Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
For those who aren't in the Discord (join the Discord), here's the link to the Gong Show Schedule!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O3fbAGIJwvbp9I6SnJ2Qcbrm8Spx8p_s-gjX-xFToGU/edit?usp=drivesdk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ALFbrot posted:

For those who aren't in the Discord (join the Discord), here's the link to the Gong Show Schedule!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O3fbAGIJwvbp9I6SnJ2Qcbrm8Spx8p_s-gjX-xFToGU/edit?usp=drivesdk

I look forward to viewing the Gong Show from my perch upon the Wall. Always a good time to be had.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, here are my thank yous to the people who have played. (Let me know if I missed someone!)

Myron posted:

Y2Kthulu
This would really benefit from being a little longer, obviously. There's the groundwork for a decent JRPG-style battle system, but the game ends just when you start having to get a little tactical. There are more special attacks than total encounters, I think. I did only play through once and immediately chose the "right" path (if that's how the endgame actually works), so I probably haven't seen everything. The special attacks are interesting in theory, though there's little reason to not choose high damage spells most of the time. Naturally, this is your typical jam-game criticism, and the battle system would improve a lot in a more fleshed out game with more diverse enemies.
I really learned this Jam that I'm really slow at writing, and really great at making typos. I left the battle system in a broken state up until almost the very end. I was trying to balance making the game fast w/ battles so it ended up being less tactical than I wanted. JRPGs are not something I'll likely repeat for a jam. (Unless I break out RPG Maker again.)

I wanted the writing to be fun and light. It's not a serious story, it's a computer janitor rolling with the punches and just dealing with a problem. Like any other day.

Fun fact, there was Paper Mario timed hits planned that would boost your special faster! (This was cut in the final).

whatPanache posted:

Y2Kthulu

So polished both in presentation and game feel, really nice job. Sweet voice acting. I liked the battle system, but I think it could have done with a touch more depth. Most of the fights it felt like you didn't have to plan super hard, and I never died (I think). I was also disappointed by the last boss. I was gearing up for an epic final battle where I would have to use all the items, but then you just win in one hit with the special item you get and it's suddenly over. I'm guessing this may have been a time constraint? In a sense it felt just like a JRPG in that the team ran out of time at the end.
I'll have more later probably.

So, Cthuluhu's book ended up being in the game, because a friend got to the last boss without BLOCK WALL or PIZZA. He really does say use it if you get stuck.

A lot of the specials were not quite balanced, and the path you follow can easily allow you to miss key items that really are needed since you don't level up.

The fights are really only the start of a JRPG, you know light simple enemies to get your feet wet. They really never got much detail other than cool effects.

Doom Goon posted:

Y2Kthulu
A short, strange RPG about Y2K made in Love! It's very simple, but pretty neat. And weirdly cozy! A lot of the graphics look oddly appealing and I kind of dig the weird cyberspace thing going on. There's a ton of attacks you can find and the occassional joke object to click on. It's not Persona level but it kind of seems like it maybe was going to go in that direction? I really want to read a postmortem about this one because I think I missed a lot! Oh, there's also an Easter egg involving Xibanya, and I totally didn't find it by looking through the nicely written source code, nope!

:allears: I'm glad you found it cozy. The mother/earthbound series is partly where my heart lives and what my writing shows. I like writing happy stories. I wanted the attacks to feel fun, and I wanted to have some laughs at the weird world. Sort of cosmic humor instead of horror.

It was also an excuse to play with shaders and timing.

Also, my code, nicely written? Uh. Well, some of it, I guess?

I really do need to write a full postmortem, I feel like I learned a lot.

Thank you all so much for playing and writing about my game. Thank you for your thoughts, they mean a lot.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
More feedback feedback!

Giggs posted:

Try Something New
I know you’re already aware of the issue I’m about to raise, but I’m one of those people that instinctively hits escape constantly, so I kept jumping out of the buy screen to the main menu over and over again. I should have learned by the fifth or sixth time, but I didn’t. Ah well. I waited to write this until you posted your post-mortem, it was a good read.

The music is really nice. It feels appropriate and fits well, including the 99 Balloons cover. It’s ludicrous to me that anyone would not be so depressed by having to change the game you’re making for the jam halfway through as to just give up entirely. It’s really cool that you managed to put something together and that it doesn’t feel really shallow. I wasn’t aware of Lemonade Stand until relatively recently when Giant Bomb did their video about educational games. This is a really nice, simple homage with a neat twist to nicely conform to the theme.

The Apple II look is really nice. My keyboard sounds old so I was kinda thrilled to have the opportunity to emulate the Apple II experience in that way. It’s satisfying what with click clacking. I understand the lack of an ending both in terms of theme and also because I refuse to believe you’d have enough time on top of making a new game from scratch effectively, but a definite end goal I think gives a much better sense of drive or determination to reach it. The game I played today was by far my worst attempt where I was nearly bankrupt after 8 days because of my poor choices, but sometimes you get on a roll and it doesn’t feel like there’s too much to keep you going. It’s a minor complaint.

The biggest problem with this game is that I used up my only good joke name for a store while playtesting before submission. It was “NOT POTATO BUT STILL OK”. It wasn’t even that good. Picture is my second best effort, unfortunately. Seriously, if I were in your position I probably would have given up because I’m a baby. Nicely done, Hippo!

It's nice to know that I can at least change course if needed, but the amount of effort that was needed for completely starting over is dissauading me from trying that again. I'll probably just eat the wall next time. Also thanks a hella lot for helping to test out my game shortly before the deadline! I agree that there should be some goal to work to, but other than a static amount I couldn't get much in unless I got in events. That's planned for post-jam work now!

RIP "NOT POTATO BUT STILL OK".

whatPanache posted:

Try Something New

I loved the aesthetic (retro!) and navigation (dungeon crawl or dwarf fortress style!) and concept (I love selling poo poo!) and music (that sales theme is on point. sounds like an old rock song but I can't put my finger on it), but skimming the thread I think I have the same main complaint as other people mentioned. I was pressing Esc to get back to the store menu and exiting the game over and over. I did this like three times before I was sad about my lost progress and quit. Too many years of Dwarf Fortress, I think.

Thanks for the style/music compliments! I feel a lot of people's pains about pressing escape and have done that too many times to myself while testing it. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that other people would too. :v:

Good thing I finished working on Try Something New v1.1, removing that nasty crash I couldn't fix in time for the jam and escape guards so pressing escape will need a prompt. Tooling on a post-jam game is nice, I can do things I wanted at my own leisure and get in feedback. I can't use it as my main submission, but it's still useful for learning things from until the next jam.

Try Something New v1.1

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 27, 2018

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Wow, thanks for writeup! :)

I don't know if you played the "final" version or not which I guess I put out on Thursday, but in that version the "long jump" is a lot easier to do since you just have to cancel dash with a jump. The game is tweaked a bit since submission and you'd probably be a lot more frustrated with the original version, though the core gameplay is pretty much the same.

The end boss might be a bit too hard, I agree. In the submitted version its pattern was essentially random but then I changed it to a set pattern and added some more to it and I might have gone a bit overboard. So it was actually easier in the earlier versions. But it might just be about tweaking its health or damage output, maybe the easy mode version is where the sweet spot's at (then it takes 10 less hits and the player takes a couple more).

