Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

so literally not an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JoeCL posted:

Also I missed it did we talk about how the Nats signed Miguel Montero to a minor league contract after getting him cut from the Cubs last year? I know the Nats are desperate for any sort of cheap catching help, but lol you literally got him fired last year! You know he's bad!

He got DFA'd because he sandbagged Arrieta to reporters. Theo was apparently livid and apparently made the decision to cut him on the spot.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

so literally not an option

Saying "We'll just do it anyway" so the players will agree to the proposal to hold the clock off for one year and then the owners can point back and say "But the players agreed"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Saying "We'll just do it anyway" so the players will agree to the proposal to hold the clock off for one year and then the owners can point back and say "But the players agreed"

Manfred is impressively scummy. But Clark is going to eat this up like it's Manna from heaven and talk about ensuring that the long history of collaboration and cooperation between the MLBPA and the owners continues and their relationship grows better every day, as evidenced by this deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JoeCL posted:

The years on a contract like this are basically to boost the overall value of the contract, everybody knows Darvish isn't gonna be worth 27.5m in 7 years. Darvish wants the extra guaranteed money way more than the extra years. The past few years are basically supposed to be bad. Honestly this is another piece of the "the market is broken" argument, these contracts don't really make that much sense but they were the norm until recently and the market is sort of built around them. If teams aren't willing to do this then players are going to lose a lot of revenue relative to what the owners are getting.

Oh I know, and to be fair I totally get why Cobb/Arrieta/Darvish are angling for more years since otherwise they'd end up stuck with their contracts running out in their mid 30's with little hope of signing another big deal. I just don't think they're going to get them, and I don't blame the Cubs for not wanting to ink an expensive contract with a pitcher that will last beyond when their young core hits free agency.

quote:

Also I missed it did we talk about how the Nats signed Miguel Montero to a minor league contract after getting him cut from the Cubs last year? I know the Nats are desperate for any sort of cheap catching help, but lol you literally got him fired last year! You know he's bad!

:lol: nice. I legit hope Montero does well, he had a disaster of a game and said some poo poo in the heat of the moment that got him cut, but otherwise he seems like an incredibly good dude.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So if the union doesnt approve something, the owners can implement it anyway?

What retarded rear end CBA did the union sign?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What retarded rear end CBA did the union sign?

One that the owners wrote for them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666 posted:

Driveline are the ones who the "one degree on delivery is one foot at the plate" bit came from, and even they don't really have a satisfactory answer for how to refine command aside from repetition of a proper throwing motion, pretty much.

I think most pitchers can probably only really think in terms of high/low and inside/outside, and even guys who really an hit quadrants are working on a zone visualized more like this:

than the K-Zone or anything. (Image from the Driveline article.)

Also while I'm posting pictures of theoretical strike zones in different counts, every single person who reads this thread needs to read this article from Baseball Prospectus about the very real problems between us an robo-umpires.

quote:

Even if you had optical detection and software to automatically set the top and bottom of the strike zone, we have the same issues with the accuracy and tolerance of that technology as we do with the radar systems, as well as potential for hacking or tampering to favor one team or another. That of course is if a machine setting of the zone were even feasible; it’s unlikely that a machine would be able to accurately track the top/bottom of the zone in real time as a batter moved in the box. There would also be the likelihood that batters would develop ways to game the optical top/bottom zone detection system much like catchers have developed techniques for pitch framing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The robo-ump solution to the top-bottom of the zone seems clear to me. You set it based on some standard of player measurements, not active tracking of their body as they stand in the box. But that is a minor problem compared to the other hurdles.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Good Dog posted:

All those guys are better than Darvish

Scherzer > Darvish > Price/Greinke/Lester, IMO

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

The robo-ump solution to the top-bottom of the zone seems clear to me. You set it based on some standard of player measurements, not active tracking of their body as they stand in the box. But that is a minor problem compared to the other hurdles.

