Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Name: Stårn
Skills: Siege Weapons +15Butterfly Beastmaster, Timing +25
HP: 3
Glory: 35 -> 36 -> 7

Well, that could have gone better, but at least they had more field testing data with the Ram. And more importantly, the Önäger. With knowledge on how it worked, they could start improving it beyond a mere prototype, which was a necessity would they want to crack something more substantial than a mere out of the way village.

But first, he had to take stock of things, there were a ton of things to address. First in line, visitors.

WereGoat posted:

Hey Starn, sorry, I'm having trouble transporting the skull with this arm. Can you get it ok for when you need it?" Giving skull to seige team 6

Stårn nodded sharply as Hob approached him. "Sacrifices for the good of Sieging are always appreciated, soldier. Siege Team 6 thanks you!"

That pleasant surprise out of the way, Stårn started his rounds, checking on his squad, seeing what they were up to.

Sucy was doing her duties as usual as Stårn approached her, expression uncharacteristically grim. "I got your message. I think", he merely stated, "Is it the strange ring? I cannot deny that such an ability would be amazing for organizing Sieges, but it's still Old Guy magic. Be careful, alright?"

Grumbus was making ammunition, commendable initiative, even if he was seemingly having some difficulty. Stårn rubbed his chin as he inspected the work.

"Hm. Could be better", he stated bluntly, "But we could make something functional out of it. However, I believe our time would be best used trying to make field calibrations and adjustments to the Önäger to make it more reliable to operate. After all, special ammo or no, a single shot from an Önäger hardly makes a Siege! At least we have that boomstick you bought, and we can always add these nails that keep laying around as shrapnel if it comes to it."

"Siege Team 6!" he hollered, "And any volunteers with pluck or craftsman's ability, or just strong arms to do work with! We need to put the data gained from the Önäger's test run into practice! To shave of imperfection! To iterate towards the OPTIMAL siege engine! We have an evening only, but that should be enough to fix some of the more glaring errors in its current design."

He'd draw up the plans, organize the start of the word, give idle Nailbound some busywork on the thing, and then he'd be off to the meeting.

AJ_Impy posted:

Captain Stårn, how best can we assist in siege operations from the inside?"

"Hmm", Stårn rubbed his chin for a bit, "Well-"

Stårn grimaced slightly at being so interrupted, even more so at Bamboo's interruption. He rubbed his temples. This is why he preferred Sieging to people. After things winded down a bit, he had his say.

"...I shall begin by saying that Captain Noggins is not entirely wrong, she has good Sieging sense in that regard. Noostra has a population in the tens of thousands, more soldiers than our horde several times over, most likely. Thus, a protracted Siege is an unlikely proposition. What we need is a precision Siege instead. We are there for the Thumbscrew, and whatever it is Warlord Grimper wants to do with it, and it is what we should beeline for. Sure, it is excessively dangerous, but" Stårn shot Noggins a sharp glance, "something that we are bound to do. In this we should not be too meek to use whatever edge we can find. I will not have our hordemates die because their leadership has more compassion for the enemy's lives than they do for theirs."

Stårn paced about the Room for a bit.

"So, we have a force inferior in numbers, but hopefully by this point superior in individual skill. Or, we have a number of people like that, at least. We assault an enemy within a heavily fortified position, but that is likely fairly diffuse within that position. Now, Sieging facts: if you have local superiority in numbers, not only will you inflict more damage on the enemy, but you will also take fewer casualties than might be expected. Every good sieger thus knows to strike with overwhelming force at a weak point in enemy lines, and so should we. We need to take Noostra by relative surprise, we absolutely cannot allow them to coalesce their forces within the city to face our horde head on, we will lose that match. We must appear quickly and without warning, and we must gain entry to the city quickly, and without warning. Once inside, we can utilize the important Sieging concepts of urban funneling to limit our exposure to enemy forces and pick fights where we have local superiority as we approach the Thumbscrew."

Stårn lifted a finger. "There are ways for us to gain entry. The Infiltration squad could infiltrate a gatehouse and open it for us. However, they are the squad with the most responsibility with this mission already. We could charge a gate with the Ram, but we will likely face ranged reprisal, and this plan is likely to take the longest time. We could crash open a gate with the Önäger from range, but unless my planned field improvements go flawlessly, there is a good likelihood we cannot use it for anything else during the battle."

"Other Sieging techniques the Infiltration Squad could partake in is poisoning the supplies of the barracks nearest to our planned route of entry", Stårn grinned, "I mean, I do not doubt your ability, but you're still too few to get to all of the barracks and we do not have enough poison anyways. But this plan will make the initial enemy reinforcements slower to appear, and weaker once they do. Whistling flower should do fine, we have supplies of that, and it is benign enough that it does not cause immediate alarm, as so diluted it is easy to mistake for food poisoning from bad rations."

Stårn clapped his hands, "So to recap, during this Siege, we need to appear suddenly and without warning, our initial strike must be bold and penetrate their defences, after which we can use terrain to our advantage as we go all-in towards the objective. Scouting a path to the Thumbscrew and planning the initial penetration is essential."

"Thoughts?"

As my Item I am taking a cool hat (not wearing it for now though)
Siege Weapons to utilize gathered battle data to make field adjustments to the Önäger Prototype: 1d100+50=51
A nat 1 gives me a Luck's Fickle Gaze Reroll
Siege Weapons to utilize gathered battle data to make field adjustments to the Önäger Prototype: 1d100+50=61
As my last thing this turn, feeding my Breakerfly 29 Glory to get it to the next levelup, and feeding the Chrysalis that forms Agenou's Skull. DK has confirmed the Chrysalis will hatch on the march to Noostra, before the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AJ_Impy posted:

At Bamboo's intrusion and implied threats, the Infiltrator Captain's ire was raised. He stepped out and blocked off any easy retreat to say . . .

Theantero posted:

Stårn grimaced slightly at being so interrupted, even more so at Bamboo's interruption. He rubbed his temples. This is why he preferred Sieging to people. After things winded down a bit, he had his say.

To be clear, Bamboo's message was for Snödis alone, and was spoken softly through the 'walls' without interrupting your meeting.

So unless you want to roll off to detect her and or detain her, best just leave the little psychopath alone.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

CourValant posted:

To be clear, Bamboo's message was for Snödis alone, and was spoken softly through the 'walls' without interrupting your meeting.

So unless you want to roll off to detect her and or detain her, best just leave the little psychopath alone.

You realise that these

are the walls in question?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AJ_Impy posted:

You realise that these

are the walls in question?

For whatever reason, I thought the meeting was being held in a tent; did I miss a post about it being conducted in a building?

The message was meant for Snodis alone, as it concerned a member of her squad.

No harm no foul I suppose, I'll make it more specific next time; Bamboo wouldn't just barge in on a meeting she wasn't invited to and leave herself open to being 'accosted' in that manner, is what I'm trying to say.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

CourValant posted:

No harm no foul

FYI - It's generally poor form to do posts where your character can say whatever you'd like, and yet you simultaneously dictate no one else can respond. Turns things more into your personal monologue rather than an interactive game. It also comes across worse when your character is dropping insults during said monologues. It's pretty advisable to make sure your roleplay is inclusive and can be built on by the people you are interacting with rather than just shutting things down. Feeling like you're hamstrung in being able to respond to something that gets put "on screen" for no other reason than that same player's dictation doesn't feel real fair. I think you can probably find a way to thread the needle between your character doing what they want and feeling like they had a cool moment, without preventing others from having that same opportunity.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
e: accident, post on hold.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

He listened intently to Captain Stårn's presentation, his thoughts hidden for the moment.

"So, the best option for Infiltration Squad: Do what we can to clear a path in to the objective and out again afterwards. A Gatehouse is a tough ask, but perhaps not impossible. How about a Sally port, if we can find one? In any case, finding a weak spot for the precision strike. I suspect we also need to up the chaos to prevent the enemy response getting too organised against the horde, diversions and suchlike. I'm leery of poisoning one barracks, we're up against a canny enemy. I might poison unrelated barracks across the city, chosen to require reassignment of personnel and other upheavals, but again, not sure how viable that is. Speed is of the essence after all."

