Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Help Im Alive posted:

Do people like the amount of dialogue in Celeste

I feel kind of bad since I like the story they're trying to tell but platformers are maybe the one genre where I just want to play the game

About halfway through the hotel (I think) right now, and I've started just skipping through the dialogue really quickly.

People say it's a good story and I'm sure it is. But I don't care about story in a platformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

There's also a certain primal charm that comes from a game with such wildly varying frame rate, that makes you feel like your PS2 is going to explode just from reading the disc

Yeah, sometimes I sort of miss how in the Ancient Times your framerate taking a crap was a sign that what was happening was too awesome for your computer to handle.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaWiZbvfQs

I love how the lyrics to this song are like...complete nonsense. I wonder what they thought they were singing, if they even thought they were singing anything coherent or if they were just trying to sing stuff that sounded cool. Probably the latter, but I'm still curious.

It's a crime they didn't use the super dumb lyrics on any of the actual episodes. They kinda hired Lotus Juice for nothing

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh, I didn't know that the Shadow remake was only $40, that def makes me wanna get it more. Probably gonna hold off since I still wanna get Dragonball FighterZ and Bayonetta later and tho I usually don't do this, I can kiiiiiinda see Shadow being on sale later this year

Macaluso posted:

About halfway through the hotel (I think) right now, and I've started just skipping through the dialogue really quickly.

People say it's a good story and I'm sure it is. But I don't care about story in a platformer.
this is Hella Lame I say, because the resolutions of the story at the end escalate the climax from Beating A Hard Game to something More

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

haveblue posted:

Yeah, sometimes I sort of miss how in the Ancient Times your framerate taking a crap was a sign that what was happening was too awesome for your computer to handle.

You can still get that feeling today with EDF games on ps4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Setting down 10 remote mines in the same location in Goldeneye and watching as your N64 grinds to a halt to render the explosion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Oh, I didn't know that the Shadow remake was only $40, that def makes me wanna get it more. Probably gonna hold off since I still wanna get Dragonball FighterZ and Bayonetta later and tho I usually don't do this, I can kiiiiiinda see Shadow being on sale later this year

this is Hella Lame I say, because the resolutions of the story at the end escalate the climax from Beating A Hard Game to something More

I'm assuming SOTC PS4 will be like 50% by Christmas and I'll probably buy it and play it again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gonna have to update my january game song of the month award to the mhw end credits song, lmao

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Setting down 10 remote mines in the same location in Goldeneye and watching as your N64 grinds to a halt to render the explosion.

Goldeneye has the best explosions because practically everything explodes and often explosions contain mini explosions.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Goldeneye has the best explosions because practically everything explodes and often explosions contain mini explosions.
In James Bond's world tables and computers are all made with nitroglycerin.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

al-azad posted:

I always enjoyed how the explosions happened in a circle pattern

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Macaluso posted:

That's the only place with a lot of dialogue interruptions and it contrasts with the rest of the game. The story is good cause it reflects on the levels and makes them feel more like real places.

In general the story is handled by optional scenes where you can talk to folks if you want, short scenes bookending chapters, and very short and rare interruptions (excepting ch3). It's a game that knows when to talk and when it shut up and I was impressed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

an actual dog posted:

That's the only place with a lot of dialogue interruptions and it contrasts with the rest of the game. The story is good cause it reflects on the levels and makes them feel more like real places.

That's true, the previous stage felt a lot more like it was giving me a story through the gameplay, with the mirror shattering and the ghost thing chasing you. And the phone call at the end was very good. The hotel has been irritating because while it's had a lot of really good and tough platforming segments, the guy running the hotel never stops talking and will halt all progression forward to do so. So I've lost a lot of interesting in the story in the hotel.

Platformers are a genre that REALLY suffers if you stop the momentum to have words going on the screen. That's something that like Tropical Freeze did exceptionally well is have each level and series of levels tell a story without a single bit of a dialogue.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

That's true, the previous stage felt a lot more like it was giving me a story through the gameplay, with the mirror shattering and the ghost thing chasing you. And the phone call at the end was very good. The hotel has been irritating because while it's had a lot of really good and tough platforming segments, the guy running the hotel never stops talking and will halt all progression forward to do so. So I've lost a lot of interesting in the story in the hotel.

Platformers are REALLY a genre that suffers if you stop the momentum to have words going on the screen. That's something that like Tropical Freeze did exceptionally well is have each level and series of levels tell a story without a single bit of a dialogue.

You'll like the next level

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

I'm assuming SOTC PS4 will be like 50% by Christmas and I'll probably buy it and play it again
i respect that

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The story in Celeste is good

I mean, in the hotel the whole point is the guy is trying to be accommodating but is actually getting in your way so it's not like the way it goes is an accident. It's also not like it takes up all that much time anyways

Man, I still feel kind if dumb tainting my save by turning on assist mode even though it does nothing. I also don't want to start again because I've already done so much and once again it does nothing.

If anyone is wondering, I turned it on to get the 1up which is possible without assist mode on, but totally bullshit

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Night in the Woods' depiction of small town religion is quite refreshing. The church as a pillar of this colonial community is evident in most people's lives but it's crumbling like everything else, not because of twisted dogma or corruption but the pettiness of people. The pastor is the one adult trying to grow the community, trying to change, while the council clings desperately to what crumbs are left.

