Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Just got out of a meeting to learn about my new org's cloud strategy. We've already spun up a virtual data center, and that project is being nicknamed 'Base Camp'. All the announcements and presentations are heavily relying on mountain climbing imagery, most of it being photos of or graphics based on Everest. This leads me to wonder...

-What's our timeline for reaching the death zone?
-How long do we need to acclimatize at a partly cloudy level?
-Can I call the VDC members sherpas?
-Which team is going to be left behind on our summit attempt, stuck at the height of the project with no hope for rescue, fated to be forever memorialized like Green Boots? (I bet it's virtualization)

Toastmasters International is also rolling out a shiny new information system where the main user-facing interactive tool is dubbed "Base Camp." I volunteered to give some of the user orientation presentations, and this post made me wonder if I'll get any Everest jokes. I'll report back if I do. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PurpleButterfly posted:

Toastmasters International is also rolling out a shiny new information system where the main user-facing interactive tool is dubbed "Base Camp." I volunteered to give some of the user orientation presentations, and this post made me wonder if I'll get any Everest jokes. I'll report back if I do. :)

:10bux: says he dies attempting the ascent! :byodood:

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:10bux: says he dies attempting the ascent! :byodood:

LOL. My title is officially "Pathways Guide," so I’m basically the sherpa. I am still getting acclimated myself, though.

(aside: 'she,' and I think that applies to both Sirotan and myself, fyi.)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sirotan posted:

My boss just stopped by and I shared with him my Everest jokes. Think I probably weirded him out.

:v: "Do you climb?"
:j: Hah, no, I'm just fascinated by all the stories of arrogant assholes who get themselves killed on Everest! By the way have you read Into Thin Air?? ok I didn't actually say that, but I DID recommend the book.

Still trying to work out a good IT analogy for the Khumbu Icefall though. Something something automation spitting out an instance at the bottom?

It was a good book though.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
My department gives out awards, for successful projects they get the Everest award for reaching the summit. We also have a self-nominated Windy Corner award which means your project failed and you got blown off the mountain. You get a damaged and weathered trophy and get to tell your tale of lessons learned.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I keep reading"Everest" as "Everex." :corsair:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

tomapot posted:

My department gives out awards, for successful projects they get the Everest award for reaching the summit. We also have a self-nominated Windy Corner award which means your project failed and you got blown off the mountain. You get a damaged and weathered trophy and get to tell your tale of lessons learned.

I would be so much better if it was a pair of toddler sized booties spraypainted green. "You died, your corpse acts as a way marker for those who come after you, what have you learned?"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I would be so much better if it was a pair of toddler sized booties spraypainted green. "You died, your corpse acts as a way marker for those who come after you, what have you learned?"

I'm the one that still loves these.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
- Fax doesn't work
- Someone decides fax needs to be replaced
- Head out to remote site to deploy fax
- New fax can send but not receive
- Everybody's business cards at that site had the same typo in the fax number

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did they ask you to change the number to match the cards so they wouldn't have to reprint them?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PurpleButterfly posted:

LOL. My title is officially "Pathways Guide," so I’m basically the sherpa. I am still getting acclimated myself, though.

Ah, my bad!

:20bux: says she bails mid-climb due to the dangers and the climbers go off on their own to freeze to death! :byodood:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Did they ask you to change the number to match the cards so they wouldn't have to reprint them?

There's an office on the floor below me and whenever I hear these kinds of stories I gravitate towards thinking they're the kind of place. Like, throwing up their hands in exaspertion and poo poo and it makes me wonder about culture and how a corporation can reenforce negative loops

Like, you present evidence to them "yea we can try to get that number, but it might take months and a lot of money. How long and how much would it take to get new cards?"

