Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

I've been trying to place why exactly this show is really grabbing me immediately (besides being black) and I think it's because it feels like the first superhero show to treat the hero as an integral part of the community

I agree with this! This is exactly what I liked about Luke Cage, although I think this show does it even better.

Between this show, Black Panther, Luke S2 and some other projects, I feel like 2018 is shaping up to be a great year for black media.

I'm hoping for a new black renaissance, complete with a large amount of afro-futurism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It just won't be the same without Dwayne McDuffie.

I wonder if Aaron McGruder is interested in superheroes.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

It just won't be the same without Dwayne McDuffie.

I wonder if Aaron McGruder is interested in superheroes.

I remember getting excited for a new McGruder project, but I can't remember what it was now for the life of me. Boondocks is still great, I would love a live action one on Netflix or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Koalas March posted:

I remember getting excited for a new McGruder project, but I can't remember what it was now for the life of me. Boondocks is still great, I would love a live action one on Netflix or something.

I just checked his wiki page and it mentioned a series with Hudlin on an alt history in response to the Confederates series with this alt history being Black people get three states as reparations for the Civil War

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Xelkelvos posted:

I just checked his wiki page and it mentioned a series with Hudlin on an alt history in response to the Confederates series with this alt history being Black people get three states as reparations for the Civil War

Yeah, its for Amazon. All the press releases compared it to Man in High Castle. I don't know if it's going to be tonally similar or if they were just making that comparison since Man in High Castle was well received and from the same studio.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Did you ever watch Black Jesus? That was really great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Adder Moray posted:

As for Henderson? He's a 'Good Cop'. Not crooked. Not on the take. Genuinely trying to do right by the community. Blind to the inequities of his police force. Quick to defend and absolve them of any wrongdoing.

I'm hoping the show doesn't go the easy route. It would be so easy to fridge the cop or Not Alfred Pennyworth to provide Black Lightning with faux motivation (that would undermine everything the show is doing so so right).

But this is the CW network, so that fear is still lurking in the background.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

That makes me sad, Charlie Murphy's cancer was making him so thin.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Adder Moray posted:

So I am fairly positive Eve isn't Tobias' superior. More likely something of a more senior equal in whatever enterprise their group is in. You don't bring a peace offering to your boss as apology for your (underlings') gently caress up. That's already your boss' money. But she's definitely got more clout than he does. He was cautious, but not fearful.

Yeah, I didn't get the sense that Eve had direct power over Tobias but he was clearly somewhat respectful and cautious with her. Maybe they're just rival crime leaders working with a shaky peace, and she's just got more man power or something. But it just made me curious to see more and like there might be a bigger story on that side of the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The way it looks, she's handling a different sector of business (protection) than Whale (drugs and prostitution) and while at the sane organisational level, is higher regarded or status in some way

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, something like that. I'm not really speculative about it because it feels like they've got a world worked out and I'm just curious to see it unfold.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Welp, not only did my local channel show Trump instead of Black Lightning, I've just checked the recording of the delayed showing tonight and it's recorded 2 episodes of 'Last Man Standing' instead which is really not a great substitute.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's always the CW app/their website.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

There's always the CW app/their website.
Yep. And they don’t require you to have to use a cable/streaming/satellite account to use it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Welp, not only did my local channel show Trump instead of Black Lightning, I've just checked the recording of the delayed showing tonight and it's recorded 2 episodes of 'Last Man Standing' instead which is really not a great substitute.

This is what you get for not moving to Europe where all the CW-shows are released on Netflix.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The conversation between Tobias and Lady Eve was very clearly not one between equal colleagues. She may not be his direct boss, but he is clearly afraid of her, and is very deferential.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

MiddleOne posted:

This is what you get for not moving to Europe where all the CW-shows are released on Netflix.

I actually moved from the UK to the US, so... yeah.

Anyway, this Trump/Tim Allen combo has my wife insisting that the Boston CW affiliate must be run by a cabal of alt right white nationalists, and to be honest she's probably right.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Anyway, this Trump/Tim Allen combo has my wife insisting that the Boston CW affiliate must be run by a cabal of alt right white nationalists, and to be honest she's probably right.

If it's a Sinclair affiliate then yes, she is correct.

I always meant to but I never got around to it. I think it aired like right after I stopped regularly watching adult swim.

I dont know posted:

Yeah, its for Amazon. All the press releases compared it to Man in High Castle. I don't know if it's going to be tonally similar or if they were just making that comparison since Man in High Castle was well received and from the same studio.

They're probably comparing it to MIHC as in, it's a high concept alternate history series.

Either way, it sounds dope.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Well you did succesfully dodge Brexit by the skin of your teeth so I'd call that a positive trade-off. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So it's Mirakuru in pill form.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

...was that dude still alive?? :stonk:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

So it's Mirakuru in pill form.