Yeah, that's not the most demonstrative pull quote, but it hints at the fact that you need to change some very foundational baseball rules (literally "What is the strike zone") before you can really even consider going to a robo-ump behind the plate.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

Also while I'm posting pictures of theoretical strike zones in different counts, every single person who reads this thread needs to read this article from Baseball Prospectus about the very real problems between us an robo-umpires.

Look forward to people hacking the ump.exe

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Timby posted:

He got DFA'd because he sandbagged Arrieta to reporters. Theo was apparently livid and apparently made the decision to cut him on the spot.

It sounds funnier my way :colbert:.

Sydin posted:

:lol: nice. I legit hope Montero does well, he had a disaster of a game and said some poo poo in the heat of the moment that got him cut, but otherwise he seems like an incredibly good dude.

He was a disaster as a hitter with the Blue Jays after he left the Cubs last year but he's not really that far out from being an effective hitter. Trying to start fresh might do him some good. And hey, he doesn't have to try to throw out Trea Turner any more! Its probably not a bad reclamation project, but my gut reaction to the signing was "lol really?"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I recall an interview with Pedro where he described good control as hitting a target the size of a playing card. Probably BS but the image stuck with me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, that's not the most demonstrative pull quote, but it hints at the fact that you need to change some very foundational baseball rules (literally "What is the strike zone") before you can really even consider going to a robo-ump behind the plate.
For sure, you have to settle on what the zone is. Because right now the zone is defined by vague as hell language interpreted through flawed human perception, and it changes significantly with the count and handedness of the batter.

But if the zone is defined rigorously enough to use a machine to call it, then it can be tweaked and adjusted over time for desired results with much better resolution than we have currently.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JoeCL posted:

It sounds funnier my way :colbert:.

He was a disaster as a hitter with the Blue Jays after he left the Cubs last year but he's not really that far out from being an effective hitter. Trying to start fresh might do him some good. And hey, he doesn't have to try to throw out Trea Turner any more! Its probably not a bad reclamation project, but my gut reaction to the signing was "lol really?"

He was a great hitter in 2015/early 2016 but then he got injured and fell off a cliff for the rest of the year (that G7 WS hit and G1 NLCS salami, though :swoon:) Everybody was predicting a huge bounceback year for him in 2017 based on his peripherals, but on top of still not really being able to hit he also lost what little ability he'd had to throw out base runners, which was a bad combo with Arrieta who's by the metrics one of the worst in the league at holding runners. He's also a very good pitch framer. All in all not a bad lottery ticket for the Nats to gamble on.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I played 1 year in an amateur league, and had a guy who was drafted by the Rays out of HS on my team. Granted it was like the super late rounds, and he chose to go to college instead, but instead ended up getting a tumor in his leg. The surgery to remove it developed into a blood clot complication so he couldn't play in college, effectively ruining his career. Dude threw a 1 hitter for us, and all of his pitches were just under 80mph. All of his throws had movement. I'd play catch with him and the ball would always snap at the last second, and I'd whiff on catching the ball since I wasn't used to it.

Despite all his talent, his work ethic was super questionable, even for a amateur league. He batted and was really good, but if he drove them into a corner, he wouldn't try for extra bases (might have been a result of his leg surgery but that was 10 years ago), and if we pulled him out of a game early, he would pack up his stuff and leave.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Do any of you know if there's somewhere with a list of the length of every game for a given season? I know where to find the average length per year/team, etc. but not individual games.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I recall an interview with Pedro where he described good control as hitting a target the size of a playing card. Probably BS but the image stuck with me.

Maybe he meant any part of the ball hitting any part of the card. That’s pretty generous and falls into the gray area of corner nibbling pretty well I think.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'm buying a Rockies hat and naming them my 2018 NL team if they record video of Dinger's eyes creepily moving around in extreme closeup and play it during key opposing at bats.