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
<---- (Makeshift Sacrifire)
Squad: Infiltration
Skill: Sleuthing +20 (), Watching +20 (using), Submission Holds.
HP: 2/3
Glory: 2

Successful Businessmanga posted:

Humbug can have Gado's +1 club if he has no plans for a weapon going forward, otherwise it's just gonna sit in a ditch :v:

Humbug held up the Belmysmut Club and tested its heft for a few minutes. It was close enough to a Watch cudgel - a proper headknocker - to bring back memories of the good old days, when he and his buddies would wander through messy, narrow streets all hopped up on pride, ale and vinegar, chasing down and beating up the occasional thief, scallywag, or even the odd bystander giving them lip and making fun of their uniforms. It'd been a while, ten... no, eleven years since he'd walked the beat like that.

For a while he swung at thin air, humming quietly to himself, and got used to the weight and feel of it while he waited for any of the other Infiltrators to volunteer. When it was clear nobody else was feeling up to it, the Sleuth shook his head and went to fetch all of the Plan's paraphernalia and one of the left-over Ruddy Chargers. He'd need a fast horse to catch up with the fleeing soldiers and civvies of Öxnyard to join the refugee throng in order to make the Plan more effective, so he was happy one was still available, even though - looking at the wild and fierce beast - his hips were probably gonna regret the journey soon enough.

AJ_Impy posted:

Secondly, we need to Set in motion our plans to infiltrate Noostra ahead of the siege.

Not longer after they'd parted the first time, Humbug lead the horse on past Splut and waved him down.

"Hum, right... don't much seem like the others are up for heading off right away - not that I've seen anyway - so I'll do it. I'm thinking of slipping in under the guise of being a civvie and investigating ways to smuggle people past the walls. Prob'ly gonna pawn the horse or hand it off to the proper authorities and hope for a reward. Got a couple more things to take care of first, but then I'll be riding hell for leather, so if you've got any final words, don't wait too long."

-----------------------

"HORDE! I've got one of the Agenou shields and today only, you can cough up some glory and have it instead," bellowed Humbug, holding up the shield up and banging it a few times for melodic emphasis.

"Any takers?"

------> HUMBUG OFFERS TO SELL A TUNED SHIELD FOR 4 TO 8 GLORY

He'd let the highest bidder get it - or if he lucked out to get someone paying the full eight, he'd go pluck another item from Magda's store. He would need every advantage he could get. And if he couldn't sell it at all, despite how useful these things were proving to be... well, he had someone in mind he'd let it go to.

---------------------

After taking care of his business, Humbug hopped on the charger. The darkness was starting to fade - and if he wanted to avoid being spotted by butterfly scouts and the like leaving town. Being a few hours behind, he'd have to keep a careful watch to avoid prying eyes, or at least see them far enough ahead that he could act like the scared, fleeing Frö they'd expect him to be.

Humbug canonically heads off an hour or two after the initial battle and won't be around for the rest of the Downtime. Anyone wanting to talk could still have run into him before then.

Free loot: Ruddy Charger
Free core: Jaune's Patience +25 - claiming Submission Holds.
Magda purchase: Makeshift Sacrifire
Downtime action: Follow The-Plan, ride to noostra while being Watchful of having the cover blown: 1d100+21+10(order) 99

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hey, just tossing Ringo’s healing roll here for now. Will edit in a post later. I rolled really poorly!

Help with medical stuff! (Accuracy): 10d100+10+25 322 [10d100=24, 83, 68, 9, 18, 53, 2, 5, 8, 17]

Reroll 2
Reroll For healing (2): 1d100 86

Total: 406

Ringo’s having an off day, trying to follow Gryph’s techniques.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Name: Brumble
Skills: Taking (+15), painting
HP: 3/3
Stuff: Dance-Fighter Garb, Reedblade, Feral Warboar, Agenou’s Cape Sash, Basker Cloak, Jaune's Broken Nails, Valuables
Glory: 17

Battle complete, Brumble was quick to join in looting the dead commander, scrambling to get one of the better skillcores, his own Taking throbbing in resonance.

Then, it was time to finally get what he was here for: a cure for walking.
Cajoling one of the fiercest looking boars into comliance, he was getting used to riding it when he saw Bamboo chugging Mushbrëwm.

CourValant posted:

Bamboo took the offered bottle of mushbrewm from Trinh, and with a nod of thanks, drained it with a shudder . . .

"Hey, Bamboo, catch!"
Tossing his own bottle to her, he slowly rode past.
"I don't really like the taste, and I'm running out of space anyways."

Getting back to the camp, it was time to earn some goodwill.
He cracked his knuckles and started taking care of the wounded in whatever way he could.

Free looting feral warboar, also some nails.
Giving Mushbrëwm to Bamboo.
Looting core: Building +25: 44
Taking care of the wounded: 1d100+15+17 114

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Name: Somnö
Skills: BIGNESS +20 (using), Jumping +25, Smashing +10
HP 3/3
Gear: Ball and Chain (+1), Drummers Garb XXXL (+2), Iron Shield, Mushbrëwm, Jerky (not pictured)
Cosmetics: Nail and Fist Token
Glory: 13
Ritual Glory: 1

Look at this mess. Both the wreckage of the building that Jaune had assembled, and the carnage of the battle. Somnö picked through the bounty and found something that interested her, the Smashing +15 skillcore from Pendelo.

Swipe Smashing +15 Skillcore: 1d100 56

She also grabbed a large handful of spare nails and put them in her pocket. Ow ow ow owowowow. She took the nails and put them in a sack. She had plans for them in the future, but right now there were more pressing matters.

Somnö could see Noggins was in pain. Both physically, and emotionally. Somnö had a place in heart for her captain, the first person to ever believe in her. Somnö put her arm handed Noggins the Mushbrëwm and hoped it would give her some relief, one way or the other. Somnö also handed her the jerky she had kept from -- Hey! Where did the jerky go? She was nearly certain she had saved it. Or maybe she absentmindedly ate it with everyone else. Weird.

Give Mushbrëwm to Noggins. Removed jerky from inventory because Dogkisser is a big meanie she never had it all???? :iiam:

Somnö looked for the largest, sturdiest pöny she could find. One strong and brave enough to support her. Both physically, and emotionally. She patted it and sussurred in its ear to calm it down, and tried to sit atop of it.

Attempt to Charm an Armored Charger: 1d100 45

Noggins said to stand guard but Somnö felt that tending to the wounded was a much higher priority. She used her size to clear the rubble and bring the Unexpectables to the triage area.

Massively Mend Maimed 'mates: 1d100+20+13 111

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Green Intern posted:

Ringo’s having an off day, trying to follow Gryph’s techniques.

Nah, you're following them fine. Gryph's techniques aren't up to it this downtime.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Scribbleykins posted:

Not longer after they'd parted the first time, Humbug lead the horse on past Splut and waved him down.

"Hum, right... don't much seem like the others are up for heading off right away - not that I've seen anyway - so I'll do it. I'm thinking of slipping in under the guise of being a civvie and investigating ways to smuggle people past the walls. Prob'ly gonna pawn the horse or hand it off to the proper authorities and hope for a reward. Got a couple more things to take care of first, but then I'll be riding hell for leather, so if you've got any final words, don't wait too long."

"Only this: The very best of luck, and if you don't recognise me, the passphrase will be 'The Queen's Dance'. If you can, see about identifying sally ports or vulnerable gatehouses, anything to help the horde get in and out."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Name: Jö, the Nailed Fostis Butcher
Skills: Butchery (Using), Impatience +15, Clouting (CD)
Glory: 6 >7 > 2
Roll Modifiers: -9 all rolls
Must obey all orders: Immune to orders from Hob
Items:
-Drum (Battle loot)
-Froman Sword +1
-Belmysut Guard Uniform +1
-Coffin, Comfy AF (Building/Upgrading?)
-Baby Boarlet (rolling for?)