I agree with the bounding box issues, but I was stupid and made the collision box same as the hurt/hit box.

Also, I personally really don't like the keyboard controls and think it controls a lot better with a gamepad, especially doing the slide/jumps with a keyboard is painful, though it's not really required anymore except at the end of the 3rd stage.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Thanks for playing. I agree with everything you mentioned that's missing, especially the music. Of course wanted to include all that stuff, but you know how it is. Same with Mario's movements. I didn't want to recreate them perfectly anyway, but then I thought I should at least give him triangle jumps. Then I spent too much time trying to get the controls and other details reasonably close to the original, but they should still work with the other games. I eventually stopped at a point where I thought this will do, but I'm not entirely happy with it. I wasted too much time on Mario in general, only to spend less time on the Mario with Mario levels than on anything else. I also found a bunch of bugs towards the end. I made jumping on enemies very forgiving, but it's still buggy sometimes. No idea why, it's such a simple thing. I also made a fully functioning koopa and kickable shells only too leave them out because of bugs found a the last minute (they're in the spaceship stages, because they die in one hit there).
I'm glad you liked the Gravitar parts. It's far less well known than the other games and I wanted to include a Defender-clone as well, but I had to decide between the two, and thought the Gravitar-controls would mash better with the other games.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Good thing I finished working on Try Something New v1.1, removing that nasty crash I couldn't fix in time for the jam and escape guards so pressing escape will need a prompt.

Oh right, I forgot to get back to you on that, but I didn't remember when exactly the game crashed anyway.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Thanks for this! I don't know how much I can catch (not the beginning?) but hopefully I won't have to just download the whole thing again like last time! I'll have to ignore the games I haven't got to yet though.

SystemLogoff posted:

:allears: I'm glad you found it cozy. The mother/earthbound series is partly where my heart lives and what my writing shows. I like writing happy stories. I wanted the attacks to feel fun, and I wanted to have some laughs at the weird world. Sort of cosmic humor instead of horror.
🎵Life is but a moment, a single grain of sand...🎵

netcat posted:

"final" version
Just a note that I haven't forgotten about this myself, but it will probably have to wait a little!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Giggs posted:

Kudos and good job Jo. Also kudos to the artist who posted in the thread earlier but I can’t remember who it was, you did a really nice job on the portraits. Scut! It was Scut. Nice. Very stylish.

Thanks for reviewing the game and I'm glad you liked the art!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I was hoping to give feedback to all the games before the Gong Show starts tonight. Don't know that that's very likely any more but I'm pretty close.

Night of the Surfing Dead
The art is very clean and consistent and bright and fun. I’m not a huge fan of how the seagulls look, though when they’re dead they’re all like “Ohh nooo” which is a funny little thought I had… to me.

I really like the style, the butt-bumping devils, the floppy skeleton skeleton, and the music. The UI is also really well done, it’s clear and clean. I wasn’t understanding the Masks when I started playing and was unsure why there would be a counter, but later on when they were more common (and necessary) I understood it. The zaps are a little hard to follow when you’re in the middle of it, there’s so much moving around on screen and it kinda blends into the background. I very much appreciate that the zaps and poops don’t take your lives away, and that there’s usually only just enough time to get to the ball before it runs out on you. They do both seem to stun for the same amount of time. I’m not certain if it would be better if the poops caused shorter stuns. Maybe?

The only thing I’m not a fan of is that when you fire the ball it doesn’t go where I expect it to. In the ReadMe it says “holding up and left will fire the ball almost straight up” and my first thought is, why doesn’t it go up and left? I feel that because of the density of enemies and the fact that the butt-bumpers are on the sides, the ball should always be favouring a horizontal launch. Most of the time when I launched the ball it just hit something and fell down into the water.

I feel like [the boss] is a reference to something but I can’t remember what, if it is. It was a little underwhelming when [it] came out and then nearly instantaneously died. It was funny, for sure, but also seemed like it had more potential? I’ve yet to pass 5:30 by any significant margin, so I haven’t seen anything if anything is past that point.

This game is one that’s easy to grasp, difficult to excel at, and has style for days. Very nice, Tom & Larissa.

Harry Houdini and the Mummified Meanies
There’s something about the rendering of the bricks and stone that is particularly appealing. Very very good bricks and stone. NEXT GAME!

The gravity seems harsh, as in it’s a little too fast. You fall so quickly that sometimes, in certain situations where I felt I should be able to land on an upcoming platform parallel with the wall I was against, but instead I slipped right past it. The audio mix could be improved. Everything seemed to be a little too loud? The music probably should have been quieter than the effects in general, and though the feeling of ragtime fits the game to some extent, a normal piano rendition feels a little out of place. Something like this may have been more appropriate.. It’s simply my opinion but if you’re doing most of something in a particular style, you should go whole hog into it. Do it up.

The jump not being dynamic feels strange. This game is a platformer, and furthermore it’s of the variety where the only thing you do in the game is platform. Control then feels like it should be the most important aspect of the game and without dynamic jump heights it feels like some of that control is taken away. On the other hand, it’s a static, set mechanic, so it’s predictable in itself so maybe it’s better there’s no dynamic jump.

I still played through it 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or …. times. The fact that it’s a linear system with static, (mostly) predictable levels helps motivate the speed-running … angst? The hitbox of the player seems a little wonky, where passing by an enemy at speed sometimes gets you deaded when it doesn’t seem there’s a collision there. On that note, I think this game has the old “character is still on the edge of the platform while running though for whatever reason hitting jump at this point does not trigger a jump” that I’ve seen many times (including in my own games). I died on a couple levels several times over because my Omega-Gaming-Brain was certain that I was hitting jump while approaching the edge of the platform but I would just fall off the edge into some spikes or a ghost or adorable mummy.

I’d also like to say that as someone who has spent quite some time on past games drawing images as levels I appreciate the levels such as “the Skull” or “the Ghost” very much.

I just noticed the pause sound. Nice.

It’s very addictive, trying to better your time in this game. I’m actually not sure if the jump isn’t dynamic. It feels like there’s two heights, one where it’s like ⅓ of the full height from tapping the button for like, a frame, and then the full height jump for any press longer than a frame.

Very good. Also, why do some levels have two doors? They seem to lead to the same place. Right?

UFO Cattle Battle
I like the concept, but the execution is a little slim. The UFO flies around like a very slippery little piggy, rotating like crazy. I like that, to some extent, though regaining control is a little too far on the difficult side, and so it took me a while before I started feeling confident in my abilities to maintain order in this crazy crazy world. I don’t think there should be a separate brake button, S or back or whatever should just stop the UFO. Strafing affects your momentum so much less than moving forward, so it’s basically the only effective way to maneuver, so moving backwards is never really necessary?

The powerups were cool, though the plow doesn’t seem to kill cows ever, which is a shame. The game is a struggle to destroy cows, and when you’re using the plow to hit rocket-cows that have managed to break past the lines, you don’t want them to just have a few seconds of disorientation and then return. You want ‘em downed. Fer good! I also feel like the rockets shouldn’t have a limited range, and should have a larger area of effect. The game is very difficult e: The game requires some time to get used to, so powerups are a perfect avenue to make the player feel empowered. I did appreciate that the powerups were timed and not otherwise consumable.

