Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Vegas Golden Knights

https://twitter.com/RP_Quigs/status/959272589117050880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Hockey Gods knew the subsequent goalie interference call would have overturned the goal, so they mercifully let us skip the whole play so that Vegas could score at the other end.

May They rule in wisdom and glory forever, or else as long as the current CBA shall be valid.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

and then there was another sequence where the puck dropped behind fleury again shortly after. nutso.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Everything old is new again:

Tackling - now allowed in the NHL

https://twitter.com/GenePrincipe/status/959270090188365824

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

my twitter says Hellebuyck, Wheeler, and Coach Maurice were all very vocal in post-game about the goalie interference decision. I haven't listened so I don't know exactly what they said.

But, IMO, league-wide, this inconsistency/ambiguity has become a problem that needs to get addressed ASAP, and it certainly needs to get addressed well in advance of the playoffs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Duke Chin posted:

Absolutely, 100% should not have been a goal.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Maf is the gif that keeps on giving

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

grack posted:

Absolutely, 100% should not have been a goal.

i actually don't give a poo poo about the goal (or either team really) it's the wrapping up, holding, then dragging and laying down on a player by the Colorado defenseman that I'm not fond of in the slightest.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Turns out Gudas is a dirty shithead, who knew

https://twitter.com/njdevils/status/959224530215624704

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/nhlgifs/status/959281959007535104

:love: stammer

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Duke Chin posted:

i actually don't give a poo poo about the goal (or either team really) it's the wrapping up, holding, then dragging and laying down on a player by the Colorado defenseman that I'm not fond of in the slightest.

Well yeah, that should've been holding but you can't push the goaltender in to the net when he's covering the puck.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

grack posted:

Well yeah, that should've been holding but you can't push the goaltender in to the net when he's covering the puck.

Also, Oilers goals should never count.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Eller starts displaying concussion symptons and he doesn't know why

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

That guy totally got called for that, then the Avs scored a shortie, it was great

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I was watching that live and was furious when they actually called it a goal, and had to use a challenge after to get it corrected. And yeah, the shortie after was hilarious.

Between that, the bruins hitting the Blues goalie away, and the Hellebyuck hit, they really relaxed too much on that poo poo.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Fire Gudas into the sun

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

grack posted:

no loving duh. Again, I'm talking about aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the poo poo leading into that.

Philouza posted:

That guy totally got called for that, then the Avs scored a shortie, it was great

Good. And :lol::lol::lol:oilers:lol::lol::lol:

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

gudas hit disnt look deliberate. he just happened to be leaping

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wow that's absolutely disgusting.
Second time this season, too right? They'll probably give him 3 games for that.

They should really start giving out some Chris Simon suspensions again if they want to stop people from getting jelly brains but I mean uncle Gary has to make his money and all

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LumpyGumby posted:

I was watching that live and was furious when they actually called it a goal, and had to use a challenge after to get it corrected. And yeah, the shortie after was hilarious.

Between that, the bruins hitting the Blues goalie away, and the Hellebyuck hit, they really relaxed too much on that poo poo.

Bettman was on CBC during the ASG saying that they're going to start instructing referees to rely heavily on the call on the ice, and only flip things if it's especially egregious.

Which I thought the Bruins goal would be but apparently not.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Al Montoya got a chance to respond to Rishaug's dumbass in his postgame interview and it rules

https://youtu.be/BiBkzwEJvO0

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQtVkWBzRo

Things I learned:
- There’s something called the Elite Ice Hockey League
- its head of DOPS is an affable British gent
- assaulting a fan gets you suspended in the EIHL, but not that suspended

are they not allowed to drip the gloves in this crazy league? nothing about this makes any sense

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
hey. fire av

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

bewbies posted:

are they not allowed to drip the gloves in this crazy league? nothing about this makes any sense

Fighting's fine. Fighting after the match has finished, less so.

This version of DOPS is a marked improvement on the previous regime.
:britain:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress Vegas, the Toronto Maple Leafs are cool and good as gently caress.

Anyone remember Jared Staal, potentially the best Staal brother? Well, Michael McLeod's younger brother Ryan is likely to be a first round pick this year. Let me tell you about their older brother Matthew... woof.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

The 11-hour bus ride without food on Day 1. The six-hour overnight trip on Day 2. The eight-hour overnight trip on Day 3.

Players in hoodies unloading buses and setting up dressing rooms in the dead of the night, shivering from the cold and hunger.

Struggling to breathe on a bus where you could literally see the diesel fumes in the air, seeping through the vents.

Jesus Christ: https://theathletic.com/206515/2018/02/02/in-one-my-four-insane-days-trapped-in-minor-hockey-hell-with-the-brampton-beast/

I'm glad to see MAF has still found new and inexplicable ways of keeping pucks out of nets and "HOW?" wasn't just a 2016-17 Stanley Cup Playoffs thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is a great read

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Baseball has so far managed to get away with exploiting minor leaguers because of their antitrust exemption, what's hockey's excuse

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQtVkWBzRo

Things I learned:
- There’s something called the Elite Ice Hockey League
- its head of DOPS is an affable British gent
- assaulting a fan gets you suspended in the EIHL, but not that suspended

Biznasty and Jason Williams played in the EIHL for a couple years. I think there have been a couple other random NHLers and a few punchmen who have wound up there for a bit only to come back to the US.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

I'm depressed now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

In the silence, Jacklin speaks up, showing Folkes his phone.

“Someone wants me to play in Australia. Look at this: They give you a $100 meat pack per week,” he says.

“Did you hear that boys, a $100 meat pack!” Folkes shouts, the sleep-deprived bus laughing back.

Hey, most of the Canadian ex-pats I know who played in the AIHL love it, so go for it. Sure, it's a semi-pro league with no salaries and some of the rinks have the worst ice I've ever seen let alone skated on, but there are parrots and kangaroos outside.

e: drat, David Ling is still playing at 43? He was awesome for the Marlies 10 years ago.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 2, 2018

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Biznasty and Jason Williams played in the EIHL for a couple years. I think there have been a couple other random NHLers and a few punchmen who have wound up there for a bit only to come back to the US.

Isn't the EIHL the league that Theo Fleury played in? And got suspended from for punching a ref?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

i only just now realized that the EIHL is in the UK, which makes the british accent on the DOPS video much less notable

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CBJSprague24 posted:

My recollection is they absolutely killed it too. There's a huge difference in skill between even the worst player to play in the NHL and the minor leagues.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

welsh gretzky put up 19 points in 10 games

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hifi posted:

welsh gretzky put up 19 points in 10 games

He outpaced Williams, who was more of a scorer (14 in 11 games). Brian McGrattan played with Williams in Nottingham.

Other NHLers in England last year: Patrick Bourdeleau, Derek Walser, Jim Vandermeer, Jay Rosehill, Richard Jackman, Jared Staal

Looking at random profiles, it's mostly where AHLers and ECHLers go to die because they're not good enough for Germany/Sweden/Switzerland/the KHL.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

0% chance I could function on the little sleep that coach was getting.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Buchnevich has a concussion and is out indefinitely.

Time to sell, fire AV, and get your tank on, Jeff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Buchnevich has a concussion and is out indefinitely.

Time to sell, fire AV, and get your tank on, Jeff.

Why would an injury to a 4th/5th liner hurt the Rangers?

• Locked thread