While looking around for the perfect materials (rather the animals to butcher for the perfect materials) for his comfy coffin, Jö came upon Magda's wagon and saw that the Toans were filling up a pot labeled Fickle Luck. Someone ordered the Nailbound politely asked Jö and some others to pitch in. So Jo did, he toosed 5 glory into the Fickle Luck pot.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

[quote="Sax Battler" post="480924610"]

Name: Brumble
Skills: Taking (+15), painting
Stuff: Dance-Fighter Garb, Reedblade, Feral Warboar, Agenou’s Cape Sash, Basker Cloak, Jaune's Broken Nails, Valuables
Glory: 7

Putting ten Glory to luck's fickle gaze.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Name: Verika
HP: 2/2
Skills: Perception +30 (active), Sniping +15
Equipment: Fröman Cuirass (+1), Iron Shield, Arrow Flatpack, Ornate Bowharp (+2), Ruddy Charger, Blixthäst (+5)
Cosmetics: Nail and Fist Token, Agenou's Cape Sash, Sikatris Scarf, Basker Cloak, Slightly-Cracked Telescope, Jaune's Broken Nails
Glory: 11
Ritual Chits: 21 -> 22 -> 0 (artwork bonus)

Öxnyard (Part 7): Verika was trotting through camp on Blixthäst, her first shift on guard duty just having just completed. She was feeling pleasantly buzzed from the Fostis Ale she'd drunk with the other guards - maybe a little too buzzed. Good thing Blixthäst is the one doing the walking, at least. When she passed Magda's shop, Verika noticed that the receptacle for Luck's Fickle Gaze was nearing full. Oh a hunch, she hopped down from Blixthäst (nearly botching the landing) and tied him to a post so she could inspect things a little further, up close.

Yep - Verika had a good eye for these things after all! Magda's tally for the second-rank of the Luck Ritual was at 28/50, meaning... She wasn't ready to do the math in her drunken state, but she thought she had certainly had enough...

Verika deftly removed the pouch containing all her accumulated ritual chits and dumped the whole purse into the bucket. There - that should do it!

Verika puts 22 Ritual Chits in the receptacle for Luck's Fickle Gaze.

:siren: Luck's Fickle Gaze (Rank 2): 50/50 :siren:

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 4, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Name: Portha
Skills: Rummaging, Cleaning, Imagining
Glory: 17 Whatever's left after expenses.

Even with help, Portha really didn't have enough materials to finish all the steps of her prototype, so a visit to Magda was in order.

"Hey Mags, I need a few spare parts to complete this weapon I've been designing. Just some of the broken stuff from the battle at Fostis, nothing like..."

The death glare she received from the quartermaster stopped her mid sentence.

"Fine, take the four glory, but at that price I expect a little more than just scrap. Here's a list of what I need." -4 glory on a weapon upgrade to fill any material gaps in the crossbow construction

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ringo is using his Free Loot action to pick up some Knightly Boots as a weapon for Sucy.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 5, 2018

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Skillcores! Soon, the dusty soil of Oxnyard was a grimy blueberry purple of Fröman lifeblood and ichor, and the Unexpectables were pleased as pigs. The Commander’s corpse was a veritable garden of high quality Cores, but two of them were obviously… off. Without Grimper around to stop them (he’d gone off with Gado somewhere, probably to break his neck or something?) the Horde could have taken them and used their power… but the Neötype Squad was on the scene. Hob tossed one into the flames, warning the others against its corruption, and Dack muscled his way to the front of the group to seize the E̸n͜҉̛͡ģ̛̕i̡̕͟͡͠n̢͘͢e̶͝e̵̵̡͢ŗ̕͏í̶̧͞͡n҉̴̢́̕g̷̛͢ core. Its usefulness couldn’t be ignored, but without Branding it was a fool’s errand to try to wield it. With that awkwardness out of the way, the rest of the partitioning went smoothly!

(Skillcores! Brumble gets Building +25, a Mook gets Measuring +25, Grumbus gets Patience +25, Noggins gets Crafting +25, Verika gets Smithing +25, Somnö gets Smashing +15, Sucy gets Smithing +20, Waesh gets Fisticuffs, Hat gets Carpentry, Gabber (and nine Mooks) get Riding, Gado gets Mining (again!), Humbug gets Submission Holds, Cause (and two Mooks) get Close Quarters Combat, Skronk gets Wrestling, Pythag gets Honor, Snödis gets Secretly Murdering Innocents, Splut gets Camouflage, Neebs gets Surgery +15, Portha gets Bonegineering, Trinh gets Jumping! Mooks get whatever else isn’t listed here, as per the spreadsheet!

Since many collected duplicates, we'll address that here too: Noggins' Crafting +25 folds into Carpentry, bringing it to +30, Verika gets just LOADED with Smithing cores to bring her to +55, Somnö's Smashing rises to +20, Hob's Riding folds into Butterfly Riding, bringing it to +20, Trinh's Jumping rises to +15.)

---
Zapanda couldn't even look at the ruins of Oxnyard. Even before the Horde had come, the place had looked unpleasantly different from how she recalled it from her youth. For as long as she could remember, it had been a place of leisure and fun. Her last happy memory of the place had been swimming in the pond with her sister long ago, before little Sika had become fearsome Commander Sikatris. The ramping up and militarization had come later, once the war broke out in earnest, and it had been here that Zapanda had last seen her kin. Sikatris loomed larger than life (in more ways than one), but the bonds of sisterhood weren't broken by things like that. Her sister had advised, almost begged, her to shutter Nägel and flee further south, away from the front, but Zapanda had refused. The cure was paramount; the war would end some day, but Monsterism would get worse and worse until it was solved. At an impasse, the two had parted with heavy hearts… and now she was back, and odds were if she ever saw her sister again it would be after one of these forsaken battles.

She ministered to the wounded and listened. Jaune had fallen, and they'd already broken her open and took everything that was her from the husk left behind. drat. Jaune had been the best of them, and now that candle, too, had gone out. Rumors were that she'd been infected before she went down. Was that even possible!? Naturally, it wasn't something she'd had the opportunity to test that, but surely the Unity Latt- it didn't matter now. Too little, too late. She snapped out of her misery when she saw Hob, decidedly not a Wendigo, though badly injured. She waved the stretcher over and took a look at him.

He bore the same stigma as the others who had gone down into that Vault - strangely regular skin necrosis, deadened nerves in affected areas, discoloration of pupils, and otherwise perfect health. Those who had survived had been purged of ailments, though none so dramatically as Hob. She set his broken bone (did the stigma extend to the skeletal system?) and surreptitiously took a sample of his blood. There was rather a lot of it available, after all. She wiped her hands clean - “boil some more water, morons!” - and took another look a shaken Gado. The man had survived, but by the looks of his veins only just. But it didn’t matter HOW he’d beaten it, only THAT he had - Monsterism could be beaten! She took notes on how her newest injection had affected him, remarking that her formula had seemed to work incrementally better than the one before. No residual mutations, no blood abnormalities, good enough. She was, however, running out of their original compound to work with, and would have to synthesize more… unless she escaped or was rescued during the chaos at Noostra. She'd keep her mouth shut about it for now.

She waved the next batch of wounded in. “Alright, who’s next? Keep it moving, we haven’t got all night!” She shook her head and wiped blood off her face. “You know the drill people… some of them are going to have to deal with it. Let’s get that guy in here - that’s arterial flow, and that tourniquet isn’t going to cut it. Lay him down over here…”
    Healing = 2441 + 10d100-10 = 416 vs 40d100 = 1899
    Burnie, Bamboo, Biggo, Gado, Hob, Splut, Tix, Rik, Grag, Neebs, Mookay, Flitter, Dummy, Gopher, Valthax, Gorb, Marra, Gigs, Spanks, Shiny, Otter, Beco, Agile, Patsy, Grumbus, Humbug, Noggins, Spleen, Ringo, and 11 Mooks gain 1 HP! Splut, Tix, Rik, Grag, Neebs, Mookay, Marra and 2 Mooks gain an additional 1 HP!
Zapanda hated working with the Nailbound. Inhabiting was one thing - the spell was broken when the mask was removed, allowing for continuity of thought and personality regardless what was performed while wearing it. But erasing memories then allowing a new personality to form atop the wreckage of another? That was just murder with extra steps. Never mind that over time the old memories would resurface, driving the bearer hopelessly insane. But for this, as well as a thousand other things, she held her tongue, and was silently grateful for their help in mending the wounded. She hated the Unexpectable Horde, naturally, and wished fervently for their failure… but it was one thing to hope for that and another to watch them die when she could help them. Many were misguided and lost, and she saw flickers of awareness in a vanishing few of them, but one way or another if she was forced to help them she would do the best job she could. drat them.

