Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The official Discord turned into a massive shitshow today with people screaming at the devs about not getting keys. We could make a Discord of our own but that might be better served waiting until the EA launch.

Also be aware the game is pretty unoptimized currently and that's one of their major tasks before EA hits. If that bothers you in a competitive shooter you may want to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I didn't get in to the stress test, but I did watch a couple streamers play it. Game looks like it could be fun, even in an early alpha state. That's a promising sign.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Zaodai posted:

I didn't get in to the stress test, but I did watch a couple streamers play it. Game looks like it could be fun, even in an early alpha state. That's a promising sign.

I watched Shroud play it a little yesterday and he was really up on the game. Said he really liked it a lot.

That also came after the game where he queued solo and killed 7/9 people in his map, so ymmv.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Orv posted:

The official Discord turned into a massive shitshow today with people screaming at the devs about not getting keys. We could make a Discord of our own but that might be better served waiting until the EA launch.

I was there, it wasn't too bad but the community managers didn't help themselves with some of the things they came out with. I can understand them saying "don't pm/dm us asking for a key because we wont give you one" as that makes sense, but hinting that you would be put on a blacklist for doing it and that they had keys that they could give to people that are nice to them just made all the bootlickers come out and stroke their egos.

Plus nobody likes being told to go and watch streamers cause they have extra keys to give away. It's just dumb. People there already wanted the game they don't need to go watch some fan boy talking about it to make them want it more. It's not marketing if the customers already have their wallets out.

But I didn't get in and I'm sad in case you hadn't noticed.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I admittedly didn't see most of that, that thing has already taxed my patience for the last week so I just ended up muting everything but announcements and patch notes. Which I probably should have done in the first place, don't visit official forumsdiscords.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Orv posted:

don't visit official forumsdiscords.

Wisdom

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Ill try to get us room in a discord for the few goons that play in Alpha, perhaps get our own eventually as more people join.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Hunt:Showdown Alpha Goons can meetup in the Friday the 13th the game goon discord for now:

https://discordapp.com/invite/AvqGFbM

I designated a channel for H:S. Be chill or we murder you Jason Vorhees style.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zaodai posted:

maybe it was the streamer i was watching, but it looked a bit boring

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Second wave of keys have just gone out.

I didn't get one again.

My balls, they're so blue. If anyone has a spare I would love it like a brother.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Doorknob Slobber posted:

maybe it was the streamer i was watching, but it looked a bit boring

I don't find it either slow or boring - there's a lot of tense moments and risk/reward decision making you are forced into.

Example: Load in with pubbie, he's OK enough but not 100% on the English. We manage to get 3/3 clues just fine, take out one guy who we snuck up on as we approach the area where the boss is. This particular area is surrounded by swamp. There is NO way to approach the boss building without being super exposed.

Also there's gunfire everywhere, east, west, north - we actively see fights happening around the building. So we pick the non-direct extraction point and wait to see how it plays out.

Eventually someone makes off with the bounty - and picks the quickest extraction and doesn't come our way. But this guy only has one of the two bounties. Either his partner died or he was Rambo.

So now we have to choose: Do we go in and try to pick this thing up? Are we the last group on the map? Are there 4 other groups thinking about this right now? Do we stay put?

We ultimately decided to play safe since we were both Tier 1 scrubs, went around to other areas and killed some monsters then extracted with a good amount of EXP and some cash.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So Icey and I got a couple games in last night.

We railed two guys trudging around a swamp in the open, then I knifed a man. :getin:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What's the ratio of walking to actually doing poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

It depends pretty heavily on the match, as people are still frequently dying to mobs before entering PvP situations or farming some XP and getting out. That said, you can cross the entire map in about three or four minutes of constant sprinting, so you're never far away from clues/the boss/firefights.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

dogstile posted:

The pace is up to you really, if you want to go in guns blazing and try to lay waste to every NPC and hunter who comes across your path - you are more than welcome to. (This will likely end with you getting killed by another hunter who hears you from far and is able to easily setup on you.)

If you're asking "Is something in range for me to shoot 100% of the time?" The answer is basically yes.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
3rd wave alpha keys went out this morning, check inboxes folks!

Orv
May 4, 2011
More keys, homiez.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Still no keys you mean. Are they sending out like 5 a day?

Orv
May 4, 2011
No idea honestly, but given the frequency, maybe?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
They're probably sending out a lot but are going to dead / unchecked emails.

Also this: https://twitter.com/maquannas/status/959383172365672448

:prepop:

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 2, 2018

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I don't know anybody who signed up that has got a key. Even their discord is full of "anyone here get on this time? no me neither". I get the feeling this is all just hype.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah yes, the fake closed alpha keys to build hype ploy.

