Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know how some media will reference pop fiction and just let it pass as a brief mention or quote?

Ready Player One will instead slam the brakes on the story to explain the premise, scene, personal thoughts and diatribe about every. Single. Thing it references across multiple pages. And given the book's premise, that happens often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It sounds like a pop culture version of that one 'If the modern day was written like a science fiction story' satire.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know how some media will reference pop fiction and just let it pass as a brief mention or quote?

Ready Player One will instead slam the brakes on the story to explain the premise, scene, personal thoughts and diatribe about every. Single. Thing it references across multiple pages. And given the book's premise, that happens often.
In case anyone thinks this is an exaggeration:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

An RP1 film done more like the novelisation of Better Than Life could be good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know how some posters will reference pop fiction and just let it pass as a brief mention or quote?

Ready Player One haters will instead slam the brakes on the thread to explain the misogyny, shallowness, naivete and diatribe about every. Single. Thing it references across multiple pages. And given the poster's obsession with sharing opinions, that happens often.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mind the walrus posted:

On the plus side I now finally know what that one line in Ferris Bueller that I could never make out was. Only the meek get pinched :aaaaa:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mind the walrus posted:

Irony.gif

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I haven't read RP1, but is it a satire?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

anatomi posted:

It is distressingly, depressingly, disgustingly sincere. Dude writes a loving dystopia as bad as anything I've ever read, and he LOVES it, he loves the lovely world where everyone lives in garbage and retreats to Second Life to jerk off to Pac-Man.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

welp

ive wasted my life

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

anatomi posted:

This article about Ready Player One sums it up pretty well.

quote:

Nearly every one of Ready Player One’s faults is a direct result of Cline’s authorial narcissism. The writing process appears to have begun with the question: What if the entire world revolved around me, and the specific video games and movies I like? The rest was assembled around that essential core. Cline is far from the first author to write a self-insert wish fulfillment narrative, but he may be the first to write one this lazy and self-indulgent. To place oneself in the character of Wade Watts, an 18-year-old video game trivia knower, requires no imagined heroism or personal growth. It simply constructs a world around the reader, where his comfort zone, his passively acquired knowledge of retro video games and Star Wars, is enough to effortlessly make him a Great Man of History. A fantasy this mundane is barely a fantasy at all — just a desire to be unjustly rewarded for mediocrity. And, thanks to Steven Spielberg, Cline’s mediocrity has been rewarded beyond his wildest dreams.

That's pretty much it.

There is more in the article but the whole thing is basically one big cluster-gently caress.

Some Pinko Commie has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Feb 2, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So where did this loser protagonist for RP1 even get the money to buy all the media he was consuming?

How did he get the money to live in his hobo tower*?

* I've only seen the trailer. It looked stupid. Like someone spent $100million on a Family Guy episode.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Like someone spent $100million on a Family Guy episode.

That's pretty much exactly what it is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So it's like TRON where they're like "They're gonna make you play video games" and the dude's like :smug:

Alternatively,

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Feb 2, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That's pretty much it.

There is more in the article but the whole thing is basically one big cluster-gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McbdzzqVtDA

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

An RP1 film done more like the novelisation of Better Than Life could be good.
An RP1 film done in a manner similar to Starship Troopers (e.g: break down everything about the original and reconstitute it in a vicious, mean-spirited, sarcastic takedown so uncompromising many people don't even get that it's a takedown) would be amazing. Media doesn't always have to have a "good message," but when it's the epitome of an entire generation's worst artistic tendencies that's about the only thing you can do to redeem it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life and all that.

That’s about ugly girls, though. That makes it pretty much the opposite of what the photo says, unless the guy is even uglier.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is my favorite put-down of RP1 so far

quote:

Maybe that’s the seductive—and to those who embrace it—profound appeal of a story like Ready Player One, built on the bones of hundreds of others: that somehow we can construct a scavenger hunt of narrative human significance from everything we’ve already consumed, something every bit as spiritual and whole as a more rigorous study and embrace of the world as it is. Maybe there is a mechanism by which we can collect enough skill and armament and enchantment to ineffably cohere as flesh and spirit, something more sublime than meat networked and spasming with electricity.

Cline just hasn’t watched the movie that explains that part yet, and it’s not his fault. Nobody has.

That's the one silver lining of turds like this. I have the perfect balancing point between "punching up" and "punching down" to take potshots at whenever I'm bored for the next year.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

So it's like TRON where they're like "They're gonna make you play video games" and the dude's like :smug:

Alternatively,

It's closer to the latter since the plot revolves around an ingame scavanger hunt with the prize being the recently deceased creator of not-Second Life's estate

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Anti-fans are worse

lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That’s about ugly girls, though. That makes it pretty much the opposite of what the photo says, unless the guy is even uglier.

