Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nine-gear crow posted:

The same could be said of Summer Glau, yet Arrow survived her...

Barely.

Alan has had a lot of bad luck with TV, that's for sure. But I'll forgive a lot just due to "Tucker & Dale vs. Evil". I'll give him a few more chances to kill off shows just to see if he catches on.

RIP Dirk Gentley tho :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

The Outsider Cave is an old Helix base, right? Isn't Cayden James the former Helix leader? Is using his computers a Good Idea?

IIRC he didn't really have anything to do with that base. He was already captured when they set it up and they bounced pretty quick once he was rescued. He knows it exists but probably doesn't think about it.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

bbf2 posted:

Felicity.....DEFUSED melodrama and pointless character conflict instead of contributing to it? What world am I living in?

I've never really hated Felicity, but yeah, I actually kinda really liked that montage thing. I still maintain that bringing William on is the worst thing this show's done and kinda giving me vibes that this season will be the last because of it. Also it's kinda worrying that he's watching his father straight up murder people and he's cheering him on.

This season still isn't as good as last season's, which is difficult, but I feel like it still has no clue where it's going. Cayden James being super overpowered just isn't fun. Season 2 and 5 worked well because they were mostly personal stories. Ollie vs. Slade and Ollie vs. Chase. Putting the whole city in jeopardy, yet again, and on like episode 11 no less just isn't fun.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TwoPair posted:

I've come to accept it as the Gotham City/Marvel NYC rule where either the populace is really stupid or maybe life is just super great on non-attack days.
I assume that property prices and rent are super low. If you can't afford to live anywhere else, you can afford to live in Gotham. The rich, I assume, stick around for the thrill or the admiration of their peers. Or because they're super heroes/villains.

muscles like this! posted:

I think it's kind of odd Oliver didn't just tell Cayden James that he wasn't in town before he found the evidence. Yeah he probably wouldn't believe it at first but he should at least have planted the seed.
That was my thought. When Cayden said that Ollie should have just gone "Wait, a year ago today? I wasn't even here! If you genuinely think that was me, well, you're wrong and you should check your facts. And if this is some sort of misdirect to make me think I killed an innocent child then you picked the wrong day, because I wasn't here that day."

I really liked that show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Wayne Enterprises is probably one of the best companies in the nation to work for and Gotham U is probably a top tier school. The insurance costs are probably crazy high, but as long as you keep out of downtown and the city center as well as any other stereotypically high crime areas, you'll probably be okay.

Also, all the bad poo poo in Gotham predominantly happens at night as noted in one of the previews for a new Bat family comic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing with the "get evidence I wasn't in town to show Cayden James" thing is the subtext seems to be "James is smart and informed enough that if he's doing all this insane and complicated poo poo for a vendetta its all clearly just an excuse." I'm assuming its a lie for whatever James' real motivations are and I kind of assume Team Arrow know that too. They just figured they had to give it a try since they didn't see another option.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
If someone is framing Oliver James may not be the end boss for the season which I would be fine with. He's not that interesting. But what's Vigilante's end game. Whats the point of infiltrating his group? You're Vigilante! Just put one in his dome and call it a day.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Did Cayden's crony who's been in the villain lineup just kinda die before we found out who he was?

I'm not down on this season yet, but these decisions they're making on the villains are really odd.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cran posted:

Did Cayden's crony who's been in the villain lineup just kinda die before we found out who he was?

I'm not down on this season yet, but these decisions they're making on the villains are really odd.

Yeah, Cayden’s Legion of Doom kinda lasted like one and a half episodes before it just fell apart. Vigilante’s gone rogue, the guy we’re supposed to remember but actually don’t is dead... maybe? Anatolay is... kind of still around in the background. So basically we’re just back to Cayden and Laurel, like we were at the start.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was dumb to do that Legion of Doom stinger. Clearly they were trying to juxtapose Team Arrow breaking up with Cayden having his own "team" but practically its not any kind of team and the whole thing would have made Cayden look scarier if he was just presented as a guy manipulating everyone the same way he tried to do the Huntress' cousin. Which really, is what they've been doing and what I think that guy was supposed to represent. But they went for that silly 5 second shot of them all hanging out together so they end up just coming off like a dysfunctional team of people we only half recognize.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

The thing with the "get evidence I wasn't in town to show Cayden James" thing is the subtext seems to be "James is smart and informed enough that if he's doing all this insane and complicated poo poo for a vendetta its all clearly just an excuse." I'm assuming its a lie for whatever James' real motivations are and I kind of assume Team Arrow know that too. They just figured they had to give it a try since they didn't see another option.

