Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spasticColon posted:

Bitcoin isn't the only thing crashing the stock market fell 666 points today.

Hail Satan. :devil:

/r/bitcoin has a bunch of people pointing this out, like a loss of 2% is just as bad as bitcon's loss of 15% today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"topia" is literally place ("eutopia" = "good place", "utopia" = "no place", "dystopia" = "bad place", the same Greek root as topology/topographic)

so it's BOY PLACE
Please touch my boytopia.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"topia" is literally place ("eutopia" = "good place", "utopia" = "no place", "dystopia" = "bad place", the same Greek root as topology/topographic)

so it's BOY PLACE

might as well call it Manchild Cove

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
It'll be like Fyre Festival but forever.

Is there a coin backed by how many rubes Ja Rule can trick into going on an island vacation with 0 actual money?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

so it's BOY PLACE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKpSSl2Ouqo

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
If you wanna get into the boy's place you gotta pay the bit toll, you gotta buy the dip to get in

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZPQdZLyHYE

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

fractional reserve scamming lol

dude is a genius

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
/r/bitfinex is nothing but people complaining about not getting their withdrawals for weeks/ever lol

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
we will finally be free of the regulation also where my money

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I don't think "bjorn de wolf" is a real name

I don't think I would wire bjorn de wolf 30k

🐺

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

let it mellow posted:

we will finally be free of the regulation also where my money

What even is the problem these people have with regulations, it seems like in 2018 government regulations are almost universally a good thing and most problems in society i.e healthcare, utilities, roads and transport are all going to poo poo because they are becoming less regulated

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Alpha Mayo posted:

/r/bitfinex is nothing but people complaining about not getting their withdrawals for weeks/ever lol

You're not supposed to withdraw! HODL!!! You're supposed to tell people you're a bitmillionaire (on paper) and then spend like crazy on credit while waiting for coins to get launched into the moon.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Something about government infringing on their right to be scammed (because they think one day it will be them doing the scamming)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

abigserve posted:

What even is the problem these people have with regulations, it seems like in 2018 government regulations are almost universally a good thing and most problems in society i.e healthcare, utilities, roads and transport are all going to poo poo because they are becoming less regulated

You’re not American, right?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Burt Sexual posted:

You’re not American, right?

Nah mate

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I don't think "bjorn de wolf" is a real name

I don't think I would wire bjorn de wolf 30k

🐺

They don't call him Bjorn the Fell-Handed for nothing.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Can I conduct my bitcoin mining operation in Cape Horn?

Asking for a friend.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Also Korean exchanges are now 3% cheaper than Gdax which is unprecedented. Some serious propping up going on right now, and even though it is hard to arbitrage between Korea and US it's not impossible with the people who have business partnerships with actual South Koreans. The fact that Korean arb is now putting negative pressure on Gdax instead of positive is not a good sign.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How come Bitcoin miners wear out GPUs so fast?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
People who aren't smart, skilled, or particularly good at anything think they're owed millions and that regulations are the reasons they haven't personally succeeded. Particularly regulations that prevent them from shifting costs onto others or protect consumers from being scammed. It will never occur to them that those same regulations are the only thing keeping bigger players from scamming them or shifting more of the burdens of doing business their way.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Dongattack posted:

They stand under em and jump up and down and hear BLING BLING BLING BLING and then it breaks

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

it’s me im the crypto genius that can’t afford lasik

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Dongattack posted:

There's really no proof that they do

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
MTBF is a metric of how soon any part dies, and all you need to do is think of the use cases. People that game a lot will spend, what, a dozen hours a week playing games that max out their cards? Even a rich NEET will only double or triple that at most. Even then, you can always find posts about "why do my textures look weird?" and other things about graphics cards dying

On the other hand, miners will run it at max, probably overvolted and overclocked beyond specs and way beyond cooling requirements, 24/7. That knocks off an entire order of magnitude of the time it would take for the card to fail, maybe even two if you factor in the stresses of the environment

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GPUs that have been flashed with custom firmware to override the internal safeguards tend to get burned the gently caress up.

But apparently the GTX 10<x>0 range aren't able to be reflashed.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
bitfinex is liberating people from their fiat currency

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Dongattack posted:

You haven't been able to mine Bitcoin with GPU for years.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

They are libertarians

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's kinda cool visually when a gpu is dying the screen gets all wonky

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sentient Data posted:

MTBF is a metric of how soon any part dies, and all you need to do is think of the use cases. People that game a lot will spend, what, a dozen hours a week playing games that max out their cards? Even a rich NEET will only double or triple that at most. Even then, you can always find posts about "why do my textures look weird?" and other things about graphics cards dying

On the other hand, miners will run it at max, probably overvolted and overclocked beyond specs and way beyond cooling requirements, 24/7. That knocks off an entire order of magnitude of the time it would take for the card to fail, maybe even two if you factor in the stresses of the environment

Nerds being nerds

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

abigserve posted:

It's regulations that are preventing the coal mining industry from entering its Renaissance and regulations that are forcing employers to employ automation instead of overstaffing their Rust Belt factories. I bet you didn't know that one of Obama's final regulations before leaving office reads "Effective immediately, America will no longer be great."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Imagine driving a car normally. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, occasionally in hilly areas or crappy conditions, parked 90% of the time.
:iiaca:

Now imagine driving a car up an infinite mountain and constantly redlining it
:bitcoin:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

I love this so much I actually just today took a screenshot of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Imagine a professional datacenter: tons of racks of components in a giant room attached to a bunch of commercial-grade air conditioners that keep the room nice and chilled and well-ventilated. Professional HPC components are designed to work in these conditions.

Now instead of that imagine just stuffing those components in an old television box and attaching a dryer lint hose to one end for "ventilation", and also you've flashed the cards' BIOS to override any thermal protection in order to squeeze out an extra $0.0001/day:

Mining won't really gently caress up a GPU if it's just in a normal desktop with some case fans running. It's the homerig poo poo that you have to worry about

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 3, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Moridin920 posted:

It's kinda cool visually when a gpu is dying the screen gets all wonky

Alternatively, seeing your display possessed by the ghost of Lisa Frank is terrifying, in the “I’m going to have to replace this 300 dollar piece of junk” kind of way.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

QuarkJets posted:

Imagine a professional datacenter: tons of racks of components in a giant room attached to a bunch of commercial-grade air conditioners that keep the room nice and chilled and well-ventilated. Professional HPC components are designed to work in these conditions.

Now instead of that imagine just stuffing those components in an old television box and attaching a dryer lint hose to one end for "ventilation", and also you've flashed the cards' BIOS to override any thermal protection in order to squeeze out an extra $0.0001/day:

Mining won't really gently caress up a GPU if it's just in a normal desktop with some case fans running. It's the homerig poo poo that you have to worry about

Wow that looks like a great way to burn your house down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

FYI they make HPC rack mount cases with a "bump" to fit consumer GPUs. Granted, most crypto miners are the trailer park meth manufacturer equivalent of someone who takes care of their gear.