The single music track is just too short, and it gets tiring very quickly. The models all look good, I took the time to hit some pedestrians after my first couple attempts.

Cows should never get shields either, I’m staunchly opposed to both 1) Upgraded cows and 2) Not feeling like I’m running shop over these goobers. I get that the aim is probably balance, but it’s a game about ruthlessly cutting down cows that are threatening the lifeblood of aliens: poking em and doing weird stuff.

This game was a little trying, but I did end up beating it after 3 attempts. It got pretty dang harrowing at the end, but the victory/ending screen was really really good. Jon likely won’t get to it on the stream, but it’s good.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 27, 2018

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Giggs posted:

Feedback

Thanks for playing it and giving feedback. Yeah the plow does no damage which was actually intentional. The last few days of the jam were mostly spent balancing. Really minor changes kept pushing it back and forth from being way too easy to completely impossible.

For instance I tightened the controls at one point, but it verged on being to simplistic. I changed the wave behavior but the games performance crashed hard. Too few waves and I was bored.

The cows shield up actually because it kept messing with crash damage and collision. If they didnt have a delay/shield some of the time they were too easy to run over and kill. Which meant there needed to be way more of them, which tanked performance again.

Basically everything I ended up with was a result of time constraints and trying to get some semblance of balance in there. Getting to where it is now with it starting easier and the difficulty coming in at the right time was pretty hard to hit.

And yeah the music track is way too short, my wife was getting really annoyed hearing it all the time during testing. But I wanted to try to make something music wise so it is what it is.

Thanks again!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

60 Second History's public build will be up within the next 24 hours. I'll be posting the incomplete version that I did to meet the deadline "demo" version as well as the completed thing, so you can choose how you evaluate me. What fun!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

:toot: Jamflix and Chill is going to return next week! :toot:

What: Jamflix and Chill is an hour-long stream where we being jam participants on to chill and chat about their game. It's fun, laid back, and pretty informative!

When: 5 PM to 6 PM PST (8 EST) Tuesday - Friday

Where: It'll stream live to Twitch at http://twitch.tv/dietinghippo and VODs (with some editing) will be on YouTube shortly after.

Who: Xibanya and I will co-host the stream along with 8-12 teams/individuals.

Like the first iteration of Jamflix and Chill for Awful Summer Jam 2017, I'm looking for eight teams (or individuals on those teams) to fill eight half-hour time slots. They'll be first-come first-serve, PM me here or on Discord with what time slot you're available for. If the initial eight fill up, I'll ask for four more people to take up an extra third slot at 6:00 PM.

Time Slots:
Tuesday, Jan 30th @ 5:00 PM PST with Ultigonio, "Unearth"
Tuesday, Jan 30th @ 5:30 PM PST with TomR, "Night of the Surfing Dead"
Tuesday, Jan 30th @ 6:00 PM PST with whatPanache, "Unidentified Falling Objects"
Wednesday, Jan 31st @ 5:00 PM PST with Raujinn, "Oh Darn The Time Machine We Stole Has Gone Haywire"
Wednesday, Jan 31st @ 5:30 PM PST with alligator, "Molasses!"
Wednesday, Jan 31st @ 6:00 PM PST
Thursday, Feb 1st @ 5:00 PM PST with Nihiloss, "1937"
Thursday, Feb 1st @ 5:30 PM PST with megane, "A Machine to End War"
Thursday, Feb 1st @ 6:00 PM PST
Friday, Feb 2nd @ 5:00 PM PST with SysL, "Y2Kthulhu"
Friday, Feb 2nd @ 5:30 PM PST with Giggs, "The Purging of Darkstorm Cave"
Friday, Feb 2nd @ 6:00 PM PST with EntranceJew/Gunzil, "Oligocene Snapshot"

I'm lookin' forward to just chilling for an hour and chattin' about your games, so sign up soon!

Edit: All 5/5:30 slots filled! There two 6'ers left for anyone else that wants to come on.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 30, 2018

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is there a list of entries somewhere?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Is there a list of entries somewhere?

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.awfuljams.com/winter-2018/games

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Yes. Thank you.

I think the last time i checked the site it wasn’t there yet. Or maybe I’m blind.

Good poo poo y’all 👍

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Thanks again to the people who played my game. I really appreciate the feedback. I have written a post mortem you can read here: http://www.awfuljams.com/winter-2018/games/night-of-the-surfing-dead

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sounds like a good partnership! And crazy good from someone that hadn't even touched Unity before!

First batch of unposted games! Instead of doing them by submission date, I did them so I could watch more of the second part of the Gong Show stream without skipping it. However, that means I did pass over any games that were covered on the first day of streaming that I hadn't already covered, which I'll have to get to afterwards.

Harry Houdini and the Mummified Meanies by Team Just Neil
Miner 2049er-esque platformer starring Harry Houdini by way of Lovecraft (apparently influenced by an indie game called Panic Variants). Funny enough I didn't get the bug the readme mentioned where you don't jump 3-4 squares, but a different one where I seemed to have infinite jump height (even killing me when I'd break the boundary)! Luckily it worked fine on another computer. First off, what a neat looking tileset! Pretty striking! Overall, this is a simple, very predictable platformer for the most part. There's not a lot involved in learning (or much to learn, I suppose) and it seemed a lot of the difficult was centered around overrushing into obstacles. There also seemed to be a lot of waiting for enemies. But overall I didn't think there was enough play with its mechanics, or situations where I thought the game expected precise yet simple controls (because it could've been a hard-core platformer with simple controls, plenty of those exist but the successful ones are usually elevated in design or through strong iteration in some way). And honestly sometimes I thought I'd hit a jump and it didn't go (or fudge the numbers so it let me get away with it) which made it feel a bit slippery. That said, maybe the game's just not targeted at me (that's okay!). For that consideration I'd maybe suggest focusing less on an endurance run and more on simple but interesting segments. A part of that might be changing the gold into some other mechanic that has more of an impact where now it's just collect whatever out of oops I missed one to continue.

:aaaaa: I just took a break and happened to read Giggs's post. Eerie how close they are!

I should stress, this is not a bad game! It's actually fairly cute, and I've sure put time into simple old-school platformers for less. It seems more that it's competent but really needs some iteration and experimentation to pin down what its good at.

Dueling fathers by SoggyBread
One-button reaction game with skills! This isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea but there's a lot done right here, that's inarguable. It has cute graphics, it definitely covers periods of weird history, and there's no skill that outright trumps (true, there's a lot of "use first!" type skills, but a lot of it depends on who you're facing and luck of aim). I don't know if the gameplay is interesting enough to really have much of a draw or payoff (all things equal it'd be down to character choice. I just don't see a lot of reading during the match which even a lot of these simple skill-based party games have!) and I think a lot of the little things like dialogue and animation need some more oomph into it, but it does work. I'm actually pretty interested in seeing SoggyBread apply their strengths (which right now I'd consider rules making, graphics, a keen but not-too-on-the-nose sense of humor) to future jams and hope I remember this one when that time comes!

Football Wars by Ghost Dad
Weird soccer/football-based obstacle course game. Congrats on finishing your first jam game! It really is a good idea, although a bit frustrating to actually play. I think its main problems were a lack of predictability and defined space. I felt like I kept doing the same things and hope they worked rather than learning the odd peculiarities of the physics system. A fair amount of an underwater or ice feel to it! If there was stuff to learn it didn't feel like the game had a handle on what it was and how to approach that. But the creativity is there, there's a bit of dark humor there!