I know this was from yesterday, but:

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

will_colorado posted:

A rotating wheel. Turning an axle. Grinding. Bolthead. Linear gearbox. Falling sky. Seven holy stakes. A docked ship. A portal to another world. A thin rope tied to a thick rope. A torn harness. Parabolic gearbox. Expanding universe. Time controlled by slipping cogwheels. Existence of God. Swimming with open water in all directions. Drowning. A prayer written in blood. A prayer written in time-devouring snakes with human eyes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Do any of you know if there's somewhere with a list of the length of every game for a given season? I know where to find the average length per year/team, etc. but not individual games.
Game lengths are listed on bref pages for individual games like this (under "Other Info"), but I don't know if they're tabulated anywhere.

edit: Team game-by-bame schedule tables for each season have time of game as one of the columns.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Miguel will forever be known as the guy who hit the most important insurance run in Cubs history.

Cue Pat Hughes insurance plug.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Game lengths are listed on bref pages for individual games like this (under "Other Info"), but I don't know if they're tabulated anywhere.

edit: Team game-by-bame schedule tables for each season have time of game as one of the columns.

Awesome, thanks.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Miguel will forever be known as the guy who hit the most important insurance run in Cubs history.

Cue Pat Hughes insurance plug.

the fucken grand slam

miggy owns

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

A large medical group in the Ohio Valley area has pulled its advertising from Nutting’s newspapers over his bad ownership of the Pirates.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Here’s the Post Gazette story on that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

can someone post this so I don't have to turn off adblock

e: vvvvv thanks friend vvvvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 2, 2018

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

can someone post this so I don't have to turn off adblock

quote:

Pirates owner Bob Nutting has been under fire from some fans since the team traded outfielder Andrew McCutchen to the San Francisco Giants last month. Now his family’s core business is taking a hit, too.

Weirton Medical Center, based in West Virginia, announced Thursday that it is pulling advertising from three publications owned by Ogden Newspapers over “the failure of the Pirates to craft a deal to keep Andrew McCutchen a Pirate.” Nutting is Ogden’s CEO.

“We are doing this not to hurt our friends and colleagues working at these newspapers, but to send a message to the Nutting family that we believe in community,” the company said in a news release. “We hope this gesture reminds you of the importance of community. Legions of Pirates fans may not own the ball club, but we certainly feel a sense of ownership too.”

WMC spokesman Kelli McCoy said in an email the boycott will apply to the Weirton Daily Times in West Virginia as well as the (Steubenville) Herald-Star and East Liverpool Review in eastern Ohio.

McCoy said those newspapers traditionally publish full-page ads from WMC on Sundays, plus extra advertising to promote doctors’ offices and service lines during the week. The news release said that business makes WMC one of the largest, if not the largest, advertisers for Ogden Newspapers in the region.

Not for now, though. McCoy said that while the suspension is temporary, WMC hasn’t yet decided when it will reinstate its ads.

The Pirates could not be immediately reached for comment.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This seems... significant

https://twitter.com/bvanwagenen/status/959461867990155265

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"Alpha males" made me think it was a joke

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah that line was bad.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i think the general rule is if you unironically use the phrase "alpha male" in a piece of negotiation, you've lost the negotiation

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I rolled my eyes real hard at that line.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

will_colorado posted:

https://twitter.com/psaundersdp/status/959464897502355456

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bawfuls posted:

Yeah that line was bad.

"We need a word-- maybe a phrase-- that describes our players as what they are: the best of the best."

"What about 'Alpha Males'?"

"Perfect! Just like lions! I bet no one's ever thought of that before! *pushes send*"

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

I was just about to post this. Holland should fire his agent into the sun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's an agent who's pissed that he isn't getting his commissions.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Timby posted:

It's an agent who's pissed that he isn't getting his commissions.

I was gonna ask who Brodie Van Wagenen even was. This is embarrassing and the players union is probably going to be pissed at him for releasing it.

though I guess that would require the union to have even a single clue about what's going on at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

will_colorado posted:

I was just about to post this. Holland should fire his agent into the sun.

Pretty much. I'd like to think Holland was like "Naw, you can do better." and then 5mins later it was announced that the Rockies signed Davis.

• Locked thread