Or, more simply "you'd have to submit a formal request though (whichever loving thing is responsible for that)"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PurpleButterfly posted:

You have to wear a giant parka the whole time and no cocktails, only yak buttered tea, and YOU provide the yak butter...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Arquinsiel posted:

Fix them for free with an Avery label!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

klosterdev posted:

- Everybody's business cards at that site had the same typo in the fax number
I have only raised my voice in anger at business colleagues twice in my life. One of them came after repeated complaints that a particular campaign was lagging because "[Macaroni] isn't putting out the communications that he should be." Turns out the campaign's phone number was incorrect across all publications and websites, and the target audience of old folks who didn't know how to email (this was 2006) just gave up trying to contact them. No, I did not get an apology.

The other time I yelled at a colleague, it involved Paypal and our nominal "webmaster" insisting that all he had to do was post the image of the PayPal button linking to PayPal.com and it would handle our donations automatically.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Macaroni posted:

...all he had to do was post the image of the PayPal button linking to PayPal.com and it would handle our donations automatically.

Brb have to go fix something. :supaburn:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thanks Ants posted:

Oooh these are always fun. Will they put up the targets for the next year / three years and then not provide any information on how they think they're going to get there?

My favourite part about the last mandatory company meeting that I went to (5 months ago now, thank god) is hard to choose.

Do I go with the random congratulations to all the other bosses while we go "ok"?

Do I go with the avoidance on quoting who's gotten the most "stars" on the company rating system if the bosses don't like that person?

Or do I go with the putting the department sales numbers up against eachother, congratulating the winners, giving them a prize and a bonus, then telling the losers they'll beat them next year, seemingly forgetting that it'll be the second year in a row that they've halved the team size for the losers and now its literally 5 dudes against 25

Yep, its the last one.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

dogstile posted:

My favourite part about the last mandatory company meeting that I went to (5 months ago now, thank god) is hard to choose.

Do I go with the random congratulations to all the other bosses while we go "ok"?

Do I go with the avoidance on quoting who's gotten the most "stars" on the company rating system if the bosses don't like that person?

Or do I go with the putting the department sales numbers up against eachother, congratulating the winners, giving them a prize and a bonus, then telling the losers they'll beat them next year, seemingly forgetting that it'll be the second year in a row that they've halved the team size for the losers and now its literally 5 dudes against 25

Yep, its the last one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZCszIUcyVM

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

quote:

How do I check to make sure my college phone is using college data and not my personal home data? I’m not talking about wi-fi. I’m referring to the times I need to use data on the college phone when I’m not on wi-fi.

...What? This is "not even wrong" type poo poo.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Avenging_Mikon posted:

...What? This is "not even wrong" type poo poo.

Ah yes. These are always cute. Fundamental lack of understanding of a thing doesn't bother me too much until you insist you know more than me though. This user gets a pass.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
A ticket came in:

"PC023197 is offline, host cannot be found when pinged and nothing on bumgar checked all 3 ports on the jack and this was the only one with activity but he could not get the computer or a laptop working on it; getting no logon servers available error. he didn't the jack number."

From a notoriously lazy desktop tech.

My boss, admittedly missing something, replies

"Have we and if not, can we plug a laptop into the jack and test before I dispatch an engineer?"

Well, mister desktop guy who has zero tickets assigned to him, and sits in an office 100 yards from the problem decided to be a snarky smart rear end and reply just using quotes from the ticket

“ "but he could not get the computer or a laptop working on it" ”

Really?

I drive completely across town, check out the junction box and there's two Ethernet connections and a phone jack. The machine is plugged into one that's not patched, of course, so I put it in the one that is patched and voila, all is well. :ssj:

If the guy would have just kept his mouth shut and/or not tried to be the next wannabe BOFH, I would have let it go. I'll never beat up on someone for an honest mistake, but because he's 1: too lazy to walk across a parking lot to collect info and 2: an rear end in a top hat about it, were having a little sitdown tomorrow.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Ah yes. These are always cute. Fundamental lack of understanding of a thing doesn't bother me too much until you insist you know more than me though. This user gets a pass.

