Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Well during the peak of the Corgan NWA, guys were really hoping to wrestle his champion. Then he made it clear that nobody except Corgan's guys are allowed to challenge for the belt, and that was that. I imagine he hasn't learned anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's probably less that people hate him and more that people are just tired of him.

Plus it's hard to revive the NWA when all that's left of it is a belt and 2 guys.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay, seriously, why does everyone in wrestling hate Billy Corgan so much?

Like, I'm genuinely curious. He seems utterly incapable of getting anything off the ground, and not because he's not putting in the work or because he doesn't have the money (he is, and does), but simply because nobody wants to work with him. Is he seriously that much of a jackass to the point where even wrestlers draw the line? Is he some kind of secret sex pest?

There is some evidence he hasn't been putting the work in, either with TNA or here.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
https://youtu.be/TtyutrL-7bk

TIM STORM THINKS ITS BULLSHIT.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Billy's a really really big rear end in a top hat. Aside from James Iha(who was just happy to be there), there were reasons everyone involved with Smashing Pumpkins did all the heroin. They were tired of Billy's constant bullshit.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
NWA in a gif

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

keeping that trash can in the shot on the right is just so perfect

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Well during the peak of the Corgan NWA, guys were really hoping to wrestle his champion. Then he made it clear that nobody except Corgan's guys are allowed to challenge for the belt, and that was that. I imagine he hasn't learned anything.

This is the thing I don't get; anyone with half a brain knows they're not winning the belt and are challenging because a) for all the faded Lustre to challenge for the nwa title is a big deal (hell I remember when Nick Lovin' was going to get a shot, we all marked out like morons) and b) it would get themselves and their company some publicity. The fact that Billy didn't take that and parlay it into a selling point still confuses the hell out of me.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Actually, I think it's Billy actually learning an important lesson from wrestling history. Don't let anyone near the belt who's not beholden to you.

Can you imagine how much we'd mock him if it had been Tim Storm vs random Indie Fed headliner and the guy went into business for himself and an unplanned title change happened?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

...did somebody get to the eyeholes before him? :ohdear:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jerusalem posted:

...did somebody get to the eyeholes before him? :ohdear:

He had to get up on outta here :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Q_res posted:

Actually, I think it's Billy actually learning an important lesson from wrestling history. Don't let anyone near the belt who's not beholden to you.

Can you imagine how much we'd mock him if it had been Tim Storm vs random Indie Fed headliner and the guy went into business for himself and an unplanned title change happened?

The number of indie wrestlers who can go into business for themselves and shoot on a guy are pretty small and no one is going to do it for the NWA title in 2018.

The whole concept of a traveling NWA champion necessitated facing guys the promoter of the belt/champion didn't control.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DJExile posted:

Plus it's hard to revive the NWA when all that's left of it is a belt and 2 guys.

i'm just astounded it's that hard for him to find more than 2 guys. it genuinely seems like he's been somehow loving blacklisted by most indie wrestlers; you'd think that simply having money and being willing to book people would be enough for them to come flocking.

also, the fact that Harley Race is offended that he was shouted-out to by the NWA... seemingly solely because it's Corgan's NWA that did it? NWA branches have been shouting out to him since loving forever (going at least as far back as that one famous Shane Douglas promo that killed NWA ECW and started... ECW) and this is the first time I've heard of him getting angry about it.

MassRafTer posted:

The number of indie wrestlers who can go into business for themselves and shoot on a guy are pretty small and no one is going to do it for the NWA title in 2018.