I kinda wish they were more clear about being in the Arrow-verse because you know Count Vertigo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I kinda wish they were more clear about being in the Arrow-verse because you know Count Vertigo.

They're not gonna confirm or deny it until all of the season numbers are in. Honestly, I'd rather it stay its own thing.

howe_sam posted:

...was that dude still alive?? :stonk:

Doesn't look like. He has autopsy stitch work. There's definitely a lot more to Lady E than has been shown and she'll likely be the one at the end of the road rather than Tobias. That he's relatively new is probably also why he's clearly the low man on the totem pole among the higher ups.

Edit: It's probably voodoo and she's making a zombie

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 7, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The only way I want this in the Arrowverse is if Black Lightning beats up Ollie and reminds him that he's been doing this a lot longer.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Koalas March posted:

The only way I want this in the Arrowverse is if Black Lightning beats up Ollie and reminds him that he's been doing this a lot longer.

He yells at ollie, "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY"

but with that deep voice that makes me wonder if my kinsey score is higher

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They need an Arrow crossover so Felicity can give Khalil a walking chip.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

He yells at ollie, "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY"

but with that deep voice that makes me wonder if my kinsey score is higher

Now this is my kind of fanfiction.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's only room for one hardass in any group and in crossovers, that's Ollie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xelkelvos posted:

Doesn't look like. He has autopsy stitch work. There's definitely a lot more to Lady E than has been shown and she'll likely be the one at the end of the road rather than Tobias. That he's relatively new is probably also why he's clearly the low man on the totem pole among the higher ups.

Edit: It's probably voodoo and she's making a zombie

It was something hosed up, the dude's eyes were open and responsive

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea there is no way that Lady Eve and Tobias are the same rank in their organization. Not sure why people thought that either after their first scene together. Also was she doing some freaky voodoo poo poo? :stonk:

I really liked that vigilante justice gone wrong scene. If only she had magical Batman level training to punch people just hard enough to hurt them but not nearly kill them :v:

I hope Khalil doesn't fall for this obvious ploy.

e:

the_rhino posted:

But Black Lighting, I sell drugs to the community. Now can I get a selfie with you?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 7, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Can we change the thread title to “Snitches Get Zzztttzztchs” please?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also how the gently caress do these people not instantly recognize Jeff when he shows up somewhere in his civvies, threatens them, leaves, and then shows up again 20 minutes later wearing that same beard, a super suit, and a pair of lovely sunglasses that don’t actually disguise his face?

Like, I love this show so much, and it’s otherwise perfect, but I’ll just never get over that one.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also how the gently caress do these people not instantly recognize Jeff when he shows up somewhere in his civvies, threatens them, leaves, and then shows up again 20 minutes later wearing that same beard, a super suit, and a pair of lovely sunglasses that don’t actually disguise his face?

Like, I love this show so much, and it’s otherwise perfect, but I’ll just never get over that one.

Uh excuse me I think you'll find he changes them to mirrored shades when he knows someone :rolleye:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Anissa said in the second episode that she couldn't look too clearly at BL's face because it was too...powerful, or something. He's like Zeus. :science:

There were some really goddamn powerful moments in this episode like, man, the part where Jefferson asked "Where is the future?" to that student really got to me.

But this Khalil plot better be setting us all up for a massive subversion or something because this thing about Tobias turning him against BL is, like, Flash-writers levels of nonsense. :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm really disliking Gambi and the way he seems to think it's his job to manage the information Pierce receives.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm really disliking Gambi and the way he seems to think it's his job to manage the information Pierce receives.

He's up to something. I don't know what, but it's not good. At best he's trying to keep Pierce from knowing Tobias is alive so he doesn't do something stupid. At worst he's manipulating Black Lightning to his own end.

Political commentary: the well off white guy is helping BL out, ostensibly out of altruism, but still using him to his own ends. Gods I love this show.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, he's already got the perfect defense if someone brings it up to him.

"What? You think that guy looks like me? All black people look alike to you, is that it?"

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea there is no way that Lady Eve and Tobias are the same rank in their organization. Not sure why people thought that either after their first scene together. Also was she doing some freaky voodoo poo poo? :stonk:

I think she was embalming him while he was still alive.

Does anyone else get the feeling the vice principal is up to something?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Murderion posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling the vice principal is up to something?

Oh, for sure! Early in the episode she told Jefferson that she wasn't his secretary and he should call the School Board. At the end, when she was giving him the School Board's ultimatum to give up his veto and get only a vote she happily skipped out of the room to call them.

She was probably the one who suggested that option to the Board to begin with, at least that's my theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
The echo of the "you can talk to me about anything" line from the first episode changed it's meaning from "I would love to board the train to bone town with you, choo choo" to "please, tell me all of your secrets". I look forward to finding out if she's in the 100 or just a regular conniving careerist rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread