Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

The problem with trademarks is that if one doesn't defend it, it could easily be considered no longer trademarked. Not saying I'm defending the aggressiveness, but that's why they do it.

It's this, yeah. You have to actively fight to maintain trademarks. It's why Texas A&M has to go nuts on anyone else that uses "12th Man".

gently caress Nassar but that's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Not feeling any sympathy for "we could lose a trademark" vs "countless more people could be victimized"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't think the two really have anything to do with each other beyond just making a glib observation about priorities.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just want to say it’s good that at least someone other than Nassar is getting off on this scandal.

Did you even read the column?

Basically, four things that caused the entire situation.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
His only problem was that he talked about going after Nassar before charging him. The officers were ready to grab him. Could've gotten a good swing or two in if he had that extra second.

https://twitter.com/Local4News/status/959432226214735872

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oePcYRixyOk

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Nah better for everyone he doesn't get a swing in there. Racking up an assault charge doesn't unmolest your daughters.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also not to paint with broad strokes, but it's safe to assume that a man with multiple daughters in high-level gymnastics is probably among the worst people in the world, at least top 10% (albeit not the worst person in that room at that time).

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Not to paint with broad strokes, but this guy I know nothing about is definitely a piece of poo poo because of his daughters' favorite sport.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ego symphonic posted:

Not to paint with broad strokes, but this guy I know nothing about is definitely a piece of poo poo because of his daughters' favorite sport.

nah he's right those parents always come off like they're trying to get into an exclusive cult

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
You know it wasn't exclusively Olympic caliber athletes he was assaulting?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

Also not to paint with broad strokes, but it's safe to assume that a man with multiple daughters in high-level gymnastics is probably among the worst people in the world, at least top 10% (albeit not the worst person in that room at that time).

Even lovely stage parents don't deserve to have their daughters molested.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

I didn't say Olymipic caliber

Korranus posted:

Even lovely stage parents don't deserve to have their daughters molested.

I agree

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Charging father already released

https://twitter.com/WLNSAlexandra/status/959475504163311618

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

swickles posted:

And it wasn't even just gymnasts. One of the people mentioned in the stories as covering up for him was a trainer for the softball team, for example.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
You'll have a hard time convincing me that every homeschooled kid I ever met wasn't a weirdo with social problems in always the same kind of way, and the ones whose parents hired special trainers for the fringe sports weren't a distinct subset.

You know that guy's just extra angry because he ignored his daughters' hints that they didn't want to be doing all the activities he was pressuring them into doing. Going violent with the guilt doesn't make him world's greatest dad to me.

the way people fetishize extrajudicial punishment ("hell yeah now the bad guy will get BEATEN and RAPED in jail!!") is somewhere between childish and evil

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

You'll have a hard time convincing me that every homeschooled kid I ever met wasn't a weirdo with social problems in always the same kind of way, and the ones whose parents hired special trainers for the fringe sports weren't a distinct subset.

You know that guy's just extra angry because he ignored his daughters' hints that they didn't want to be doing all the activities he was pressuring them into doing. Going violent with the guilt doesn't make him world's greatest dad to me.

the way people fetishize extrajudicial punishment ("hell yeah now the bad guy will get BEATEN and RAPED in jail!!") is somewhere between childish and evil

What the hell are you doing Evan

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

EvanTH posted:

So is assuming anything about that guy and his parenting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I get where Evan is coming from since so many victims did tell their parents and their parents ignored them or outright accused them of lying, but it's dumb to assume that about every one when there are 250 victims.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

swickles posted:

So is assuming anything about that guy and his parenting.

are you the guy? why do you care if I think he's probably an rear end in a top hat

Cool Buff Man posted:

What the hell are you doing Evan

Bein' cynical. The dude wouldn't have been able to rape a whole lot of kids without complicity left and right, including from parents. I've met a few people who were slightly-below Olympic level competing in individual sports, and there were universally headcases who'd been pushed into it and hated it and usually themselves and regretted the whole thing. It never sounded like supportive parenting.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Bein' cynical.

Well I've got no room to complain about being cynical. Have a nice day, I'm going to make some blueberry pancakes

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
http://wlns.com/2018/01/22/twistars-owner-required-gymnasts-to-see-nassar-for-treatment-victims-say/

Twistars owner required gymnasts to see Nassar for treatment, victims say

This is really bad. Female gymnasts were required to only get treatment from Nassar. Not the male gymnasts, obviously.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Did this guy never sleep? I don't understand how there were enough hours in the day for him to touch this many people.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

General Dog posted:

Do we know they were high level? I was under the impression that even some rec level competitors in the East Lansing area went to him for treatment.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

sportsgenius86 posted:

Do we know they were high level? I was under the impression that even some rec level competitors in the East Lansing area went to him for treatment.