---
Before the mess, they’d stripped the bodies of equipment. No sense getting them all bloody before putting them on, right? Well, bloodier than they already were. For the most part, it was a simple, almost mechanical affair, but for the Commander’s gear it was a little trickier. For one thing, Commander’s equipment at almost normal sizes was a hot commodity - it was bound to be way better than the crap the rank and file was wearing. Only, on closer inspection, it really wasn’t. Oh, it was nice enough, and well taken care of, but it wasn’t special. Jaune the Wall had been down to earth and simple in her tastes, and that was reflected in her armor. With the exception, Splut the Bluffer noticed, of her helmet. It looked - and felt - like a metal helm covered in leather, but it reminded him of his Mask. And when he put it on, he felt strangely disoriented. Nothing immediately unusual happened to him, nothing like the Mask, but he suddenly realized that he couldn’t tell where Grimper was. Since the first Nailing, he and the others were intimately aware of, at least, his rough direction, if not his exact location, so it was mighty strange to be stripped of that. It was worth investigating - later. For now, he left the others to it.

Mason the Hollerer stripped Jaune of her armor and tried it on. It fit well enough for his purposes, and it was way more comfortable than his rotten old Fröman cuirass. He tossed his old crap into a ditch and fed his chrysalis. Overfed, really - in no time at all, it burst free, flapping wet and soggy wings for the fir- but, no, he kept feeding it. Registering insectile confusion and surprise for the briefest of instants, it dutifully cocooned itself right back up, having grown massively in size in only moments. Mason motioned to keep feeding it, but try as he may the thing stubbornly refused to metamorphose. Lazy bug! He gazed wistfully at Jaune’s corpse, then back at the (now much heavier) metalarvae. Some day!

Noggins sat alone for a moment with the body before the Horde came in to gut her entirely, and they let her out of something like respect. She was conflicted, turmoil budding in her breast like a flower opening, but there was nothing she could do now. Instead, she took Jaune’s tools, nodded, and walked away.

(Everyone who looted something got whatever they wanted, no real competition there. Mason’s fat butterfly will metamorphose at the next available moment, but cannot eat Jaune’s body right now. It will retain the Glory you fed it and keep maturing, but you’ll have to take the action to actually feed it later. You can absolutely stuff her corpse into a bag and feed it later, though! Jaune’s hat is an artifact, like the ones from the vault, but its use is not apparent save for its obvious head protection. Jaune’s tools, on the other hand are merely pretty decent regular tools. All her skill with them was from her alone.)

---
The animals of Oxnyard were, to put it lightly, very frightened. Between the fire, the barn storm, and the smell of death and blood, it took the Horde a fair while to calm them. Some of them couldn’t be tamed, and needed to be run off or put down, which was rather a shame - hardly their fault that the damned red skins had raised them to be ornery. But for the others, a steady hand and familiar food was enough to convince them that there’d merely been a change of ownership. They had, after all, been raised and trained as war beasts, ready to follow orders even unto death, if need be. Also some of them were sO cUTe!

(I think everyone who wanted a beast got one? No one was fighting over any, so you pretty much got what you wanted. The others will follow along with the Horde (pulling wagons and whatnot) and be available through purchase from Magda later on! Because she is mean! Also the ones who were jerks are now delicious Rations! Delicious Rations for all! Eat your horse meat, man! 4 extra Rations, to be precise.)

---
Cooking was a listless, formal affair. The love had gone out of it for Patsy, the Horde’s thankless cook, and so Cause the Archaeologist had to fill in the gap. He did quite a good enough job, and with Patsy’s guidance they made enough to serve the Horde. They mumbled thanks and ate their fill, then threw the crusts on the floor. Cause sighed and shook his head, and Patsy shrugged with a rueful grin.

(Cause cooked, and Patsy helped! You made food! Also you didn’t say what you were DOING with your Ration, so let me know and I’ll pop it in here.)

---
Grimper was kicking his way through the wreckage of Oxnyard looking for booze when he overheard people mumbling about Cornichon the East Wind. He snorted in derision, then sent them off to ask Magda about him, because ‘he didn’t have time to tell stories, and YOU don’t have time to listen to them.’ Still, with Noostra on the horizon both literally and figuratively, the Horde was hankering for something to distract them. They found Magda where she normally was, doling out an apparently inexhaustible supply of gear even as she took in the new takings from the field. She inspected each piece of armor and weaponry with a critical eye and discarded most of them, keeping only the least damaged gear for the Horde’s use. When soldiers attempted to just, like, sneak one of the not-so-good armors, she’d shoo them off by whipping heavy slabs of metal or wood their way. “Leave it! It’s the detritus of our foes, and if you need an upgrade later you can pay for it like the rest of your brothers and sisters. Never settle for garbage - and I have a good eye for what’s garbage!” A round of chuckles broke out from the others nearby, and she cracked the beginning of a smile herself. She’d mellowed out a bit, even as Grimper had hardened, and she was easy to talk to, once you got used to the grit.

Even so, the mention of Cornichon made her eyes narrow, and she spat a sizzling gob onto the bloody earth. “gently caress that guy. He killed my friends - my family - in the Asskicker Horde. I’ve told a couple of you about this in the past, how I got caught down here (besides being fat and slow); we tried to raid some Fröman troops and had the misfortune to find this big bastard. Cornichon the Blowhard is what they ought to call him - his Specialty is Breathing, if you can believe that. Big, tall, fat guy, big as Grimper, maybe. You’ll hear him before you see him, because he is loud. You’ve heard me bellow at you morons, but he actually killed Skösh with a shout. He’s on another level… his troops are just about the strangest crew you’ll see this side of… well, this side of you guys. They ride kites, soaring on the winds he summons with his breath. I know that sounds real dumb, and trust me, it looks real dumb, but those bastards know what they’re doing. The throw darts and bombs from up there and just made us look like chumps. Pack ranged stuff if you want to tackle them - we had clubs and shields and heavy armor, and they just… picked us apart. gently caress. I still remember that fatass’ dumb voice laughing at us. If we ever find the guy, I want a piece of him. And, no, I don’t mean his skull or a femur, you little cannibals, I mean I want to look into his eyes while he bleeds out.” Her vicious smile deflated, then, and she looked older than ever. She waved them off to continue working, and they let her be.
---

Before bed, the Horde indulged in its favorite passtime - making crap out of other crap, whether or not those individual craps wished to be one singular crap and whether it made any sense to try! While Verika the Perceiver made rounds of the camp, watching for ambushes, the Siege Team Six tweaked the Onager. It had worked pretty well - that is to say, it hadn’t exploded on use - but it would have been far more satisfying had it actually broke down a gate or something. Starn tweaked, and piece by piece fed his Breakerfly bits of Agenou’s Skull. It had formed a chrysalis after the battle, and soon enough it would hatch into something even cooler (he hoped!) Grumbus the Gross stuffed his already straining bag with even worse stuff, and partioned some out into some barrels for use as ammunition. He marked them with CAUTION: SLUDGE AMMO, but there was zero way anyone would be coming near them anyhow. Luckily, his Plodder seemed to be inured to the smell, or was otherwise too foolish to realize it was terrible. He was a good match for Grumbus, to be sure.

Portha the Rummager had an idea for a crossbow. Not just a regular crossbow, which was little more than a sideways bow and wasn’t all that complicated besides, but an awesome crossbow, reusing busted and useless parts of other equipment to make something better. With Pythag’s help, she just about managed it, coming up with a prototype that was fairly workable. It needed field testing before she could actually roll it out, and a lack of Wagnag horns would limit her ability to mass produce it, but the basic framework could probably be rolled out to be used by others after Noostra. Yikes, after Noostra. Getting cocky there, Portha!

Snödis heard about the Wendi-horse from Hob and frowned. That wasn’t supposed to happen. Not yet, at any rate. She sighed at her poor, malformed subordinate and went off to seek the rest of the thing. She found it crawling away, neighing piteously and leaking blood that caused the grass behind it to writhe and lash at the air. It saw her and struck at her, but she cooed and coddled it and told it she would help. After braining it several times with the butt end of the Standard, she dragged the corpse back and, with Trinh’s freakish expertise, fashioned a Fröjan Horse to sneak past the wall. It was foolproof!

