Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Looten Plunder posted:

Have literally never heard of them except for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFF5X6Clvwo

Guys! Hey guys! You know that incredibly popular thing even my mom has heard of? Yeah I have never heard of it, except for like one instance which is how I recognized I should respond by saying how I have never heard of them! Imagine Dragons, uh I mean Dream Serpents, never heard of em. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HorseRenoir posted:

I didn't dislike the new direction they're taking for Good Place S3 but it feels too similar to how the first season ended. I kept waiting for a bigger twist to happen only to realize by the end that no twist was coming and that they were just setting up the premise for S3 in a really straightforward manner. But who knows how long they'll actually stick with that premise, the original sequel hook for S2 ended up only lasting a couple episodes before they moved onto something new.

Happy! is definitely weirder than most action shows but it has some of the most balls-out insane action sequences I've ever seen on TV, and I think anyone who enjoys Banshee or Strike Back will like it.

I don't know, it doesn't feel like a similar tone at all despite the fact that, yeah, there's some crazy action. But I like Happy! so I'm not crapping on it. I just didn't want anyone going in expecting Banshee or Strike Back with a show that probably has as much in common with something on Adult Swim.

I don't really "dislike" the way Good Place went. It just doesn't excite me. And yeah, given the show's track record I assume things will be uprooted and take some expected and some unexpected turns early into S3. So I'm not down on the show or anything. It was just gonna be hard to top the S1 finale and much of S2 and... well, they didn't. Just a victim of their success.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

swickles posted:

Guys! Hey guys! You know that incredibly popular thing even my mom has heard of? Yeah I have never heard of it, except for like one instance which is how I recognized I should respond by saying how I have never heard of them! Imagine Dragons, uh I mean Dream Serpents, never heard of em. :smuggo:

Are they actually super popular? I thought they were basically just a farm for obnoxious ad/commercial music. Never met a fan in real life.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Randallteal posted:

Are they actually super popular? I thought they were basically just a farm for obnoxious ad/commercial music. Never met a fan in real life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagine_Dragons#Awards_and_nominations

You will also find a link to the wikipedia article devoted to just their awards and nominations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

swickles posted:

I don't even own a TV etc etc

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

swickles posted:

OR

and I'm going out on a huge limb here

the average goon age is about 36 by now and not everyone -- especially those without kids -- has the time or gives the shits to keep up with all the latest goings-on in all 500 subgenres of pop media these days.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I've been rewatching Oz and Peter Dinklage has a role! It's not a speaking part but he does get tossed off a building. Literally that's it :lol: The scene went by so fast and after I was like 'wait that actor was very small was that Peter Dinklage?' and yep IMDB confirmed it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I feel like she's been less than totally sane for a long time. SHe dated Manson fer crissakes.

To be fair, he's hung like a blue whale, apparently.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

swickles posted:

I know Imagine Dragons but I haven't heard their music in years.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I know of Imagine Dragons exclusively from their one song featured in Riverdale. I know of Impractical Jokers exclusively from a comedian I like mentioning them in podcast ads.

Not everyone consumes pop culture the same as you. The media landscape is too wide, varied, and splintered these days for everyone to know about everything, no matter how popular it is. A thing that you love and consider incredibly popular and relevant will be something a large portion of the population has never heard of because they're too busy loving something they consider incredibly popular and relevant that you've never heard of. Not knowing about one of those things doesn't make someone stupid or even willfully ignorant.

Also, yeah we're all old here. It's hard keeping up with the youths.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't seen all of Banshee.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Has anyone been watching Knightfall? I am four episodes in and finding it mediocre. I don't really like any of the characters and it doesn't feel as epic as the commercials make it out. I will keep watching if someone tells me it gets better though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

OR

the average goon age is about 36 by now and not everyone -- especially those without kids -- has the time or gives the shits to keep up with all the latest goings-on in all 500 subgenres of pop media these days.

A few years ago I was interested in a woman in her 40's who was super excited about going to an Imagine Dragons concert.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Grey posted:

Has anyone been watching Knightfall? I am four episodes in and finding it mediocre. I don't really like any of the characters and it doesn't feel as epic as the commercials make it out. I will keep watching if someone tells me it gets better though.

I didn't get very far and yeah it's just bogstandard knight poo poo with the most cliched plots and one-note characters. I have no idea why they pushed it so hard, there's NOTHING there, it feels like some fuckin lost SyFy production from 2004.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

McSpanky posted:

OR

drat y'all gettin old, gramps

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

McSpanky posted:

OR

It's also easier than ever to not be exposed to this stuff now that everyone can just stream what they want and largely avoid commercials if they want to. And if you're like me your taste in music probably solidified about 15 years ago and it most certainly isn't whatever Imagine Dragons is, although I have heard the name.

Regy Rusty posted:

drat y'all gettin old, gramps

Get off the lawn I can't afford because the boomers took all the money!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Randallteal posted:

They’re on the radio constantly, but yeah, never met a fan or seen someone deliberately turn on one of their songs.

