Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hello

Is there a madden thread?

Specifically one about the ultimate team mode?

All the sports game threads are in the sports subforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Help Im Alive posted:

I think maybe there's good capcom who makes Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney then bad capcom who makes everything else

This past fiscal year's been up and down for them. Monster Hunter World was a breakout hit and their Switch ports enjoyed success. However, much of the rest of their lineup underperformed or bombed. They also delayed their mobile game lineup to the second half of this year after deciding to outsource development to established mobile developers.

Capcom today reminds of where SEGA and Square-Enix were in back in 2010. During that time, these two publishers had a handful of breadwinners with most of their brands cratering in value. SEGA downsized to products that reliably made money and Square-Enix doubled down on improving the quality of their games. It also helped that these publishers had a successful mobile games division. Here's to hoping 2018 goes better for Capcom. With Monster Hunter World and SFV Arcade, they're starting to turn a corner.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Apparently MHW sold 5mil in its opening weekend, holy moly.

not surprising given that Monster Hunter is practically keeping them afloat, those games always sell impossibly well. DBZ and Monster Hunter together sold like almost 8 million in January which is insanity.

Sunning posted:

This past fiscal year's been up and down for them. Monster Hunter World was a breakout hit and their Switch ports enjoyed success. However, much of the rest of their lineup underperformed or bombed. They also delayed their mobile game lineup to the second half of this year after deciding to outsource development to established mobile developers.

Capcom today reminds of where SEGA and Square-Enix were in back in 2010. During that time, these two publishers had a handful of breadwinners with most of their brands cratering in value. SEGA downsized to products that reliably made money and Square-Enix doubled down on improving the quality of their games. It also helped that these publishers had a successful mobile games division. Here's to hoping 2018 goes better for Capcom. With Monster Hunter World and SFV Arcade, they're starting to turn a corner.

if the long rumored DMC5 gets revealed this year it'll be another slamdunk, as will the Street Fighter Anniversary collection and potentially previewing the Resident Evil 2 remake project. The only big black eye is how impossibly bad the MVCInfinite release went and idk if they can salvage it.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 1, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm honestly surprised so many people played The Fall pt 1

I remember it getting a bunch of air time on various GotY podcasts the year it was released, specifically I remember Vinny going to bat for it for best story during the Giant Bomb GotY casts.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It helps that MH World is incredibly good and strips out every pointlessly tedious barrier to entry. It probably also benefits from comparisons to Dark Souls, even if kind of inaccurate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DLC Inc posted:

not surprising given that Monster Hunter is practically keeping them afloat, those games always sell impossibly well. DBZ and Monster Hunter together sold like almost 8 million in January which is insanity.

MH has always been a huge franchise in Japan, finally some fiscal analyst at Capcom :thunk: "hey maybe if we make this more accessible to the west, it will sell a bazillion copies here AND over there."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

It helps that MH World is incredibly good and strips out every pointlessly tedious barrier to entry. It probably also benefits from comparisons to Dark Souls, even if kind of inaccurate.

I really appreciate the qol improvements. The older games had a ton of time wastng poo poo that didn't really make the game any better and only served to annoy you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

if the long rumored DMC5 gets revealed this year it'll be another slamdunk

didn't that turn out to be a mobile game?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wasn't Street Fighter V not even made by internal Capcom staff, didn't they farm it out or something

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wasn't Street Fighter V not even made by internal Capcom staff, didn't they farm it out or something
It's codeveloped with Dimps, as was IV

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I have purchased Final Fantasy XII: The Ted Cruz Age. If I can get through it I will have completed every main numbered FF except XV and that is out in a couple of months too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think you're thinking of MVCI

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DLC Inc posted:

if the long rumored DMC5 gets revealed this year it'll be another slamdunk, as will the Street Fighter Anniversary collection and potentially previewing the Resident Evil 2 remake project. The only big black eye is how impossibly bad the MVCInfinite release went and idk if they can salvage it.

SFV had free updates and heavy discounts but still struggled to hit its initial sales goal over the course of two years. I see MvCI ending up in a Goodwill store for a dollar. Fighting games (Injustice 2, Tekken 7, ARMS, DBZF, etc.) are experiencing a renaissance so failures like MvCI really stand out.

Oxxidation posted:

didn't that turn out to be a mobile game?

Hideaki Itsuno, who hasn't shipped a game since Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen in 2013, is unusually apologetic about a super amazing game he's working on but can't show yet. Could be Rival Schools 2.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

According to Ono, SFV had the largest internal Capcom development ever for a fighting game. A good portion of the team were college recruits. DIMPs was a co-developer. They also worked with outsourcing studios in Japan, Malaysia, and China.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I stand corrected.

