Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Is Metro one of those UK papers that just makes poo poo up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

No, metro is real news, but if it's the same as in Denmark it's a free newspaper for the morning commuters.

Very british to call him a gentleman "I went out in my white pick up truck and the gentleman was with a cow, he had his left hand interfering with the cow and his right hand on a part of his lower body, his shirt was covering it."

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/31/pensioner-80-pushed-entire-arm-cows-rectum-masturbated-7276619/

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

zakharov posted:

Is Metro one of those UK papers that just makes poo poo up?

Metro is a free newspaper worldwide, I know they also print in Boston for example. Don't think they make stuff up though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

As far as free newspapers go, Metro is okay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably better than all of the right-wing shitrags people pay money for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's probably better than all of the right-wing shitrags people pay money for.

I mean, it’s run by a right-wing shitrag company (the folks who do the Mail, I think), but while the reporting quality ain’t great, it’s not, like, fake news.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it’s run by a right-wing shitrag company (the folks who do the Mail, I think), but while the reporting quality ain’t great, it’s not, like, fake news.

It's like the Facebook page of an aunt that isn't a political loony.

Most of it is true, but it has a definitely click-baity bias.

http://metro.co.uk/

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

spog posted:

It's like the Facebook page of an aunt that isn't a political loony.

Most of it is true, but it has a definitely click-baity bias.

http://metro.co.uk/

I can see that slogan working: The Metro - Most Of It Is True

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The one thing I miss about The Metro in the US, or at least in my area, is that they used to have at least one unintentionally hilarious or completely bizarre headline one the side bar of the front page. It was really the best possible way to start my day. The one that always sticks out in my mind is "One killed in outdoor tennis court explosion"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

https://gizmodo.com/nigel-the-bird-found-dead-next-to-the-concrete-partner-1822655398

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Dead Goose Falls From Sky, Knocks Hunter Unconscious

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/goose-knocks-hunter-unconscious/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:smithfrog:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Better headline: Nigel, the world's loneliest bird, dies next to the concrete decoy he loved

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Let's remember that birds can be goons too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jojoinnit posted:

Let's remember that birds can be goons too.

quote:

When the three birds first arrived Bell told the New Zealand Press Reader that Nigel “may be a weirdo” and that the other birds probably didn’t want to have anything to do with him.

“He definitely has some sort of fetish,” Bell said of Nigel’s futile attempt to woo his concrete partner. “It’s tragic.”

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

chitoryu12 posted:

When the three birds first arrived Bell told the New Zealand Press Reader that Nigel “may be a weirdo” and that the other birds probably didn’t want to have anything to do with him.

“He definitely has some sort of fetish,” Bell said of Nigel’s futile attempt to woo his concrete partner. “It’s tragic.”

We lost a brother today. RIP Nigel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
What is the appropriate libation?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Grey Goose.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was thinking Famous Grouse.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ultrafilter posted:

I was thinking Famous Grouse.

both, to be safe

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mix them together in honor of The Room and its scotchka, a third example of a bizarre goon.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Please! First or third, who knows?
Let us number goons. We have been numbered enough, possibly

Or just like 5 3 lol

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Platystemon posted:

Narragannet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SpacePig posted:

The one thing I miss about The Metro in the US, or at least in my area, is that they used to have at least one unintentionally hilarious or completely bizarre headline one the side bar of the front page. It was really the best possible way to start my day. The one that always sticks out in my mind is "One killed in outdoor tennis court explosion"
There used to be a free newspaper in Melbourne called MX, and the only stuff I ever read in it were the letters, which were like a weird offline internet comment thread - you'd get people responding to each other, back and forth, for days - and the missed connections section, which always came across as incredibly creepy and desperate. One woman I worked with at the time recognised herself described in there one time and actually changed the way she travelled to and from work because of it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya im actually a lil confused cause i thought the danish "metroXpress" was the same as the UK metro?

no doubt its a lovely paper but the danish one has literally opened up on some govt idiocy enough that actual dailies quote them

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTPuZYVuGd0

That performance is presidential.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

There used to be a free newspaper in Melbourne called MX, and the only stuff I ever read in it were the letters, which were like a weird offline internet comment thread - you'd get people responding to each other, back and forth, for days - and the missed connections section, which always came across as incredibly creepy and desperate. One woman I worked with at the time recognised herself described in there one time and actually changed the way she travelled to and from work because of it.

Why, what did it say?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
the best missed connection will in my heart always be the “you fart like a clydesdale” one

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd be flattered if I saw a missed connection talking about being irresistibly attracted to the scruffy guy with the nerd glasses on the train last Friday, but for some reason it hasn't happened yet

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phlegmish posted:

Why, what did it say?
I don't think it was anything particularly bad, just the idea that some weirdo was paying that much attention to her that he'd made note of seeing her taking the same train regularly. It's pretty creepy to think that someone is watching you like that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/959271685198417920

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

"And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for those meddling kids!"

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Feb 3, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I have eaten at that pizza place! It's not great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

I have eaten at that pizza place! It's not great.

Well, I hear it's got new management so maybe it's better?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Copy Editors live for these moments.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm just going to assume that Jeremy is named after Jeremy Corbyn because of his left aligning anatomy and make that story perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That's a fair cop!

Edit:

Lana Del Rey fan arrested for attempted kidnapping and stalking before concert
:yikes:

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 08:40 on Feb 4, 2018