Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thinking about it, I’m not actually sure whether Netflix in PAL countries keeps the original frame rate of the library or converts it, as both make sense. Obviously only having one version saves them space and energy, but I’m guessing they have lots of dubbed content which might well be in 50hz. Then there’s the case of catering for the few people left on the planet wiring up their Netflix boxes to the TV via composite who would moan their signal is in black and white.

Given Blu-rays in Europe smartly moved over to native frame rates, id like to think Netflix is too but you might need to do some research or experimentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Man, I really like the Apple tv 4k. I have numerous shield tvs, but the lack of automatic color space switching was bugging me so I picked one of these ups. Interface is pretty nice, and the iTunes 4k movies I watched looked really good. THumbs up. Welp cya.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

kri kri posted:

Man, I really like the Apple tv 4k. I have numerous shield tvs, but the lack of automatic color space switching was bugging me so I picked one of these ups. Interface is pretty nice, and the iTunes 4k movies I watched looked really good. THumbs up. Welp cya.

I also dumped the Shield for Apple tv 4K and never looked back.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is a movie available in iTunes 4K HDR that looks really really good? Just looking for something to help justify my purchases.

What’s the difference between these two codes for iTunes versions of Wonder Woman on uvspider?

The cheaper one says HD and the other says UHD, but I thought that iTunes will automatically upgrade me to 4K HDR so can I just save $4 here?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The iTunes copy only gets upgraded if you redeem the code within iTunes, which causes Apple to flag it as a ‘purchase’ on your account. However since Disney expanded their Movies Anywhere service to other studios, many are now offering codes through that which does put it in your iTunes library but is not eligible for the 4K upgrade to an HD copy.

If the Movies Anywhere code is supposed to be for a 4K copy, it will be a 4K copy. But you don’t get an upgrade since this multiplatform movie locker service is replacing individual codes for iTunes, Vudu, etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s kind of annoying, I have movies that were DVD includes that are still just standard def in my iTunes movie library. It would be nice if there was an upgrade path but understandable that there isn’t.

I had a quick look through the movies to see what are 4K, just a couple so far. Don’t have a 4K apple tv yet anyway though.. The built in apps on my new 4k tv are good enough I don’t feel the urge tbh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On Saturday evening I was bored and thought I'd give installing Kodi on the ATV a blast.

Yeah, that's not going to happen again. Just an exercise in pulling your hair out.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Along the same lines I set up Infuse on my new ATV 4k and I am liking it a lot. Will be really sweet once Plex support rolls out. The client is probably the nicest I tried out of Emby/Plex/MrMC

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve only ever used the free version of infuse but am intrigued in the paid one when I upgrade to ATV 4K if it can handle some stuff Plex can’t natively. Have you found it can deal with everything you throw at it?

Ideally I’d like one device that can handle all the common audio/video formats without an issue, even if it means splitting between a few apps. Currently I use a 3rd party Plex client on my TV as it’s the only thing I’ve found that can handle 4K HDR remuxes, but I’m limited on the audio it can pass to the receiver and it can’t deal with psg subs without transcoding. Plex on ATV struggles with audio codecs natively and cant playback files with 2 reference frame encoding without glitching.

I’m probably asking the impossible!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve only ever used the free version of infuse but am intrigued in the paid one when I upgrade to ATV 4K if it can handle some stuff Plex can’t natively. Have you found it can deal with everything you throw at it?

Ideally I’d like one device that can handle all the common audio/video formats without an issue, even if it means splitting between a few apps. Currently I use a 3rd party Plex client on my TV as it’s the only thing I’ve found that can handle 4K HDR remuxes, but I’m limited on the audio it can pass to the receiver and it can’t deal with psg subs without transcoding. Plex on ATV struggles with audio codecs natively and cant playback files with 2 reference frame encoding without glitching.

I’m probably asking the impossible!

It has handled everything for me without issue, including some 50+GB HEVC mkv files. I have not tried subs but according to the infuse website it should handle those without issue and doesn't burn them in like plex does. I bought the ATV since I was tired of dealing with the Nvidia shield colorspace issue and the ATV has been fantastic so far. The ATV does proper colorspace switching and also refresh rate matching.

You can pass through audio using infuse, but I guess it passes through a PCM stream. I don't really care as much about this, but some people on the internet seem pretty hell bent on seeing the "dolby digital" or whatever on their receiver. I don't even see the front of my receiver and it hasn't bothered me so far.