Oh Darn The Time Machine We Stole Has Gone Haywire by Chikin Wings
No public build! That's a shame but I'm excited to see it played tomorrow. For reference/bribery for future jams, I called the previous jam game, Headphone Hero, "an easy recommendation."

The Incredible Story of Pizza by ThatSnillet's soloteam
Lego Island-inspired pizza making/delivery simulator! Here's one where I was more interested in the technology then the game. By that I mean the game, while everything works, lacks a lot of depth and progression. But the technical side of it has things like a 3D randomly generated world, a couple things build on top of it to encourage free-roaming, and really neat low-polygon graphics. And it all has a very quaint feel to it! It almost feels like a tech demo to something larger (and I have more than a hunch that that's true, or at least something close but kind of the reverse to that). And, besides all of that, the pizza making works even if it outright lacks a lot of the things that make other management sims successful. I'd definitely like to see more of this developer in other jams with bigger scope!

Glacier Hero by RustyJim
Frets on Ice! Really interesting looking style! And the game is fairly fun to play on top of that! I do think it suffers quite a bit from being randomly generated and not in sync with the music though (that said, I can see someone complaining, if it was the other way, that it's the same every time. Probably should've pregenerated one and developed the other if there was time!). Sometimes the generation seemed too crowded and I'd have trouble telling if something was in a line or slightly off. Oh, and the bar/glacier part is a bit too noisy and you can't really tell when it's optimal to hit (on the line, before the line where it pops up, in the middle part of where it pops up, in the zone part at the bottom?). To your credit it also shouldn't be understated how awful it is to build a rhythm game due to all the technical issues. But overall this was a neat short one!

Dieting Hippo posted:

:toot: Jamflix and Chill is going to return next week! :toot:
Awesome, that was a ton of fun last time! I'll try to catch it live when I can!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Yes. Thank you.

I think the last time i checked the site it wasn’t there yet. Or maybe I’m blind.

Good poo poo y’all 👍

You have to click the 'Submissions' tab to see the games, which is a little unfortunate.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Thanks to everyone who enjoyed Traalbanthlalgarr!: And the Legend of the Sleeping Princess during the Gong Show!

For those of you still interested in beating it, I created a cheat sheet that gives you all the answers so you can beat the game in a tenth the time at a tenth of the fun!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NKyJOQysUhMQMCjsQ2VTkYnWKdc5Q7oliHqI7_1wM-k/edit?usp=sharing

Also, I guess I'll share an interesting tidbit about the game you may not have noticed:

So, I usually have the penchant for giving my jam games really long and incredibly complicated titles that don't really roll off the tongue at all, and this game was no exception. When I was done programming the game four hours before the deadline and started testing it, I realized I would constantly misspell the title as Trallbanthlalgarr inconsistently throughout the game. Normally, I wouldn't give a poo poo, but since one of the questions relied on the fact the player could spell the title correctly I had to make changes everywhere, which again wasn't too big of a deal. The only major thing was that the jpeg title screen also had the same stupid misspelling, and since I was so close to the deadline and only saved the final image, I deftly copied and pasted the original 3 letters over the title to cover up the mistake.

Fortunately, because the lovely piece of low resolution Thomas Kinkade background art is so noisy, it's hard to actually notice this unless you're really paying attention. But it is there, and it's probably what I consider the funniest part of the game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Y2Kthulhu V1.1 (After Gong Show) Update:

+ Specials Have Been Updated
++ Each special describes what it does properly now.
++ Block Wall is no longer permanent immortality. It will wear off randomly.
++ Fairy Tale does 10 Damage to Monster and Player now. It's no longer an instant win.
++ Infinite Space no longer gives you infinite BP, it will now give you a random value between 1-12.

+ Level Up
++ The player will level up and gain 5HP per level now.

+ Text has been updated
++ Fixing typos, that's about it.

+ Audio Updated
++ Made the special attack clips normalized in volume, so it's not randomly super quiet at points.

Download Update Here. Old saves still work.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I saw this on Neil's Twitter, but looks like Unearth and Harry Houdini and the Mummified Meanies were featured in PC Gamer's "Free games of the week" article!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It took me way too long to find these, so I'll repost the links if anyone else missed the proper airings:

Gong Show Day 1
Gong Show Day 2

To Mastigophoran (or whoever it was that asked this question on The Oregon Trailblazer section): The music was me on the rhythm 6-string guitar/banjo and a buddy on the 12-string guitar at a big ol' house party that my roommate threw. I always record the jams with my musical buddy because they sound way better than what I have the patience to record by myself. And in this case I thought the interstitial conversations added to the charm, so I left most of them in.

Announcer wise, that was me. I meant to perhaps contact one of the other lovely goons who offered up their services, but I didn't get around to determining how many and which different things I wanted to say until about three days before the deadline.

Graphics wise, also me. I might be able to do a little better on the in-engine effects with more time, but that's about the peak of my artistic ability.

Finally, the bizarre gameplay decisions and hideous back-end copypasta were solely my fault. For some reason I was determined to have only one action button. This didn't track well with testers, but I also didn't engage testers until fairly late in the process. What you ended up with is a vast improvement over what I started with, but it still doesn't come across well.

My one unambiguous success was "Press Spacebar.txt". I finally found a way to trick the end user into reading the instructions.

Thanks to all the judges and independent reviewers. You add much value to an already enriching experience.

Mastigophoran
Oct 1, 2016

Not exactly immortal...
but close enough

Hammer Bro. posted:

To Mastigophoran (or whoever it was that asked this question on The Oregon Trailblazer section): The music was me on the rhythm 6-string guitar/banjo and a buddy on the 12-string guitar at a big ol' house party that my roommate threw. I always record the jams with my musical buddy because they sound way better than what I have the patience to record by myself. And in this case I thought the interstitial conversations added to the charm, so I left most of them in.

That was indeed me asking about it! You guys sounded real nice, I think I left the game running in the background for like half an hour just listening. I'm really glad it was indeed you and your friends rather than some kind of weird found-footage situation... My husband and I both play instruments and we were thinking of doing our own music next time we have time to take part in a jam proper, and with how nicely I think this works, I'm inspired to give it a shot.

I think your game came out pretty decently this time around, I remember that some of your submissions in previous jams weren't met particularly warmly? I think you've done a great job responding and reacting to the feedback you've received jam to jam, and this game was quite a lot better. Press Spacebar.txt indeed!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Spent a bunch of time on this so it comes by itself I guess.

The Oregon Trailblazer
\*Some of this has been addressed already but I’m not editing it because I guess it’s useful in its unaltered state. Like a thought-journal. That’s what that’s called... */

I’m confused as to why there’s talking in the background. I like it, but I don’t understand it. I’ve decided that you got some friends over and played guitars/banjos together and hung out and just recorded it. Playing the game did evoke a certain warmth which is typically lacking in the field in my experience.