Yeah well, I couldn't think of a synonym for "life" that rhymes with "husband" to redo the lyrics.

Plus, the true road to happiness is both people being exactly as ugly as each other.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mind the walrus posted:

This is my favorite put-down of RP1 so far

That's the one silver lining of turds like this. I have the perfect balancing point between "punching up" and "punching down" to take potshots at whenever I'm bored for the next year.

I'm starting to get really hypersensitive to anything whose premise boils down to "you, the unremarkable mainstream dude in the target audience, are the coolest person in the world so sit back to have your ego stroked for ninety minutes"

I mean it's good box office policy but it sure does entrench the ol' status quo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mind the walrus posted:

Woah, woah, no-no-no, friend.

Those are brief references allowed to be mentioned and passed by. I'm talking about the in-depth diatribes on specific scenes and quotes that just go on and on about them specifically. The ones that your mind just glosses over because you don't loving care at all because you've seen that film or game. The ones everyone has at least the basic knowledge of and we'd really just love it if the narration would move the gently caress on.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

anatomi posted:

Whenever you ask yourself this question, remind yourself that this is (unironically) his car:

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Whenever you ask yourself this question, remind yourself that this is (unironically) his car:

That dude makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brewmaster posted:

just imagine that picture blown up to billboard size, directly outside your window centered on his face, when reading the entire chapter in the book about masturbation and having sex with a fuckdoll robot

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This car is also in the book.
The book would make a lot more sense if the protagonist was 10.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Data Graham posted:

I'm starting to get really hypersensitive to anything whose premise boils down to "you, the unremarkable mainstream dude in the target audience, are the coolest person in the world so sit back to have your ego stroked for ninety minutes"

I mean it's good box office policy but it sure does entrench the ol' status quo.

You gotta read this then:

Wanted, Starring Angelina Jolie, Is The Greatest Movie Of Our Generation

quote:

1. Subtext: "You are special."

By "subtext," I of course mean "subtitle." While to the great unwashed it appears that you are a lowly account manager in a cubicle with a cheating girlfriend and no self-respect, in fact you are much, much more than that, like, for example, a mystical assassin with the ability to shoot curveball bullets.

Importantly, your specialness comes not from effort, work, emotion, intellect, perseverance, or concentration, but from just being you-- in this case, being from the lineage of a 1000 years of special people. All you had to do is get born! Thanks feudalism!

Nothing in a movie speaks to a viewer more than actually speaking to a viewer, and that's what this movie does. As it ends, Wesley looks up from his rifle scope, turns to the camera and asks, "This is me taking back control of my life. What the gently caress have you done lately?" Well? "Not killing people" is, of course, a loser's answer, so don't pick it. Correct answers include, "waiting for my powers to kick in" and "not learning jujitsu because I'll be handed those skills all at once when they are necessary" and "waiting for Angelina to swing buy with a pizza" and "masturbating."

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I knew fuckall about RP1 before this tangent, but now, the only pop culture it reminds me of is AM's opening monologue in I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

OutOfPrint has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Feb 2, 2018

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

This car is also in the book.
The book would make a lot more sense if the protagonist was 10.
Ah yes, quoted here:

quote:

The DeLorean came outfitted with a (nonfunctioning) flux capacitor, but I’d made several additions to its equipment and appearance. First, I’d installed an artificially intelligent onboard computer named KITT (purchased in an online auction) into the dashboard, along with a matching red Knight Rider scanner just above the DeLorean’s grill. Then I’d outfitted the car with an oscillation overthruster, a device that allowed it to travel through solid matter. Finally, to complete my ‘80s super-vehicle theme, I’d slapped a Ghostbusters logo on each of the DeLorean’s gull-wing doors, then added personalized plates that read ECTO-88.

Relevance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93VlRnRPk9k

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brewmaster posted:

Aside from his looks alone, he appears to be outside of what looks like a high school.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aside from his looks alone, he appears to be outside of what looks like a high school.

Gonna go off on a limb and guess it's that one high school that's been used in a lot of movies

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Spielberg is doing the film right?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That Works posted:

Spielberg is doing the film right?

It’s actually his non union Mexican equivalent

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

I'll have what he's having.

It makes me really mad that this makes me mad. It really shouldn't bother me. But it bothers the absolute hell out of me.

e:
Forgot for a minute that this was in this thread:

I what people are able to do with this Botnik thing, and this is very excellent.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or "being offered the red pill"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nutted but she still suckin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

They must be cheating with that one, but I don't care, and I bet you could get the actors to do a dramatic reading.

It's like Picard went senile, Riker inevitably completely stopped giving a poo poo, and Worf left a hologram duplicate of himself when he left for Deep Space Nine and no one noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That's pretty much it.

The fantasy of the jobless thank