I find infuse pleasant to work with, unlike Plex where I feel the app is still kind of wonky. I got the trial / 99c monthly deal with now and will be trying it out. According to their roadmap, they are working on getting it working as a Plex client which will be pretty sweet.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 8, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If I paid for Infuse on my phone, do I get the TV app? Anywhere I can read up on the Plex feature?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Excellent, that’s some good news. I don’t care what the receiver says either (the indicator for what signal is coming in is so small I can’t see it), as long as it processes the audio correctly I’m happy. I’m only a 3.0 setup, but if a file I have is 96/24 or DTS HD or whatever I’d just be happiest with getting the full quality of those codecs and not have to transcode or dumb them down.

If it’s eating those 50gb hevcs that sounds good as that’s what I’m having to use xplay for currently.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

If I paid for Infuse on my phone, do I get the TV app? Anywhere I can read up on the Plex feature?

Yes. If you have the phone app you have the tv app and vice versa.

Infuse sees my Plex server fine, but it is local. I haven't tested access remotely.

The other issue I have with Infuse is that it seems to have problems grabbing the cover art on my Plex Server. Playback is a lot better, however. With the native Plex client, I still get some weird streaming issues, but that may be the computer I'm using as the server. I haven't seen the same issues with Infuse, though. It happens infrequently enough it's hard to hunt down.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Like the other user said, yes. It is slightly confusing as there is an IAP for the regular Infuse client, and then there is a $15 pro version.

The Plex thing is on their roadmap here:

https://firecore.com/forum/topic/13575

Proteus Jones posted:

Yes. If you have the phone app you have the tv app and vice versa.

Infuse sees my Plex server fine, but it is local. I haven't tested access remotely.

The other issue I have with Infuse is that it seems to have problems grabbing the cover art on my Plex Server. Playback is a lot better, however. With the native Plex client, I still get some weird streaming issues, but that may be the computer I'm using as the server. I haven't seen the same issues with Infuse, though. It happens infrequently enough it's hard to hunt down.

How are you connecting infuse and plex? DLNA? As far as I can tell you can't connect the 2 yet.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Thanks for the info, my 4k arrives on wed.

If I can avoid the plex client, or at least have an alternative, I'd like that a lot. I have a 3.0 setup as well and I like seeing DOLBY on my receiver because goddammit, I paid for it :spergin:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kri kri posted:

Like the other user said, yes. It is slightly confusing as there is an IAP for the regular Infuse client, and then there is a $15 pro version.

The Plex thing is on their roadmap here:

https://firecore.com/forum/topic/13575

How are you connecting infuse and plex? DLNA? As far as I can tell you can't connect the 2 yet.

Maybe? When I go to "Add Shares" it shows up as "Plex Media Server: <server name>". And if I map "movies" when I go into it, I can chose to view by all the different ways Plex has a movie tagged (genre, year, rating, etc..)

I don't tell Infuse to specifically look for it, it was just there when I go into Config>Shares.

That being said, I don't think it's complete given issues with some of the titling and some cover art.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Matt Zerella posted:

Thanks for the info, my 4k arrives on wed.

If I can avoid the plex client, or at least have an alternative, I'd like that a lot. I have a 3.0 setup as well and I like seeing DOLBY on my receiver because goddammit, I paid for it :spergin:

My Onkyo shows the name of the input in big letters, so I might rename the Apple TV to

DOBLY DIGITAL

and see if anyone notices.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

My Onkyo shows the name of the input in big letters, so I might rename the Apple TV to

DOBLY DIGITAL

and see if anyone notices.

For real. Stop sperging people!

The only "bad" thing about infuse is that you add your shares and then it scans for metadata. Mine took over 24 hours to fully scan so that sucked. Looking forward to getting true Plex integration and not having that issue anymore. Not that painful for me since the infuse client includes full trakt support so I dont give a poo poo really.

The plex trakt plugin has been abandoned by the dev, and it hasn't been working right whereas infuse has been syncing and scrobbling without issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My trakt logging looks correct on logging in, and I think I just use that plugin. Is it looking like at some point it’ll just break then?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

My trakt logging looks correct on logging in, and I think I just use that plugin. Is it looking like at some point it’ll just break then?