I have a copy of SFV that I never even installed, maybe I'll give it a spin

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sunning posted:

Hideaki Itsuno, who hasn't shipped a game since Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen in 2013, is unusually apologetic about a super amazing game he's working on but can't show yet. Could be Rival Schools 2.

Dragon's Dogma 2 :getin:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I stand corrected.

Don't rush out if you have literally anything else to play. SFV had a ton of everyone put into it and had had a lot added but it's still really bad

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I stand corrected.

A physical disc? Maybe give it a spin. In your microwave.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

This

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Saint Freak posted:

Uh, wow. "Fatality." :xd:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like SFV because other modern fighting games are too complicated for me

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Final Fantasy XII has an interesting price point. Two remakes and full cost. Star Ocean 4 is far from being so popular, but it costs half.

Macaluso posted:

I didn't. I just went ahead and bought one. That one specifically too funny enough. I just now saw there's a slightly new model after the fact but I figure it can't be that big of a difference between them
You wouldn't notice if you never got an SSD. Just as long as you got more than 240GB of storage since games are stupidly huge.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 1, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah SFV improved a lot in some ways but unless you bought Arcade Edition and play other people there's nothing there for most people. Even the Arcade single player poo poo they added is garbage because the only 2 difficulties are "braindead" and "reads your every input like loving crazy." Other games like Tekken, Injustice 2, and Arcsys games have figured out how to make better CPU fights and better singleplayer content so Capcom is always playing catchup.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I really hope dragonball and sfv puts arcsys over the top and makes them the "default" fg company

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They are in Japan, Capcom has 0 arcade presence

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I like SFV because other modern fighting games are too complicated for me

This is my position, though dragonball does dumb things down an appreciable amount such that I might be able to do anything at all in it. SF's pace also works better for me.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If you plan on ever fighting out of bronze then SFV is just as complicated as any other fg, maybe more so because it sucks and 90% of the characters are depressing to lose with and not exciting to win with.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never get the argument that SFV is simple. It just seems to have less options but it still seems to have tons of ultra precise combos and setups with little room for error. Like, part of the reason I don't like the game is because it simplified the fun parts and made them feel dull while keeping in the dull complex things that keep me from really getting deep in almost any fighting game.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Andrast posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 :getin:

God I hope. I would even take the diet version and play Dragons Dogma Online English version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's simple for someone who gets excited when they actually manage to beat someone online

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I have thousands of hours in fighting games and I still get excited when I win. Why would you even play games in that genre otherwise?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Did they ever fix the fact that Alex's legs are on goddamn backwards? I played a little the day AE came out but I don't think I saw one cause....it's Alex

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Scalding Coffee posted:

You wouldn't notice if you never got an SSD. Just as long as you got more than 240GB of storage since games are stupidly huge.

I got the 500 gig one yeah. :) I mean WoW alone takes up so much loving space it's ridiculous

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think people are defining complexity differently. I don't really file things like 1 frame links under complexity so much as just execution. It'll vary from character to character, but combos are generally also fairly short. Anime games have 5 different bars, every character has their own special resource, and basic combos are 10 steps long. Tekken has a ton of position and character dependent stuff and huge move lists to keep track of. All of that's cool and I like it and am glad it's there, I just can't do it or keep track of it compared to SF's relatively more limited characters. I can't do the fast inputs anime games need, but I can manage SF's.

Maybe I'm just saying SF is easier when you're a dumb bad, but I'm a dumb bad.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 1, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just gonna repost this because it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8bc-V6seo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dude, it's me woof

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I think people are defining complexity differently. I don't really file things like 1 frame links under complexity so much as just execution. It'll vary from character to character, but combos are generally also fairly short. Anime games have 5 different bars, every character has their own special resource, and basic combos are 10 steps long. Tekken has a ton of position and character dependent stuff and huge move lists to keep track of. All of that's cool and I like it and am glad it's there, I just can't do it or keep track of it compared to SF's relatively more limited characters. I can't do the fast inputs anime games need, but I can manage SF's.

Maybe I'm just saying SF is easier when you're a dumb bad, but I'm a dumb bad.

SF's barrier for execution is much higher than anime and Tekken games is the thing that trips me up. I can't hitconfirm for poo poo in SF A

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't know if that's actually true, so much as that in Street Fighter you reach the plateau where execution is the only or most effective way to advance your game much quicker. Especially if you're going to talk about all anime games and all Tekkens in general.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/D3u5CHI.gifv

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I would like to know more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk looks twee