Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

and by "respond better to texts than e-mails" what I really mean is that we used to use nextels, and our field techs are set in their ways and are super resistant to change.

I actually miss those nextels
Because of the quality of the devices, right? Not because of that godawful annoying PTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Aunt Beth posted:

Because of the quality of the devices, right? Not because of that godawful annoying PTT.

Both, really.

The nextels were much more resistant to EMI than their cell phones are, so our techs could speak freely inside a head end. On these new phones, the EMI creates so much background noise that they usually have to walk outside to have a conversation, or call back on the landline. In some remote sites, the reception is so lovely that they don't get pages, e-mails, or phone calls, and they're too far away from the main office to hear the phone ringing in there when I get desperate and call that.

It was also much easier to remember a person's 4 digit nextel than 10 digit phone number so there was less rummaging through tickets to find contact information. I also worked overnights when we had them, and it was much easier to chirp the on call to wake them up and let them respond on their own time rather than a real nasty phone call.

e: Actually my favorite use of the nextel was using it to call another department that had really long call hold times. I'd use the nextel to yell at them to pick up the drat phone I'm more important than whatever schmuck you're talking to now.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 2, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I also felt really cool using them.

Like, all my teenage dreams came true at once.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aunt Beth posted:

*BLOOP-BLEEP*

HEY BOB DID YOU GO TO LUNCH YET?

*BLOOP*

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axsqWbxZJGc

That ad is my only experience with Nextel and I love them because of it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have PTSD from that loving PTT noise.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Fool posted:

You'd think that, but cell companies have had this service for nearly as long as there have been text messages, and I've never heard of a case of serious abuse.

I'm really surprised that this is the case. I've had the same Verizon cell number for almost 20 years now (late 1999) and I get very few spam messages through this method. Maybe once every few months. Whatever they're doing on the filtering on their end is fantastic, because I've also never not gotten an intended message through this method (we use it for our oncall paging).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
:Customer: 11:49am - Agrikk we are doing a migration of a critical platform into our account at 1pm. Thought you should know.

Uh okay. This is the first I’m hearing about this. I guess I’ll watch my phone for critical pages and alerts really really hard for the next couple hours, then

:Customer: 2pm - starting migration now.

Okay cool. I’ll sit here ~with baited breath~ as I wait anxiously for your every update on a launch I knew nothing about.

:Customer: 2:30pm hey Agrikk we are getting capacity errors can you have a look?

:) - you are trying to deploy 500 x1e.24xl instances? Did you set up your reserved instances ahead of time to guarantee instance availability like I told you during our best practices discussions? [See emails dated date1, date2, date3 and date4]

:Customer: - no. We thought you could do that for us during launch.

:) okay, no. RIs are a contract purchased as an agreement negotiated specifically for enterprise customers. They aren’t a bit that flips.

But anyways, we don’t have this kind of capacity in such short notice on the more exotic instance types. Can you just switch to more of a smaller instance type?

:Customer: We don’t know how to modify the Teradata templates to change the instance type . *BIG PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE SIGH* Well okay. If you aren’t going to help, I guess we will abort the launch and set up a meeting with your executive leadership to talk about how you guys failed us.

I want to fire these guys so hard, but they pay $millions per month so yeah. We will all sit in a call to listen to our execs talk to their execs about EC2 RI purchases, capacity, how to engage enterprise support what best practices exist for launch days like this. This will happen despite me having a satisfyingly large collection of emails that discuss these very topics multiple times and multiple ways.

The cool part is that I have faith that my leadership won’t throw us under the bus. They’re good like that :D

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I hated Nextel for one reason... The Nextel service pricing was 2x higher than what Verizon Wireless charged us at the time. Given that I was responsible for our cellphone billing, this annoyed me greatly. I could have 2 lines of VZW service to 1 Nextel line.

We had one branch location that had them because it's what the main sales guy wanted. The rest of the company was Verizon Wireless. When he got fired one day, I got rid of the Nextels the next week.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Agrikk posted:

The cool part is that I have faith that my leadership won’t throw us under the bus. They’re good like that :D

Good.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/959144810861834240

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/959145123413192704

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I've been keeping an eye on that, and that kind of lockin always seemed super skeezy to me. Sure, we'll sell you the item, but we own all the embedded software it needs to run. Imagine if any time you changed the tires on your car you had to call up Ford or Toyota to get a New Tire unlock code, only $299.95!

