Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

I have no idea why this of all things is my limit but I just can't accept that this is real. It just seems impossible.

In retrospect, we really missed out on a rich, meaty seam of comedy by not keeping a spreadsheet of which minute detail broke which goon's mind over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

In retrospect, we really missed out on a rich, meaty seam of comedy by not keeping a spreadsheet of which minute detail broke which goon's mind over the years.

I think Chris' letter to the Escapist was a huge percentage. That's when I knew 100% it was a scam.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Virtual Captain posted:

If I had pledged that artist dudes resignation letter would have been my refund point. Doorgate was also pretty bad, dunno which was first.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Seems like somebody else has figured out CIG's magical server mesh technology.

quote:

I was so skeptical that I read their entire website twice just to make sure there was no sign of the word “blockchain” anywhere before I sent them an email. After reaching them by Skype late last week and pressing them long and hard about the project, I’m cautiously optimistic.

What they claim to have done is built a game map bigger than The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim and mounted it in Google’s SpatialOS cloud platform. They then coupled that world with an end-user client built from Crytek’s CryEngine, leaning on its real-time rendering technology to drive the experience on the player’s PC.

Simply put, they built the servers to do only what they’re good at, which is handling lots of data and moving parts. Then, they built the client to do only what it’s good at, which is pushing pixels, polygons and lighting effects out of the monitor and into the player’s eyeballs. By doing so, said computer scientist James Thompson, they’ve managed to free up a lot of computational overhead to make dramatic improvements to the quality of the game world.

When they say that Project X will be “higher fidelity” than its competitors, they don’t mean simply in terms of graphical enhancements. They mean in the depth of the immersion. Reactive wildlife. Player footprints. Dynamic fire. Persistent destruction. Foliage displacement.

From there the goal is a 400-player, squad-based version and in 2019 a 1,000-player open-world sandbox, complete with single-player missions and objectives.

It all sounds, quite frankly, a little too good to be true. But they swear it isn’t.

“It’s actually SpatialOS in combination with CryEngine that makes it work,” said Thompson. “You need a fully real-time graphical simulation to be able to translate that experience to the user. Not only do you need a really vast amount of scalability on the server, but you can’t actually use a lot of those features on Unreal Engine or, in fact, almost any other engine at all.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/2/16965568/project-x-battle-royale-1000-player-automaton-release-date-price-beta

They demo it in 2 weeks.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So, Density isn't updated cause I never play it, but screwing around in gimp and trying to match up face shapes and eye sockets, it looks like they took this dude

Threw Cayde's chin on him

And greebled the piss out of it before calling it a day. It could be a different face, but I'm 100% sure this is a paintover of an exo from one of the various destinies.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MilesK posted:

Seems like somebody else has figured out CIG's magical server mesh technology.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/2/16965568/project-x-battle-royale-1000-player-automaton-release-date-price-beta

They demo it in 2 weeks.

CIG is the loudmouthed drunk in front of a dive bar sitting in a puddle of his own piss and vomit screaming to anyone who'll listen how he's gonna kick all their asses.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Fun and informative stuff.

G0RF you always make me feel like I’m not good enough, you always have such great and deptgy insights. Thank you! :glomp:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

DapperDon posted:

He does that a lot. He suffers from a severe case of identity crisis. That guy has more personalities than you could shake a stick at.

If he has a multiple personality disorder, you'd probably have to shake a human being at him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

Close. 50/50-chance that it's actually like this:
code:
// Determines which actor is at fault for a collision
// returns true if actor a is at fault, false if actor b is at fault
bool IsBlame(entityActor a, entityActor b)
{
	// The backers will never know
	if(Random(100) < 50)) {
		return true;
	return false;
	}
	// Hey Johnny, I noticed you had forgot the squirly things like an amateur so I added them back,
	// also, what's with the different indentations? /ChrisR
}

Hahaha plz no friend.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Rugganovich posted:

If he has a multiple personality disorder, you'd probably have to shake a human being at him.

I'm fresh out of those.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

"What are star citizen dollars in real dollars?" is still my all time #1

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Derek and Streetroller fighting is what this thread needs to get through these dark times.

I have blocked him. Life's too short, and I don't have time to be having Internet arguments with someone who desperately seeks attention and acceptance lest he slink back to obscurity and nobody notices.

At least we will always have our Discord chat logs.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

"What are star citizen dollars in real dollars?" is still my all time #1

That was incredible and every time I think about it I have the insane urge to go back and read all the old threads from start to finish.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody got their crossbow yet?

It would be a good troll account to just post the dates from the 3.0 schedule whenever anyone asks how a feature is progressing on reddit. We should have gas giants and gas cloud tech done by now, not to mention the female model.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Life's too short, and I don't have time to be having Internet arguments with someone who desperately seeks attention and acceptance lest he slink back to obscurity and nobody notices.

:allears:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Okay so another annoying question. But your amazing work tends to provoke those. So what is your preferred instrument when doing these? Do you use a tablet and stylus like a Wacom or do you just mouse it? Also, do you use any custom brushes/filters for your work? I could probably sit and talk with you all day long about how you accomplish your art. But I am really trying to step up my Adobe game and like your sense of aesthetics when it comes to these.