The mechanics of the game are appreciably simple. One button to “do” and WASD/Arrows to move. I liked that only about ½ of the objects in the lanes cause damage outright, following a certain general idea of the objects themselves rather than some unnecessary notion of “realism”. A buffalo could easily be justified to cause injury to the player, but because buffalos aren’t established assholes and their purpose in relation to humanity is as a food source, they cause no damage from simple proximity. Good. This ties into a general diversity of relationships that I think this game does really nicely.

For instance, you don’t have to shoot squirrels, just stepping on them will kill them and provide a chance for food. Weapons do different amounts of damage, may or may not pass through objects, have different reload times and aim-speeds. I believe this game is among the most complex or deep of the jam. There’s a machine gun.

When you reach Oregon there are multiple outcomes dependent on your performance and consequently the RNG of the object spawning. My first completion was pretty solid. I was always nearly full, took almost no damage, and it didn’t take an excessive amount of time, but I hadn’t picked up “enough” cash to not get the “you died poor” ending. My brother immediately played after me and managed to get enough cash but got an ending relating to (I’m guessing) the purple magic box thing. This is really cool, but the explanations are a little too vague for a jam game for me not to feel a little confused or very-mildly-frustrated as to why I didn’t or did get what I did.

There are multiple pilgrims, none of which I unlocked in the normal playtime of 10-15 minutes I spend on these games. Also the pilgrims have random clothing/skin colouring each playthrough which adds some character to the progress system. You very thoughtfully provided a button to temporarily unlock all the characters which shows some great self-awareness.

I didn’t play with every character, but I did at least read what each one’s speciality was and I’m impressed. I’ve said “consistency” like 30 times in these reviews and it’s probably not the right word but I’m using it in this context: this stuff is very consistent. It all ties together into one intuitive and e:plainbelievable/automatic experience. It makes sense, is what I’m saying, in neat ways. This is the type of stuff that you should definitely keep in your back pocket for your next game. You have a system with several components, and you can flesh out the experience tremendously with simple affiliations to these components with different characters and stuff.

At this point I’ve read your post answering questions and yeah. I get that the one-button-for-everything can be annoying when it causes some occurrence you weren’t intending, but at the same time the game is heavily RNG based and very replayable. It’s not much of a big deal. I’ve had the game running in the background for both sessions of writing this feedback post and I must say it’s great audio. One minor gripe that’s only just revolving around my own personal curiosity is that I wish the stats screen also held information for how long I’ve been playing it. It would be funny if it had separated times like: Time played=___ and Time You’ve Left This Running = ____.

I liked it, and your narration was good I thought.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 30, 2018

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
holy poo poo someone actually beat S-Hard wtf

I'm glad I went back to check if I'd missed anything on the last page because this almost passed me by! The alternate ending bug where you lose your gold has been fixed. Good find, by the way! I agree that the movement could probably be slowed down just a patch, but it would take a fair bit of work to get things working just about as they are now, with those light adjustments. I showed the tutorial guy for the walljump because that's a particularly complex mechanic, so I figured a more detailed explanation would be necessary - that said, the tutorial instructions have been modified to make it more clear that you gotta hold the buttons. I agree that the charge jump is useless once you know what you're doing and I'm this close to just removing it entirely, but, like the bombs, it's a nice tool for players to get to grips with the game's mechanics - it allows them to spend some stamina to make certain jumps back up easier, and I think that's okay - this won't happen for all players, but I have seen footage of folks making good use out of it.

If I ever make a heavily updated version of the game - a v2.0 of sorts - slightly slower movement speed that makes it easier to drop down gaps consistently and perhaps a total removal of the charge jump would be in order. Thank you for putting in enough time to get all the way through S-Hard, though. I'm really glad someone got to give that one a full go.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Ahh, one more.

Unearth
I missed the chance to screenshot the fact that I used 69 stamina. Kevin Sorbo level Disappointment.
I’m playing version 1.0.3, by the way.

The polish on this game is ridiculous. The only lacking area is the pixel font. Some of the letters are examples of just not-good typography. "m" looks like , which is most definitely not m. I’m aware of the limitations imposed by a 96x96 window or what have you but yo. That M is no bueno. Same for W and some other letters. It’s a peeve of mine, I'm sorry. Besides that it feels so complete and well designed.

I have to admit that I played through it from around submission time until now never having even attempted getting any gold. I loved the speedrunning component of it so much I couldn’t give a hoot about gold. I’m not great at it, never breaking 3:30 on Normal as far as I remember. When I first played it (the first 6-10 times) it was around submission time and none of the dialogue was in. It definitely provides purpose but as of beating both Hard mode and Normal mode it doesn’t seem to go anywhere very interesting. I feel like I’ve beaten the first two difficulties with and without punchin a dude, you know, though I might be mistaken. As far as I’ve seen it’s either just credits or I sold the stuff and became rich and then credits. I’d have liked to have seen more development around the story in that respect, but considering the product around the story, it’s hard to give a poo poo, honestly.

This is like the epitome in my mind of what a two-week jam game should be. It’s simple, it’s well designed, it’s very pretty, it’s fun, it’s got plenty of recognizable and enjoyable audio cues and music, it engages the player with a challenge (or two, really) and when you gently caress it all up and ruin a run it’s 95% of the time the players fault. I had a couple weird things happen. A snake fell through a 1x1 hole and then landed on the side it originally fell in, where I was at the time, costing me enough stamina to cause a retry. High effort representation:

I couldn’t tell if it was just me accidentally hitting the direction back away from a hole I was falling down without noticing or a little bug, but sometimes when falling into a hole I would land and be facing the opposite direction I went in it, which sometimes caused wasted stamina or missing an enemy I was landing beside and expecting to give the ol’ what for.

I missed the chance to beat the game on 4:20. Auuuuuuuuugh.

I wanted to see what the final difficulty was like, and after beating Hard mode the end-screen says to collect gold and you’ll get something. I had a lapse and played on Normal, collecting all the gold, only to find out that you only unlock the final difficulty after collecting the gold on Hard. I get that, it makes perfect sense, but to some extent I feel like I earned it and was disappointed I didn’t get the opportunity to try. It’s almost an impossibility that I won’t play it more to earn it the real way, but it’s a thought. Also it feels strange to charge the jump and then have to press a button to “use” it. Half of the time when the level ends the Stamina Used either sits at a number for the duration then pips up by one. I'm pretty sure this is a bug, because the rest of the time it starts at 0 and counts up to the final number.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!

I thought I got it at 69 AND 4:20 but… small victories.

I didn’t realize this was a puzzle until I played it on Hard, some 25 attempts in. I had always just put a dynamite on the rock and went on my way.

