Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This thread is cool. I feel like it got lame for a while and I stopped coming here but now it's cool again. Great work all of y'alls (on the art, that is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

a hole-y ghost posted:

what does dual brush do anyway? I'm just getting into doing funny stuff with Photoshop brushes but mostly have just done stuff in shape dynamics and transfer so far

d3c0y2 posted:

What is dual brush? I've been using Krita so I'm not sure what it is/whether krita has a similar function

It just combines two different brushes into one stroke. You can get some pretty cool textures and patters doing that. Example:

I'm not familiar with Krita, so I'm not sure if it has something similar. I'm sure there are a lot of different types of brushes you could make interesting textures with, and there's probably a way to adjust the spacing/shape/texture/etc.

Definitely don't depend on the brush to do the work though. I just like playing with the settings to see how I like the feel of it.

Al! posted:

im def in a goth phase at the moment

It's currently raining outside, and this is perfect.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i made this as an av for a chvrches-obsessed friend but i wanted to post it here because it turned out really well, especially the animation (it was a still image and I added the wink)

this is not my usual style, so any critiques????

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Jake Snake posted:

It just combines two different brushes into one stroke. You can get some pretty cool textures and patters doing that. Example:

I'm not familiar with Krita, so I'm not sure if it has something similar. I'm sure there are a lot of different types of brushes you could make interesting textures with, and there's probably a way to adjust the spacing/shape/texture/etc.

Definitely don't depend on the brush to do the work though. I just like playing with the settings to see how I like the feel of it.

It's currently raining outside, and this is perfect.

Ah fair enough.

I've been sort of staying away from using fancy brushes or brushes that are high blending so I can focus on my fundamentals.

The Hagrid and Gollum pics were both made using a basic flow bush. I've always thought best to experiment with more fancy brushes once I'm actually good enough with my fundamentals.

Plus in real life I'm just about to start a tattoo apprenticeship course, which uses a lot of digital art nowadays. So I'm trying to only really use brushes and techniques that will be useful to that course.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

i made this as an av for a chvrches-obsessed friend but i wanted to post it here because it turned out really well, especially the animation (it was a still image and I added the wink)

Shoot i know youre looking for critiques and not fawning praise but it looks really good to me. I guess the cheek twitch which is the best touch could be a little more subtle so it looks like just a wink and no hint of a facial tic.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Does anyone have any tips for when you seem to hit a creative slump. I really loved that Gollum pic I drew, but since then I can't seem to draw anything that doesn't look awful in my own opinion.

I dunno if I need to take a break from portraits and draw something entirely different, or try a different style. But last two days I've thrown out about four pictures when they were half done because the features seemed slightly out of position, or the proportion slightly wrong, or some other anatomical piece that's impossible to fix by the time I notice.

Even looking back on those last two drawings I feel like the eyes are slightly mismatched.

Maybe I need to practice face construction.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

d3c0y2 posted:

Does anyone have any tips for when you seem to hit a creative slump. I really loved that Gollum pic I drew, but since then I can't seem to draw anything that doesn't look awful in my own opinion.
Do something that will be fun/interesting to you is all, really. Inevitably you'll draw pictures that are better-than-your-average, and this means the next (five? ten? twenty?) things you do will be Not As Good. Don't let it get you down though! That just means you're improving.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

working on that av seems to have really improved my shading game

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

d3c0y2 posted:

I dunno if I need to take a break from portraits and draw something entirely different, or try a different style. But last two days I've thrown out about four pictures when they were half done because the features seemed slightly out of position, or the proportion slightly wrong, or some other anatomical piece that's impossible to fix by the time I notice.

Even looking back on those last two drawings I feel like the eyes are slightly mismatched.

Maybe I need to practice face construction.

When I experience this I might try something totally different, like a totally different subject matter in a different medium. Then again, I might also revisit something from an earlier time and critique myself for ways to improve it, and do a kind of version 2.0 of that work.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
dogs & french fries

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm often very hyper critical of myself. And a period of success often makes me even more critical of future works.

I think I might experiment drawing some cartoonist style drawing. Try and practice my line art a bit!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I need to get caught up with this thread. Here is a sketchbook page from the other day. I participated in Global Game Jam - which was a lot of fun. Five of us made a game in two days.

Here is the game if anyone cares.
Windows version.

Al! posted:

I think it is my favorite of your work so far.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2018

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Sorry it took me so long to get to this. First things first, there's something fucky with your tumblr where up in the righthand corner of the blue-lined black band I can sorta half-see my dashboard and messaging options, and clicking on the "follow" link through the upper left text options does nothing but give me the "there's nothing here" error page. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my browser? I use firefox.