I just didn't expect to see that in a video game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I really liked the story of Celeste because yeah it hits very close to home for me, so how the game ends I was pretty happy with the conclusion. Sure a bit sappy but gently caress it.

Now to do B side and get everything else. gently caress. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't understand how Night in the Woods takes up a DVD worth of disc space. The whole game is 2D animation against static backgrounds and unvoiced dialog trees.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's not true but okay dude

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

haveblue posted:

I don't understand how Night in the Woods takes up a DVD worth of disc space. The whole game is 2D animation against static backgrounds and unvoiced dialog trees.

it's like 10+ hours of stuff dude it's way bigger than most games like it just in terms of content

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would guess it's uncompressed audio or something. It's a larger download than DBFZ

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
NITW has a lot of great content so I’m not surprised if it takes longer to download. Demon tower is a full game with individual songs for each map. It also has the two extra smaller side-stories added in the Weird Autumn DLC as well, which add an additional 1-2 hours of play as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

What's weird is how long NITW takes to load for a game of its type but I chalk that up to "studio's first feature-length project."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

is it weird that I love monster hunter a lot but hate grinding? I played through all of HR with the same weapon and zorah/anja armor

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

is it weird that I love monster hunter a lot but hate grinding? I played through all of HR with the same weapon and zorah/anja armor

Why would it be?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

Why would it be?
everyone I ever talk to about monhun is always grinding something and worrying extensively about elemental resistances, and I just never do that in these games. I'm just like "ah well this is an ice monster and my armor is weak against ice... guess I just won't get hit"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't mind the grindy type of games but I generally don't like to switch setups if I'm having a good time with one, so I tend to gravitate towards builds that are generally flexible for any situation.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

homeless snail posted:

everyone I ever talk to about monhun is always grinding something and worrying extensively about elemental resistances, and I just never do that in these games. I'm just like "ah well this is an ice monster and my armor is weak against ice... guess I just won't get hit"

No, I finished Gen with the bujabujabu armor that's like literally the first set people make because whats the difference really.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

haveblue posted:

every environmental asset might be a 2000+px^2 png with almost no tiling. check your ram usage when you play it next time; if it's fairly large, then you know this is the case

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like making lots of new weapons/armor sets in monster hunter but it doesn't really feel like grinding to me unless I'm trying to get like a 2% carve or something. Fighting in MH is always pretty engaging

Grinding makes me think more of a JRPG where it's just mindless and you're not really doing anything

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

haveblue posted:

it's really good animation

al-azad
May 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

The backgrounds aren't static, they're individual sprites fit together on a 3D plane to give an illusion of depth. There's thousands of individual pieces that fit together like legos.

I was curious myself though and ripped some of the games files. I don't know the specifics of Unity, but I thought this game was using some kind of in-program manipulation of 2D sprites but apparently everything is hand animated at individual frames. Like Angus' running animation, something I don't think I've seen and I'm on chapter 3, is 23 individual sprites. Bea's eyelids closing is like 11 sprites and each character can be made of a dozen or so parts pasted together with unique custom animations for weird stuff they can't just auto tween like swinging the bat.

There's literally thousands and the game was built for 1080p 60fps so you can do the math on why it's 5-ish gigabytes. The music is also about 1gb in total.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 3, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm fine with grinding for fashion or to make a specific weapon I think is cool or other optional stuff, but I hate grinding for required progression. I'm more willing to accept optional grind of the game clearly respects your time otherwise, which I think is the difference between MH and mmos.

Also I like to mix up weapons or classes often, so having no real cost to doing that is good.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Mario + Rabbids would be 10x better if it was just a list of levels to pick from instead I have to endure pointless running around, open world tedium, and apparently endless mind numbing block puzzles in between the real content? Boooo

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they could've done an XCOM HQ type thing with Peach's castle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed the breaks, they created natural places to stop so I played it in healthy short sessions instead of 8-hour XCOM marathons

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

The backgrounds aren't static, they're individual sprites fit together on a 3D plane to give an illusion of depth. There's thousands of individual pieces that fit together like legos.

I was curious myself though and ripped some of the games files. I don't know the specifics of Unity, but I thought this game was using some kind of in-program manipulation of 2D sprites but apparently everything is hand animated at individual frames. Like Angus' running animation, something I don't think I've seen and I'm on chapter 3, is 23 individual sprites. Bea's eyelids closing is like 11 sprites and each character can be made of a dozen or so parts pasted together with unique custom animations for weird stuff they can't just auto tween like swinging the bat.

There's literally thousands and the game was built for 1080p 60fps so you can do the math on why it's 5-ish gigabytes. The music is also about 1gb in total.

:stonk:

al-azad posted:

Night in the Woods' depiction of small town religion is quite refreshing. The church as a pillar of this colonial community is evident in most people's lives but it's crumbling like everything else, not because of twisted dogma or corruption but the pettiness of people. The pastor is the one adult trying to grow the community, trying to change, while the council clings desperately to what crumbs are left.

I just didn't expect to see that in a video game.

NitW becomes way, way, way better if you lived in or around Western Pennsylvania at any point or even just visited for a while, because that's what Possum Springs basically is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's pretty nuts and I'm glad I resisted making a flippant 'yeah it's on Unity lol' remark now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In this day and age, who the hell is put off because a game is a whole 7 gigs?

• Locked thread