Posting from the past now, but my background for pshop is that I spent a few years retouching quite literally thousands upon thousands of photos for catalogues, books and brochures for my then job. I moved away from that cos of burnout and kept my hand in by doing regular pshop stuff for friends and family. That's the base of my skills. I don't use any bespoke filters etc, just the vanilla photoshop. Once you get your head around how powerful a tool it is anything is possible. I just use keyboard and mouse. I used to use a wacom (an A3 size one) but haven't used it in, like 20 years - it's in a cupboard in my flat gathering dust. Once you get your head around what photoshop can do a wacom becomes irrelevant unless you're tracing art or making art (by which I mean drawing it) and my stuff just involves retouching, or rather manipulation of images so to speak. PM me if you want to know more :)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hey, you seem to have a thing hanging on your, no right, left a bit, right a bit, no left, no right some more, no...

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

Missed tax on phone

That, that is one fiiine catte. Is it your catte Ras?

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

I feel like the fidelity bar has been lowered with the monocle. You should see a warped version of the person's eye like in the picture below.

The SC monocle just looks weird with nothingness behind the lens.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Life's too short, and I don't have time to be having Internet arguments with someone who desperately seeks attention and acceptance lest he slink back to obscurity and nobody notices.

Oh My God.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My prediction for the year; Chris's team is desperately working overtime to produce "homestead" elements that backers can purchase to outfit their plots of land. The plots aren't actually in the game, but are equivalent to the hangar in the sense that it's an empty space where you can put stuff. This way backers can play with what their homestead will look like and tailor it just so.

Six months later CIG will sell "pre-colonization" passes that will allow backers to, for free, install the homestead that they designed on their plot of land before the game begins.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Galarox posted:

That, that is one fiiine catte. Is it your catte Ras?

No this little poo poo is:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I gotta admit some coffee went up my nose on that one.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Oooh man thankyou for these wonderful vids. they really made me lol. There are some wierd and wonderful people out there on the interwebs eh. I particularly liked Experimental Skin's one with it all disolving into mindless violence :lol:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

omg :kimchi: that is also a fiine fiine catte :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nunes posted:

I feel like the fidelity bar has been lowered with the monocle. You should see a warped version of the person's eye like in the picture below.

The SC monocle just looks weird with nothingness behind the lens.

Apparently historically monocles were more of a status thing than a practical thing and many did not have corrective lenses in them. I think CIG has owned us again lol

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Raskolnikov posted:

majestic as gently caress

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Crobbers should get James Cameron on as a creative consultant because that guy sure knows a lot about sinking ships.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

CrazyTolradi posted:

Crobbers should get James Cameron on as a creative consultant because that guy sure knows a lot about sinking ships.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

Crobbles couldn't afford him. Not now after he has spunked $170 million anyways.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CrazyTolradi posted:

I've been hearing people say James Cameron is a hack, so at the very least he'd fit right in with their version of CryEngine.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I think Chris' letter to the Escapist was a huge percentage. That's when I knew 100% it was a scam.

Crobbles escapist letter was a large part of the reason I gave for wanting a refund. Actually - tbh I pleaded financial armageddon, but when they asked if there was something in particular in media/evil individual terms that made me doubt... (ie- hint hint pls say it was Derek/Escapist article) I said um - Crobbles reply rant to the Escapist was the tipping point for me. And that was the truth too :lol:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I've been hearing people say James Cameron is a hack, so at the very least he'd fit right in with their version of CryEngine.
He's working on his own movie version of Star Citizen right now, oddly enough.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

D_Smart posted:

:ironicat:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

D_Smart posted:

I have blocked him. Life's too short, and I don't have time to be having Internet arguments with someone who desperately seeks attention and acceptance lest he slink back to obscurity and nobody notices.

:ironicat:

e: fb

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Galarox posted:

Oooh man thankyou for these wonderful vids. they really made me lol. There are some wierd and wonderful people out there on the interwebs eh. I particularly liked Experimental Skin's one with it all disolving into mindless violence :lol:

There's always more, and it's always better!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TISM

A lot of AU and Melbourne specific cultural references, but the most awesome band of the 80-90s

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Experimental Skin posted:

There's always more, and it's always better!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TISM

A lot of AU and Melbourne specific cultural references, but the most awesome band of the 80-90s

Oh god - I know I probably shouldn't have such a childish sense of humour but when I read their names I was literally crying with laughter

quote:

The group were formed on 30 December 1982 by vocalist/drummer Humphrey B. Flaubert, bassist/vocalist Jock Cheese and keyboardist/vocalist Eugene de la Hot Croix Bun

...Jock Cheese... :heysexy: :dance:

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Galarox posted:

Oh god - I know I probably shouldn't have such a childish sense of humour but when I read their names I was literally crying with laughter

...Jock Cheese... :heysexy: :dance:

One more then I'll shut up. Live they were phenomenal :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJGvmBiNiDY

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Derek has a far better sense of humor than people give him credit for.