:confused:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I got one last night which I gave to a goon, and one today which I will give to a goon. If I get any more that aren't already claimed by my inner-circle of goon friends then I will offer it here.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i got one

so the key to trying the game is to say the game looks boring in the thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for a key TP, I'll post here sometimes now!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can anyone tell me where to get easy anti cheat so I can play this? I went to the easy anti cheat website and can't find a download link. Game installers should really install this stuff automatically.

dang is there a config file somewhere i can edit so i'm not at super maximum ultra settings and 20 fps

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 3, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can anyone tell me where to get easy anti cheat so I can play this? I went to the easy anti cheat website and can't find a download link. Game installers should really install this stuff automatically.

dang is there a config file somewhere i can edit so i'm not at super maximum ultra settings and 20 fps

I would just play it normally through steam, I don't think "cheating" is a thing yet given it's still closed alpha and low population. IDK what system will be in place at launch.

There are no graphical setting options yet - from what I understand.

Remember, this is closed alpha - not even beta yet. So a good number of features like this won't be functioning yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

It's in the Hunt folder under EasyAntiCheat.

And no, the performance you get is pretty much what you get for now.

This is a list of cvars you can use, but they only get you so far if your computer isn't running the game well (or at least better than that) in the first place.

r_motionblur 0
r_AntialiasingMode 0
r_SSReflections 0
r_TexMinAnisotropy 0
r_sunshafts 0
r_tessellationtrianglesize 1
r_sharpening 0
e_clouds 0
e_lods 40
r_ChromaticAberration 0
r_HDRGrainAmount 0

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I would just play it normally through steam, I don't think "cheating" is a thing yet given it's still closed alpha and low population.

it literally wouldn't start the game

Orv posted:

It's in the Hunt folder under EasyAntiCheat.

until i went to this folder and installed it, thanks for the list of potential options

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Now kindly undo these straps.
Looks nice, if anyone has a key left, would be much appreciated! :)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Graphics config poo poo here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/7uum59/lowmedhigh_graphics_guide_configs_fps/

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Servers still down for fixes, hopefully be back today but they made no guarantees.

My favorite moment so far was sneaking up on a group with Ozone. They had just wrapped up a fight with another group of hunters and were on a road leading to the boss (which we had found the location of by chance earlier)

American Hunter: "Alright, he should be in that building there, looks clear so far"
Russian Hunter: "WE KILL BOSS?"
American Hunter: "Yeah, I want to go around to..."
Russian Hunter: "WE KILL BOSS?" *Turning, sees me aiming at his head* "AHHH poo poo!"

That round we got the drop on two full groups, picked off another solo and accounted for 3 more dead - meaning that we were free to take down the boss as we were the last alive on the map. We skipped happily to the exits.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Servers back up. After many crashes and restarts I finally got in a game. I saw a zombie and lined up my sights. I pulled the trigger and the server crashed. Then the game crashed.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
We had a few server hangups last night, seems like the NA server is still having convulsions now and again.

After a few rounds with Ozone where we both got thoroughly schlonged - we decided to squeeze in one more with some throwaway hunters armed with only shotguns and revolvers for close-combat fuckery. (aka: "We 100% know we're going to die")

We meander around, making as much noise as possible and laying waste to anything nearby. Someone begins banishment early in the match - ALL the way across the map. (we were in SW, Butcher was NE by lake) We decide to see if we can even get to the area before the bounty is picked up and sprint over.

We make it to the church south of the lake as the bounty is nabbed. For some reason the guy decides the safest way off the map is south through the church and within our shotgun range. I wind up stabbing the guy to death then Ozone and I make off with 1 bounty - we didn't even bother for the 2nd.

Not bad for a couple of guys with a deathwish.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So far my adventures have ended in crashes. Granted I'm using an ancient computer so I understand that a closed, unoptomimzed alpha isn't going to treat me too great. Today I crashed because I stood in a place too long. I checked a text message and the game crashed. I did manage to kill another hunter because he was fixated on zombies. As soon as he died the game crashed. I'm enjoying it so far.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
Does anybody know when more keys are going to go out?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

More keys just went out about an hour ago. Not sure when the next wave is, I got one which surprised me.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Best of luck getting the game to work right now. Me and my randomly assignee Korean partner are trying to hunt monsters across the language barrier. I kept typing "don't shoot" but he kept shooting and drew the attention of other hunters and got us both murdered.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
If anyone got an extra key, feel free to send it my way. No response yet from any of my emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I feel like they're real scarce with the keys right now. I signed up back in November. On the upside the game is running much better today. I killed some other players. Heads up though, always pay the extra for a hunter with a machete or silenced M1895. That way you can kill mobs without letting the whole loving map know your location.