Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Why do text messages for security reasons not work 75% of the time? Like when a company wants to verify it's you and sends a text message to your phone, it never works. Is that a t-mobile thing or does it not work for anyone? I get normal text messages just fine. It's been a problem as long as I've been with TM, so 10 years across many different phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can't say I've had that problem often enough to remember it. Every time I've been sent a text with a security code in it that I can remember, I've received.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wormil posted:

Why do text messages for security reasons not work 75% of the time? Like when a company wants to verify it's you and sends a text message to your phone, it never works. Is that a t-mobile thing or does it not work for anyone? I get normal text messages just fine. It's been a problem as long as I've been with TM, so 10 years across many different phones.

I had problems with it on AT&T but not T-Mobile now

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I have problems sometimes on wifi calling, but not when on a cell tower.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wormil posted:

Ask tforce. Prob an account block

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Don Lapre posted:

Ask tforce. Prob an account block

Account block for what? Is there a setting for block most but not all security related texts?

I assume t force is customer service.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

wormil posted:

Mine works on the normal phone, but doesn't work on their digits web app. I'd definitely give them a call.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'd rather deal with it than deal with customer service. Every time I have to contact TM it takes multiple calls and most of a day and I end up angry and even more bitter toward the company.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wormil posted:

Account block for what? Is there a setting for block most but not all security related texts?

I assume t force is customer service.

It's how the texts are sent. Tforce is TMobile help on Twitter

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Edit; nm, I googled the problem and apparently it's because short codes are disabled although I asked for them to enabled about 6 months ago. So frustrating.
2nd edit; it only took 2 phone calls. I'm seriously ecstatic. Now to wait and see if it works.

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 12, 2018

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My wife bought a Samsung J7 Prime off Amazon, only to find it's not compatible with the US LTE bands (despite the description on the Amazon page). It's getting sent back tomorrow, can anyone recommend a similar Android phone in the ~$250 range for use on T-Mobile?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Toebone posted:

My wife bought a Samsung J7 Prime off Amazon, only to find it's not compatible with the US LTE bands (despite the description on the Amazon page). It's getting sent back tomorrow, can anyone recommend a similar Android phone in the ~$250 range for use on T-Mobile?

Moto G5+ and spring for the 64gb model.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I’m an idiot and decided I actually want to keep the data plan for my watch. Except T-Mobile hosed up actually adding it to my plan and instead decided to just manually add 2 month’s worth of it on this upcoming bill since I wasn’t billed for it last month. By adding it manually, the autopay discount doesn’t kick in so I had to call in and find out why the gently caress my bill was $30 higher.

I got it adjusted in no time but still.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I’m an idiot and decided I actually want to keep the data plan for my watch. Except T-Mobile hosed up actually adding it to my plan and instead decided to just manually add 2 month’s worth of it on this upcoming bill since I wasn’t billed for it last month. By adding it manually, the autopay discount doesn’t kick in so I had to call in and find out why the gently caress my bill was $30 higher.

I got it adjusted in no time but still.

I've found T-Mobile is pretty good about honoring promotions, even when you weren't really eligible.

I was told my the sales rep that I could get a $500 rebate on an LG V30. Got a call a month later, "That was a BOGO offer."

They credited me $400 because I was told otherwise.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
I currently have 2 lines with Tmobile on a simple choice promo plan. It is 100 bucks for unlimited talk, text and data.

I want to add my wife to my plan. Tmobile is saying the best deal now is $20 to add her to our plan plus a BOGO. She currently has a new phone, so doesn't need a newer one.

Anyone with Tmobile know of a better deal or have suggestions for what to do with the BOGO?

I have a few old cell phones, so I suppose we could send one of those in and sell the other ones.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I’m looking to switch my parents from Sprint to my T-Mobile account. I believe T-Mobile will pay off your financed phone up to $650 per line. Is there any reason NOT to get brand new phones on their Sprint lines before I switch to T-Mobile? Couldn’t I get two nice phones and just have T-Mobile give me $650 towards each of them?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Does that offer require that you finance phones on T-Mobile?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

nimper posted:

Does that offer require that you finance phones on T-Mobile?

It does. But I could just get their cheapest phone which is like $5 a month.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Does it also require that you trade in the Sprint phones?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

nimper posted:

Does it also require that you trade in the Sprint phones?