---
The Captains met and argued aloud for nearly an hour before an uneasy plan was made. The Inflitrators would attempt to pierce the city’s walls surreptitiously in order to gain a target for the Siegers, while the Neötypes would attempt psychological and terror based attacks once they’d positioned themselves as well. The Knights would… Noggins was uncharacteristically silent, here, but the Knights would form the vanguard of the Horde, as usual. Humbug the Sleuth garbed himself as the enemy and fled with them, beginning the infiltration early. He would let them know what they would be expecting once they arrived.

(Humbug is away and off-camera for the moment, but he’s doing stuff! Scribblykins, give me three rolls, please and thank you!)

---
The Warlord was in a foul mood. Noostra was right there, and these little cowards were mouthing off about “tactical reassessment”. Noggins the Carpenter had always had a sentimental streak, and her little… interaction with the Commander hadn't gone unnoticed, but as long as she was spattering blue jam out of redheads he'd let it slide. But now, with this? Had his own piss-poor showing back there finally pushed one of them over the edge into mutiny? “Captain Noggins, do you object to the way I've been running things? Do you not think I have a plan?” To his great surprise, there was a murmur of quickly-hidden assent among the rank and file. His mind spun out scenarios of treason and for a brief moment he debated simply executing the ringleaders… but he had a sick feeling that should push come to shove his victory wasn't guaranteed. He stood from his position around the campfire and began to pace. After a calculated moment, he turned to face them, face neutral and magnanimous. “Well. What do the rest of you think? Shall we abandon our duties to report to the Council and allow our enemy to reinforce their already advantageous position? Or shall we seek our Glory on the dawn?

(Grimper's asking you a simple question, certainly with no ulterior motives. This is decidedly NOT a Downtime, it's a single moment in time. Therefore, post your vote and optionally your reasoning, and nothing else. It's a bit of a tense situation, so be careful.)[/B]

[HORDE VOTE]
  • Go to Noostra
    Agree with Grimper and go ahead to the Southern Jewel, Noostra. Grimper expects this.
  • Rest Longer
    Stay here and take another Downtime in order to recuperate from your grievous wounds. Grimper will not like this.
  • Retreat
    Leave and go somewhere else. Where? Grimper will really not like this.
  • Head to Gateway Fortress Instead
    Try to claim the Gateway Fortress, your ultimate goal, instead of going to Noostra in the first place. Grimper will… not like this?
  • Something Else
    Another option I haven’t thought.
(...and what if he objects? Are you willing to take him on? Will the Horde turn on itself in the event of a disagreement?)

[HORDE VOTE]
  • Deadly Serious Disagreement
    You’re willing to put your life on the line to make your point.
  • Misgivings
    You strongly disagree, but if Grimper pushes back you’ll let it be.
  • Other
    You’re feeling a little bit wishy washy, and will cave at the slightest objection, or you don’t care, or you’ll allow the others to sway you. Whatever.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 6, 2018

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
pardon the delay! Also I just realized I forgot the Ritual scene, so expect that as well as item cards in the next little while

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

HP:3/3
Glory:39
Bluffing +20
Charm +25
Camouflage +10
Ritual Glory:0
Infiltrator Captain

His tone conciliatory, Captain Splut commented,

"Our medical staff have been working miracles patching up whomsoever they are able. Had you asked me prior to them doing so, I would have been less certain, but as it stands, the direct strike is practical with our current resources. As such, I will obey without hesitation, and order my squad accordingly. There is one thing, Warlord, that might be worth taking into consideration: What do our enemy expect us to do and how do we best confound that expectation? I suspect the direct strike is what they would believe is your next move. Do you want to shove that expectation right back in their think-they-re-so-clever ruddy faces, or do you want to do what they predict of you, but do it so hard the prediction is irrelevant? Either way, I for one will be with you to the hilt."

Go to Noostra. Splut has his reasons, but he is an absolute, 100% Loyalist.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 5, 2018

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
/// Cosmetic Items: ///
Name: Gabber
Skill: Mimicry, Listening(+30), Night Vision
Glory: 11

Sometime before Grimper Grimper-ing

Having newly equipped himself with trusty steed and a blade befitting a knight, Gabber suddenly found himself overloaded with things. Never had he ever had so many wonderful things in his life! However, at some point soon his warhorse would likely collapse under the sheer weight of what was asked of it. Regretfully, Gabber had to let go of some things!

Digging through his pouch, he came upon the bottle of Mushbrëw he'd been saving for a special occasion.

Part of him wanted to simply uncork and chug the thing - he really did enjoy the taste of these wonderful herbal remedies - but seeing some of his fellow Horde members still injured from the last battle, he decided to share the healing.

:siren: OOC: Gabber is overloaded and needs to ditch something. First come first serve on the Mushbrëw, however Gabber will only give it to someone who is actually injured. :siren:

Next up was his old, trusty sword. It had served him well all throughout his time with the Horde, but the merits of a sturdy shield had been proven many times over. Dual wielding was for those with little self-preservation, so out the sword went.

:siren:OOC: Next out is the sword. With all these +3 weapons out there I don't know why anyone would want it, but if you do speak up. Otherwise he'll donate it back to Magda for brownie points.:siren:

The Grimpering

Dog Kisser posted:

“Well. What do the rest of you think? Shall we abandon our duties to report to the Council and allow our enemy to reinforce their already advantageous position? Or shall we seek our Glory on the dawn?"

Gabber had recently had some severe misgivings about the way Grimper was running things. Sure, he'd always be grateful for the Nails he'd given them and how far he'd raised them, intentional or not. However, once where the Mimic had seen someone with their best interest always in mind, he'd more and more begun to see signs to the contrary. Throwing lives into the OG vault in a mad quest for power; erasing the memories of enemy combatants wholesale by way of the Nail; getting his rear end kicked by Agenou; not really giving any credence to Humbug's findings on the case of their demented Doc (RIP); and finally dressing down Captain Noggins, the most noble and heroic of them all.

Gabber had initially voted to go straight for Noostra in the hopes somehow they could get word of the Warlord's grievous injuries and poor choices back to command, to ensure the Regency Council knew just exactly what was going on out here. Nevermind it being a drat near impossible task to get a message off without Grimper knowing - they'd find a way, hopefully - but they were really out here without any sort of life preserver other than Grimper. Magda was past her prime, and the Horde was no longer slouches themselves, but if they went up against another Commander without Grimper? It'd likely spell complete failure. No, what they needed to do was get a message back, in any way they could. To find out if there was any hope of the Regency Council intervening. And if Grimper got word of any sort of mutiny, what was to stop him from just yanking his Nail and killing them all?

No....as much as he had his misgivings about Grimper, there was no way now was the right time to go against him. Better to get word back home and let the superiors deal with it.

Calling upon his years of silence to hide his feelings, when prompted Gabber gave a thumbs up and pointed in the general direction of Noostra. Given that Gabber was in agreement for going to Noostra with all haste, he therefore was not willing to fight Grimper on it should things come to a head now. In fact, so sure was he that this was not the right time to push the matter, should things become escalated he will try to hold back anyone attempting to actually fight Grimper, (with an opposed roll if necessary to try and de-escalate).

quote:

TL;DR

Go to Noostra
Will not fight against Grimper if it comes to it
Will actively oppose anyone actually attacking Grimper by trying to hold them back via opposed rolls

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 5, 2018

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Name: Dack
Skills: A̵̕t̷͢͡͏̡h̷͟͡͏ļ̵̶̧̀ę̷̢͡t̨̧͘i̵̕҉̴͡c̢͘͜͠s͏̨́̕, Ą̀͠c̵̢͡͠͏r̴̸̛͝͡o͘͢͜͡b͜à̵̡̕t̷̢̀͜i̸̸͞c͘͟s̀͜͟, Laughing +25
Unused Skillcores: E̸n͜҉̛͡ģ̛̕i̡̕͟͡͠n̢͘͢e̶͝e̵̵̡͢ŗ̕͏í̶̧͞͡n҉̴̢́̕g̷̛͢
HP: 1
Glory: 20>21

Suddenly the air became so tense, even Boarealis had to hide under Dack's shield. The very fact that Grimper seemingly backed down and offered a vote made it obvious how serious this moment was, even for someone like Dack. And since there wasn't enough time to discuss with Captain Snödis about what the squad should do, the Wendigo would have to decide for himself. Sure, Noostra was dangerous, and Grimper didn't even try to hide that heavy losses were expected, but what was the alternative? Resting would make it more dangerous (at least according to the Warlord), and just retreating didn't seem like something Grimper would agree to. Wait, there's a far more important question hidden behind the vote, isn't there? If push came to shove, would Dack turn on Grimper, or would he fight off a mutiny? The answer to that question was easy, at least. Dack was a Branded Wendigo, and had no idea what would happen to that Brand if the Warlord were to die. Even if he were to stay in control past Grimper's death, what would happen next? Would he be put into a tube, like those other Wendigoes in Nägel? After all, killing Grimper would lead to defecting to the Frömans, right? And even Jaune, who seemed like a good person at heart, looked at Dack as if he was irredeemable, and deserved nothing but death. No, there was only one option for him to take.