It was funny watching every major manufacturer flip out and lobby against the Right to Repair bill every time it comes up.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Imagine if any time you changed the tires on your car you had to call up Ford or Toyota to get a New Tire unlock code, only $299.95!

Please don't give them any ideas. Let's not forget that Keurig tried to DRM little cups filled with ground coffee.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sheep posted:

Please don't give them any ideas. Let's not forget that Keurig tried to DRM little cups filled with ground coffee.

Jucerio was funnier.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I thought Juceria was some sort of North Korean voodoo religion,

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"The Keurig of X" is a magnet for VC money

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Keurig of squeezing the bag yourself.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sheep posted:

Don't forget the time Keurig tried to make a Keurig for Pop.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Kurieg posted:

Username/post combo

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Kurieg posted:

I didn't realize they made a $350 machine that served $1 8oz servings.

Apparently they've just announced a merger with Dr Pepper Snapple Group to form Keurig Dr Pepper.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I've been keeping an eye on that, and that kind of lockin always seemed super skeezy to me. Sure, we'll sell you the item, but we own all the embedded software it needs to run. Imagine if any time you changed the tires on your car you had to call up Ford or Toyota to get a New Tire unlock code, only $299.95!

It was funny watching every major manufacturer flip out and lobby against the Right to Repair bill every time it comes up.

It's pretty much already like that if you want to do anything involving the onboard electronics.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Username/post combo
You aren't the first person to make that observation, yes.

MisterOblivious posted:

I didn't realize they made a $350 machine that served $1 8oz servings.

$1 8oz servings that had giant, non-recyclable, plastic cups as waste.

They did a buy-back/refund campaign.

MisterOblivious posted:

Apparently they've just announced a merger with Dr Pepper Snapple Group to form Keurig Dr Pepper.

They were also in talks with Budweiser at one point.

Let that fuel your nightmares.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I think there is a Nextel app you can get that mimics functionality.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

I think there is a Nextel app you can get that mimics functionality.
If this is produced or officially sanctioned by Sprint/Nextel i hope they go out of business faster than they already are.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sprint.sdcplus&hl=en

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

duz posted:

It's pretty much already like that if you want to do anything involving the onboard electronics.

NAVIGATION READY
$500-$700 DEALER UNLOCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YcpWYAido&t=224s

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Kurieg posted:

That would have been preferable.

Dr Pepper Snapple Group owns a whole bunch of low-profit and nostalgia brands. The new holding company is likely to look for "inefficiencies" to eliminate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Pepper_Snapple_Group#Products

There are some regional brands on that list I'd hate to see discontinued.

Funny coincidence: the distributor for, and former bottler of, those same regional brands is also the local Budweiser distributor back home.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kurieg posted:

This exists, which seems like it's halfway there.

https://www.picobrew.com

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a major project came in.

This is the first project I've done onsite with the boss/owner of the company I work for.

So last night I work a full day, then drive to the client site to deploy a completely new environment. New servers, workstations, network equipment domain and an onsite exchange server. We get some bad weather, roads are slippery and terrible. Takes me over an hour to do what is normally a 20 minute trip. Get to the site, boss shows me around and the client leaves.

Boss: "Ok, get going with the server setup and data transfer, I'm going to a concert. See you tomorrow" and he leaves.

So I start the server to server data transfer, setup some basic things up and go home because I can do most of this remotely. I don't need to be there until the data transfer is actually completed sometime the next day.

Later that night I get a text. "Hey, sorry for bailing on you, meet me at *restaurant by client site* at 9:30, ill buy you breakfast.

So I think, OK, sounds good.

This morning rolls around. I'm half way to the client site. I get a text from the boss

"Hey, swing by the office and grab 3 red 2" patch cables and a wireless mouse and keyboard set."

Its literally on the opposite end of the city from where I am. Plows have only been on a few of the major arteries and almost no sand or salt has been put out so roads are still slick and slow going. Takes me about an hour to get there. Pull into the parking lot, get into the office and I get another text.