The whole concept of a traveling NWA champion necessitated facing guys the promoter of the belt/champion didn't control.

those guys were under the NWA umbrella in some regard, though. the title might have left a specific branch of the NWA, but it never actually left the NWA, and on the rare occasion it almost did they pulled fuckery to keep it in the NWA.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 3, 2018

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

i would, and i can

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

i would, and i can

You don't have the guts because you know both Nick Aldis and Tim Storm are cop callers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nah, i'm sure Tim Storm would just beat you stupid with all his repressed rage at being a school teacher and not a bigtime wrestler and then pass out from tripping over a ladder.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

You don't have the guts

Tim Storm on the other hand has plenty of gut

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MassRafTer posted:

You don't have the guts because you know both Nick Aldis and Tim Storm are cop callers.

would the cops even get involved if you shot on someone in a wrestling match and they didn't actually get seriously legit injured? like, i'm imagining Tim Storm calling the cops because some indy guy went for a cover when he wasn't supposed to and getting laughed off the drat phone

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

would the cops even get involved if you shot on someone in a wrestling match and they didn't actually get seriously legit injured? like, i'm imagining Tim Storm calling the cops because some indy guy went for a cover when he wasn't supposed to and getting laughed off the drat phone

There's no way it'd work. You need to get the ref in on the deal, not to mention the blowback would be tremendous. Back in the old days with the Athletic Commission refs it was easier to get a screwy count because they weren't in on the work. All you had to do was get the dude in a solid pin and let the count fall in.

Nowadays most refs know the finish and try their damnedest not to gently caress it up. Its their job. So if you get the ref to count your finish, you just cost him his job. So he's pissed at you. Next is the promoter who is now in pissed because you just put him in a rock and a hard place with Billy fuckin Corgan. Oh and the guy you pinned for your shoot title change? Chances are he's just realized how you've hosed him on his bookings so he's pissed too.

That's just the first minute.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Why the gently caress can't he get The Maestro in his crew

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Tato posted:

Music differences.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tato posted:

The Maestro has standards

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

coconono posted:

There's no way it'd work. You need to get the ref in on the deal, not to mention the blowback would be tremendous. Back in the old days with the Athletic Commission refs it was easier to get a screwy count because they weren't in on the work. All you had to do was get the dude in a solid pin and let the count fall in.

Nowadays most refs know the finish and try their damnedest not to gently caress it up. Its their job. So if you get the ref to count your finish, you just cost him his job. So he's pissed at you. Next is the promoter who is now in pissed because you just put him in a rock and a hard place with Billy fuckin Corgan. Oh and the guy you pinned for your shoot title change? Chances are he's just realized how you've hosed him on his bookings so he's pissed too.

That's just the first minute.

see, the impression I get is that Corgan has enough negative heat with the rest of the industry that I could see everyone you named except the other wrestler rolling with it, especially in a promotion like CZW, simply on the basis of "gently caress Billy Corgan"

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I mean, wrestling is fake though, if a bunch of giggling dicks hold your friend down and count to three you don't actually have to give them the belt you own.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wrestling is real

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It would just get overturned for whatever reason Billy made up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

wrestling is real

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Explosions posted:

I mean, wrestling is fake though, if a bunch of giggling dicks hold your friend down and count to three you don't actually have to give them the belt you own.

Which requires explaining to the police that this is totally not a wrestling stunt, which would be pretty humiliating, imo.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Super No Vacancy posted:

wrestling is real

people are fake

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Y'all, watch how he stomps when he punches. That's where the noise comes from, not from the actual punch.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Explosions posted:

Y'all, watch how he stomps when he punches. That's where the noise comes from, not from the actual punch.

Please leave all conspiracy theory videos out of this very serious discussion, thank you.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.avclub.com/smashing-pum...SocialMarketing

so is Billy writing off the NWA as dead already and reviving the only thing that he was good at or what

is he just unable to concentrate on more than one thing at a time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Venomous posted:

so is Billy writing off the NWA as dead already and reviving the only thing that he was good at or what

Jeez that is not a flattering photo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Venomous posted:

Supposedly there's a 20 year plan in place for the NWA but I believe its all off the rails because Step 1 (Everyone Likes NWA) hasn't exactly panned out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

This was supposed to happen last year, it's been in the works for awhile.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jimmy is gonna look so good with that ten pounds of gold.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

quote:

If you are already doing one thing badly it's not hard to do another thing badly

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
NWA will open for the smashing pumpkins

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lagana has been running the day to day not corgan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

corn in the bible posted:

NWA will open for the smashing pumpkins

oh is that the big project Easy E has been talking about on twitter? don’t think they’ll like Hogan