Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I said come in! posted:

Why is it a problem that MAME was used? Speed runners use emulators with a heavy use of save states all of the time, not to mention exploits and glitches. All of the top Super Mario speed runs for example are with exploits.

This is not speed running, and there are different categories of speedrunning that either do or do not allow for various glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Why is it a problem that MAME was used? Speed runners use emulators with a heavy use of save states all of the time, not to mention exploits and glitches. All of the top Super Mario speed runs for example are with exploits.

Because he claimed he achieved those scores on original hardware, without using exploits and glitches or save states. Like the possibility that he used save states is really messed up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How are these scores verified anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

itshappening.gif

now give me King of Kong 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there are no more heroes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

an actual dog posted:

Because he claimed he achieved those scores on original hardware, without using exploits and glitches or save states. Like the possibility that he used save states is really messed up.

Donkey Kong has been forever tarnished. :/

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everything is taped and in some cases hardware is submitted for verification. The post on Twingalaxies pulls apart the recording and analyzes how the screen is rendered and it appears that his screens are being rendered by an emulator and not original hardware.

It's quite possible that all of his high scores were Tool Assisted.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Would anyone even care if it wasn't Billy Mitchell attached to the accusation?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They're not

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Really Pants posted:

there are no more heroes

whens no more heroes 3 anyway

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Stuff like this happens a lot, it literally happened earlier this week on the Atari 2600 Dragster as pointed out above. It's a "big deal" because, yeah, it's Billy Mitchell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

I would care if it were Steve Wiebe because he seems like a cool dude

Similarly I care about it being Billy Mitchell because, in the words of Billy Mitchell's best friend, "gently caress you, Billy Mitchell"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Everything is taped and in some cases hardware is submitted for verification. The post on Twingalaxies pulls apart the recording and analyzes how the screen is rendered and it appears that his screens are being rendered by an emulator and not original hardware.

It's quite possible that all of his high scores were Tool Assisted.
yeah and remember that the big climactic ending of king of kong was mitchell refusing to play in public and instead submitting an extremely sketchy videotape conveniently immediately after wiebe beat his score lmao

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

homeless snail posted:

yeah and remember that the big climactic ending of king of kong was mitchell refusing to play in public and instead submitting an extremely sketchy videotape conveniently immediately after wiebe beat his score lmao

Yeah, it felt like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry refuses to run.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Humble Bundle this month is Dark Souls III with the DLC. Dark Souls III wasn't well received among fans though, right?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

With old arcade games the hardware is really important because every different build came with different quirks and different bugs. The way the code interacts with the hardware makes a huge difference in different version of different early game and when Twin Galaxies keeps data it is by the version of the hardware. Mame can be anything. Everything is being emulated and while you can force certain things it's hard to tell what version is being run, what is going on behind the scenes and what the quirks of that version are. Mame is fine in some communities but not the ones that Mitchell is known in.

Like, one of the things that really annoys me about King of Kong is that they sort of willfully ignore the idea that the problem with the record isn't that it isn't verified correctly, but rather that it's the DK/DKjr version of the cabinet rather than the original DK cabinet. Like so much of the movie is a non thing if it just states that both versions of the game have different records but the movie basically just ignores this because that would gently caress up their narrative. Here Mitchell isn't just using a different hardware set, he's using one that isn't allowed because it's basically an impossible to accurately quantify.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I said come in! posted:

The Humble Bundle this month is Dark Souls III with the DLC. Dark Souls III wasn't well received among fans though, right?

the Dark Souls series' fan reception is as twisted as its timeline, play whichever you want and see what you enjoy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's also funny because Mitchell initially disputed Wiebe's record because he suspected Wiebe had colluded with Mr. Awesome to cheat, even though the kind of cheating they accused him of is something that you'd literally have to be an engineer at Nintendo to pull off

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My Rival Who Works At Nintendo

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

My god! Is nothing sacred anymore!? :negative:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

shigeru miyamoto walks up to a donkey kong machine, everyone gathers around. not to see him play it, but to try and learn the secrets of the nintendo cheats

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I think a lot of people liked it but were just kind of getting tired of the formula? (Me, anyway)

You can only be tricked by a dragon on a bridge so many times.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why does everyone but me seem to know about the pro donkey kong scene

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They made a movie about it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Everyone follows DK because it gave us 2 of gaming's most beloved characters: Pauline and barrels of oil.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Dark Souls games are all so good and so similar that the minor differences between them get blown up into massive ruinous catastrophes. If you're not a super hardcore fan they're not very distinguishable and if you liked one you'll probably like all the others enough for them to be worth paying for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

dark souls 3 had some issues and some bad bosses (most of the dragons) but it also had some of the best bosses in the series (the cloak knight guy, the shadow hunter dudes). i liked it well enough.

but yeah, the dark souls games arent that different. bloodborne plays different from souls but in the souls series they're all basically built on the same framework

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And then there's me, the idiot still struggling with Demon Souls because dammit I bought the original Asian release in Singapore and I need to close this chapter of my life!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

And then there's me, the idiot still struggling with Demon Souls because dammit I bought the original Asian release in Singapore and I need to close this chapter of my life!

you can do it, i believe in you!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have never played any of the Dark Souls games. With the first one being remade I'm not sure what order I should play them in now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have never played any of the Dark Souls games. With the first one being remade I'm not sure what order I should play them in now

whichever

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Play the first one.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
play all of them.

im going to beat bloodborne and then get the remaster of 1 cause I never beat Sen's Fortress, it's all very exciting

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
also check out this hot joke

King of Wrong

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Milly Bitchel

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Dark souls 2 is okay, but the bosses and characters aren't as interesting, and while the art assets are 'better', they look worse without ds1's film grain filter. There's a lot more items though, if that's your thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Play Bloodborne last because it's too good and you won't be able to go back to less good ones.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Play Bloodborne last because it's too good and you won't be able to go back to less good ones.

Uh well considering I'm playing through Bloodborne a second time with the DLC right now that might be a problem. After that on my Soulslike schedule is Knack and then maybe Nioh DLC

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

should play knack last, once you play it you won't be able to go back to less good videogames, which is all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For high profile cases they'd usually have judges on hand at events and things, but seeing how chummy the various founders/judges were with each other it kinda calls into question that entire clique.

• Locked thread