Doesn’t look like it. Qualifying service, port in, and finance agreement.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

FYI T-Mobile is currently running the add a 3rd line and get a 4th line free promo

It can be combined with other promos as well. Just got off the phone with a rep. Added two lines with one being free, did the bogo Galaxy s8’s with trade in and port in, and they will also be sending me a gift card to pay off the leased phone from sprint that is being ported in.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 12, 2018

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
So I live way out in the boondocks and the only options I have for internet are cellular, satellite, and point-to-point wifi.

Anyone have any experience using T-Mobile hotspots? I am a current T-Mobile user and get pretty good coverage out here. We do a lot of streaming and and gaming - would adding an unlimited data hotspot a) be possible and b) be sufficient?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

In theory you'd be targeted for throttling as their and most companies throttling policies are per cellphone tower (even if they say starting over 25gb they loophole in tower demands). This isn't a problem in high density area as you'd hop to another one quickly as you got further away, but could be a thing with sparse towers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EDIT: Nevermind, the problem somehow fixed itself.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 17, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Target has T-Mobile refills at 10% off, no tax, and it stacks with the Red Card discount for a total of 15% below face. This is basically the lowest they get, so I just paid for a year.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11304415-10-off-prepaid-phone-refill-cards-t-mobile-at-t-verizon-and-tracfone-email-delivery

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

eddiewalker posted:

Target has T-Mobile refills at 10% off, no tax, and it stacks with the Red Card discount for a total of 15% below face. This is basically the lowest they get, so I just paid for a year.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11304415-10-off-prepaid-phone-refill-cards-t-mobile-at-t-verizon-and-tracfone-email-delivery

Can a bunch of these be purchased, and applied to post-paid accounts?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My company has a thing with tmo for One Advantage for the same price as One. Plus $100 card for each line I move. It sounds like I have to do this over the phone, but I'm not thrilled about giving ssn over the phone. Anyone know if I can go into a store with the same company code and get the same deal?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Just switched to t-mo from sprint tonight. How bad of a decision was this?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

e.pilot posted:

Matters where you are but T-Mobile coverage is usually better than Sprint.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I've had that old T-Mobile nerd plan forever, and now I'm hitting my data caps incredibly early the last few cycles. I checked my account, and now I'm on a similar $30 plan with unlimited texts, but it doesn't say anything about the music freedom feature, and I'm pretty sure my music streaming is now counting on my data cap. Anybody else had this issue?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Depends on where you live. In metro Detroit sprint was almost unusable for me, but T-Mobile is ridiculously good.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Depends on where you live. In metro Detroit sprint was almost unusable for me, but T-Mobile is ridiculously good.

I travel for work so I essentially live everywhere.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Does any informed consumer still use Sprint outside of Project Fi and SERO lifers?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Godzilla07 posted:

Does any informed consumer still use Sprint outside of Project Fi and SERO lifers?

I was on a dealer plan with them that up until a couple of months ago was only $27/mo after taxes. They recently raised it $10 which combined with my wife's normal line with them ended up being a wash cost wise with t-mo's plans.

That was all the excuse I needed to drop them with the quickness. I look forward to never regularly seeing 2mbit download speeds over LTE again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

Paging a 3 paragraph defense of sprint from EdEdandEddy (sorry if I got your username wrong).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Godzilla07 posted:

I'm on Project Fi and I can count the number of times I've been on a Sprint tower on one hand.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody know why my phone keeps asking for the login to passpoint secure wifi? I thought connecting to those was supposed to happen automatically.

Or does anyone know what the username/password for it would be?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Looks like my company is eligible for the T-Mobile Amplified program. Has anyone else tried that yet?

Unlimited 4g, 10gb Hotspot 4g, Unlimited HD streaming, Unlimited GoGo WiFi, 256kbps International (2x), NameID, Voice to Text and Digits included.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I have that as my normal plan, it’s nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Setting up a business account with TMo. Requested a W9 to set them up as a vendor in our accounting system.

They can only provide me a W9 via snail mail. No PDF, no email, no download, just snail mail.

Seems like that's a bit of an oversight. But this complaint is only being read by goons, so nothing will come of it. :P