"Hey, I'm leaving the restaurant, see you at the client site"

I really hope the interview I went to on Thursday pans out...

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 3, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

That would have been preferable.

Dr Pepper Snapple Group owns a whole bunch of low-profit and nostalgia brands. The new holding company is likely to look for "inefficiencies" to eliminate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Pepper_Snapple_Group#Products

There are some regional brands on that list I'd hate to see discontinued.

Funny coincidence: the distributor for, and former bottler of, those same regional brands is also the local Budweiser distributor back home.

Not going to lie. I love me some RC. Nice crisp, bubbly, and cheap soda. Hope they don't kill that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

blackswordca posted:

Later that night I get a text. "Hey, sorry for bailing on you, meet me at *restaurant by client site* at 9:30, ill buy you breakfast.

This morning rolls around. I'm half way to the client site. I get a text from the boss

"Hey, swing by the office and grab 3 red 2" patch cables and a wireless mouse and keyboard set."

Is it just me or does this seem like a really obvious "after the booze from last night wore off I realised actually I don't want to buy you breakfast"?

Surprised he didn't ask you to fetch a bucket of elbow grease and some headlight fluid.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

2" patch cables seems like they're not very useful.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Maybe as cufflinks.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

blackswordca posted:

So a major project came in.

This is the first project I've done onsite with the boss/owner of the company I work for.

So last night I work a full day, then drive to the client site to deploy a completely new environment. New servers, workstations, network equipment domain and an onsite exchange server. We get some bad weather, roads are slippery and terrible. Takes me over an hour to do what is normally a 20 minute trip. Get to the site, boss shows me around and the client leaves.

Boss: "Ok, get going with the server setup and data transfer, I'm going to a concert. See you tomorrow" and he leaves.

So I start the server to server data transfer, setup some basic things up and go home because I can do most of this remotely. I don't need to be there until the data transfer is actually completed sometime the next day.

Its literally on the opposite end of the city from where I am. Plows have only been on a few of the major arteries and almost no sand or salt has been put out so roads are still slick and slow going. Takes me about an hour to get there. Pull into the parking lot, get into the office and I get another text.

"Hey, I'm leaving the restaurant, see you at the client site"

I really hope the interview I went to on Thursday pans out...

Slaughtering your boss and hiding the body would be justifiable homicide. No jury of your peers would vote to convict you. And you can't spell slaughter without laughter!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Weatherman posted:

Slaughtering your boss and hiding the body would be justifiable homicide. No jury of your peers would vote to convict you. And you can't spell slaughter without laughter!

A jury of IT peers would try and award damages to the defendant for pain and suffering.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PirateDentist posted:

A jury of IT peers would try and award damages to the defendant for pain and suffering.

And that's exactly why the jury of peers would be all from marketing and office managers.

edit: and a project manager as the jury foreman

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

They are good for wiring from a patch panel to a switch. Or from a phone to a PC if you want to drive someone nuts.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Oops, meant 2'

Just got home after a 14 hour day. Have to go back tomorrow with a bunch of SSDs because the boss forgot to tell me that all the workstations were getting HDD upgrades. Plus I have to "fix" a licensing issue with a decades old dictation program not releasing the license back to the USB fob..

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

blackswordca posted:

Oops, meant 2'

Just got home after a 14 hour day. Have to go back tomorrow with a bunch of SSDs because the boss forgot to tell me that all the workstations were getting HDD upgrades. Plus I have to "fix" a licensing issue with a decades old dictation program not releasing the license back to the USB fob..

2 foot cables? The only *possible* way I can see those working is to connect a VOIP phone in a cubicle where the network ports are desk height. But even then it seems to be a poor choice in length as it really limits phone placement based on personal preference.

As an aside, that’s one thing I really miss after moving from our old facility. The network ports were all desk height and the desk had a good sized cable hole right in front of it. I also miss having power receptacles both along the floor and at desk height. Also the little cable channels along the back edge of the desks to hide anything run above the desk and suspension cutouts for under the desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

2 foot cables? The only *possible* way I can see those working is to connect a VOIP phone in a cubicle where the network ports are desk height. But even then it seems to be a poor choice in length as it really limits phone placement based on personal preference.

He uses them to go from the patch panel to the switch mostly.