Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Before I jump in
-Is it going to be hell to use both an nVidia card and AMD card at same time? Or are the drivers/X11 smart enough to keep them separate but working together? Had to find very specific AMD drivers just for Windows to work right
-Did they fix sound mixing (applications taking sole control of sound device, there were layers and software solutions/wrappers to try to fix this but lots of compatibility issues between them all)

jaegerx posted:

Fedora is probably the best desktop now.
The problem I have with polished desktops is that I inevitably run into something that doesn't work right. Then I am digging and before you know it I find some code fix by some guy in the back corner of the google groups and need to make/compile it myself, but then I need certain libraries at certain versions that the package manager doesn't want to use because they're incompatible with some other poo poo. I end up tweaking for a couple hours, get everything working right, but then at that point I might as well be using an OS designed to let me tweak and customize it to begin with. I don't mind it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

Fedora is probably the best desktop now.

for me to poop on!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to set up ssl on my website with the caveat that I want a different ssl certificate for a specific subdomain. So, I'd like example.com and www.example.com to use the same certificate, while test.example.com uses one specific to that subdomain. I'm going to be requesting these from Let's Encrypt and I was a bit confused about the part where I generate an account.key. As I understand it, this account key represents something like a user account at Let's Encrypt, so it makes sense to me that I only want one account.key that's shared between these two certificates. I'll generate two domain keys: example.com.key and test.example.com.key. Is this correct or should I be using two different account keys?

At the moment I've used just a single account key, and ssllabs is giving me weird results:

For example.com:

For test.example.com:

Both server configurations are completely identical so I'm not sure why one score is higher than the other.

Furthermore, the test results for test.example.com (the one that scored higher) also shows this:

It's complaining about mismatch because "certificate #2" is actually the certificate for the main site, which shouldn't even be offered to test.example.com. How do I disable this behavior? When I type "nginx -V" it tells me that SNI is supported.

If I manually visit test.example.com and click on the little lock icon it does tell me that the certificate is for test.example.com and that it's valid though.

Here's the relevant conf for the domains:

code:
server {
    listen      443 ssl http2 default_server;
    server_name example.com [url]www.example.com;[/url]

ssl_certificate     /config/example.com-letsencrypt.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key /config/example.com.key;

}

server {
    listen      443 ssl http2;
    server_name test.example.com;

ssl_certificate     /config/test.example.com-letsencrypt.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key /config/test.example.com.key;

}

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Alpha Mayo posted:

The problem I have with polished desktops is that I inevitably run into something that doesn't work right. Then I am digging and before you know it I find some code fix by some guy in the back corner of the google groups and need to make/compile it myself, but then I need certain libraries at certain versions that the package manager doesn't want to use because they're incompatible with some other poo poo. I end up tweaking for a couple hours, get everything working right, but then at that point I might as well be using an OS designed to let me tweak and customize it to begin with. I don't mind it at all.
con-tai-ner

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently switched from Ubuntu to Mint, and now my laptop doesn't hibernate. Whether I use the menu or just shut the lid, I'll come back and it boots up, with nothing I had open open. How can I fix this?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

hooah posted:

I recently switched from Ubuntu to Mint, and now my laptop doesn't hibernate. Whether I use the menu or just shut the lid, I'll come back and it boots up, with nothing I had open open. How can I fix this?
Do you have nvidia graphics hardware and have you installed restricted drivers?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

peepsalot posted:

Do you have nvidia graphics hardware and have you installed restricted drivers?

It's got an Intel HD Graphics 4400.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I don’t have a leg to stand on. I’ve been a Mac guy for over 10 years now since iBook 4. I just run Linux servers.

I just can’t get into a Linux desktop. My last one was openbox. If I went back I’d probably run i3m

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been an admin for linux servers for 20 years now and I hate having a linux desktop. It's all poo poo, from the big desktop environments all the way down to the one man window managers with some off the wall manifesto.

OSX or Windows aren't great either, but at least I don't have to fuss with drivers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've got another question this time about the file sshd_config.