Yeah. I tried to explain what I thought they were asking, and that the phone was tied to a specific account so if it wasn’t on wifi it would just use the account tied to the phone. And then covered my bases by saying if they actually meant their home wifi, don’t let it connect. Never heard back, but if they do, I’m going to ask them to call. I do way better on the phone as I can adjust explaining on the fly.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Well now I'm curious how dual SIM phones handle that. I wonder if you can edit a routing table to split traffic between the SIMs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

96 Port Hub posted:

Well now I'm curious how dual SIM phones handle that. I wonder if you can edit a routing table to split traffic between the SIMs.

Dual SIM phones usually just make you manually select a SIM to use as the main connection which will be used, and you have to then remember to switch over to check things/use data on the other SIM. Some do allow you to receive messages/calls on the secondary SIM while you have a primary active, but you have to manually select things to have your data go over it, your typical calls, etc.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

96 Port Hub posted:

You have to-

fishmech posted:

Dual SIM phones usually just make you manually select a SIM to use as the main connection which will be used, and you have to then remember to switch over to check things/use data on the other SIM. Some do allow you to receive messages/calls on the secondary SIM while you have a primary active, but you have to manually select things to have your data go over it, your typical calls, etc.

Hmph.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

fishmech posted:

My moto G5 (and previous dual sim android phones) makes me choose a default data SIM, but I can receive calls on either SIM at any time. For outgoing I can either set a default, or pick as and when I make a call.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For those who may care here's some info on how Android handles dual-SIM in AOSP, though most dual-SIM phones have further OEM customizations on top of that.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-adding-dual-sim-features-dialer-app/

If you've ever used Google Voice in "prompt me" mode it's pretty similar.

I wish dual SIM phones were more of a thing in the US, but since we can't even get the phone vendors to give us a microSD slot half the time another SIM slot which would presumably be disabled on most of the carrier-branded versions is definitely not going to happen any time soon.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Windows Phone (R.I.P., wish I hadn't been forced to abandon you) on dual-SIM phones simply gave you two phone tiles on the start screen, one for each SIM. Seems very straight forward.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

quote:

Do we have iPhone texting software accessible via our PCs?

Now, he doesn't mean iMessage, I'm sure. Is there a non-crap free texting software? I'm assuming not.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WhatsApp

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

No, it still needs to send over sms. We're not letting people set up a parallel communications network when we have skype for business.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey Renegret, can you open a ticket for us?

We didn't tell you this was going on an hour ago because we thought it wasn't customer affecting but it turns out we have dozens of complaints, there was a piece of equipment that was failing and it took down an entire remote site and- wait, where are you going, why are you crawling under your desk

"I'm a groundhog and you just showed me my shadow"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Now, he doesn't mean iMessage, I'm sure. Is there a non-crap free texting software? I'm assuming not.

Most cell phone providers have an e-mail to sms gateway service.

For example, ATT has @txt.att.net and @mms.att.net

Where you could email 1235551234@mms.att.net and the cell phone number would receive the message as a text.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

Where you could email 1235551234@mms.att.net and the cell phone number would receive the message as a text.

important question

if there's someone I don't like, can I sign up someone I don't like to all kinds of stupid mailing lists like the good old days, but use their 1235551234@mms.att.net e-mail and get the spam sent to them via SMS?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Renegret posted:

important question

if there's someone I don't like, can I sign up someone I don't like to all kinds of stupid mailing lists like the good old days, but use their 1235551234@mms.att.net e-mail and get the spam sent to them via SMS?

It depends on the validation behind it, some services don't allow things like that, some do.

In the same general area; I regret every time I enter my actual phone number into things because they refuse to accept g-voice (VOIP) numbers and I actually NEED to have a phone number attached for a reason.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

The Fool posted:

Holy poo poo! That's dangerous knowledge.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Sibling of TB posted:

Yeah Verizon’s is @vtext.com. Or at least it used to be

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

Still is

Sibling of TB posted:

You'd think that, but cell companies have had this service for nearly as long as there have been text messages, and I've never heard of a case of serious abuse.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Farking Bastage posted:

Still is

I actually use it to page our field techs because they respond better to text messages than e-mails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
and by "respond better to texts than e-mails" what I really mean is that we used to use nextels, and our field techs are set in their ways and are super resistant to change.

I actually miss those nextels