Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blake Griffin is good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

Did they actually get him? I know the Celtics are really looking at him, too.

I was premature because I read it happened on hoopshype
https://www.yahoo.com/news/reports-buyout-greg-monroe-leaning-235549841.html Apparently he's only "strongly leaning" toward New Orleans

WhyteRyce posted:

The Twin Towers line-up worked in spite of the era of small-ball because Cousins and Davis are some of the best basketball players on the planet. Monroe is significantly less so

Monroe + Drummond + Jennings destroyed the NBA for two weeks before jennings achilles tear

Monroe is one of the best big passers in the NBA and great at boxing out or rebounding. Just because his last two coaches have had a personal vendetta against him doesn't mean he's not a good player. He's not a guard in a center's body like Cousins, but he's a solid starting center, and will save some wear and tear on Davis.

Davis at 5 and Mirotic at 4 should be interesting too

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

He would still be taking minutes that would otherwise be going to Dante Cunningham and Chieck Diallo.

He'd be a solid pickup for a team just devastated by an injury and short on talent but I don't think it'll be a "80% of Cousins, so plug-and-play for 80% the production". They are going to have to get a little more creative in their lineups since you can't play him for 40 minutes and expect him to drop 3 point bombs to cover defensive deficiencies.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/959236556899930112

Markkanen being in this instead of the 3PT competition is weird. My money's on Dinwiddie!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
first

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

xbilkis posted:

Markkanen being in this instead of the 3PT competition is weird.

Markkanen is barely shooting over 36%

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

WhyteRyce posted:

He'd be a solid pickup for a team just devastated by an injury and short on talent but I don't think it'll be a "80% of Cousins, so plug-and-play for 80% the production". They are going to have to get a little more creative in their lineups since you can't play him for 40 minutes and expect him to drop 3 point bombs to cover defensive deficiencies.

Oh, definitely. But even when Cousins and Davis are both healthy, the team would like to play them fewer minutes. Not sure he would stick around for that kind of deal after this season, but that would be ok.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Oh, apparently Malcolm Brogdon suffered a serious non-contact injury a few minutes ago. Bucks people appear to be really worried.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/jmcdonald_saen/status/959222049268011008
Now just learn to shoot dude

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

morestuff posted:

I really would have guessed “whatever team Dwight is on”

This was my exact angle, guess I missed Dokmo's followup post like a chump tho

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

It's just incidental that these end up being smaller players, who then have an advantage over most lumbering bigs in pickle rolls, but not really Anthony Davis who is gazelle-like.

NBA February N/V: Pickle Rolls

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

Oh, apparently Malcolm Brogdon suffered a serious non-contact injury a few minutes ago. Bucks people appear to be really worried.

It was really weird he went up for a dunk and looked like he blew a spring or something and when he landed he slowly tested his leg out before deciding to go to the floor. Sounded like he said he heard a pop when he jumped.

I wasn't paying close attention to the game but I think they said quad injury at some point later in the broadcast.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i don't think that pels fans are on enough self-loathing irony levels to appreciate niko mirotic

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

AggressivelyStupid posted:

First

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wow. Tough crowd.

Contract the Raptors.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Wow. Tough crowd.

Contract the Raptors.
I like "The Vegas Raptors"

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

pubic works project posted:

Fixed that for you.

Last time I checked a few years back his rookie season he kinda sucked, so I'm glad that rectified itself.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it is sort of amazing how asik and hibbert and all the giant rim protector dudes went from incredibly valuable to fundamentally useless in like three years

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I accidentally followed the GDT instead of this one and I didn't like it.

Oladipo is a strong boy. I remember when he first came into the league he was a manic and strange dribbler.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

R.D. Mangles posted:

i don't think that pels fans are on enough self-loathing irony levels to appreciate niko mirotic

They have a ton of self loathing, just no irony in it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

They have a ton of self loathing, just no irony in it.

kibner, i want you to tell me what it feels like the first time niko launches a 38-footer for no apparent reason because i need to know what it is like to be alive again

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

it is sort of amazing how asik and hibbert and all the giant rim protector dudes went from incredibly valuable to fundamentally useless in like three years

I think it's mostly cause those guys in particular got hurt and started sucking. Although they've started whistling a bunch of stuff they previously would have allowed under "verticality." But teams still want guys like Capela and I'm sure the Clippers won't have any problem unloading DJ.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chunkles posted:

I think it's mostly cause those guys in particular got hurt and started sucking. Although they've started whistling a bunch of stuff they previously would have allowed under "verticality." But teams still want guys like Capela and I'm sure the Clippers won't have any problem unloading DJ.

