Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon doesn't have much DV content, most is HDR10, so external device is fine. All of Netflix's HDR content is both DV and HDR10 and DV will yield a better picture for the TV, so built in app is preferred. YouTube is HLG, so external is just fine.

Edit: I don't know why I said Amazon earlier, I meant Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You been sitting on this purchase for a MINUTE my dude.

Should be in Iowa where the cost of living is low low low.

*sigh* I hear you.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Set picture mode as ISF Expert dark or bright room

dynamic contrast low
noise reduction off
mpeg noise reduction off
black level auto
real cinema on
motion eye care off
True motion user (de judder to 0, de-blur to 10)
Energy saving to off

Only picture setting (like brightness, contrast, color, etc) you should touch is oled light. adjust it up or down to brighten or dim the screen to taste.

Does the black level auto setting only appear if you turn on dynamic contrast? I only have low/high. Also why de-blur to 10 out of curiosity?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Gunslinger posted:

Does the black level auto setting only appear if you turn on dynamic contrast? I only have low/high. Also why de-blur to 10 out of curiosity?

If you dont have an auto black level setting set it to low and your devices to rgb low, or normal. Most devices will default to this setting anyway.

Deblur seems to help motion resolution without giving you soap opera effect.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Roundboy posted:

Same boat. FedEx just dropped off my lg oled. Didn't even calibrate or change any settings yet and it's awesome. The viewing angles are insane too

I see these recommended pretty often for the B7 series, the guys at AVS Forums generally know what they're doing:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2853954-lg-2017-oled-calibration-thread-settings-22.html#post54906032

nag83
Feb 2, 2003

It looks like the Samsung 65" MU6290 is available at Target for ~$725 after Cartwheel and Redcard. Is it worth it at that price? It'll be used pretty much exclusively for movies and TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

nag83 posted:

It looks like the Samsung 65" MU6290 is available at Target for ~$725 after Cartwheel and Redcard. Is it worth it at that price? It'll be used pretty much exclusively for movies and TV.

Is there a TCL or Vizio thats comparable at that price? If so buy those.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don Lapre posted:

Deblur seems to help motion resolution without giving you soap opera effect.

Even with just deblur enabled I still seem some nastiness (even at 1). I think it’s one of those settings that’s gonna be down to the person setting it as to whether they like it or not.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

*sigh* I hear you.

I got mine in 2010 and I swear it’s on twelve hours a day and it’s still going strong.

Problem is when it dies I will need a new receiver with audio return on hdmi and (please tell me I’m wrong) fish a new cable through the walls.

I’m not looking forward to any of that, and what I have works so...

(I really want a whole new setup)

nag83
Feb 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Is there a TCL or Vizio thats comparable at that price? If so buy those.

Looks like there's a Vizio E65 for $750. I'll take a look at that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I got mine in 2010 and I swear it’s on twelve hours a day and it’s still going strong.

Problem is when it dies I will need a new receiver with audio return on hdmi and (please tell me I’m wrong) fish a new cable through the walls.

I’m not looking forward to any of that, and what I have works so...

(I really want a whole new setup)

I needed new HDMI cables for 4k devices connecting to my new 4k receiver.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i learned my xbone can output 4k. i keep staying up too late at night playing fallout because its like i'm in the wasteland

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Careful Drums posted:

i learned my xbone can output 4k. i keep staying up too late at night playing fallout because its like i'm in the wasteland

Unless you have a One X and the 4K patch then it’s just upscaled... and even with a One X and the 4K patch it’s playing at a dynamic resolution that’s probably under true 4K a lot of the time. Fallout is good regardless so don’t feel bad about staying up too late.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a decent HDMI splitter I should look for? I need an extra port or two for a RetroPi and a SteamLink. I don't care if it auto switches or anything cause both of those stay on all the time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a decent HDMI splitter I should look for? I need an extra port or two for a RetroPi and a SteamLink. I don't care if it auto switches or anything cause both of those stay on all the time.

Unless you need 4k hdr poo poo just buy a cheap one on amazon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Check Monoprice, too. They've got a $5 off $25 coupon for Super Bowl weekend which might help.

Zylon
Sep 21, 2003
Ebay has the LG OLED B7 55" and 65" on sale, $1349 and $1999, respectively. It's a shame I already bought the 55" on amazon and they wont price match or anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Call beach and ask for the $2050 c7p to see if they still will do it. $50 is worth it for a black bezel.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This means 2018s are coming soon right?