It could just be really really lovely writing and they are trying to setup a curveball leading to an exchange like this

Oliver: Cayden! CAYDEN! I didn't kill your son
Cayden: What, Mister Queen?
Oliver: You said I let loose an arrow that killed your son, I didn't do it. I have proof.
Cayden: You mean because you were in Hope City or whatever recruiting your new canary?
Oliver: What? You knew?! Then you knew I didn't kill your son!
Cayden: You killed him.
Oliver: It's impossible! How could I have possibly fired the arrow that killed him?
Cayden: Ever the simpleton Mister Queen. Your lack of understanding almost ruins this for me. I said

"One year ago this very day right here in Star City, you missed your intended target, but your arrow found its way into my boy."

I wasn't talking about a literal arrow flung from your bow that went into my son like some kind of (insert pretentious literary reference.) Your actions that day created a metaphorical arrow that was directly responsible for my sons death.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 30, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It could just be really really lovely writing and they are trying to setup a curveball leading to an exchange like this
Always a built in option.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Azhais posted:

Barely.

Alan has had a lot of bad luck with TV, that's for sure. But I'll forgive a lot just due to "Tucker & Dale vs. Evil". I'll give him a few more chances to kill off shows just to see if he catches on.

RIP Dirk Gentley tho :cry:

Huh? What are you on about season 2 was probably the highlight season of Arrow.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I like William, actually. He had some pouty mopey moments but so did Oliver. He's a chip off the ol' block.

Also if you found out your dad was the Green Arrow, tell me you wouldn't loving go "holy poo poo my dad's the GREEN ARROW!" You can't. You'd be a liar.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Chokes McGee posted:

I like William, actually. He had some pouty mopey moments but so did Oliver. He's a chip off the ol' block.

Also if you found out your dad was the Green Arrow, tell me you wouldn't loving go "holy poo poo my dad's the GREEN ARROW!" You can't. You'd be a liar.

I like william too. I hope Oliver gets to introduce him to Barry at some point soon.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Couldn't Vigilante have just, idk, snapped Cayden's neck one of these times they're alone together?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The bomb will probably go off if cayden dies

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha Argus just had a half dozen frogmen and that's it. I was totally expecting a badly CGI'd submarine. Things sure are different now that Waller is gone.

So Cayden James didn't kill Dinah because ???

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Me: Hello me from the past, this season of Arrow you will like Felicity and be absolutely annoyed to hatred over Dinah
Me a Year Ago: help help this man is insane

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So Team Outsider was mad that Team Ollie didn't tell them immediately that Vigilante was working for Cayden but were just like whatev about telling them that he was actually working as a double agent

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

So Team Outsider was mad that Team Ollie didn't tell them immediately that Vigilante was working for Cayden but were just like whatev about telling them that he was actually working as a double agent

Everyone on this show is a moron. Whaddup

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

Thea's coma seems to have smarted her up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Thea's coma seems to have smarted her up.

It'll allow it!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Which show we talking about?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Every time Rene says "hoss" I want to punch him in the face.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I don't know what the plan is for the Outsiders but they come off really whiny and obnoxious.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I don't know what the plan is for the Outsiders but they come off really whiny and obnoxious.

One assumes after trying to run a team by consensus they'll conclude with "god drat I have a new appreciation for Oliver now" like they did with Felicity. They've made some moves towards that, but given this season's hot and cold writing, who knows if there'll be a payoff.

e: Especially since it looks like Dinah's about to go rogue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Digital Jedi posted:

Every time Rene says "hoss" I want to punch him in the face.

I stopped liking him once he changed his uniform.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Last night's episode took this season from "kinda flighty but maybe good?" to "definitively bad".