It would have been very easy to design the levels in such a way that forces the puzzle solving or somehow aggravates the speedrunning, but you didn’t. This is really impressive and what you say on the jam page is spot-on: you should absolutely be proud of this.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 30, 2018

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Giggs posted:

The only lacking area is the pixel font. Some of the letters are examples of just not-good typography. "m" looks like , which is most definitely not m. I’m aware of the limitations imposed by a 96x96 window or what have you but yo. That M is no bueno. Same for W and some other letters.
Hah! I completely understand, I think you're the third to complain about this issue specifically. My understand of typography has grown a little bit over time, but I still can't quickly recognize the good from the bad, and I didn't wanna spend a lot of time futzing around with the font for Unearth. It's definitely something I'd go back to in the future, though.

quote:

I feel like I’ve beaten the first two difficulties with and without punchin a dude, you know, though I might be mistaken. As far as I’ve seen it’s either just credits or I sold the stuff and became rich and then credits.
This was something I thought about, but lol time. There would have been some complexity for getting that sort of thing wired up, never mind the time it would have taken to build whatever new content might change in those circumstances.

quote:

I had a couple weird things happen. A snake fell through a 1x1 hole and then landed on the side it originally fell in, where I was at the time, costing me enough stamina to cause a retry. High effort representation:
Ah, yeah. Snake behavior is just slightly random and I sincerely don't understand why that is, though I think the extremely low res and messy coding here and there

quote:

I couldn’t tell if it was just me accidentally hitting the direction back away from a hole I was falling down without noticing or a little bug, but sometimes when falling into a hole I would land and be facing the opposite direction I went in it, which sometimes caused wasted stamina or missing an enemy I was landing beside and expecting to give the ol’ what for.
This could potentially be a wall-slide bug. I've had it happen very rarely, but I think I understand how it could occur.

quote:

I wanted to see what the final difficulty was like, and after beating Hard mode the end-screen says to collect gold and you’ll get something. I had a lapse and played on Normal, collecting all the gold, only to find out that you only unlock the final difficulty after collecting the gold on Hard. I get that, it makes perfect sense, but to some extent I feel like I earned it and was disappointed I didn’t get the opportunity to try. It’s almost an impossibility that I won’t play it more to earn it the real way, but it’s a thought. Also it feels strange to charge the jump and then have to press a button to “use” it. Half of the time when the level ends the Stamina Used either sits at a number for the duration then pips up by one. I'm pretty sure this is a bug, because the rest of the time it starts at 0 and counts up to the final number.
I totally understand your disappointment re: not unlocking the final difficulty, and it's something I wish I could address, but the I kinda need to make sure that players can solve all the game's puzzles without bombs before letting them try it. This is why I wish I could have had time to give gold some extra meaning, so that collecting it all on Normal would still give you something. I also understand the complaint about the charge jump, and... actually, maybe I could change that? Hmm. The thing you're seeing with your Stamina Used counter is that you're skipping it by mashing Z - because I wanted to have this feature but implement it as quickly as possible, it just sticks the number at the near-top and then counts the rest of the way up. This would probably be something that I'd address later if I work on the game any further.

quote:

I didn’t realize this was a puzzle until I played it on Hard, some 25 attempts in. I had always just put a dynamite on the rock and went on my way.

Haha, this is kind of a key example of why Normal is the way it is - bombs are a great way to just let the player blitz through puzzles in a very carefree sort of way - they don't have to think too hard, and that's great because it means it takes a fairly low level of energy to engage with the game at a base level. For Hard and the unlockable difficulty, folks are expected to think harder, but the goal is that they won't be put off by doing so as they may have been going in cold because they've already engaged with the game on Normal and better understand how it works. Also, it's good to see someone playing in Fullscreen, I got a request for that feature near the end and it's cool that people have found it useful for them.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ultigonio posted:

Thank you for putting in enough time to get all the way through S-Hard, though. I'm really glad someone got to give that one a full go.
My pleasure!

Last batch here from me, covering the jams I didn't cover from Gong Show day one! I don't know if I've said it yet, but thanks to all the participants! I wouldn't change a thing expect for, um, all of my writing. I also definitely missed some spellchecks there, wow!

FENRIR by Vulture Party
(Public build removed but still available on itch.io?). Destroy villages as the great Fenrir in a third-person destruction game! Yes, okay, definitely some issues with this one. I might be a bit rough here, so apologies! There's camera issues (mouse moves camera but doesn't orient character) and control issues not just with design (what uses are howl, dash, and jump? When should I use them?) but in technical design (WASD to control but also X to dash? Seems much more controllable with arrow keys as well). There's big problems with the UI at the end (part of which seems to be inadequate scaling. I had teeny text and icons in a huge box). I also ran into a bug where I got stuck near a mountain even though I wasn't obviously pinned or anything. Finally, it kind of starts as this weird kind of destruction/simulation game, but with the black soot (why does stepping on that hurt again?) and everything it kind of turns a bit into a weird platformer/gauntlet thing. It seems like there should be more systems that push back and kind of grow so it feels alive. However, the ambition is great! It seems like there's a story that the dev desperately wants to tell here, which I love! Also, there's neat dev notes (look at that concept art on the jam page! Look at that model!) and a nice critical post mortem that's probably more valuable than what I could offer! I'd be more than satisfied if this was my first developed jam game.

Glory SImulator 480 BC by Team Phlargenarffen
Hold out against the wave of Xerxes by throwing your dorata! I think I did get to the end of this one though it just looped. I had a lot of trouble with the perspective or hitboxes here, and it was pretty frustrating to miss an enemy and have to correct by inches. Another spatial issue popped up with trying to get around the enemy projectile attack with such a wide rank, and it seemed like you really needed three Spartans and to have happened to have killed the right enemies near instantly to hold out on certain waves (4 or so). Maybe not making an enemy slipping through auto-count as damage could've helped this? I did laugh at the little apple that appears when you beat a wave, though. And the aesthetics did have a certain charm to them though perhaps not as apparent at that perspective. Overall, not too bad and it ran fairly well!

World War Kaiju by Frozen Sky
No public build. But I did go back and watch the Gong Show part and read the Wordpress post. Impressed with the amount of thought in the design document! Super ambitious!

Dahunt by TrainFacts
No public build. I also went and watched the Gong Show part for this one! I wanted to see the ending at least, but oh well. It seemed more complete than I expected, and it looked like there was some work put into the narrative and trying to make it more than just a "mini-game". I don't know if it all hit but I was a little surprised in that for a non-public one. It seemed colorful and easy to jump into at least, and with a little work I could see it as something that you could've really put out there for the jam!

Traalbanthlalgarr: Legend of the Sleeping Princess by Team Krell!!!!!
No problem.

60 Second History by SEXY LOCAL TEAM IN YOUR AREA
No public build (yet?). Surprised at that, seemed pretty fun when I went back to the Gong Show! I was rooting for a honeybee timeline personally. Did seem like it would've benefited greatly from some variant closure but what was there looked good!

Blown away by the quality of games this Winter jam! Seriously, I had to keep reminding myself this was the two week one. Get some rest, jeez!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
A Machine to End War
This was with version 1.3

Point the first: a joke about how many people are on this team. “Wowowowow, there’s a lot of people on this team.” Bad joke. Point the rest:

I playtested this a couple times before submission and it is pretty crazy how much was added or finalized in the last few days mechanically and visually.

This game has a lot of good juiciness, though some small things I think could make a difference. The walls are destructible (great), but there’s no damage indicator for them, so they go from perfect to rubble (less great). Speaking of destructible walls, none of the enemies take advantage of it. I can’t think offhand of a smooth way to get enemies to use this fact and also path well, but maybe there’s something that would make it feel more dynamic or different. The audio for the raygun is very good, as are the visuals for it, and it’s OP as all get out, but still fun.