In my Fedora box the default is figured with the following line:
code:
Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
In Debian:
code:
Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
I'd like to have a single sshd_config file that all my machines can use without modification. Is this line really needed and/or how can I ensure compatibility? Just symlink one path to the other and hope I remember to make these symlinks when I deploy a new machine? Include both lines (with one pointing to a nonexisting directory)? Is there some kind of if/else clause I can use in these files?

e: Now that I think about it, I have never in my life used the command "sftp ..." anything in my life that I can remember. If I ever needed to copy files over I always just use scp. Do I even need this line in my configuration?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 28, 2018

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you're probably stuck using sed/awk/perl. check for /etc/fedora-release or the debian equivalent, search and set the options and add the missing stuff at the end. it looks like there's a dormant pr for adding an include directive like ssh_config already has, but it's not implemented yet.

Mellifluenza
Jan 8, 2018
Why does tailing the last n lines of a file and then tee'ing them back to the same file sometimes work and sometimes result in a null file?

quote:

tail -n20 /home/me/logfile.log | tee /home/me/logfile.log

Sometimes ends up with the last 20 lines in logfile.log and sometimes 0 lines.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Funny you asked that, there was an in-depth article published recently that explains it: https://anniecherkaev.com/grep-your-way-to-freedom

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What's the preferred solution for a shared drive between Linux and Windows? Do not want to use FAT32 because of the 4GB limit.
Which leaves NTFS, exFAT, or possibly ext4 driver for Windows (Maybe this? http://www.ext2fsd.com )

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm pretty sure that going with NTFS is easier. Just make sure Windows shuts down fully (no hibernation or that fast boot thing in Windows 10) or the drive will be locked in Linux.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alpha Mayo posted:

What's the preferred solution for a shared drive between Linux and Windows? Do not want to use FAT32 because of the 4GB limit.
Which leaves NTFS, exFAT, or possibly ext4 driver for Windows (Maybe this? http://www.ext2fsd.com )
Are you talking about like a thumb drive or a disk on a dual-boot computer, or is there any reason you can't use SMB/NFS or SFTP/SCP?

Mellifluenza
Jan 8, 2018
SMB share on Linux FTW.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Well I guess I can't use Linux after all. Everything smooth setting up Arch Linux until i got to setting up Xorg. Glamor is not compatible with my GPU (7870 Tahiti Edition, a really bizarre card that is basically what a Radeon 7930 would have been). Did a lot of digging and it's just a known bug for 6 years that will probably never be fixed. Weston doesn't work either.

I might try flashing a modified Radeon 7950 Bios on it just to see what happens, though I can imagine the 2GB vs 3GB issue could be a problem. I'm pretty comfortable with modding AMD Atom bios so maybe I'll have some luck.

Also turns out my mobo has incomplete Efi hand off for UEFI video cards so I had to rip out the Uefi out of the GPU bios just to get it to boot with efi preferred enabled in mobo bios. loving Asus.

Oh and my windows partition won't boot anymore after converting from mbr to gpt, turns out there's more work than that involved for EFI Win10

And also all the cmos clears I've had to do over past couple days corrupted the Intel management engine in my Bios, unfixable with simple bios reflash. Basically meant disabled overclocking, disabled igpu, and even disabled all but 8 gigs of ram. Intel ME is what says "oh you have a 2500K sku, let me unlock your multiplier and enable the GPU and other basic features like Turbo". Not something you want in a dysfunctional state. I had to patch together a new bios with same config with Intel firmware maker tool but replaced Intel ME image from known good image binary, then use Intel FPT to full erase and full rewrite the recreated flash image to the chip. Fixed it though and all the advice I saw before was saying I'd have to buy a new bios chip for my mobo off ebay. :colbert:

This is what linux does to me. That and because I want to use UEFI for everything instead of legacy because it will shave like 3 loving seconds off the boot time, even though my mobo has halfassed UEFI implementation that wants to fight me all the way.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I've got a simple question. Or at least it should be.
I know many, many years ago I used to have a setup where I had an HTTP server running on the PC which I also saved my files. The HTTP server could display the files in directories. I'm pretty sure it was a little less harsh than a plain old Apache directory listing.

