Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

It is incredibly easy to punk the Bulls front office.

I saw a chart somewhere that showed the Bulls have made, like, three second-round picks since Chris Duhon in 2004, but I can't seem to track it down. If anyone could find that I would be forever grateful

Yup, once they fall in love with a trade you can pull back and they'll just pile on more till you say yes. Remember how much they had to give up for Doug McDermott? Or giving up their own pick in the Jimmy Butler deal? Heck, they had to throw in a 2nd round pick to get Cameron Payne when they were giving up McDermott and Taj.

I'll still take the deal since it's probably the best 1st round pick they'd be able to get for Niko. But they still gave up a lot to get it per usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Brolander posted:

watching the CJ highlights. he's my vote for Most Valuable Average Lookin Dude

Whoever here said he looked like an 80s sitcom dad is exactly right

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Trey Lyles is the most improved player in the NBA. I didn't see that coming.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wait, the Pelicans also get the rights to exchange 2nd round picks with the Bulls in 2021.

I don't get it. Is the 17th pick in the draft that valuable? They gave up a really good player with another year left. They took on a bad contract. They're giving up a 2nd round pick and the option to exchange down the road. And they're taking a bunch of junk the Pelicans don't want which I also don't understand because they could use that space to get more picks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Yup, once they fall in love with a trade you can pull back and they'll just pile on more till you say yes. Remember how much they had to give up for Doug McDermott? Or giving up their own pick in the Jimmy Butler deal? Heck, they had to throw in a 2nd round pick to get Cameron Payne when they were giving up McDermott and Taj.

I'll still take the deal since it's probably the best 1st round pick they'd be able to get for Niko. But they still gave up a lot to get it per usual.

So I am not defending the Butler trade, but if you like Lauri you had to give up the first round pick. Stepian rule was in place for the Wolves because this year's pick could go to Atlanta and you can't give up 2 years of draft picks in a row. Minnesota has OKCs protected right now, but that doesn't get them out of the Stepian rule and they didn't make the deal for that pick until after the draft.

So the Bulls couldn't make that deal unless they gave MN a 2017 pick right there and then.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Is the 17th pick in the draft that valuable?

At that spot you have roughly a 50% chance of landing a starting-quality player. So, yes. Valuable.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lockback posted:

So I am not defending the Butler trade, but if you like Lauri you had to give up the first round pick. Stepian rule was in place for the Wolves because this year's pick could go to Atlanta and you can't give up 2 years of draft picks in a row. Minnesota has OKCs protected right now, but that doesn't get them out of the Stepian rule and they didn't make the deal for that pick until after the draft.

So the Bulls couldn't make that deal unless they gave MN a 2017 pick right there and then.

The Wolves could have just drafted Lauri and finalized the trade afterwards, yeah?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Jokic is delightful

https://streamable.com/lzd5b

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

They never scouted Lauri so I don't think they knew what they were getting.

I forgot Minnesota had traded away that 2018 pick. Still, I think the Bulls could have asked for a future lottery protected 1st in that deal if they were giving up their own. Or at least a couple 2nd rounders.

It just seems like every Bulls trade looks fine at first and then news slowly trickles in on them throwing in a couple 2nd rounders or taking on some bad contracts. The 2nd round pick and the swap in 2021 is minor stuff but I don't know why they give in. The Pelicans were getting a good player and unloading a bad contract at the same time.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Portland's upcoming UFA and RFAs

Ed Davis (UFA)
Jusuf Nurkic
Noah Vonleh
Shabazz Napier
Pat Connaughton

Guys they'd love to unload

Meyers Leonard ($22m, two years remaining)
Moe Harkless ($21m, two years remaining)

Absolute Albatrosses
Evan Turner ($36m, two years remaining)

you're Neil Olshey, what do you do at the trade deadline?

Personally I sell high on Napier, since he's basically already regressing a bit. Desperately try to unload Meyers or Moe, but who knows what that would take or who would be interested.

I keep Ed Davis because he's maybe their best bench player and they can probably re-sign him for a decent price. Similarly Connaughton could be a reasonably priced role player.

I have no idea what to do with Vonleh. He has looked like a good glue guy at times, but Stotts doesn't play him and they just drafted Collins and Swanigan.

I dunno what they're gonna do with Nurkic. He looks basically identical to the guy who left Denver. I kinda hate his game. Wants to be a skilled big with none of the skills. Basically looks like a worse Ed Davis right now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/959143794892595200

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

GOGI!

Man, that's awesome. Good for him.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/bigman5521/status/959146363731763201

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

An underrated aspect of this is Whiteside is probably pissed.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hah that "okay now get it down" at the end, I know that dang tone

any time I pick up my lil cousins and throw em around for a while they think they get a handle on the rules so they can tell me what to do, okay you picked her up now you have to pick me up, always stated like the master of the universe

today I learned Paul George is actually a Paul George Jr and his Mom's name is Paulette. He has two sisters and they aren't named Paula.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

It was a draft day trade so the Stepian rule didn't matter, since they were just trading the rights to Lauri after drafting him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

Trey Lyles is the most improved player in the NBA. I didn't see that coming.