Moving to the front of the crowd, Dack stood to his full height and pointed a clawed hand towards Noostra. If Grimper could be swayed without a mutiny breaking out, then fine. Otherwise, Dack would stand with the Warlord.

Voting for Noostra, Deadly Serious Disagreement. This is a selfish vote, as I don't think Dack would have any place in the Horde if Grimper were to die, even if the Branding still worked. So, uh, keep that in mind, in case anyone wanted to deadly serious disagree with Grimper.

Astus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 7, 2018

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Extra Skillcores: Fashion +25, Secretly Murdering Innocents
HP: 3/3 (2 wire)
Glory: 19->20
Ignomity: -6
Ritual Glory: ->5->0
Slinker Standard: 22

--

Snödis had her misgivings as to the readiness of the Horde, but when she saw the fine work the healers were doing, those misgivings started to fade away... Still, a little more planning wouldn't hurt.
Oh, if push came to shove, she would stand with Grimpner til the end. Not so much out of any sense of loyalty, rather that she needed him if her own plans should ever have a chance of coming to fruition.
The fact of the matter was that no other Warlord in all of Tö or Frö would give her so much as a sharp stick with which to fend of the enemy, and indeed would be more likely to use her and her kin as disposable meat-shields.
So when the vote came, she urged the Warlord to allow them to rest, but not with any real conviction. She would let the issue go should the mood of the horde be made clear in opposition.

--

Swinging around Magdas to pick up her new boots, Snödis deposited her 5 ritual glory chits in the jar earmarked for the upgraded Monsterist Ritual.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 6, 2018

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pythag
HP: (3) of (3)
Skills:
* +10 Math (cooldown)
* +10 Headshotting (available)
* +15 Fearlessness (available)
* +10 Honor (uninstalled)
Equipment:
* Armor (+5)
* Iron Shield
* Bowharp
* Arrow Flatpack
* Feral Warboar
Cosmetics
* Nail and Fist Token
Glory: 12>13
Ritual Glory: 1

Pythag moved to Noggins' side, standing shoulder to shoulder with the Commander of the Nail and Fist. "My Captain has my proxy." It went without saying, that his intensity would likewise mirror the Crafty Knight-Captain's.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

(d6+3)

Gado!!!
Skill: Digging (+35), Climbing (+10), Mining (+10)
Glory: 1->2
Mutation Countdown: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] (destination vote doesn't count me down via Word of Dog)

Things were looking up for Gado! Sure he was still on an express train to becoming a horrible monster and sure he was now functionally addicted to a risky medicine that unbeknownst to him would soon be unavaliable, but he had a small stockpile now and couldn't be happier.

The loss of the lucky pearl stung a tiny bit, but he'd needed the supplies for more AntiMon and Trinh had been more than happy to help him out once again in Wendigo Infection related tasks. The horde continued to provide for and support him when he needed it.

Looting had gone particularly well even! The collection of a wayward mining core had been a boon, especially after Humbug displayed some amazing timing and gifted the Bone Tö Pick back to Gado's possession. With his trusty weapon back in hand, Gado felt a smidge Invincible, so it wasn't much surprise that he felt fine to Push On To Noostra, things would only get worse there if they were allowed to dig their heels in, and Humbug would be all alone in enemy territory, potentially captive or worse if the Horde didn't show up to capitalize on his setup!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Noggins
Skillcores: Carpentry +30, Precision, Aiming, Leadership (Unconsumed)
Glory: 44->45
Ritual Glory: 4

"Sir, I get why you want to push on. I get it. But you see this?" she gestured to the assembled Horde. "This is what you've got to work with. For the rest of this war, probably. We're pushing deep into Frö here. We're not going to find more border-town discontents. We're not going to have the time to bust another prison and hope we find people willing to follow orders. Unless you want to be assaulting the Gateway Fortress with an army of Nailbound Frömen, you'd better be drat certain that you've thought through how many lives it's going to cost us. Because as it stands, we aren't replaceable. Back in Tö, or with the main forces, maybe we would be. But not here. Not now."

Noggins paused, taking a breath and nodding appreciatively as Pythag stood next to her, backing her up. Her heart was going a mile a minute, but she couldn't stop now. Her newly-resonated core was a constant reminder of that. "Our medics have been working minor miracles, but we're still carrying wounds from Nägel. Attrition is a real concern. And we're not going to have the chance to stop after Noostra. They're going to be on us hard. Like it or not, this is our best chance to patch up for the next big push. A little preparation here is going to save Horde lives. Every life we save here is another soldier we've got with us at the Gateway. And we're going to need every last soldier we've got to pull that off."

"If you've got some secret plan to make everything go smoothly at Noostra, then fine. But we've stood with you at Nägel against wendigoes, at Fostis against Agenou, and now here in Öxnyard against Jaune. I think we've at least proven ourselves capable enough to be told what you have in mind."

She stood firmly, arms locked at her sides, hands curled in gauntleted fists as she stared up at Grimper. This could be it, she knew. It could all end here, if Grimper decided to kill her. But at least she'd made a choice.

Noggins is voting to Rest Longer, and she's speaking with conviction--she's willing to go against Grimper, but not against the Horde, if they collectively decide they want to go to Noostra. She's also not going to take the first swing here--avoiding further injuries to the Horde is the entire point here.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Name: Hat
Skills: Millinery (+15), Backflips (+20)
Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Scarf, Mushbrëwm, Wagnag Jerky[?], Carpentry skillcore
Glory: 34 -> 35

"Hoo boy, this looks like one of those discussions," thought Hat, while the Horde debated. She waited for a lull in the conversation before speaking her piece.

"Firstly, it seems that we're all in broad agreement that Noostra is next. That's my view too, especially since one of my squadmates is already inside the city. To leave now would surely doom them.

"So the question becomes now, or later? I say later. You say they're reinforcing their position? With what, the dregs who saw us in battle here and fled? The time won't make them any stronger than they already are, but the time will strengthen us. The medics have done wonderful work the past couple of hours - for which, it must be said, the entire Horde thanks you - and a healthier Horde is one that will go further, push harder, another set of hands that will eventually Break Down The Gate that is our destiny. Why, if we have any spare Töanpower, we could even fashion you, Grimper, a replacement arm. Then you'll be able to bring the full strength of your wrath down upon the Noostrans. For once...

"But we won't just benefit with healthier troops. The delay allows the rest of us Infiltrators a chance to sneak into the city. We can get in, see what the enemy forces are like, and have eyes on the complete route from Gate to Thumbscrew. Give you - give the entire Horde the intel they need to strike where the enemy are softest.

"To recap; healthier troops, a stronger warlord, and better information on the enemy. In exchange, the enemy stews in their own juices a bit. Seems obvious to me. Delay."

Her piece said, Hat walked back into the crowd and took a seat. She was glad that her Misgivings had been given a chance to be heard. Let the Horde decide; she'll obey the decision it'll make.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Name: Bamboo
Glory: 36 + 1 (Story Glory) > 37
Skills:
Virtuoso (+10) [READY]
Interior Decorating (+20) [READY]

-[Oxnyard]-

Dog Kisser posted:

(Everyone who looted something got whatever they wanted, no real competition there.)

@DK: I’m going to assume that you let Bamboo loot the previously noted ‘Non-Descript Buckler’: Functions the same as a Tuned Shield, except it breaks against an even attack roll.

Will look for the updated item card next update; if you don’t have time for it, then I’ll just use the Tuned Shield card and item.

Brumble posted:

"Hey, Bamboo, catch!"
Tossing his own bottle to her, he slowly rode past.
"I don't really like the taste, and I'm running out of space anyways."