The patents are confusing. I first thought they replenished energy at the cost of HP, but they seem to only cause damage. It’s not explained in-game and unless the player leans in to read it, it’s hard to even know that they’re patents. The story structure/theme idea is cool, though I think it could have been better established. The level order seems like it’s not … in order? The first stage was relating to Marconi (I don’t know who Marconi is), and I didn’t see any boss figure to assume was Marconi. The second level was the Nobel Prize w Edison which had Edison at the end, and then the third level was working for/with surprise-Edison. I don’t get it.

The room with Edison was bugged out for me. The enemies at the bottom of the screen filed in one at a time, where the door opened, one enemy came in and turned invisible/immovable, and then the door closed. I stood there with the raygun to clear them out and then nothing happened. I walked around shooting the raygun through the sides until I got to the top and killed something above the entrance that had a different death noise. I’m pretty sure it was Edison.

The use of these different rooms is nice, they provide different situations to deal with and dangers to the player. It was a short jam and there’s already a ton of assets in this game, but having tilesets for each “level” as I keep calling it would have given each part a much more coherent feeling of environment. The story implies like, a workspace/warehouse, somewhere relating to Edison & Nobel Prize, and Marconi, all of which could have their own look, but when you’re playing it’s all the same walls/floors throughout.

The balancing (besides the raygun) feels good. It’s fun to run around and shoot all these juicy little buggers and dodge rockets, bullets, lasers and robots. The volume was defaulted to 10% which I appreciate, though the overall volume was significantly dropped since the playtesting version which I appreciate much more. I will forever be the guy that whines about how loud it was in earlier versions. Boo hoo hoo, my baby earballs.

I don’t like assuming the worst, but with so many people on this team it could have backfired. It’s great that it didn’t, and I hope you’re all pleased with the final product. I’ve never played SmashTV or similar games of the era, but I’ve played a bunch of Binding of Isaac and this was a nice take on the genre and theme.

Very well done, Wardenclyffe Laboratory Technicians!

Traalbanthlalgarr: Legend of the Sleeping Princess
When you posted the download link to this on submission day I decided to play and see if there were any bugs. I didn’t find any besides the resetting transition from the title screen, but managed to get to the last scene after many failures. I hosed up the first question and knew I should stop until I can write down feedback later on. While I played I ended up taking screenshots and hastily cropping them together in MSPaint to keep track of important information. I say “important information” but I didn’t know what was important, so it was just a mass of dialogues and images all over. I didn’t finish it before the Gong Show, so I was spoiled on the final section and the “gotcha” moment. It’s loving brilliant. Replaying it to the end this time around I got called a “loving cheater” and was like, “Yeah. Eat it, goblin king”.

The writing is great. The characters don’t just dissolve into shallow joke dispensers, they’re established and feel pretty well fleshed out by the end. There’s a lot of funny lines and the quality of the voice acting is really good. You mentioned in Discord that you recorded all of it in a day or something? That’s insane. You’re insane. And talented.

The death screens and associated messages are good, and the now standard Krell fail-buzzer is really jarring, making me feel bad when I wasn’t getting something right. It took me around 4 tries to get the last question from the first character right, as I really couldn’t keep track of the years and so I heard the buzzer and saw the death screen a lot in a short amount of time. It was a little rough being assaulted by the buzzer, but, it feels like it fit. You gently caress up, you get punished. The use of the theme is great in its uh, I don’t know how to say it. Experiential? Tactile? The game is the weird history and its about history of a weird place with weird people. It’s good.

I might steal Traalbanthlalgarr for my D&D game. Thank you. This was a really great game and the only thing that could have made it better was if it was higher on the awfuljams page so that I could have gotten through it before the Gong Show and felt the stab of “You fucker, I got you you fucker” that the ending presented.

So good.

Peasants! Build Me A Castle!
This game is a real doozy. It’s possibly the slowest starting jam game I’ve ever played. I’ve played it for well over an hour and I was trying to reach an “ending” but still couldn’t get to it. It’s slow starting because of the type of game it is, of course, and not because it’s poorly made. There’s a lot of cool parts to this game and things that are done well, and there’s a lot that isn’t done very well, but mostly due to jam constraints and I presume not poor choices.

This game does not explain itself well. There are far too many little things to know to make progress and unfortunately the game doesn’t have the time to tell you about it. I nearly quit because I thought it was bugged until I read the instructions from the start of the game again on the pause menu where it says workshops need to be emptied to continue production. I’m not sure I get why that’s really necessary but I kept playing. I built schools, workshops, too many beds, and collected everything I could find and research a way to earn. Why are fishing spots denoted by whirlpools? How should I know that these bushes are where you get fruit? Are they just decoration? If I build two schools will research go faster if they research the same thing? You get my point, there’s far too many questions, and even answering them all in a clear and helpful way might be outside the scope of the jam, let alone the rest of the game.

To some extent, it might be better that a lot of stuff isn’t explained, because that just introduces more points of failure for communication. The workshop thing though, that should be explicit. The lack of music is a bit of a bummer, the audio’s levels otherwise are a little wonky where the zoom/proximity window to allow sounds seems really narrow. If there was music over top of it I would get it.

I’m surprised the game never crashed, to be perfectly honest. There’s so many drat peasants. If I remembered to try it before closing the game, I think the stutter from instantaneously pathing all the peasants I had at once would have lasted more than a second or two, or even crashed it, but I didn’t. This leads me to my only real significant gripe. There’s no saving. I really wish there was saving, because this game is not a quick run and with the pressure it can put you under while trying to play it in one go it can get really disappointing when you realize “Oh wait, I need to go ____” and then all that progress is lost. I know if I started over I could do things better and faster, and that there’s an option to enable time acceleration with -gongshow or whatever but yooooo. This game really needs saving.

What caused me to finally stop playing was that A) Bricks take far too long to build for a castle if you don’t start early enough in the game to the point where having 3 normal workshops and 3 second-level workshops exclusively making bricks would still have taken far too long and B) Bacon wasn’t being counted when I was producing it and thus I could never have built the castle.

This game is ridiculously ambitious and for the most part the systems are well put together, but when you want someone to spend as much time playing your game as they need to get to the ending stuff, there need to be some quality of life measures to ensure they don’t run into something that makes them feel like they’ve wasted time playing.

Extremely ambitious, cool systems once you figure it out, but the lack of saves is a real let-down. I’m glad your team went a little wild this time around. It’s good for the blood flow.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thank you for the detailed review and thoughtful input Giggs. We have been working on an update to Machine to End War that should address a bunch of your thoughts, including how levels are organized. Hopefully we will have that done by this Thursday.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Oligocene Snapshot
Up front: I don’t have any nostalgia for Pokemon Snap. I enjoyed my time with this game, throwing apples and taking some pictures and never ever getting any Special points. I’m not sure what to say about it, honestly. There’s a slew of references to things, things that I like and enjoy, and enjoyed the references thereto. I will never not appreciate a reference to Kids in the Hall and when the music came on during the stream I was like “uuuhhhhoooooOOOH! Yeah!” Whereas the judges were saying it rekindled their interest in a new Pokemon Snap, it rekindled my interest in watching the entire series of KiTH yet again.

The blurbs that are generated per picture are nice, though they repeat quite often. The names of the creatures and historical explanations are funny. Reactions to apple collisions are varied and enjoyable, and that Devitochu or whatever had like a goatee or something. I can get behind that.