There are too many leaps in logic for everyone involved to be so plainly incompetent, Cayden James is worse than Damien Dhark with none of the ham, and what a lame rear end way to resolve the two-season Vigilante plot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah the image of the ARGUS divers floating to the surface like dead fish.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Frankly the most unbelievable part of the episode isn't the superpowers or the pointless infighting between Team Arrow and the Outsiders, it's that super-hacker Cayden James would use something as easy to guess as his kid's birthday for his door passcode.

e: so are we taking bets on who the actual mastermind is? I mean, Laurel is almost too obvious of a guess. So I'm going with Helix girl or Cayden's actually-not-dead kid.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 3, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Frankly the most unbelievable part of the episode isn't the superpowers or the pointless infighting between Team Arrow and the Outsiders, it's that super-hacker Cayden James would use something as easy to guess as his kid's birthday for his door passcode.

e: so are we taking bets on who the actual mastermind is? I mean, Laurel is almost too obvious of a guess. So I'm going with Helix girl or Cayden's actually-not-dead kid.

It's Anatoli. He has the biggest axe to grind against Ollie and is fairly open about using any means to get that done.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Cran posted:

Last night's episode took this season from "kinda flighty but maybe good?" to "definitively bad".

There are too many leaps in logic for everyone involved to be so plainly incompetent, Cayden James is worse than Damien Dhark with none of the ham, and what a lame rear end way to resolve the two-season Vigilante plot.

I've stuck with this show through the ups and downs, but this season is bad enough that I'm finally thinking of jumping ship. The plot relies almost entirely on bad character choices, poor communication and contrived interpersonal drama. The indignation and hostility from the outsiders feels completely unearned and almost hypocritical. Cayden James is a genius criminal who can see through any deception but has somehow been tricked into wrongly targeting the green arrow. None of it really makes any sense, but maybe I'm just expecting too much from comic book TV.

What makes it even more stupid is it's all basically a rehash of previous story beats. We've already seen the 'criminal seeking revenge over dead family member' story, and the 'Oliver losing and regaining the trust of those close to him' one too. I also thought we were done with the 'Quentin trying to find good in Black Siren' BS. It completely undermines any sense of stakes or progression and makes the whole thing feel stale and boring.

ubachung fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 3, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Haha Argus just had a half dozen frogmen and that's it. I was totally expecting a badly CGI'd submarine. Things sure are different now that Waller is gone.
It would have made more sense if they'd just pretended that ARGUS didn't exist at all. Like, did ARGUS just lose a bunch of agents here and go "Oh well, we tried."?

You know what they should have done instead of calling ARGUS? Call Barry. Or Wally. Or Jesse. Or Supergirl. Or the Time Idiots. It makes sense to not call in all these more powerful allies when it's a small-scale threat, but at this point there's no reason not to other than that it's not time for a crossover yet.

TwoPair posted:

I assumed that that was a code that would open the door but also trigger an alarm, and that's how he knew to show up right then.

ubachung posted:

I also thought we were done with the 'Quentin trying to find good in Black Siren' BS.
The dumbest thing about that is the way, this episode, they were like "she just killed our friend, I guess she is evil after all" like as though she hasn't already killed a whole lot of people before. Why does this one extra murder make all the difference?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's Anatoli. He has the biggest axe to grind against Ollie and is fairly open about using any means to get that done.

Someone remind me why Anatoli hates Oliver now?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

hangedman1984 posted:

Someone remind me why Anatoli hates Oliver now?

Ollie brought the Bratva to town to help with something regarding Prometheus, with the promise he'd let them commit a crime as payment, but then he stopped them, breaking the deal and his Bratva bond.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Never reveal the Bratva secret.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The episode would of been a lot better if they were signaling Black Canary 2 was going down Oliver's original plan of killing people forget the rest. Also, I was starting to like Vigilante.

But yah, Oliver and Dig were right and team Outsiders went gently caress you dad and failed so hard.

Though, I get why they don't call Barry and team Flash because I assume they update each other on goings on in their city and since Barry is in prison...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Though, I get why they don't call Barry and team Flash because I assume they update each other on goings on in their city and since Barry is in prison...
Yeah, 'cause being in prison is really a big problem for him. It's not like he can be in two places at once or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, 'cause being in prison is really a big problem for him. It's not like he can be in two places at once or anything.

Barry is not good at pretending he's in prison when he isn't.