Others already gave good advice, but I didn't notice anyone mention my slight pet peeve with your drawings - that you don't close your lines on outlines of solid objects. That's ok with light, airy, flighty materials, or defining lines inside the outlines, but it makes things look sketchy and not properly defined despite the very strong shapes you've got. Like there's something breaking the outlines. This might be just my personal preference, I get Opinions about lineart.

You obviously enjoy drawing people, so as a suggestion, I'd really like to see you draw different body types. And I don't just mean "draw more fatties", it would be good to see you draw really long, lanky characters, buff or scrawny characters, old or male etc. Vary the proportions a bit. Most of your drawings feature average female bodies.

Well, same from my side. I tried to wait until I had something done, but it just doesn't seem to be happening right now, as exams are taking up almost all of my time. As for the Tumblr issues -- they must have changed how their overlay works at some point, and changed the URL used to follow someone. I fixed the overlapping and removed the link, since that should still be available through the overlay. I hope that works for you now.

Now that you mention it, I'm not entirely sure I have a concrete reason for doing that with the lines. It might have been a remainder from an earlier iteration of the style.

I'll try to keep all the advice I've gotten in mind once I got the time to draw again after the exams, which should be soon (hoorah!)

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 30, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

d3c0y2 posted:

Really the only advice I have for creative slumps is to force yourself to work and accept that not everything's gonna be a masterpiece. Your frustration will drive you forward. I used to get hung up on having to make every finished piece the best one ever, because that's all you see from professional artists usually - their best stuff. But everyone gets stuck every now and then and it's ok if some days you kick it out of the park, and some days .. well, look at mine today.

Yeah. Yesterday's was even worse. It is what it is, but at least I did something today, so I'm happy about that. Shrug and move on, the worst part of a slump is that after a while it will be more and more difficult to pick up the pen again.

Al! posted:

working on that av seems to have really improved my shading game

I really like the dark mood of this one, got a nice sense of foreboding. In fact most of your sceneries got such a strong visual language for "other world" and they seem to spell out little stories in themselves. That's what makes them fun to look at.

Neon Noodle posted:

dogs & french fries

YES dogs enjoying eating! I love this because irl fries are very bad for dogs but a painting is a-ok. Wanna pet them heads!

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I dunno why but i like this a lot. Not quite realistic but it's eye-catching.

Some recent life drawing, in a slump lately, it's ok

Drawing from a photograph

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I dunno why but i like this a lot. Not quite realistic but it's eye-catching.

Some recent life drawing, in a slump lately, it's ok

Thank you. I always consider portraiture a capturing of essence rather than recording realism.

Remember that working through slumps is what makes good artists.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i did this cool wrench lady instead of watching the sotu

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

i did this cool wrench lady instead of watching the sotu

This is very cool, Willa the Wrench Woman. (wench?)
Also I saw your winking lady avatar in place and it looked great.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Spinster posted:

This is very cool, Willa the Wrench Woman. (wench?)
Also I saw your winking lady avatar in place and it looked great.

thanks :blush: i actually have a plan to do some more tricky animation with the av

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I drew some plants again.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i love those plants

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I got behind on drawings recently but I finally got caught up yesterday, here's the last few things I drew!

I wonder if it's at all obvious what the common element is to my daily drawings.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

ARGH yes I was supposed to comment on this because I freaking love the controlled derp you got here, it makes it such an interesting portrait.

I love how the teeth are obviously seeds, that's so clever :3:

dogs dogs dogs doGS DOGS DOGS DOGS DOGS DOGS aaaAAAAaaaAAAAaa! :supaburn:
Like I'm physically incapable of hatin' on any art of animals, we all know, but these are still such good dogs! I especially love this Very Professional fluffbutt.

Hey guess what's the right time to do a hand study?

The answer is every time, all the time.
I hadn't done one in ages.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Crayon it’s been loving amazing to watch your painting progress. :yeah:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

There's been some great stuff posted lately.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Hey guess what's the right time to do a hand study?

The answer is every time, all the time.
I hadn't done one in ages.

Coincidentally after wracking my brains over what to do to mix it up I decided on drawing a hand.

I've never drawn a hand before in my life, so this was my first attempt after a quick google of hand anatomy and a youtube video tutorial. Once again though I think I'm the sort of person who learns from doing reiterations of similar drawings while receiving criticism.

I already know I've made the thumb sort of the wrong shape. And it turns out palms are loving horrible because its all gradiants of shape with no clarity.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I had never drawn hands before and I needed to for a thread. I was looking at other drawings online before I remembered I have two :doh: but while doing that I kept coming across references to how hard they are to draw.