The twitch chat integration during the stream was great, it made it real silly and funny and it was cool. That doesn’t exist for non-streamers though, so it’s a bit dry when you’re on your own. The audio was enjoyable and the environments had little hidden tableau(s?) that were cool to find. I like the use of theme here. It’s right up front and simple and effective.

Dueling fathers
This is a nice, simple, fun game. The aesthetic and audio fit together really nicely. There’s some complexity in the characters though there’s a little lacking in motivation for it. Let me be more specific: Each character has special abilities that cost faults against the player to use. After 3 faults you lose. I’m not sure how else it could be done, but as it is I didn’t have any reason to use it. I’m just ~*too good at videogames*~. I first played through with Washington and never lost a fight, and I didn’t read the readme until halfway through the game. I was originally confused by the fact that HP seemed to be a thing though there was not any visual indicator thereof. Reading illuminated everything, as it tends to do.

I like that there’s only the one button in-game. It’s simple and does what is needed. Maybe some more complexity could be added to this, I’m not sure how, but it’s good to see someone scope reasonably for a jam. It’s a skill that should always be commended. You said in the post-mortem that the art wasn’t everything you wanted it to be, but I think it’s pretty nice. I would say the font is a little lacking because of its fuzziness, but the characters, the character icons, and the fight-intro-anime-background are really nice.

The music sounds very much like genuine NES music. Like, something out of Pro Wrestling or those group of first party Nintendo games of the time. It’s real nice.

I never played this in two-player mode, so unfortunately what I assume would be the prime circumstance to use special abilities was missed on me.

Nicely done.

No public builds:
60 Second History
I was really surprised that there wasn't a public build after I saw the Gong Show, even if there's nothing outside of what was exactly shown on stream, it still seems cool and worth throwing it out there! I want it!
World War Kaiju
I wasn't exactly sure what was going on when I watched the stream, because it was on a TV and not high quality, but I'd like to have given it a shot.
Dahunt
The story taking the front stage in this seems really cool, plus as mentioned above, I'm ~*too good at videogames*~ so I would probably have enjoyed this.
Oh Darn The Time Machine We Stole Has Gone Haywire
The animation is loving great and the puzzles seemed well thought-out even if you had to reconstruct your game pretty far in. It's not as brutal as your post-mortem says, I would argue.

I believe that's everyone and everything. Like Doom Goon said, this was a hell of a jam. So many good games! Hell yeah, everybody.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 31, 2018

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Dieting Hippo posted:

:toot: Jamflix and Chill :toot:
I missed about the first half hour (Unearth's segment), but today's show is streaming now!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Y2Kthulhu 1.2 Update
Updated: New graphics! There is more than one enemy type now! More readability! More meaty special attack sounds!

Download

Edit: And if anyone wants to see them, here is the 'HD' Renders for each room.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 31, 2018

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Thanks to everyone for coming on today! The VOD for today's Jamflix and Chill is up for viewing on Twitch, I'll have a YouTube link later when it's done processing.

Twitch VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/224170806

The next stream is tomorrow at 5 PST with Raujinn and alligator, come check it out!

Edit: YouTube VOD is up :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF3UurGkWN0

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 31, 2018

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The public build of 60 Second History is officially up!
I wasn't happy with the unfinished version I submitted for the jam, so I decided to hold out on posting a public link until I had a build I was happy with.

The final version has twice as many minigames, as well as many endings. Can you view them all and unlock Ultimate Bonus Mode?
Here's some screenshots to give you an idea of what to expect:

There's a couple more screenshots at the game page.

Download the full version here

Or download the incomplete jam version here if you absolutely must

Doom Goon posted:

60 Second History by SEXY LOCAL TEAM IN YOUR AREA
No public build (yet?). Surprised at that, seemed pretty fun when I went back to the Gong Show! I was rooting for a honeybee timeline personally. Did seem like it would've benefited greatly from some variant closure but what was there looked good!

No honeybee timeline unfortunately (though I considered something similar), but there is a small reference to another old game of mine in there!

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 31, 2018

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
A quick video of Team Slightly Bigger Snowball's failed attempt. We had all the parts at deadline and I couldn't get everything together in time, so I threw together a smaller level to show off the basic mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqNSPnFyFQ

The models came from the asset store but the sprites and animation are all my friend. All the sound was really bad free stuff, so I think I'll solve that problem and put a demo up in the Making Games thread sooner or later.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That's a bummer, it looks like you were pretty close to something that worked! Glad to see you are still messing around with it. If you didn't know, you can get removed from the 'wall of shame' by finishing (gamejam level finished not polished and perfect) a game that jives with the theme. You have until the next jam to do it. Just talk to @JonTerp on the discord.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Jamflix and Chill is going live soon, come watch us chat! :toot:

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/958864916642803712

Edit: Show's over! Thanks to Xibanya, Raujinn, and alligator for all coming on. We'll be back on tomorrow with Nihiloss and the Wardenclyffe Laboratory Technicians!

Twitch VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/dietinghippo/manager/edit/224469008

Youtube VOD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8l9kxojRxI

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 1, 2018

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I really love how nitty-gritty Jamflix and Chill can get, while also going completely off the rails into Sonic canon. If you ever were like, "Hey, that palette looks familiar, what influenced that?" or "Why does this phase work like that?" it's great, but also a ton of enlightening stuff just comes up in the informal setting (Sonic or not).

I'm going to be super busy at least for tomorrow, but I hope to get to some of these "loose threads" (that's weird to say considering the judging isn't even over) in the next few days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

60 Second History
It’s may be different to be giving feedback/impressions on a game that isn’t too close to the judging build, but … who cares? Brought me out of retirement.

It pains me to say but I couldn’t find two of the endings. I have to assume that the game doesn’t save, which means I’ll probably never go back to find the two I missed because I played this game for around forty minutes and still couldn’t get ‘em. I played through it and found 7 unique endings which I determined by taking screenshots of each upon completion. Then I thought “Oh, there’s no way in hell I’m going to be able to keep track” and instead drew a very neat and tidy tree of outcomes and endings. Just-about-all-the-spoilers in this image, but I want to show that I really gave it a shot, and that I’m very organized and think ahead when drawing.

The use of theme is really good. Branching stories/paths are not only a huge hassle because of the exponential growth, but also because of the expectations of decisions to have unique outcomes. This game does quite well to deal with that problem. Some outcomes of some minigames lead to the same game or ending, but it doesn’t feel cheap. Sometimes there’s even minor variety that feels earned and sensible. Teclado. There is, I believe, one path that locks you into a specific and unique ending from like, minigame 3? It involves blood. I think once you hit that you can’t get off that route, which I’m only mildly bummed about.

I wish the save was there or that it at the very least showed the endings you’ve unlocked or how many are left. If it was organized into a tree that could be wicked helpful and motivating for the player to spend the time to unlock the bonus mode.

Some of the controls aren’t what the prompts actually say they are. I’ve lost track, but one of them says hit space when it’s really the mouse button. Also, that imagination game is a real poo poo-show, which means it’s much harder and more frustrating to explore the games endings than it needs/should be.

This game’s humour is also, subjectively obviously, very very good. There’s plenty of little goofs and japes and I was titillated throughout. It’s unfortunate that this was a much more barren submission at the deadline, but poo poo, I really enjoyed it.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 1, 2018

• Locked thread