Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Well this show finally got a good one in, I feel like there's a lot of good Junji Ito stuff that they're completely ignoring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

On one hand, I hope they adapt the Enigma of Amigara Fault because that's one of his best. On the other hand, the show isn't that great and I don't think it would be able to do the story justice.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Amigara Fault is a meme

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

They're doing Tomie as an OVA, turns out this anime is actually good!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Serge Painsbourg posted:

On one hand, I hope they adapt the Enigma of Amigara Fault because that's one of his best. On the other hand, the show isn't that great and I don't think it would be able to do the story justice.

Yeah, the puppet story was the first one I had read before watching the show, and its adaptation was not nearly as creepy as the original. It's nice that this show exists in the first place, but in execution it seems a bit pointless. Not a single creepy moment has been enhanced by the added movement. If anything, it's less scary when you actually see things play out. Amigara Fault will probably be the same way.

Liver Disaster posted:

They're doing Tomie as an OVA, turns out this anime is actually good!

Watching Tomie grow and transform might be cool, I suppose. Then again, I thought the same about Gyo, and that movie was really lame.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

souichi did nothing wrong

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Serge Painsbourg posted:

We can only dream

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Johnny Joestar posted:

souichi did nothing wrong

The Souichi stories genuinely seem to have the most effort put into them. They also benefit way more from the added movement because of all the wacky chases (and the nail shooting).

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

And More posted:

The Souichi stories genuinely seem to have the most effort put into them. They also benefit way more from the added movement because of all the wacky chases (and the nail shooting).

The Souichi segments convinced me that the creators of the show want to do a comedy anime with horror elements rather than a straightforward horror anime. Ito's sense of humor, when it comes through, is pretty lighthearted - case in point, the cat diary - and the Souichi stories fit that bill perfectly. They don't understand how to adapt the creepiness of most of his other work. It doesn't help that they spent all of :10bux: on the animation, either.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've always loved Junji's sillier stuff, so I'm glad they're including plenty of it.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

And More posted:

He also said something to that effect in the episode, but seeing as he married that one girl, surely the dreams can't be all that bad. It also seems like lucid dreaming would have been a simple solution to that specific issue. Maybe my nightmares just aren't scary enough or something.

I was disappointed they didn't really go into the nightmares. Like one was him hiding in a jungle for years, constantly one stop away from soldiers trying to hunt and kill him, among other terrible scenarios.

The scary part was that the final, eternal dream had a chance to be either heaven, or hell.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Imagine infinite Souichis, accidentally owning himself forever.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If Takagi-san and Souichi came into conflict, would he own himself so hard that he'd die?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dug the latest episode, though it was more "spooky magical realism" than horror, I'd say.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I think this is my favorite episode so far.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that was a pretty solid episode, really

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
Was that the last episode? It didn't say which stories are in the next episode after the ending.

It was also the only episode that didn't have a cold open.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Lord Grundle posted:

Was that the last episode? It didn't say which stories are in the next episode after the ending.

It was also the only episode that didn't have a cold open.

I think it's a standard twelve episode run. Would be really unusual to only produce six episodes.

This episode also used both movement and lack of movement in smart ways. The first story profits from the creepy hands reaching forward, while the second episode profits from everyone barely moving. Maybe they can turn the lack of budget into a strength after all.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The second part this time felt more like a David Lynch movie.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Lurking Haro posted:

The second part this time felt more like a David Lynch movie.

They really cut out all the stuff that makes this story work. Like, the reason why the girl's family starts peaking into her room is because they hear the boy whisper to her at night.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
and the scene with aunt is more tame for obvious reasons. blegh. Usually I don't mind so much but this is one of my favorite stories of his and the anime version is a real bummer

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

The second one felt like three separate stories mashed together instead of one coherent story. Which story or stories was it based off of?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i havent watched the episode yet but you're probably thinking about "The Town Without Streets"

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Serge Painsbourg posted:

The second one felt like three separate stories mashed together instead of one coherent story. Which story or stories was it based off of?

No it was one story. either translated as the city of no streets or in the anime's case, no roads. It just has that disjointedness built into in it, but it works a bit better with the scenes that were cut out.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Although, that being said, it was one the better adaptations, even if felt disjointed. The show managed to get a good creepy atmosphere going for that story, which is more than can be said for a lot of the other ones. The stories with less motion work better.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

This episode was really off-modell. The second part still worked best.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Finally Tomie and they recovered from last episode's slump.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
that's weird, they said tomie was going to be an ova

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Relin posted:

Guess they'll just have to do the cat ones instead.
:getin:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Relin posted:

There is more than one Tomie story.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
yeah i know but it's basically all the same poo poo

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i never thought that one would actually be animated

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
They animated Glyceride, the fuckers. The first time I actually had to look away from the screen (in the pimple "popping" scene).

BTW, has anyone else been reading Thomas Ligotti? I find him a pretty close literary equivalent to Junji Ito.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

I worked chicken fryers in a deli during college, and the oil clung to everything. Greased got a visceral shudder out of me.

cyberbug posted:

They animated Glyceride, the fuckers. The first time I actually had to look away from the screen (in the pimple "popping" scene).

BTW, has anyone else been reading Thomas Ligotti? I find him a pretty close literary equivalent to Junji Ito.

How so? I'm not familiar with Ligotti, but Junji Ito's horror always struck me as being close to Kafka or Lovecraft.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ito isn't as pessimistic as Ligotti

I don't see Junji Ito writing about how it would be better if no one had a child ever again like Ligotti did

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

he'd probably write about how 1 out of every 10 children turns into a baby-headed centipede when they get around one year old and how a family is worried about if their child is going to be that way and they think they're safe but it turns out that since the child was born prematurely it set back the time for it by just a little

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

A new one-shot! This one's pretty good.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Layers-of-Fear

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

animation was pretty dire throughout, but i'm glad they did splatter film. no amigara fault is a pretty weird choice. they could easily do another season of this though

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Relin posted:

animation was pretty dire throughout, but i'm glad they did splatter film. no amigara fault is a pretty weird choice. they could easily do another season of this though

Amigara Fault wasn't part of the Junji Ito collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

IT SHOULD BE

the first of the two tomie ovas came out today, hopefully someone puts it up soon

• Locked thread