yeah, i was going to include noah in that as well, although he's an injury casualty. seems to me, though, that there's a lot of big dudes you just can't keep on the floor because they can't guard anyone in small lineups and the rebounding/post-up edge in having a big guy doesn't really seem to matter, especially since those guys had limited offensive skills or are like asik and were born with permanent oven mitts instead of hands

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/sydneeW_/status/959250422820110336

:allears: Bill Russel

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Capella is a good roll guy and finisher. Asik and Hibbert both have stone hands and no post game. You can't really compare them as the same type of player

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
loving verticality was the worst and I’m glad it’s dead

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember when I used to dream of tim Duncan recruiting Roy Hibbert for the Spurs
It's funny how quickly the league changes

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Capella is a good roll guy and finisher. Asik and Hibbert both have stone hands and no post game. You can't really compare them as the same type of player

I guess I feel like there's still room in the rotation for a poo poo offense guy who can defend the P&R at an elite level, just Asik and Hibbert haven't even been good at that recently. But yeah Jordan and Clint "better hook shot than Dwight ever had" Capela are not the example of that.

nachos posted:

loving verticality was the worst and I’m glad it’s dead

:yeah:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

yeah, i was going to include noah in that as well, although he's an injury casualty. seems to me, though, that there's a lot of big dudes you just can't keep on the floor because they can't guard anyone in small lineups and the rebounding/post-up edge in having a big guy doesn't really seem to matter, especially since those guys had limited offensive skills or are like asik and were born with permanent oven mitts instead of hands

A healthy Noah would absolutely still be valuable today, probably still an all-star. Noah guarded out to the perimeter plus was really really good helping on smaller guys driving. Even offensively put-backs are still really efficient and his passing would be more effective with more shooters on the floor.

Hibbert was just a weird case of a guy peaking for 18 months and then falling off a cliff, and Asik was probably never as good as we thought. At the end of the day you do need to have more skills than just be big and defend the rim, but it's not like that skill still isn't valuable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh dear
https://twitter.com/nbaontnt/status/959281592429498368

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Asik had offensive value because he was an excellent screen setter even if he wasn't a great roll finisher. Hibbert was never a good PNR player.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
All hail the new savior of the Pistons, Blake Griffin. God Bless Blake

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

GobiasIndustries posted:

All hail the new savior of the Pistons, Blake Griffin. God Bless Blake

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/959257563849285634

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
aaaaawwwwWWWWWWWW!!! :swoon:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Drummond is the superior Dre.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
owns

owns

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux0Irxb9mDo

R.D. Mangles posted:

kibner, i want you to tell me what it feels like the first time niko launches a 38-footer for no apparent reason because i need to know what it is like to be alive again

It is time to remember the joys of watching Asik struggle to hold onto a basketball like it's greased and exploding.

big boi posted:

gonna need an example of this

Computer monitors, CFLs/LEDs, newer TVS, smart phones, fluorescent lights etc.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Hibbert was just a weird case of a guy peaking for 18 months and then falling off a cliff...

Hibbert ended up being a big headcase. Footage of him on the bench during that ECF against MIA looked like he was high on PCP or having Vietnam flashbacks.

Leah LaBelle had talent and was too young to win the season she was on. Not quite as controversial an elimination as Siobhan Magnus in season nine however. Many quit on the show after that when they realized AI was just about being a ballot stuffing cultist (like the sports leagues too).

EMC posted:

If Miami win today they will move into third, which means they will play like poo poo and get a Lebron James dicking and lose by 25

Cavs winning by 25 is a tall order these days. They've only done that once the whole season. LBJ is racking up sub-15 GmSc games. Not a good look.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

attn the NBA

quote:

Marbury plans to stay in shape -- "just in case" an NBA team calls this season

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22286344/stephon-marbury-tired-retirement-looming-china-basketball-association-season

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Now if LBJ goes to the Warriors just always remember that Wilt went to the Lakers and then right when famous chucker Elgin Baylor got injured they rattled off 33 consecutive wins and the title.

That's another HS graduation Rose needs to be able to walk at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm curious to see what happens with Rose after this season. Never got the impression he loved playing basketball. It feels like the only reason he's still playing is because he's got that giant Adidas contract to honor. But I can't see any team picking him up after this (although him going to China to play would be interesting).

I know he gets tossed around in those "what if" scenarios. But I still wonder if he'd really have been that good if he stayed healthy. The game kind of changed and I think he would have struggled regardless.

• Locked thread