Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Zogo posted:

Computer monitors, CFLs/LEDs, newer TVS, smart phones, fluorescent lights etc.

Yeah basically any of the bright screen stuff that's making everybody go blind early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Niwrad posted:

I'm curious to see what happens with Rose after this season. Never got the impression he loved playing basketball. It feels like the only reason he's still playing is because he's got that giant Adidas contract to honor. But I can't see any team picking him up after this (although him going to China to play would be interesting).

I know he gets tossed around in those "what if" scenarios. But I still wonder if he'd really have been that good if he stayed healthy. The game kind of changed and I think he would have struggled regardless.

He was so freaking athletic and also a decent defender. I think he'd still have been drat good if he had enough shooters around him. Not Steph or Harden, but still pretty scary.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Derrick Rose Engagement Protocol:
code:

knees = ['left', 'right']
while proposing:
  knee = random.randint (0, len(knees)-1)
  if isKneeGood(knee):
    getDownOnKnee(knee)
    propose()
    break
  else:
    # this knee doesn't work, try again with another one
    continue

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 2, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

I'm curious to see what happens with Rose after this season. Never got the impression he loved playing basketball. It feels like the only reason he's still playing is because he's got that giant Adidas contract to honor. But I can't see any team picking him up after this (although him going to China to play would be interesting).

I know he gets tossed around in those "what if" scenarios. But I still wonder if he'd really have been that good if he stayed healthy. The game kind of changed and I think he would have struggled regardless.

What?

Rose loved the poo poo out of basketball. having to do like 4 injury rehabs in 5 years would probably break most anyone. That dude by all reports was a basketball robot, and is why he and Thibs got along so well from the start. They both only care about Basketball...

Now take that away from him with tons of injuries. Nowadays I dunno how much he loves the game, but yeah..

And yes, If wasn't constantly working on Rehabbing he probably would have had time to add other stuff to his game.
That MVP and the year after he was shooting fairly respectable from 3, and had been getting better.

Like dude had loving 4 loving knee injuries in 5 years. It's kinda insane to say he wouldn't have gotten better had he stayed healthy.

Also John Wall kinda still exists in this NBA.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 2, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He still has to hit the T Mac Spurs part of his career by joining the Spurs

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

What?

Rose loved the poo poo out of basketball. having to do like 4 injury rehabs in 5 years would probably break most anyone. That dude by all reports was a basketball robot, and is why he and Thibs got along so well from the start. They both only care about Basketball...

Now take that away from him with tons of injuries. Nowadays I dunno how much he loves the game, but yeah..

And yes, If wasn't constantly working on Rehabbing he probably would have had time to add other stuff to his game.
That MVP and the year after he was shooting fairly respectable from 3, and had been getting better.

Like dude had loving 4 loving knee injuries in 5 years. It's kinda insane to say he wouldn't have gotten better had he stayed healthy.

He was also much better than Wall has ever been

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I love the mother loving NBA

https://twitter.com/OG_ManTrain/status/959305566593019905

He's wearing the PG13s

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol the Nuggets got away with so much illegal poo poo on that last play.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I believe GSW are, in fact, on pace for a historically low goaltendings committed %, while leading the league in shots blocked. At least as of a few weeks ago.

probably because javale barely plays anymore, lol

WhyteRyce posted:

The Twin Towers line-up worked in spite of the era of small-ball because Cousins and Davis are some of the best basketball players on the planet. Monroe is significantly less so

but also anthony davis reportedly really doesn't like playing center for some reason so if you're the pelicans and simultaneously trying to stay in contention for the playoffs and keep davis happy and on the team long-term at all costs, signing monroe on the cheap still makes sense

even if monroe and mirotic aren't nearly as good as boogie, gentry can probably find some workable lineups with each of them alongside davis, and hopefully stagger AD's minutes a little more as well. but if they can't find another respectable guard jrue holiday's probably gonna be pretty worn down by the playoffs, assuming they still make it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Monroe makes a lot of sense for a cheap rental this season for New Orleans. Still stay in the playoff hunt and Monroe gets lots of minutes for his next contract hunt. Seems like a perfect situation for both unless Monroe really wants to play off the bench of a contender.

