Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

Reading about tunes makes me want to throw a jb1 on my car. But then there's the creeping terror that something will go wrong and VW will void my warranty :oh dear:

Also the seat makes my right leg tingle. Awesome. Guess I'll get a cushion for my old rear end.

Are you me? I get a tingle in my right leg sometimes. I can’t feel anything in my thigh for a bit.

But I went JB1 and it owns. Just follow the steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Numb leg bros :respek:

Luckily (or not) I'm an orthopedic nurse so I'm pretty confident it's just a little sciatic nerve compression. Unfortunately, it's literally only in the GTI. I'll fold up a thick towel to sit on and see if that helps.

Definitely tempted by the jb1. Install looks pretty straightforward, but I've just got that new-car-fear, I guess.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Are you me? I get a tingle in my right leg sometimes. I can’t feel anything in my thigh for a bit.

But I went JB1 and it owns. Just follow the steps.

I have my JB4 unit sitting at FedEx waiting to be picked up tomorrow. Where did you end up stashing your unit?

a mysterious cloak posted:

Numb leg bros :respek:

Luckily (or not) I'm an orthopedic nurse so I'm pretty confident it's just a little sciatic nerve compression. Unfortunately, it's literally only in the GTI. I'll fold up a thick towel to sit on and see if that helps.

Definitely tempted by the jb1. Install looks pretty straightforward, but I've just got that new-car-fear, I guess.

After some research apparently the JB4 unit that isn't much more than JB1 has a better/smoother delivery.

edit: Also what's up goon nursin buddy :respek:

Etrips fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 31, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My JB1 sits on top of the battery with some 3m wide double sided tape. It doesn’t move and you can mostly put the battery flap over top of it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was going to JB1 mine but since I'm not buying out the lease I'm not gonna take any chances :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
your new gti needs better tires more than it needs more hp

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dogbone plate makes a huge difference on the GTI also

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

your new gti needs better tires more than it needs more hp

Also this but with new wheels since the Austin’s are hideous. Unless you got the Sport, which has acceptable wheels.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Nah, i've got the Austins. However, at the rate at which I'm curbing the rear ones, I should have them curbed into a paste within a few months and can replace them.

I'll probably wind up doing... nothing. Until I need tires, and then I'll get some good ones.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

E46 interior is nicer than FiST interior

This is true for virtually every car pre being introduced ~2015. The Mk7 interior is the only thing that made me jump, the Focus/Escape interior makes me want to die and I've spent extended time in them. (Not saying Android Auto is perfect but gently caress you Sync!)

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 1, 2018

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
First auto x in 6-7 years today. Finished 2nd in class about a second and half behind first place in class. Still on stock tires, on a different surface than what I am used to running. Course was fast, unlike barely hitting the top of 2nd, this one encouraged getting into 3rd as soon as possible.

Coming from a 08 WRX, holy crap does the FoST love to be driven. In the roo, if I pushed it the car would be understeer city. The focus says "hey, let's get loose", and man is it fun, and never once did I feel like I wasn't in control, and I think if I had one or two more runs I might have come close to or won the class.

Good poo poo.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone seen a dsg gti or golf 1.8t deal? Bil might start working and getting him through his license now. Debating just buying one so i dont deal with an older car. He's 27 so not as worried about it being a little sporty. A 1.8t golf at like $16-17k would be perfect.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone seen a dsg gti or golf 1.8t deal? Bil might start working and getting him through his license now. Debating just buying one so i dont deal with an older car. He's 27 so not as worried about it being a little sporty. A 1.8t golf at like $16-17k would be perfect.

Pretty sure you can pick up a new 2017 GTI S DSG for around 17-19k now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I seriously doubt that, especially after TTL.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah, lowest I found earlier last year was still in the low 20’s, even for 2016 models.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Got my '16 S with under 20k for less than 17. Reflex silver, 6 speed, 2 door. Fake edit: on December 23rd. At this rate, I'd wait for 18's and the better warranty.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crunchy Black posted:

Got my '16 S with under 20k for less than 17. Reflex silver, 6 speed, 2 door. Fake edit: on December 23rd. At this rate, I'd wait for 18's and the better warranty.

I sold one with more miles on it for more than you paid :v:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

I sold one with more miles on it for more than you paid :v:

PP or trade in cause....drat. ATL is a bad hot hatch market though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
PP, 19k, 24k mi, white, 6spd, sedan

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
So a few pages back, remember lamenting losing the FiST but getting an Edge ST and we went off taking about how great a Ranger ST would be instead? Which one of you works for Ford, because they're definitely doing a Ranger Raptor.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-ford-raptor-ranger-is-your-diesel-off-road-per-1822794130

And there's no official plans to bring it to America :negative:
Though they appear to be hinting at a future "stay tuned" announcement.

