are doing a few shows with a new lineup and there's word of new material in the future.

Hmm. Just looked at Blake's Facebook and he posted this a week ago in regards to live shows:

quote:

Nope. Nor will there be a single Nachtmystium show. There will be albums, and thats it. gently caress playing live...I hate having to deal with 3-4 other people as much as it requires to play in a band that sounds good. If I could do it myself or Inquisition-style with just me and a drummer, I'd do it...but thats not the case here unfortunately. Maybe if I could hand-pick guys from previous line ups during the times which I felt we got along best...like THAT version of them, mixed with the same versions of other members...the time I recall liking each of them best...and could have that be my band today, i'd be all over it...but thats not gonna happen. So - no. gently caress shows.

Haha, what a turd. I ordered merch from him twice, once before it became a shitshow, and then a year later when he "got clean" and wanted to make things right with everybody. I never got anything either time, but at least PayPal refunded me, and Century Media sent me a copy of the new album out of the blue as a mea culpa.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
blake judd and bobby liebling should start a scared straight program

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Some sad news from Germany. I guess she'll try and get to that 100th release and then shutter the label.

Really sucks, he was a good dude.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

When Mortician plays live do they use a live drummer or a drum machine?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Kvlt! posted:

When Mortician plays live do they use a live drummer or a drum machine?

AFAIK they've been using Sam Inzerra (Morpheus Descends, ex-Incantation) as their live drummer and he's a drat fine musician.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Started testing out Amazon Music Unlimited. It does seem to have some metal stuff that Spotify doesn't, but I need to spend some time at the weekend doing more digging in to the library.

What I did notice though, is it seems to include rips of bootlegs that Amazon sells (or well, third parties sell via Amazon I guess). Actual full on bootlegs. Had a check of Rush, Dream Theater and Metallica as examples and they all had a fair few.

Not something I expected to see. So slightly interesting if you're a super fan of heavily bootlegged bands.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 1, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

DroneRiff posted:

What I did notice though, is it seems to include rips of bootlegs that Amazon sells (or well, third parties sell via Amazon I guess). Actual full on bootlegs. Had a check of Rush, Dream Theater and Metallica as examples and they all had a fair few.

That's a pretty cool discovery. I would have thought the labels would shut that stuff down, but maybe Amazon is too big to do anything about.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MrBling posted:

Some sad news from Germany. I guess she'll try and get to that 100th release and then shutter the label.

Really sucks, he was a good dude.

It's a drat shame, cool label.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't some of the folks from Kylesa start a new group? What's it called and is it good?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Hey have you all been wondering what Jonathan Davis has been up to lately?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSABKRTtJM8

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Detective Thompson posted:

Hey have you all been wondering what Jonathan Davis has been up to lately?!

no

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't some of the folks from Kylesa start a new group? What's it called and is it good?

Yes. Laura Pleasants has. It's called, The Discussion. They recently toured Europe. It's kind of a darker early ear Pink Floyd-ish sound.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Did Iron Monkey reform? Just saw that they were playing in my city and wasn't expecting to see them.

Also the gig lineup in Nottingham is bonkers this year:

Paradise Lost
Obituary
Cannibal Corpse
Epica
Iron Monkey
Conan

Plus Ne Obliviscaris and Omnium Gatherum which I probably won't see. Makes up for the past couple of sparse years I guess.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don’t see how. Their best aspect was their vocalist and he loving died.

But if they got someone comparable, then :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They put out a reunion album last year and it was pretty solid. A bit crustier than the first two. I think the guitarist took over vocals.