They all weren't. The link I just posted in from the local gym that had Nassar on staff.

If you were even a rec-level gymnast in mid-Michigan, you were in Nassar's circle.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

EvanTH posted:

nah he's right those parents always come off like they're trying to get into an exclusive cult

I think that would be a really satisfying assault charge. And I don't think the local DA would really push for much punishment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I think that would be a really satisfying assault charge. And I don't think the local DA would really push for much punishment.

https://twitter.com/WLNSAlexandra/status/959475504163311618

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
That means he won't be held in contempt of court. A prosecutor could still charge him with assault.

Frankly, it would be warranted. I empathize with Charging Father because of what he has gone through, but he violently attacked someone in a courtroom full of people who were victims of a violent male attacker. He probably scared some people out of their minds, in a setting and situation where they are quite vulnerable. Hey look - it's another man who can't control himself and thinks he's allowed to attack people because "I want to".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

runoverbobby posted:

That means he won't be held in contempt of court. A prosecutor could still charge him with assault.

Frankly, it would be warranted. I empathize with Charging Father because of what he has gone through, but he violently attacked someone in a courtroom full of people who were victims of a violent male attacker. He probably scared some people out of their minds, in a setting and situation where they are quite vulnerable. Hey look - it's another man who can't control himself and thinks he's allowed to attack people because "I want to".

I doubt he gets charged. Part of the calculus on going forward with actual charges is the chance of winning the case in trial, and good luck getting all 12 jurors to say guilty.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Niwrad posted:

I'm sayin' that's juvenile. Watching their dad bash a shackled man's face against a bench a few times doesn't unmolest the kids. "Don't worry girls, papa sunk his fists into the guy who was already going to prison for the rest of his life so now everything else that happened is made okay"

and then maybe while you were in jail overnight starting to wonder if you might've broken your hand, maybe then you'd start to wonder what Nassar's lawyers could do for his sentencing if they could argue that the court was impartial or functioning improperly because it deliberately brought in his accusers' relatives and allowed them to attack him...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Did this guy never sleep? I don't understand how there were enough hours in the day for him to touch this many people.

When over 20+ years victims are hand delivered to you every day of your work week they can add up quickly.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I don't think I've even looked at 250 different women

This guy also looks like a caricature of molester. People are retarded

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

EvanTH posted:

I'm sayin' that's juvenile. Watching their dad bash a shackled man's face against a bench a few times doesn't unmolest the kids. "Don't worry girls, papa sunk his fists into the guy who was already going to prison for the rest of his life so now everything else that happened is made okay"

and then maybe while you were in jail overnight starting to wonder if you might've broken your hand, maybe then you'd start to wonder what Nassar's lawyers could do for his sentencing if they could argue that the court was impartial or functioning improperly because it deliberately brought in his accusers' relatives and allowed them to attack him...

W-what?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
He's right. Punching people because they wronged you is just another facet of the toxic male behavior that enables an athletic department to prioritize sporting success over busting a rapist. It's still a male trying to feel powerful by taking someone else's well being into his own hands.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
This is the dumbest derail ever.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AsInHowe posted:

This is the dumbest derail ever.

It's directly relevant. Sorry it stresses you out that people are discussing toxic power behavior in a thread about a crime enabled by toxic power behavior.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cis autodrag posted:

It's directly relevant. Sorry it stresses you out that people are discussing toxic power behavior in a thread about a crime enabled by toxic power behavior.

You're blaming victims and secondary victims for their reactions to the person who harmed them, you idiot.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AsInHowe posted:

You're blaming victims and secondary victims for their reactions to the person who harmed them, you idiot.

No, we're saying that angry dad is performing behavior that probably made his daughter's trauma worse because he thought it would make him feel better. You're just too deep into your hosed up patriarchal thought structure to understand how your dad having a violent outburst might make you feel worse and not better.

And I'm not calling you names so why don't you knock that poo poo off.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
is it ok for moms to punch nassar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cis autodrag posted:

No, we're saying that angry dad is performing behavior that probably made his daughter's trauma worse because he thought it would make him feel better. You're just too deep into your hosed up patriarchal thought structure to understand how your dad having a violent outburst might make you feel worse and not better.

And I'm not calling you names so why don't you knock that poo poo off.

It didn't make his daughter's trauma worse. Stop philosophizing victim blaming.

Also, calling you an idiot for spouting nonsense escalated you to profanities? You idiot.