Really all I want to do is have access to my eBooks and some other things on my network via web based directory listings, but a little customizable. I've got a dedicated SBC server running Armbian that I use these days.

The main reason for wanting the listings is so the rest of my family can have easy access to things especially on mobile devices at home rather than screwing with NFS and SMB.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Alpha Mayo posted:

This is what linux does to me. That and because I want to use UEFI for everything instead of legacy because it will shave like 3 loving seconds off the boot time, even though my mobo has halfassed UEFI implementation that wants to fight me all the way.

In theory, UEFI is like the second coming and is perfectly deserving of the praise. In practice, if a MB manufacturer hosed up the old BIOS, it can and will gently caress up the UEFI. Yes, there's one unified interface and 100 billion implementations in which the same function call will do 100 billion different things, one of which is what you want. But at least we got a pretty mouse-driven motherboard UI.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

General_Failure posted:

I know many, many years ago I used to have a setup where I had an HTTP server running on the PC which I also saved my files. The HTTP server could display the files in directories. I'm pretty sure it was a little less harsh than a plain old Apache directory listing.

Really all I want to do is have access to my eBooks and some other things on my network via web based directory listings, but a little customizable. I've got a dedicated SBC server running Armbian that I use these days.

The main reason for wanting the listings is so the rest of my family can have easy access to things especially on mobile devices at home rather than screwing with NFS and SMB.

python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080 in the directory you want to share?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

General_Failure posted:

Couldn't you use something like Dropbox or Google Cloud rather than worrying about hardening an internet-facing server on a residential connection?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Volguus posted:

In theory, UEFI is like the second coming and is perfectly deserving of the praise. In practice, if a MB manufacturer hosed up the old BIOS, it can and will gently caress up the UEFI. Yes, there's one unified interface and 100 billion implementations in which the same function call will do 100 billion different things, one of which is what you want. But at least we got a pretty mouse-driven motherboard UI.

It's definitely cool and makes it feel like the BIOS is hooking directly into doing something useful instead of being a giant Rube Goldberg machine that decades of clever engineers and duct tape engineers working around various hardware limitations has gotten us to.

In practice though, my computer was working just fine in legacy/mbr.

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 30, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

General_Failure posted:

calibre has a built in http server, or at least used to, if all you want is ebooks. I wouldn't make it accessible from the internet tho.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

calibre has a built in http server, or at least used to, if all you want is ebooks. I wouldn't make it accessible from the internet tho.

This addresses the other replies too. Re-reading it I can see I was a little unclear. It's only accessible on the home network. Using cloud based solutions would suck hairy balls. #1. I'm Australian, and have Australian Internet access. #2 Need something easy for other family members to get to. Preferably in a read only manner.

jaegerx posted:

python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080 in the directory you want to share?

Huh. Just looked that up. That's extremely simple. Maybe too simple? Although it has no way out, is there something with a configurable netmask? It's just I have at least that for NFS, SMB DLNA etc.
I'll have to remember that for when I need quick and dirty access to files via uncooperative devices on the network though.

RFC2324 posted:

I use Calibre. I didn't realise it did that. It looks like there is, or at least was a headless server option. I found an article on setting up a Pi 3 with it, so I guess there's source, or an ARM binary. I'm using an Orange Pi Zero.Looks like there's a package in the repo. Shame it needs to install the front end. 212MB. Most of it for the GUI. Got it installing. I'll post results.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

This addresses the other replies too. Re-reading it I can see I was a little unclear. It's only accessible on the home network. Using cloud based solutions would suck hairy balls. #1. I'm Australian, and have Australian Internet access. #2 Need something easy for other family members to get to. Preferably in a read only manner.

Huh. Just looked that up. That's extremely simple. Maybe too simple? Although it has no way out, is there something with a configurable netmask? It's just I have at least that for NFS, SMB DLNA etc.
I'll have to remember that for when I need quick and dirty access to files via uncooperative devices on the network though.

I use Calibre. I didn't realise it did that. It looks like there is, or at least was a headless server option. I found an article on setting up a Pi 3 with it, so I guess there's source, or an ARM binary. I'm using an Orange Pi Zero.Looks like there's a package in the repo. Shame it needs to install the front end. 212MB. Most of it for the GUI. Got it installing. I'll post results.