Edit: Also, what universal remotes is everyone using? I'm trying to figure out what to control a TV/receiver/AppleTV.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 3, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Harmony hub

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

Been looking to replace my current TV with a new 4k one. From reading the thread a bit, looks like Sony XBR49X900E 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model) would be the one to get. But is there anything else coming out soon at the 49-inch size in the price range (currently $898 on Amazon)? The TV will be used for watching Sports and movies with occasional PC gaming. I already have a Roku 4k and a Apple TV 4k so something with built in apps isn't really necessary. Thanks for any advice on this!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Via Brad's Deals, PC Richard and Sons has the 55" X900E for $999:

https://www.pcrichard.com/Sony/Sony-X900E-Series-55inch-LED-Ultra-HD-4K-Google-Android-Smart-TV-with-HDR/XBR55X900E.pcrp

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

jimtech posted:

Been looking to replace my current TV with a new 4k one. From reading the thread a bit, looks like Sony XBR49X900E 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model) would be the one to get. But is there anything else coming out soon at the 49-inch size in the price range (currently $898 on Amazon)? The TV will be used for watching Sports and movies with occasional PC gaming. I already have a Roku 4k and a Apple TV 4k so something with built in apps isn't really necessary. Thanks for any advice on this!

Every TV has built in apps now, you just have to ignore them.

Sony has announced an X900F for 2018. The new feature is an improved picture/motion processing chip. It's possible when it comes out the remaining stock of X900E will be clearanced out? But the risk you take is that the stock is all gone before they feel the need to cut the price.

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

Rastor posted:

Every TV has built in apps now, you just have to ignore them.

Sony has announced an X900F for 2018. The new feature is an improved picture/motion processing chip. It's possible when it comes out the remaining stock of X900E will be clearanced out? But the risk you take is that the stock is all gone before they feel the need to cut the price.

Since this is something that I will need soon, going to go ahead with the purchase. Now to go through the mess of finding a new stereo receiver to use as my current Onkyo doesn't support 4k. I think this will be a tougher task then deciding on the TV!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
As the owner of a 930E I'm a bit miffed at not getting the new motion compensation chip, and I think the 900F is getting the X1 Extreme processor the 930E got, but hey, it's 'miffed,' not :mad:.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The LG E7P is on massdrop for $1,699.99 with free shipping at the moment. Add 900$ for the 65 inch version.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think it's $2300 on ebay right now as well. 2018s must be coming soon.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Do we know what the 2018s will cost?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably $3800 and $2600 respectively, same as always.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Gonna get the 900F in 75"85" for my World Cup viewing party. What can I expect to pay?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to guess $6500.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Remember if you have a Citi Double Cash card, they have their own price match up to $500.

I got a 65" B7 on Black Friday for $2100, and got them to price match one of those bullshit bait-and-switch sites on the Google Shopping tab who advertises the TV for $1600 (I think it was TVsuperstores.com or something). Plenty on Slick Deals have all pulled it off without a hitch too, you just get a nice $500 back on your card.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone know if buydig still selling the C7 for $2050? I'm trying to decide but may have already missed it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone know if buydig still selling the C7 for $2050? I'm trying to decide but may have already missed it.

Call them and ask

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do you shitlords think of the X850D? I'm skeptical of smart features as the ones on every TV I've ever used are complete garbage but man the built in android is really nice.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The X900E is only $100 more at 55" and a much better TV.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wouldn't go under 65" and theres currently an $800 difference in Canada. I'm just kicking tires anyway I gotta get my bills paid, son

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
What's a good TV in the 400$ range? Looking for something to go in the living room of my apt, nothing crazy.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Don’t buy the 850D. It’s an IPS panel and is unwatchable in anything other than broad daylight due to the abysmal black levels. It’s the TV that convinced me to splash out on an OLED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
My C7 arrived, keeping in mind this is my first 4K set, but goddamn. I'm going to have to get used to the black transitions, the TV looks like it's off for a split second.

Setup wasn't all that intuitive but I worked through it. Only issue so far is 5.1 audio stutter through the LG built in apps, believe it's an ARC issue. Internal speaker plays it fine, but not so much through my Denon X1300. Hoping running an optical cable will resolve the issue.

edit: removed the bit about my HDMI cable, that very well might be the issue based on some newegg reviews

homeless fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 6, 2018