Mirotic is kinda funny because New Orleans refuses to get wing players. "I don't know why we aren't contending, can you try getting more bigs and point guards?"

Dexo posted:

DeRozan is an all-star starter and got MVP votes last year, and that seems like a pretty comparable trajectory as well as far as having those skills age into your later 20s.

Rose once said "I don't want to wreck my body by the time I'm 40" like a human being would when dealing with injuries and Chicago Sports Journalism is Chicago Sports Journalism so that gets reported that Rose doesn't have a winners mindset or whatever. The dude basically lived in the gym. Or is this still the Reggie Rose thing from his first injury where people were pissed he took 12 months to rehab an ACL like literally every basketball player who has an ACL tear?

Lockback fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 2, 2018

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
its because of his blank face after winning that one game

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Blake looked good on Detroit

I know they were playing a bad team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How the gently caress is so much footage of Fultz practicing getting out.

Why are the 76ers commenting about him so much?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

They keep getting asked questions during required media interviews.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/JamesMargariti/status/959295759924383745

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

How the gently caress is so much footage of Fultz practicing getting out.

He's with the team and does shootarounds and warmups

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What is Steve salty about? The little hop-step before the shot?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

He shot 33.2% and 31.2% in those years, respectively.

I suppose "he was getting better" is accurate though since the years before that were 26.7 and 22.2

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Those wolves city jerseys look so much better on-court that on-mannequin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ble10hpCvdU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Noctone posted:

lol the Nuggets got away with so much illegal poo poo on that last play.

SERVES OKC RIGHT

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Three 275 pound cops jumping on your neck and back

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

He shot 33.2% and 31.2% in those years, respectively.

I suppose "he was getting better" is accurate though since the years before that were 26.7 and 22.2

During that time 35% was generally considered the line for "good shooter" so 31-33 would be considered respectable. And the difference between a 33% and a 36% shooter for a guy shooting 5 times a game is the difference of only 1 made 3 every 7 games, so it's not like the line between "good" and "bad" is really fine or anything.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

Blake looked good on Detroit

I know they were playing a bad team.

We were -21 without him on the floor which makes the win against Cleveland even funnier

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
That nerd who got in Russell's face probably paid 45 dollars for his courtside seat on seatgeek.com promo code SAGOON

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I enjoyed Russs grab of the large male chest area

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

During that time 35% was generally considered the line for "good shooter" so 31-33 would be considered respectable.

I'm not sure I agree with this. For me the line for being considered a good 3 point shooter is entirely mathematical and not graded on a curve. Just because nearly the entire league wasn't good at three point shooting doesn't suddenly make a bad shooter respectable. Does your three point shooting help your team? I don't think his did, so I don't think he was respectable.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hes also an mvp thief which isnt a respectable vocation either

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

SERVES OKC RIGHT

Okc has never done anything wrong though so why you say this

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this. For me the line for being considered a good 3 point shooter is entirely mathematical and not graded on a curve. Just because nearly the entire league wasn't good at three point shooting doesn't suddenly make a bad shooter respectable. Does your three point shooting help your team? I don't think his did, so I don't think he was respectable.

It totally did though
Him hitting 3's at that clip meant teams had to actually respect him at the 3 point line. 33% was him shooting well enough allowed him and the team to have more space to operate.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

It totally did though
Him hitting 3's at that clip meant teams had to actually respect him at the 3 point line. 33% was him shooting well enough allowed him and the team to have more space to operate.

If ESPN wasn't a bunch of cheapskates we could still get the gravity stat, all you need is to be thought of as a shooter and it doesn't matter what your % is. Obviously this only has a half life of a certain length. But players who develop 3's can make them at like 39% for a season and generate no gravity because nobody thinks of them as a shooter. Perception affects reality . Ball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

He was like the only reliable offensive player on a 60+ win team so I am fairly confident nearly everything he did on offense was helping. The team went from the 5th best offense in the league to the 23rd when he got hurt, and 28th the year after that. And don't you dare disparage NateRob.

