Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

This is peak Astros - enjoy it while it lasts friends.

My body is ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

Verlander - Keuchel - Cole - McCullers - Morton is probably the best rotation in baseball. Combined with what is indisputably the best lineup in baseball, and I look forward to watching this team day in and day out.

This is peak Astros - enjoy it while it lasts friends.

Our bullpen is improved too. Liking the additions we made.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Things are coming together too well and I’m just waiting for some kind of karmic retribution in the form of a season ending Altuve/Verlander injury.

I’m still not used to a team I like succeeding.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Things are coming together too well and I’m just waiting for some kind of karmic retribution in the form of a season ending Altuve/Verlander injury.

It IS a Houston team after all.

I’m ok with Texans going winless next year if it means the Astros can avoid the injury bug this year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's still plenty to worry about; the Yankees will be better than last year, too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Yankees are pretty much the #1 AL team I'm worried about

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is there going to be a dedicated Left Fielder on Opening Day, or are the Astros rolling with Marwin?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Marwin will be playing first on opening day with Yuli suspended.

I think they'll roll with him in left quite a bit, since he's proven himself to be too good to leave out of the lineup, and that's just where the main opening is. Jake Marisnick will be out there a lot too (or Reddick with Jake in center and Springer in right) as Marwin is making his rounds on the infield to give guys days off. Derek Fisher will be sprinkled in too.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why are you guys so down on Derek Fisher? I'd love to give him a full season to prove himself, he's produced every step of the way in the minor leagues.

He (very likely) won't be an immediate contributor to the level a Bregman or a Correa was, but he absolutely has the skillset to be a solid long term starting left fielder in the major leagues.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I'm not down on Fisher long-term, the Astros just have a really good team and there isn't room for him as an everyday player right now. Not only does he not have the ceiling of someone like George Springer, he has the added disadvantage of the team not being in a spot where putting a rookie out there in a sink or swim situation is worth their time since they're in win now mode.

Right now, he's nowhere near as good as Marwin who absolutely should to be out there every day (or close to it). I would agree Fisher has a higher ceiling than Jake Marisnick who is probably just about at his, but even still, Jake's offensive numbers were noticeably better than Fisher's last year and playing him gives you the best defensive outfield in the league. There just isn't a lot of motivation for AJ to use Fisher as anything more than a backup for now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Why are you guys so down on Derek Fisher? I'd love to give him a full season to prove himself, he's produced every step of the way in the minor leagues.

He (very likely) won't be an immediate contributor to the level a Bregman or a Correa was, but he absolutely has the skillset to be a solid long term starting left fielder in the major leagues.

He looks very Brett Wallacey to me

Plus his name is still Derek Fisher

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Greatest game of my lifetime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsdC7NJKwR0

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

spaced ninja posted:

I’m ok with Texans going winless next year if it means the Astros can avoid the injury bug this year.

I'm OK with the Texans cratering for the next decade for that, frankly.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Going to spend Super Bowl Sunday watching game 7 again.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

At this point I've accepted that I'm a bigger baseball fan than football fan so yeah, I'll trade Astros World Series for winless Texans seasons ever year.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/960549441169129472

Deserved

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
12 a year feels pretty cheap for a world series MVP

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If Springer’s OK with it, that’s all that matters.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

nice

And I agree, it does feel cheap

Another sign that we're in hellmarket, bound for a strike

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
It's actually more than what Springer was asking for in arbitration (10 Million), and considering he's under club control for 3 more years I don't think he made out too badly.

Come 2020 it'll be time to get paid though.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
To be clear I did not mean that the Astros were cheaping out, I meant we were lucky to have a player like that still in his arb years for such a relatively low price

He is going to get PAID soon and I hope we're the ones that do it

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you had to lose one (Because we very likely will):

Altuve
Correa
Springer
Keuchel
Bregman

Who do you let walk in order to pay the other four (Assuming someone like Gonzalez is long gone)?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

Altuve
Correa
Springer
Keuchel
Bregman

Who do you let walk in order to pay the other four (Assuming someone like Gonzalez is long gone)?

Probably Keuchel, since he's 30 and he's been wildly inconsistent over the past few years. I have a hard time seeing him as a legitimate ace

but I may also be undervaluing him

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kirios posted:

Altuve
Correa
Springer
Keuchel
Bregman

Keuchel. He’s almost certainly walking once he’s a FA.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Possibly, but after two years where does your pitching stand? It's going to become an extreme weakness of this team in two years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Possibly, but after two years where does your pitching stand? It's going to become an extreme weakness of this team in two years.

Depends how Whitley, Lance and Buk progress

The Astros aren't going to be able to keep all their elite players

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

Altuve
Correa
Springer
Keuchel
Bregman

Keuchel and then Bregman if it came down to it.

Altuve's eventual contract is going to be massive. Like, possibly best paid player in baseball massive. Correa and Springer won't command as much, but I suspect we're still looking at somewhere in the teens in terms of millions per year for both.

If I'm being totally honest, I suspect Bregman stays, because he won't cost quite as much, and Springer will go in free agency. Altuve and Correa are the core. You can't let them walk. But that's three years away, thankfully.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Apparently the new slogan for this season is “Never Settle”, which seems... odd? I get the sentiment, we want more rings, but surely something like “Defend the throne” would have been better?

They’ll also be wearing these unis on occasion:

I dig the hat

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
That hat is awesome and I want one (just without the dumb flat bill please).

Here enjoy Correa and Altuve playing catch

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be5usbSjq9P/?taken-by=teamcjcorrea

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

spaced ninja posted:

That hat is awesome and I want one (just without the dumb flat bill please).

Here enjoy Correa and Altuve playing catch

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be5usbSjq9P/?taken-by=teamcjcorrea

If you bend a flat bill it’s no longer flat

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently the new slogan for this season is “Never Settle”, which seems... odd? I get the sentiment, we want more rings, but surely something like “Defend the throne” would have been better?

I think it's meant to address the "well, we finally won one, so I can die happy" crowd, so I'm on board with it. Or in other words "why settle for one? There's nothing stopping Houston from becoming a franchise like the Yankees or Red Sox"

e: Except with more likable fans, obviously

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think it's meant to address the "well, we finally won one, so I can die happy" crowd, so I'm on board with it. Or in other words "why settle for one? There's nothing stopping Houston from becoming a franchise like the Yankees or Red Sox"

e: Except with more likable fans, obviously

90% sure we’ll be insufferable if we win 3 World Series in a row.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Edward Mass posted:

yeah well who wouldn't be

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah well who wouldn't be

Make “Let’s Get Insufferable” this year’s motto, imo

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Edward Mass posted:

Make “Let’s Get Insufferable” this year’s motto, imo

:yeah:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Edward Mass posted:

I promise to be insufferable as gently caress if we do

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m already insufferable

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:agreed:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

Keuchel and then Bregman if it came down to it.

Altuve's eventual contract is going to be massive. Like, possibly best paid player in baseball massive. Correa and Springer won't command as much, but I suspect we're still looking at somewhere in the teens in terms of millions per year for both.

You ate hilariously optimistic about correa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Apparently there are trade offers for McHugh. I would be hesitant to pull the trigger on losing him given the history of Keuchel and McCullers.

• Locked thread