Altered Carbon is out and really good so far (halfway into E1).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Netflix's expensive tentpole show dropped today and it is nowhere on the app. I figured it would at least be in the “new releases” column but nope, it was not on my frontpage at all. Their app is so bad at letting you know what's new, if you look at the recently released section, they have poo poo from 6 months ago.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

So Netflix's expensive tentpole show dropped today and it is nowhere on the app. I figured it would at least be in the “new releases” column but nope, it was not on my frontpage at all. Their app is so bad at letting you know what's new, if you look at the recently released section, they have poo poo from 6 months ago.

Yeah, I was complaining about this in one of the streaming threads. I ended up having it buried under their Malaysian standup push, even though a huge chunk of my watch history is sci fi shows.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

~*~*~Algorithms~*~*~ determine the content of each user’s front page. If you’re not seeing it it’s because they don’t think you’re interested for some stupid reason.

SILICON VALLEY: CREATING OUR FUTURE

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DivisionPost posted:

~*~*~Algorithms~*~*~ determine the content of each user’s front page. If you’re not seeing it it’s because they don’t think you’re interested for some stupid reason.

SILICON VALLEY: CREATING OUR FUTURE

They also do a thing where they bury some stuff they expect to be popular to avoid excess server load. It’s annoying for me because I work a big chunk of the weekend, so if I want to binge something new, it’s gotta be on the Friday that it comes out on.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I've had to drag out a keyboard and search for new first party releases on Netflix many times, I don't know what's going on with their nerd math but this has happened for things that really logically should pop up for me. Like things I had watched previous seasons of.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

It's also easier than ever to not be exposed to this stuff now that everyone can just stream what they want and largely avoid commercials if they want to. And if you're like me your taste in music probably solidified about 15 years ago and it most certainly isn't whatever Imagine Dragons is, although I have heard the name.

I was thinking about that as well, it's so much easier to avoid advertising and get more targeted/customized content these days that you can much more easily avoid exposure to things outside of your general tastes in the course of common consumption.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know who Imagine Dragons are from:

1. Hearing Radioactive on the radio
2. Their Grammy performance with Kendrick
3. Their SNL performance
4. Their songs appearing in video game and movie trailers ("Believer" was in, like, four different ones alone).

I don't like them. At all. And I wish I didn't know who they are. But I've been completely unable to avoid them.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

lelandjs posted:

I know who Imagine Dragons are from:

3. Their SNL performance
4. Their songs appearing in video game and movie trailers ("Believer" was in, like, four different ones alone).

I don't like them. At all. And I wish I didn't know who they are. But I've been completely unable to avoid them.

1. and the 100 for me. Is that show good again? I dropped off after season 3.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who cares if it shows up on your front page or not? You know it's out, you've got a search function, it's not complicated.

And :lol: if you think it's cool to not know who Imagine Dragons are. You're going to pretend you've never heard of Maroon 5 next.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rarity posted:

Who cares if it shows up on your front page or not? You know it's out, you've got a search function, it's not complicated.

And :lol: if you think it's cool to not know who Imagine Dragons are. You're going to pretend you've never heard of Maroon 5 next.

I couldn't name a single maroon 5 song but I do know Adam Levine has a very nice torso

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

S4 was good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I couldn't name a single maroon 5 song but I do know Adam Levine has a very nice torso

Harder to Breathe? Sunday Morning? Moves Like Jagger? YOLO?

(ok that last one doesn’t really count)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just started watching Runaways, and I am a little worried that I went to a mystic murder school built by Pride:

Pride logo:

University of Florida logo:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

I just started watching Runaways, and I am a little worried that I went to a mystic murder school built by Pride:

Pride logo:

University of Florida logo:

Uh, the Pride logo is pretty clearly based on Pepsi.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

I don't want to have to search for poo poo as that requires finding the keyboard. I have my tv/pc set up so I can just use an xbox controller for 99.9% of things.

I don't think it's cool, I just find it strange that in 2018 anyone would be incredulous that it's easy to not be exposed to pop music. I've heard of Maroon 5 too, couldn't tell you anything about them other than it's rap.

The point is this isn't 1994 where your avenues for music are 1. the radio, 2. MTV, and 3. trading cassette tapes?

But yeah sure, some people probably still do all this:

lelandjs posted:

3. Their SNL performance

And it's entirely possible I've heard them while watching E3 garbage but I wouldn't know.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: you have an xbone

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: you have an xbone

Yes I do, but the controller in question is from a 360.

It's not my fault Sony can't get a good goddamn driving game on their console, also it's a 4k DVD player.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I still haven't seen all of Banshee.

You son of a bitch

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Season 4 was... not great. Better than Season 3 by a mile, but nothing that had me like "drat I can't wait for the next season" or anything.
I don't think season 5 has even started yet, has it? I haven't seen it come up on the CW site when I go there to watch other CW shows.

IRQ posted:

The controller is the only part of the xbone actually worth owning though

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 2, 2018

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

IRQ posted:

It's not my fault Sony can't get a good goddamn driving game on their console, also it's a 4k DVD player.

Um, Gran Turismo is out for ps4 now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Season 4 was... not great. Better than Season 3 by a mile, but nothing that had me like "drat I can't wait for the next season" or anything.
I don't think season 5 has even started yet, has it? I haven't seen it come up on the CW site when I go there to watch other CW shows.

It's starting in late March or early April, just like iZombie.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

How much did Lyft have to pay to be the ride sharing service of choice in Runaways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quick, Bing me a Lyft, I have to go buy some Hydrox cookies.