Not really sure, I just know it hasn't been updated in about a year. Mine just randomly decides to not work, it might be due to an API change but I am not sure.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How do you clear a resume play prompt on the main menu. I accidentally launched a show I wasn’t planning on watching yet and back off, now it stuck on the main menu even after I went into iTunes and marked it unwatched.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rirse posted:

How do you clear a resume play prompt on the main menu. I accidentally launched a show I wasn’t planning on watching yet and back off, now it stuck on the main menu even after I went into iTunes and marked it unwatched.

The only way I've found is to scrub to the last 5 seconds and let it run off. It's super annoying.

E: Wait. I misread. To "reset" a movie/TV show to Unwatched, just start from the beginning and let it run for a few seconds. I just tested it.

To remove it from the TV app "Next Up" list, select it with the remote and then long press the touch pad.

This inconsistency of what does what on the remote in Apple apps on the Apple TV is so loving frustrating.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 11, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

tvOS 11.2.5 just got kicked out.

A lot of security fixes, although Meltdown/Spectre aren't named in the docs.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208462

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is HBO Now known to be buggy? I've had it hang during a stream like it's buffering but it never starts again. A force quit fixes it but it can still be super frustrating, especially given the pricing.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

qirex posted:

Is HBO Now known to be buggy? I've had it hang during a stream like it's buffering but it never starts again. A force quit fixes it but it can still be super frustrating, especially given the pricing.

Early on I had trouble with it on the older Apple TV (pre-tvOS). With the 4K Apple TV, no problems at all.

How’s your internet connection? Distance from WiFi router?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dick Nipples posted:

Early on I had trouble with it on the older Apple TV (pre-tvOS). With the 4K Apple TV, no problems at all.

How’s your internet connection? Distance from WiFi router?

My connection is great, I never have buffering in any other apps even for 4k content and my Apple TV is connected via ethernet. It's very specifically a HBO problem. Maybe they didn't pay enough in bribespeering fees to Comcast or something.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

qirex posted:

My connection is great, I never have buffering in any other apps even for 4k content and my Apple TV is connected via ethernet. It's very specifically a HBO problem. Maybe they didn't pay enough in bribespeering fees to Comcast or something.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the bribes.

Century Link has poo poo peering with YouTube. I’ve got gigabit and I’m lucky to get 1080p.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

tvOS 11.2.5 just got kicked out.

A lot of security fixes, although Meltdown/Spectre aren't named in the docs.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208462

Given the nature of the exploit and how the AppleTV operates, I can't imagine any great urgency to address.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Is there a way to address the annoying misfeature that when some content (e.g., a TV show) is available from several sources, the Apple TV forces the second and all subsequent episodes from another source I didn't select?

What I mean is: Say I have bought all seasons of some show on iTunes. I start at the first episode, which plays from iTunes and wait for the second one to come on. Second episode is then streamed from HBO (or whatever) without asking me, but I want to watch all episodes from iTunes without having to stop and select iTunes again. (iTunes and HBO are just examples, it's also happening with different sources.)

I did read the first post of this thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

screamin and creamin posted:

Is there a way to address the annoying misfeature that when some content (e.g., a TV show) is available from several sources, the Apple TV forces the second and all subsequent episodes from another source I didn't select?

What I mean is: Say I have bought all seasons of some show on iTunes. I start at the first episode, which plays from iTunes and wait for the second one to come on. Second episode is then streamed from HBO (or whatever) without asking me, but I want to watch all episodes from iTunes without having to stop and select iTunes again. (iTunes and HBO are just examples, it's also happening with different sources.)

I did read the first post of this thread.

Are you talking from within the TV app? If so, stop using that garbage app. I finally gave up on it.

I just watch TV shows from within the TV Show App, Movies from the Movie app, and so on.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you talking from within the TV app? If so, stop using that garbage app. I finally gave up on it.

I just watch TV shows from within the TV Show App, Movies from the Movie app, and so on.

The TV app may have been involved, but I seem to remember that it also happened after I started a show in one app and then let the next episode come on without interrupting. I'll see if I can reproduce that. Anyway thanks, I'll try if it works better without the TV app.

It's weird to me anyway that the greatest challenge to most of these apps is to keep state between sessions so shows can be resumed exactly where I left them off and not 10 minutes back or without CC etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The TV app may have been involved, but I seem to remember that it also happened after I started a show in one app and then let the next episode come on without interrupting. I'll see if I can reproduce that. Anyway thanks, I'll try if it works better without the TV app.

It's weird to me anyway that the greatest challenge to most of these apps is to keep state between sessions so shows can be resumed exactly where I left them off and not 10 minutes back or without CC etc.