I disagree in a way, it's not hands, it's thumbs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

smallmouth posted:

This is so wonderful- especially the eye, the light illuminating the iris, the protuberant lips are a success [remember what Sargent said, "A portrait is something wrong with the mouth") and the earring is perfection. I'm splurging too often over these pieces but it seems weird not to say anything---Ill try to slow down.

I'm going to remember this pic, many others, and all of Sharpest Crayon's eyes for reference.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I'm starting to figure out how to properly convey wagging tails.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/959163689596280832

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Is kitty today. My artistic process: See blurry kitty pic -->>> Must draw kitty.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

smallmouth posted:

Yeah to continue the previous compliments; but your style is honestly one of the favourite digital styles Ive seen. I once read someone say that a true artist can choose what pieces of reality are important to preserve and what can be chucked away.

By that definition you're a phenomenal artist, because this is loving masterclass in that.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

d3c0y2 posted:

Yeah to continue the previous compliments; but your style is honestly one of the favourite digital styles Ive seen. I once read someone say that a true artist can choose what pieces of reality are important to preserve and what can be chucked away.

By that definition you're a phenomenal artist, because this is loving masterclass in that.

Aw, thanks!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I still don't know how to go about doing outlines in a way that I like.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/959550797074845698

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Neon Noodle posted:

Crayon it’s been loving amazing to watch your painting progress. :yeah:

Thank you for this. It really helps to hear that.

I found this handy chart (as a reblog on Coelasquid's tumblr) to explain art slumps that might help others!

I'm still gonna celebrate the gently caress out of my successes though.

d3c0y2 posted:

I've never drawn a hand before in my life, so this was my first attempt after a quick google of hand anatomy and a youtube video tutorial. Once again though I think I'm the sort of person who learns from doing reiterations of similar drawings while receiving criticism.

I already know I've made the thumb sort of the wrong shape. And it turns out palms are loving horrible because its all gradiants of shape with no clarity.

The palm gradients would be easier to handle with a lot bigger brush size to get the area smoother before you go in with the line detail.
Are the hands tutorials about how this particular person constructs an imaginary hand and which details they pick out? This is one of those cases where it's really good to keep checking your own hand. It's right there. Look at that sucker. Try to understand what's going on under the skin, move your fingers and thumb about, use it as reference. I strike poses with my hands every now and then when I need to figure out wtf I'm doing with a hand I'm drawing, because it seems like there's this demon that every now and then sucks out all the memory of what a hand is supposed to look like straight from your brain and you gotta refresh a bit.
Better yet, get a good light source or go under your living room lights or something and take some reference pics with strong shadows for easy access (makes it easier to define shapes so you won't end up with just subtle shades of grey). Use a mirror if you need an angle you can't normally see.

Spinster posted:

I disagree in a way, it's not hands, it's thumbs.

loving laffo, but also you're right, it actually helps if you think of the thumb as a separate entity. Like there's this rake-thing that you take and craft some sorta bulb on, but at the end of the bulb is a finger going the wrong way.

Double-laffo at the slorping little spidermonster. Goddamn it's so cute :3:

my buddy Superfly posted:

I still don't know how to go about doing outlines in a way that I like.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/959550797074845698

You could try a brush that lets you vary line weight .. a lot! Or if that's not your thing, doing your darkest shadows with the lineart, or even just adding little shadows in places where a plate goes over another plate might help.
Also don't scoff at trying an angled "calligraphy" brush for your lineart, that in itself adds variation to line weight.
If you're not sure when and where to thicken your lines and where to keep them thin, a good rule of thumb is thickening the lines where a shadow would fall (under chins, under feet, under armour plate) or where you want a strong definition (outlines, torso lines, stuff that's In Front of Other Stuff, Heavy Things, clothes if you got a lot of lines that might muddy where one bit ends and another begins).
Keep your lines thin for airy materials, defining lines inside a shape and light shading.

Ok I could keep going forever about lines, here's my fave mushroom

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

that chart actually makes me feel kinda worse because basically when im really proud of something it's only because i don't yet recognize how bad it sucks lol.

i honestly don't tend to get art blocks because when i'm super depressed i tend to channel my negative feelings into my drawings because its my hobby more than my calling

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
One problem I have with drawing is my brain ends up committing the entire work to memory even when it's just a practice sketch of a still life or a figure. How do I avoid this? Do I just need to draw more so my brain doesn't think what I'm doing is special? Or go faster and looser so I don't even have time to fuckin engrave it on my mind?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I really enjoy doing drawings with limited colors and I want to think of more ways to go about doing that.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/959862206832762881

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry