Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
they couldnt have launched the x on its own because they wouldnt have been able to make enough of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

a few months ago analysts were saying the 8 wouldn't sell very well bc it would get cannibalized by the X

surprise, analysts don't know poo poo and are usually wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't remember that but I do remember everyone saying the 8 was gonna cannibalize the x.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
im gonna go on record here and say that apple q1 results tomorrow are gonna beat the forecasts

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that may indeed be, but it makes for a more interesting thread to focus on the details of the strategy, if we were just going by press releases i presume there is, even in 2018, an rss feed out there somewhere

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Zero One posted:

probably a mistake to do the 8 and X at the same time. should have just done the X and left the 7 to anyone who didn't want a $1000 phone this year.

it's probably mostly this, the phones are essentially the same internally

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

surprise, analysts don't know poo poo and are usually wrong

that's job security

if they were right all the time people would say "what the gently caress do we need you for"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

a few months ago analysts were saying the 8 wouldn't sell very well bc it would get cannibalized by the X

i think 11 years later way less people have money laying around for a $1100 phone

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

poty posted:

they couldnt have launched the x on its own because they wouldnt have been able to make enough of them

hasn't stopped them in the past

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

poty posted:

im gonna go on record here and say that apple q1 results tomorrow are gonna beat the forecasts

i hope so. my first round of stock vests in 2 weeks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

that is literally the best case scenario for Apple

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that may indeed be, but it makes for a more interesting thread to focus on the details of the strategy, if we were just going by press releases i presume there is, even in 2018, an rss feed out there somewhere

okay, here’s the strategy:
Apple is going to sell about the same number of phones as last year because the market is saturated. if some of the phones they sell this year were more expensive then they make more money.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

Apple is going to sell about the same number of phones as last year because the market is saturated. if some of the phones they sell this year were more expensive then they make more money.

sounds to me like the iphone 8 and iphone x both sold half as many as forecast

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

i thought there was supposed to be an upgrade supercycle this year to compensate for lackluster 7 sales the previous year which were attributed to everyone waiting another year for the X

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

if sales are down it’s because phones have been good enough since 2015 and the only reason to upgrade anymore is if your phone is physically broken

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Elder Postsman posted:

if sales are down it’s because phones have been good enough since 2015 and the only reason to upgrade anymore is if your phone is physically broken

why I upgraded from iPhone 6 to iPhone SE

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scott Forstall posted:

why I upgraded from iPhone 6 to iPhone SE

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

I don't remember that but I do remember everyone saying the 8 was gonna cannibalize the x.

so you're saying 7 8 X

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

that's pretty much how it goes when I have my X out. "is that the $1000 iPhone?"

and my response is, "well actually it was about $1123 after I bought the case"

yeah, the thing that you spend hours every day using, lets you talk to anyone on the planet and find out anything you want, has made a ton of the things that you do on a daily basis better and easier, and lets you remember and document things so that you don't have to worry about your withering mind? gently caress spending any more money on that than you absolutely would have to

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimmy Carter posted:

yeah, the thing that you spend hours every day using, lets you talk to anyone on the planet and find out anything you want, has made a ton of the things that you do on a daily basis better and easier, and lets you remember and document things so that you don't have to worry about your withering mind? gently caress spending any more money on that than you absolutely would have to

My SE does all that for nearly a third of the price and with the added bonus of being designed for actual human hands and use in actual human environments.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that'll sure show those people who are not spending sufficiently much money, or depending deeply enough, on their mobile phone

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
WELCOME CITIZEN

PLEASE PRESENT YOUR IPHONE X OR YOUR CERTIFICATE OF POVERTY TO CONTINUE

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

re ibooks chat:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/25/apple-redesigned-book-app/

maybe it'll be better? maybe it'll be the same dog slow pile of poo poo but with a fresh coat of paint

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
new simplified ibooks: now just a blank screen

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

new simplified ibooks: now just a blank screen

Wish your posts were displayed using this technology (so we couldn't see them, because they are bad).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Wish your posts were displayed using this technology (so we couldn't see them, because they are bad).

please leave

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

please leave

same but also you

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

same but also you

gently caress you

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
ibook is good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/cabel/status/959146624286011392

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol if you think snow leopard wasnt the best osx

https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/31/snow-leopard-became-reliability-legend/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i wish apple would formally switch to a tick-tock model for macos/ios releases

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

looking back snow leper was shameful you couldn't have 64-bit code in any GUI facing routines

however it did set the foundation for printer drivers that didn't make the mac reboot if not written properly

also its the first macos apple ever distributed on a flash key, got a 10.6.3 installer that i slapped into a safe deposit for a rainy day

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
holiday quarter #s are in

quote:

Apple reports $88.3b in revenue and $20.1b profit from 77.3m iPhones, 13.2m iPads, and 5.1m Macs sold. That compares to $78.4b in revenue and $17.89b in profit from 78.3m iPhones, 13m iPads, and 5.3m Macs in the same quarter a year ago. Apple reported $52.6b in revenue and $10.7b profit from 46.7m iPhones, 10.3m iPads, and 5.4m Macs during the previous quarter.

$10bn more revenue and $2.2bn more profit than last holiday season ho hum

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://twitter.com/gak_pdx/status/959179952573657088

this is good for bitcoin

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

:doom: tiiiiiiiim

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FMguru posted:

holiday quarter #s are in

IPHONE SALES DOWN BY 1 MILLION UNITS: Is this the end of Apple?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

IPHONE SALES DOWN BY 1 MILLION UNITS: Is this the end of Apple?

quarter was a week shorter than last year. weekly sales rate is higher.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

:doom: tiiiiiiiim
close the company down give the money back to the shareholders

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FMguru posted:

close the company down give the money back to the shareholders

mega agreedo except don't give the money to the shareholders, redistribute it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

aapl is up after hours which is weird

funny how there's headlines about how "disapointing" it is like 5 seconds after the release