I have had none of those problems. I'm sorry that doesn't help you much, but I've never had an issue with random CC or not remembering my place in shows.

The main apps I use are TV Shows.app, Movies.app, Prime Video, Netflix and Infuse (for movies on my NAS). I use Channels for OTA and PSVue for streaming channels.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I have had none of those problems. I'm sorry that doesn't help you much, but I've never had an issue with random CC or not remembering my place in shows.

The main apps I use are TV Shows.app, Movies.app, Prime Video, Netflix and Infuse (for movies on my NAS). I use Channels for OTA and PSVue for streaming channels.

Well it all depends on the individual apps. HBO GO is unable to remember that subtitles were on, for example, and seems to only save the position in a show or movie every ten minutes or so. Come to think of it, the Amazon Prime app is about the most perfect for me. It remembers everything.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I get that Movies Anywhere made it easy to consolidate your films across platforms, but can anyone explain how exactly I can now watch all my Amazon and Vudu movies in the TV app on my iPad? Is that because I have an Apple TV with everything linked or would this be possible without the Apple TV?

And like my Mad Max Fury Road, purchased with a resold digital code for Vudu, has no extras when I watch it in the Vudu app, but if I watch it via iTunes I get the Black & Chrome edition options.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As you said, it consolidated your libraries so iTunes should show the same as the other platforms regardless of who you bought it from.

That is, if you’re not me and others who signed up in day one where iTunes doesn’t show any sign of being binded to the service but MA refuses to believes this.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I guess it just feels weird because like with Fury Road, iTunes charged more because it offered more, but now I get features I didn't actually pay for. I'm not arguing, I just don't quite understand it. It seems like a mistake on Apple's part.

Would this work without Movies Anywhere? Like if I just had the movie in the Vudu app. Would I have to watch it only in that app, or would Apple TV's universal search option still let me watch it in iTunes?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’ll probably be on an app per app basis. There’s no reason vudu shouldn’t support it.

Im guessing price is irrelevant, it simply flags a movie as owner and that’s it. I’m not sure the bigger companies really get anything out of it, but hey.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

As you said, it consolidated your libraries so iTunes should show the same as the other platforms regardless of who you bought it from.

Some studios don't participate, so you're not going to have the same library everywhere unless you don't have any movies from Paramount, MGM/UA and a few others.

EL BROMANCE posted:

That is, if you’re not me and others who signed up in day one where iTunes doesn’t show any sign of being binded to the service but MA refuses to believes this.

I don't know what that sentence is supposed to mean, but it works as advertised for me.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get that Movies Anywhere made it easy to consolidate your films across platforms, but can anyone explain how exactly I can now watch all my Amazon and Vudu movies in the TV app on my iPad? Is that because I have an Apple TV with everything linked or would this be possible without the Apple TV?

It has nothing to do with any hardware or software, it only links libraries. The TV app is only an interface that links to other apps, such as iTunes Movies.

Krispy Wafer posted:

And like my Mad Max Fury Road, purchased with a resold digital code for Vudu, has no extras when I watch it in the Vudu app, but if I watch it via iTunes I get the Black & Chrome edition options.

Movies Anywhere can't make Vudu not suck, or more politely phrased: You still get the extras and interface that each individual service chooses to give you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't know what that sentence is supposed to mean, but it works as advertised for me.

If you check the MoviesAnywhere thread someone else talks about it. For some reason even though we logged in with iTunes, it just doesn’t appear there eithere as a library or in the account management screens. The other dude eventually fixed it after hours of dealing with support, I don’t care enough to go through that. I’m guessing something was fixed afterwards so it just affects a handful of us.

Forgot about some studios not participating, I don’t really use it - I just took advantage of day one signups because hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just had the most frustrating experience with Apple TV and Netflix.

I finished an episode of something (Altered Carbon) and it autoplayed the next episode. Halfway through that one I decided I wanted to play the previous episode again so I tried but I really couldn’t. Netflix didn’t give me an option to play that particular episode “from the beginning” for whatever reason, and whenever I played the episode it just continued off where it left off: right before the credits start and with a “next episode will play in 5 seconds” timer counting down.

That timer doesn’t pause apparently, even if you press pause or activate Siri. It just counts down and then starts the next episode, and going back to episode select and playing the previous episode again just dumps you back to the 5 second timer. There was literally nothing I could do fast enough to rewind that episode before it kicked me to the next episode. I had to switch viewing profiles just to play that one god drat episode.