This "Derrick Rose Was Actually Never Good" narrative is truly the dumbest thing. From an advanced stats perspective his impact on the team was huge, and trying to frame his 3pt shooting in today's context to say he wasn't helping his team is really stretching the data to try to fit a narrative.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

He was like the only reliable offensive player on a 60+ win team so I am fairly confident nearly everything he did on offense was helping. The team went from the 5th best offense in the league to the 23rd when he got hurt, and 28th the year after that. And don't you dare disparage NateRob.

This "Derrick Rose Was Actually Never Good" narrative is truly the dumbest thing. From an advanced stats perspective his impact on the team was huge, and trying to frame his 3pt shooting in today's context to say he wasn't helping his team is really stretching the data to try to fit a narrative.

Derrick Rose was good at lots of things but three point shooting was not one of them. It's not a coincidence that he suddenly became a much more efficient player last year (without a significant usage drop, either) when he stopped shooting threes. Hell, I was even saying this offseason that I wouldn't mind him as a 6th man type guy to just come volume score off the bench if he was willing to accept that role.

Dejan Bimble posted:

If ESPN wasn't a bunch of cheapskates we could still get the gravity stat, all you need is to be thought of as a shooter and it doesn't matter what your % is. Obviously this only has a half life of a certain length. But players who develop 3's can make them at like 39% for a season and generate no gravity because nobody thinks of them as a shooter. Perception affects reality . Ball

This is a good point though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also good: KAT

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/959259620467531777

Bonus N/V: Before the game I saw a stat that said the Wolves were 4-4 in games where he has 9 FGA or less and 28-18 (now 29-18) in games where he had 10 FGA or more. I call this "The Wiggins Effect."

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22292465/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-kevin-durant-steph-curry-pick-rolls-nba

quote:

[...]

10. Cheering Omer Asik
This was the only happy subplot to DeMarcus Cousins' devastating injury -- a seismic event that could alter Cousins' career and tilt the axis of the league.

The Pelicans suddenly needed Asik again after he missed time due to Crohn's disease, and when he took the floor, New Orleans fans showered him with what seemed like genuine encouragement. They cheered every little thing -- every basket, every rebound, every free throw -- and groaned with the sorrow of nervous Little League parents when he missed chippies. They knew what he had gone through, how low he sunk, and wanted him to rise out of it. (I checked with several folks who attended recent games, and they agree the cheers were sincere -- and not sarcastic.)

It's easy to forget now, but Asik was once a good player -- so good, the Rockets started the bidding for him at three first-round picks. (Spoiler: They did not get three first-round picks.) He set cement-wall screens, rolled to the hoop, and dished canny interior passes. He barricaded the rim, and rebounded everything.

Then he got paid, and became both a punchline and the target of ire from fans who (understandably) grew frustrated with an unproductive oaf clogging their favorite team's cap sheet. Before September, no one really knew what was going on with Asik -- only that he was ill, and not playing.

When he first came back in December, Asik looked alarmingly unready -- almost wobbly on his feet. He was no longer an NBA player.

He has shown glimpses in the past week of the player he used to be. It would be a wonderful story if he got there.

:unsmith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Omer is coming home to regain the throne.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Dexo posted:

Omer is coming home to regain the throne.

I love the goofy big man. Sadly, the only person whose passes he could reliably catch and finish on were that fucker Eric Gordon's.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think it's kinda ridiculous that there's even that many games that KAT shot less than 10 shots. He's one of the best offensive players in the game, and at worst the 2nd best player on the team.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I like "The Vegas Raptors"

did somebody call me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

I think it's kinda ridiculous that there's even that many games that KAT shot less than 10 shots. He's one of the best offensive players in the game, and at worst the 2nd best player on the team.

Here's a link to the games if you're curious.

Wiggins isn't really shooting terribly in most of those games, even though he's chucking in most of them. One of them is the "Jeff Teague what are you doing" game and two are games against the Pels where KAT can't stay on the floor because of fouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ghost Dog posted:

hes also an mvp thief which isnt a respectable vocation either

Steals are a valuable statistic

• Locked thread