Bamboo caught the bottle and waved her thanks; fortunately, she was able to have her wounds looked at and patched up after all. Still, it never hurt to have another bottle of this Mushbrewm stuff.

“Thanks Brumble, umm, nice pig you got there. Owe you one, let me know if you need help with anything.”

Bamboo was beginning to owe a lot of favors to a lot of people.

Dog Kisser posted:

[HORDE VOTE]

Go to Noostra

Dog Kisser posted:

[HORDE VOTE]

Misgivings

“We’re on deadly ground, its either forward, or back; we stay here in the open, we’re going to get ground up and spit out by the next enemy Horde which swings by, probably sent to hunt us down.”

“Let’s go to Noostra and be done with it; at least I can try to do what I’m good at, as opposed to just being thrown in as another front line Töan.”

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Name: Ringo!
HP: 4/4
Glory: 25>26
Skill: Accuracy (cooldown), Ventriloquism, Whistling+15
Hotswap Skillcores: Pigilante Justice, Kissing, Cross Stitching, Bee Keeping, Lifting +15, Lockpicking, Firestarting, Weaving +15, Avoiding Notice
Other: Rolls 10d100, may optionally reroll lowest

Ringo felt numb. He had dove straight for Jaune, and for a moment, he felt like things were going to go off without a hitch. Then Darkness, and pain. When he busted out of that stone coffin, they had won, and Grimper was gloating over the corpse of the Froan commander while his compatriots were picking the surroundings clean.

What was the point of it all? Things didn't seem so important to him anymore. Weapons? Armor? He was tougher and more dangerous than what they'd find out there. They all needed protection more than he did. They were soft, in need of protection. Sucy was making noises about wishing she had some boots to properly stomp faces in, but they just weren't turning up. Ringo cast a quick glance over the fallen bodies of Froan knights and strewn-about armor, and grit his teeth as the text scrolled across his view. [GREAVES, MATCHING SET] [HOBNAIL BOOTS, MATCHING SET] [STEEL TOE SHOES, SCUFFED]. He picked up a likely pair, and passed them off to Sucy. "Don't mention it." he said as he passed by.

~~~Later~~~

Ringo stared at the Horde's casualties. There was no avoiding it. People were hurt in battle. People died. Even if he could be everywhere at once, he couldn't change that fact. But he was here now, and he was ready to help. Gryph was working his craft up and down the line. Ringo observed him for a while, noting his observations and movements. Ringo wasn't a doctor, but he tried to remember everything Gryph did and said, and then he followed along. It was a hell of a crash course, and for a while Ringo forgot the numbness that was suffusing his head.

Help with medical stuff! (Accuracy): 10d100+10+25 322 [10d100=24, 83, 68, 9, 18, 53, 2, 5, 8, 17]

Reroll 2
Reroll For healing (2): 1d100 86

Total: 406

~~~Later~~~

Ringo sat on a spar from a collapsed building, nursing a Mushbrewm.

Drink a Brewm: 1d4 4

He realized what was bothering him, and it scared him. As soon as they'd set out for Oxnyard, he was like a To Possessed. He'd moved with single-minded purpose, tagging along with Snorkus in some display of Pigilante Justice. And now after the battle was over, it all seemed like a dream. And he was feeling dissociated even from events prior to the vault. His movements were fluid, and his mind was clear, but it was...rigid, somehow. Designed. Compartmentalized. He was a tool of the OGs now, and he had asked for this, even if he hadn't known what he was asking at the time.