I use an nginx reverse proxy with user/pass auth to serve Calibre to the outside. The Calibre web server is really nice (can download or read in the browser, very pretty, good search), but yeah, it should not be directly on the web.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So I did a “dnf upgrade” on my ThinkPad running Fedora and after rebooting i couldn’t login anymore. The login screen shows up, but logging in immediately crashes and exits me back to the login screen. I thought maybe I had something wrong in my dotfiles because I just updated them so I just removed them but no dice.

Turns out a gnome plugin broke in this upgrade (it was working fine before) and it causes some usb devices, namely iPhones, to cause gnome to crash.

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/116678/gnome-logout-crash-after-plugging-in-any-usb-device/

Year of the Linux desktops

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Does anyone have experience with video editing software on linux? I want to make youtubes, and I have not tried anything yet. Looking for recommendations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Any other ideas?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

peepsalot posted:

Does anyone have experience with video editing software on linux? I want to make youtubes, and I have not tried anything yet. Looking for recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijWcl2Rb4_0

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

This whole video is just waffling about the diferences between distros and how much he likes the console but i gues they do mention the name of kdenlive at the beginning, so I'll try that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did Cinelerra ever stop sucking? It's been years since I tried it and last time it was a massive chore to get running.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

This is like a drug psa, but for linux.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
kdenlive works well and is probably better than any video editor that doesn't cost whatever adobe charges for theirs.

i know, not saying much, but it's something at least

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

mike12345 posted:

This is like a drug psa, but for linux.

GNU/Linux: not even ONCE

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
if this doesn't work I'm blaming Linux

Yeah that didn't work

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 1, 2018

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Trip report on the Calibre server. Holy poo poo what a pain in the arse. I had to copy something like 20GB of books to the PC so I could send them though a copy of Calibre to get them into the library before copying the librarified directory tree back across to the server.
Long story short, the SBC based server just couldn't do it. For some reason adding books would explode seemingly when it tried to invoke pdfinfo. Couldn't quite pinpoint the failure mode.

In the end it took over a day of shuffling files etc. but calibre-server seems to work quite well! I was worried it would be slow given how clunky the UI is.

peepsalot posted:

Try Lightworks. https://www.lwks.com/ I used to use the free version for converting, editing and uploading YouTube videos. It's pretty good, but tutorials are your friend.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I did a “dnf upgrade” on my ThinkPad...

Ouch. Last week I realised my PC hadn't been updating. After some poking around I discovered it had failed partway through a distribution upgrade and somehow remained functional. I ended up doing a flatten and reinstall keeping my /home partition like usual. Got to remember where I saved fstab to though before I did it.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Sometimes, I think I'm pretty dumb. I just set up SaltStack on my home infrastructure (about 20 Linux VMs) and played around with centralized updates and maintenance because management was getting very tedious. This is ... so much easier. Are you kidding me? Why am I so dumb? Why did I wait so long to try this?

Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty happy with Salt.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We've got two sftp servers that our customers use. Each customer has their own folder under /sftphome, which is a gluster volume. The customers' sftp access is restricted to their folders, and each folder has uid/gid unique to that customer. What's the best way to migrate this data across the country to a similar pair of sftp servers? There are currently around 200 users, and potentially many more, and we could potentially make a service account in each group (the servers are CentOS 6, so we won't hit NGROUPS_MAX), but I don't know if like rsync or ssh or gluster's geo-replication or anything else could run into issues if they see a user with a few hundred groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

We've got two sftp servers that our customers use. Each customer has their own folder under /sftphome, which is a gluster volume. The customers' sftp access is restricted to their folders, and each folder has uid/gid unique to that customer. What's the best way to migrate this data across the country to a similar pair of sftp servers? There are currently around 200 users, and potentially many more, and we could potentially make a service account in each group (the servers are CentOS 6, so we won't hit NGROUPS_MAX), but I don't know if like rsync or ssh or gluster's geo-replication or anything else could run into issues if they see a user with a few hundred groups.

a copy operation isn't going to look at the users, just the permissions on the files. I'd use rsync.