I did :cool:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jameer is probably the bulls' best PG

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

xbilkis posted:

Thanks -- I also found the actual thing I was thinking of. Not quite as bad as I remembered, but still, throw two more "traded" bad boys on here for 2017 and 2018

Paul "Source of Possible Value" Zipser

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lmao that the bulls cannot do an nba transaction without giving up a 2nd round oick, how do they even have any left

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

pubic works project posted:

Fixed that for you.

*Offer not valid in any state other than Indiana

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I don't care if there are more deserving players, I'm so happy :qq:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm interested to see Davis play alongside a good stretch 4. I really think he's talented and just had some really bad luck and a bad organization that held him back (or scapegoated him).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How is Kemba still not on that team?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Oh, that's unexpected, but I support the decision. Love me some Dragic.

edit:

https://twitter.com/AdamReisinger/status/958924689866444800

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Booo

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

leftist heap posted:

Portland's upcoming UFA and RFAs

Ed Davis (UFA)
Jusuf Nurkic
Noah Vonleh
Shabazz Napier
Pat Connaughton

Guys they'd love to unload

Meyers Leonard ($22m, two years remaining)
Moe Harkless ($21m, two years remaining)

Absolute Albatrosses
Evan Turner ($36m, two years remaining)

you're Neil Olshey, what do you do at the trade deadline?

Personally I sell high on Napier, since he's basically already regressing a bit. Desperately try to unload Meyers or Moe, but who knows what that would take or who would be interested.

I keep Ed Davis because he's maybe their best bench player and they can probably re-sign him for a decent price. Similarly Connaughton could be a reasonably priced role player.

I have no idea what to do with Vonleh. He has looked like a good glue guy at times, but Stotts doesn't play him and they just drafted Collins and Swanigan.

I dunno what they're gonna do with Nurkic. He looks basically identical to the guy who left Denver. I kinda hate his game. Wants to be a skilled big with none of the skills. Basically looks like a worse Ed Davis right now.

I expect them to let Vonleh walk unless he resigns at some ridiculous price. I think they resign Connaughton to a team-friendly deal. I would be surprised if they can resign Davis at a decent price, but would love it if they can.

Nurkic is the unanswerable question. He's young, their defense is unquestionably better with him on the floor, and from the eye test you would expect him to be an impact offensive player. But his attitude sucks and he's likely going to be expecting a bigger contract than he's been worth. Allen isn't willing to lose money on the team, but the message sent letting him go for nothing wouldn't sit well with Lillard. Maybe they settle for signing Davis to a reasonable 2-3 year deal and not matching whatever crazy deal Nurkic gets thrown his way.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Niwrad posted:

I'm interested to see Davis play alongside a good stretch 4. I really think he's talented and just had some really bad luck and a bad organization that held him back (or scapegoated him).

Ryan Anderson did occasionally play with AD for a while. :v:

Niwrad posted:

How is Kemba still not on that team?

Supposedly, they just went by the next leading vote getter.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fox is the best PG from the 2017 draft :colbert:
code:
Player GP	FG%	3P%	TS%
Fox	43	41	35	0.481
Ball	36	35	30	0.436
DSJ	43	35	31	0.478
Frank 48	39	32	0.429

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/958972235510886400

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

Fox is the best PG from the 2017 draft :colbert:
code:
Player GP	FG%	3P%	TS%
Fox	43	41	35	0.481
Ball	36	35	30	0.436
DSJ	43	35	31	0.478
Frank 48	39	32	0.429

Frank 48 is a good nickname for some reason

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Trivia: which team has committed the most goaltendings? and which team has been goaltended the most times?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

Trivia: which team has committed the most goaltendings? and which team has been goaltended the most times?
Guessing without looking at anything and without any substantial NBA knowledge:
Committed: GSW
Goaltended the most: Kings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm tired of Dario Saric and want a Bosniak that can dunk when under the basket

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Wow the NBA just blatantly replacing one yakub with another in the all star lineup huh

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

The Nuggets for both?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

Larry Nance seems to get one at least once a week but I'm not sure if this is enough to make the Lakers #1.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://twitter.com/JRAM_91/status/959097537020903424

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm eagerly awaiting the collective hive mind somehow defending LeBron for doing the exact same they tore Durant to pieces for doing.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Given how much weight he's lost in that picture maybe he needs some sort of treatment that can only be found in San Francisco. Good onthe Warriors for giving him that opportunity.

E: I see how this could be read as another type of joke than the one I'm making so let me be clear I'm talking about Lebron getting a rare form of cancer, no other disease.

• Locked thread