He hurled the empty bottle at a water barrel across the street. It landed with a perfect splash.

~~~Later~~~

Grimper was pissed. Noggins was Pissed. And both were probably right. Waiting would hurt the horde, and charging would hurt the horde. He coughed, and spoke up.

"I don't have a speech. I'm not a speech kind of man. I'm ready to go to Noostra, but the rest of you may not be. I'm not going to let this Horde break apart, though. If we split, or start fighting each other, we've already lost. That's it."

OOC: Ringo is Neutral, but he will act to keep the Horde together and Safe. Wrapped my prior actions up here as well.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Cosmetic:

Name: Hob

HP 2/2

Glory: 5≥6

Ritual Glory : 1

Chrysalis Glory : 5/5 there's sounds coming from inside, it's going to hatch soon!
Pre-paid Jeuvenile Glory: 5/10

Skill: Singing, Contortion+15 (cooling), Butterfly Riding+20

Hob drones past, bypassing those moving to block and hold back the horde by sailing lazily, unthreateningly overhead on his new tanwing Gawp.

"We are your horde, Grimper's Unexpectables, sir. We will follow you to the thumbscrew, to the gateway fortress, into an Oh Gee Hellmouth. Wherever you lead us. I will follow you to Noostra

Holding an awkward, left handed salute (right arm in a sling, it was going to be fine but too much movement now was unwise) Hob looked uncomfortable, the next thing he said might get him swatted from the air so he chose his words carefully. He leaned back into his harness and steered Gawp carefully. Noggins wouldn't thank him either, trying to spin her actions.

"But Noggins, and everyone else, are just doing what you asked. Trying to achieve victories. Your victories. By making sure there are enough people once we get there. So we can be your horde. So we can be your Unexpectables. We are all trying to do that, in our own way. To be the best Unexpectable we can be."

Hob wants to diffuse the situation, and is trying to make Grimper see Noggins etc. as an ally, an asset. He wants to wait, but is voting for Noostra to try and appeal to Grimper and de-escalate this situation. He will go along with whatever, everything's good here, unless Noggins is in danger, when he will change to Deadly Serious Disagreement.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 9, 2018

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Cosmetic Items:
Name: Neebs
Skill(s): Sales (+15) (on cooldown)
Drinking (+20)
Surgery (+15)
HP: 2/3
Glory: 7 + 1 posting glory => 8

Neebs drunkenly yellled "Yeah! Let's go to Noostra and get this schtuff over wifth. Then we can party."

"Anyone who doesn't wanna fight ish...is gonna have to fight me. Sh'right. You heard what I shaid."

"Thish guy right here...", Neebs said as she pointed to Grimper, "He shaved me from a Wendigo skillcore back in Noostra...errr....Nagel. Shaddap. He'sh allright. We should do what he shays." Drunkly Deadly Serious Disagreement

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

"The thought occurs, Warlord, it is the prerogative of Captains to give the warlord options, to open up fresh opportunities on the path to victory. Noggins is faithful to that tenet, faithful to you and to the Horde in what she is saying. It is, however, always the prerogative of the Warlord to make the final decision for all the Horde."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Sucy
Glory: 26 -> 27 -> 29 (+2 from Verika)
Skills: Mushrooms +15
Kicking +45
Fishing +10

quote:

He picked up a likely pair, and passed them off to Sucy. "Don't mention it." he said as he passed by.
Sucy looked up as a pair of hobnailed boots was flung into her lap: You give the best gifts Ringo, she replied with an eager grin.
On a hunch she yelled out to him again: Hey Ringo, you were enhanced by the OGs, let me try something out real quick!, slipped on her ring and sent a short message to Ringo saying Test Test, see if you can reply to this!

When Grimper gathered them later on and Noggins made her misgivings about the direct push for Noostra known, Sucy agreed with her that the horde should rest a bit longer, in order to heal up the mooks, which might take substantial losses otherwise, which could jeopardize their larger mission of taking the Gateway Fortress. While she wouldn't resort to violence if he disagreed, she did make it clear that she'd have substantial misgivings if he decided to gamble this carelessly with their lives.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 7, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

HP:3

Glory:3

Skills:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, Wrestling

Skronk felt satisfied. He could finally discard that hammer in favor of a warrior's weapon. As for the indecision among the ranks, he cared not for the squabbling of his superiors-he'd already made up his mind. "I go where-ever the Unexpectables go! For surely glory follows!" he bellowed proudly. Go to Noostra

OOC:Skronk doesn't really care about this whole dispute-he just wants to go to the next battlefield so he may earn glory in battle or failing that a glorious death.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
<---- (Makeshift Sacrifire)
Squad: Infiltration
Skill: Sleuthing +20 (using), Watching +20 (using), Submission Holds (using).

Having had no takers, Humbug tossed the Tuned Shield at Ringo's feet with a melodic clang, just as he rode past.

"Heard you lost yours, Ringo. I won't need it and this horse is weighed down enough. Do try to survive - whatever the hell you've become, you've just learned you're not invincible. Great lesson to learn non-fatally! Though I doubt it'll stop you from being your usual self, so take the drat shield. Trying to fight a Commander toe-to-toe even with Oh Gee blessings... hah. The Unexpectables, ladies and gents," he said, chuckling.

"Hum... I'd invite you along for your usual crazy derring-dos, but it's not like this is gonna be like Old Tö-Town where no-one'd give a poo poo if you're a green fire-farting giant as long as the rent's on time and you're not making too much of a nuisance of yourself. Not that I don't think you couldn't do it - hum. You might be good at it, actually. Shouldn't be so - but it probably is, given Oh Gee shenanigans. Hmph. Well, enough prattling from me. I'll see you all in Noostra."

---------------------

Humbug's back hurt from a long trek on horseback, but he'd finally arrived. Noostra lay before him. The Unexpectables not too too far behind. His nails still reminded him of Grimper's location and he expected it to become stronger over time as the Horde trekked closer, giving him a timer of sorts to his mission. Unless they waited in some reason, in which case... well, he'd have more time to futz around in Noostra. Or if they, for some reason, decided to do something entirely different. The latter meant he might have to take action on his own. It would be a long shot, but worst case, he might be able to get into the Thumbscrew and send off that report Grimper kept saying he wanted to give about the Inhabited.

As for the city, he didn't know quite what to expect - not from a Frömen town of fat cats. That said, he was used to the big city, having grown up and lived in Tö's Capitol for the majority of his life, and certainly there would be overlaps of behaviour. From what he could see of its walls and gates, there were plenty of guards present, but also, on the roads below, plenty of fleeing military and civilians to mix in with, unknown faces to emulate and be dragged along with into the city itself. It was all so far so good. His fake uniform and credentials would lend themselves to his free movement for the time being - and if need be he could ditch the uniform and dress up like his regular old self.

Once he entered and had something of a run of the city, he'd use his sleuthing prowess and observational skills to go where he could, investigating leads, looking at guard patrols and resources, and take out anyone who got too curious or close, preferably in a discreet way. It wouldn't do to end up on the bad side of the local Watch equivalent - or in a jail cell, awaiting interrogation.

If that worst came to worst he'd have a decision to make, and not one he looked foward to.

Infiltration the first (sleuthing): 1d100+20+2+10(order) 68
Infiltration the second (watching): 1d100+20+2+10(order) 80
Infiltration the third (submission holds): 1d100+10+2+10(order) 74

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Potrait:

Naim: Mason
Skillz: Mason Hootin' an' Hollerin' +15 Mason MasonryMasonFlailing +25
HeeP: Mason Mason Mason
Glury: Masonx0 -> 1

Mason, miffed that his pet won't eat the body right now, claims Jaune's corpse as "freash roadkeel fer latir". Instead of stuffing it into a bag, he just decides to strap the body over his armor, just like the good ol' days of hunting roadkill back in Masunvill County with the rest of the Mason clan.

With the smelly carcass on his back, reeking of booze he pilfered from Neebs, Mason largely assented in continuing straight on to Noostra. "Lookit hear... weer s'pused tuh bee ded allrady. B'cuz weer De Unexp...Unex...wutever dat fancee werd es fur owr naim!. Wee wern't s'pused tuh maik et dis farr, bet wee deed anywai!. Eff Nostril es too bee owr graive, sew bee et. Bet eye betcha et woent!

New I wes jest e simpul cowntree boi back in Masunvill befir eye hupped ento dis for booz, ladees end boom boom stecks. New Lookit me - pert ef Seege Tame Sex, Killur of PeePeeDooDoo end Janey hur!", Mason pointing to Jaune's corpse strapped to his back. "Dis wes awl due to Ol' Grimple heer. New eff Grimple sez to git too Nostril, wee git too Nostril fester than a Mason famulee weddin' at a Masun famulee reyoonyun - by walkin er draggin ef needz bee." Mason obviously means his threats and is willing to enter Deadly Serious Disagreement to do so.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 7, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Name: Jö, the Nailed Fostis Butcher
Skills: Butchery (Using), Impatience +15, Clouting (CD)
Roll Modifiers: -9 all rolls
Must obey all orders: Immune to orders from Hob
Items:
-Drum
-Froman Sword +1
-Belmysut Guard Uniform +1
-Coffin, Comfy AF
-Baby Boarlet

Jö wasn't the fighting type, so when the horde got arguing where to go he didn't say anything. He just thought about Fostis, his home.

He would do what ever Grimper wants, he literally had to trusted the big guy

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Name: Verika
Skills: Perception +30, Sniping +15, Smithing +55
Equipment: Fröman Cuirass (+1), Iron Shield, Arrow Flatpack, Ornate Bowharp (+2), Ruddy Charger, Blixthäst (+5)
Cosmetics: Nail and Fist Token, Agenou's Cape Sash, Sikatris Scarf, Basker Cloak, Slightly-Cracked Telescope, Jaune's Broken Nails
Glory: 11 -> 12
Ritual Chits: 0 (artwork bonus)

Öxnyard (Part 8): At one tentatively calm moment, Verika was sitting at her guard post with a mug of ale in one hand and a handful of Smithing skillcores in the other. In the very next moment, she was belching pink flames, smoke venting from her eyes, mouth, and ears. She was chugging down her beer in a futile attempt to douse the unquenchable flames that burned from somewhere deep within. She had swallowed all five Smithing skillcores in one go, and as she absorbed the kernels of pure talent into her system they Resonated into kind of crystallized memory and ingrained skill that suffused Verika's body. It was a strangely discomfiting sensation, as though her very soul had filled itself up on really hot and spicy food until it was fit to bursting and then her soul caught fire from all the spiciness. It was like being turned into kindling and the flames making you glow brighter and harder and cleaner and longer, allowing you to be struck and straightened and sharpened into a hardened weapon, to be wielded in the hands of a master. It was like glimpsing the meaning of it all in the ever-burning face of Gob (may he rue the day he was trapped in the heavens)!

Once the delirious pain and swirling discomfort subsided, Verika realized with a sudden gravity that she had been filled with the knowledge and skill repository of the enemy's best armorers. She wasn't just just the second-best smith in the army (Magda was first, of course), she was the second-best smith in whole Gob-smacking region! The alarming enormity of it all was staggering to her, but Verika was able to maintain her calm.

She was a Knight of the Nail and Fist after all, through and through. She had to do her best by the horde, and that meant following the commands of her superiors. That's why Verika found herself particularly torn: conflicted between obeying the orders of the great General Grimper and following the wishes of the trusted Captain Noggins.

Health or expediency, that was the question!

Verika wanted to go to Noostra - knew that they were bound there - but she also wanted to pacify both her Captain and her General at the same time. Noggins only wanted to hold back the horde for a little time!

"General Grimper sir, what if I forged you a new hand, sir?"

"If we Stay A Bit Longer, sir, I could make you a fist, a blade, a mace, or a cannon to replace your missing hand. We could set off as soon as it's ready. You'd storm Noostra in style, my warlord!"

Verika is not staking her life on her newfound Smithing abilities, but she is offering up her new talent for metalworking as an extra incentive for a brief rest.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Name: Waesh
Skills: Piracy +20, Grappling
Glory: 2 -> 3

As discussions for the plan started getting out of hand and Grimper stopped and decided to ask (ask? Grimper?) the horde as to how they felt, Waesh took a moment to stop and stroke his fine mustache. He observed loyal Dack, with no place he could ever fit in but here. The countenance of silent Gabber, with a simple gesture towards Noostra. Brave Noggins, standing up for herself and trying to get things to slow down. The calm voice of Splut, looking for another unexepectable plan. However, it is the voice of Ringo the Supertoan that resonates strongly with him. When it came to Waesh's turn to vote, he does his best to let his loyalty and conviction shine through his words.

"Grimper be the authority here, and I'll follow his orders for Noostra, should he give them. We are, however, only The Unexpectables as long as we stick together. Fair discussion and Democracy is the backbone of any good crew. We all need to fight together for something we believe in. If the majority of the Horde wishes to stay, it only be right to listen to them. A leader who respects his crew is respected in turn, and together we are stronger than any other band of scallywags out there."

If it came to blows, Waesh would break up fights and prioritize the horde staying together.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 6, 2018