PabloBOOM fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 7, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PabloBOOM posted:

So a few pages back, remember lamenting losing the FiST but getting an Edge ST and we went off taking about how great a Ranger ST would be instead? Which one of you works for Ford, because they're definitely doing a Ranger Raptor.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-ford-raptor-ranger-is-your-diesel-off-road-per-1822794130

And there's no official plans to bring it to America :negative:
Though they appear to be hinting at a future "stay tuned" announcement.

I'd bet pretty much anything that we get the Ranger Raptor as far as the suspension and body package since it's presumably basically bolt-on to the regular truck (also I'm pretty sure Ford USA has promoted the teaser videos for it too), the only thing that's questionable IMO is whether we get the diesel or if it magically becomes gas powered when it makes its way over here. I'd figure the sales of diesel Colorados will have a strong impact on that question.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welp got my euro headlights in, tested em and working. just setting up a relay circuit so i can use em as intended with LED DRLs and low level night LEDs if any are interested i'll do a write up.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I remember getting hyped for the pipe dream of a FiST RS definitely not (but....maybe!) happening

Then I was intrigued by the redesigned 3-cylinder ST

Then they killed the whole thing in the US. Don’t get your hopes up is what I’m saying

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dr.Caligari posted:

I remember getting hyped for the pipe dream of a FiST RS definitely not (but....maybe!) happening

Then they killed the whole thing in the US. Don’t get your hopes up is what I’m saying

:colbert: If they dont make it i will build it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr.Caligari posted:

They killed the entire Fiesta platform in the US though, and that's really what it comes down to. If they had given us the new Fiesta but dropped the ST you'd have a fair comparison, but here we are 100% definitely getting the Ranger and its primary competition has a light off-road package (ZR2). The engine is a lot more questionable because it'd be unique in the market and our government still refuses to accept worldwide standards.

Since the US market Ranger runs the 2.3 Ecoboost as standard, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the normal truck gets it in 280HP trim like an Explorer while the US market Raptor gets something tuned more like a Focus RS in the mid 300s rather than the diesel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone with a mk7 put a clubsport s muffler on their car? i'm considering picking one up and i'm not sure if i should have it welded on (cause i have no intention of removing it) or use one of the OEM clamp style fittings to install it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just use the OEM clamp, it makes life so easy

Other option is to just do a catted downpipe and you'll make more power and pretty much sound the same as that video

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah no downpipe or ecu reflashes until i hit higher miles.

clamp it is!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

nah no downpipe or ecu reflashes until i hit higher miles.

clamp it is!

Did you get one of those mufflers? How much do they run? I might be down to grab something like that for mine and then pull it off and sell it when I turn the car in.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
there are no us vendors that sell them but it's about 400-425 shipped from this website:

https://cars245.com/en/item/audi-volkswagen-5G6253609DD-rear-silencer/

plus 23 bucks for the clamp

https://cars245.com/en/item/audi-volkswagen-1K0253141AA-clip/

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Out of curiosity, DSG GTI MK7 + tune = ok, manual MK7 + tune = clutch gone, right? Does that also apply to the MK7 R? Is there a way to avoid this?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Insert broken record of my posts in this thread about that issue, and yes, it applies to the R also

Remove fluid restrictor in clutch slave cylinder
Remove spring on clutch pedal
Don't launch the car, it's pointless, you're going to blow the tires off
Don't hammer the car in first, it does nothing, just short shift it
Give the clutch time to fully engage on the 1-2 shift before getting back in it

My car survived 24k miles like this just fine, including towing of a trailer with two motorcycles for 5k of that mileage. Then again, my S2000 has 170k on the stock clutch (notoriously weak stock clutch). I'm really careful with the things because replacing them sucks.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 8, 2018

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Oh. I didn’t realize they killed the whole fiesta line. I’m surprised.

I assume they are banking on Fiesta shoppers stepping up to a Focus since they aren’t that much different in size or price

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Ford’s new CEO/Wall Street has dictated that CUV/SUV/Trucks are the only way to be profitable. Also hybrid tech since apparently Ford is lacking there as well. So yeah pretty much all of the cool poo poo Ford Performance was getting to do is going to be pushed aside for Another Dumb CUV. The Fiesta was killed to make room for the EcoSport, a CUV based on the new Fiesta platform. The RS is done after 2018, but at least they still have the Mustang and Edge ST? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I still want a GT350, but not 60k want. I hope they end up dirt cheap in ~5 years.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dr.Caligari posted:

Oh. I didn’t realize they killed the whole fiesta line. I’m surprised.

I assume they are banking on Fiesta shoppers stepping up to a Focus since they aren’t that much different in size or price

I test drove both and the RS and honestly preferred the rocket go cart tiny one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sneakyfrog posted:

:colbert: If they dont make it i will build it.

Make a build thread, I will read every word.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I still want a GT350, but not 60k want. I hope they end up dirt cheap in ~5 years.

search your heart on this

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
we both know i cant keep a car longer than a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rhyno posted:

Make a build thread, I will read every word.

sweet. ive been eyeballin that x47 turbo from pumaspeed

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-X-47R-Fiesta-ST-EcoBoost-Turbocharger_17435.jsp