Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

That front quarter view makes the thing look good. The top down view reveals that it looks fat af.

It's not the worst looking car in motorsport, but it looks like it's trying way too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
So it turns out that Land Motorsport drew that insane 5-minute stop & hold penalty because they figured out how to arrange the fuel tank ballast in such a way as to reduce turbulence in the fuel tank, allowing them to fuel faster than the competition. There is no regulation about how the fuel tank ballast is set up, and all the regulated parts like the fuel tank restrictor were still in spec. It was a bit of clever Smokey Yunick engineering, violating the spirit of the BoP rules without actually violating the letter. Which makes IMSA's decision to end their race with that penalty even more questionable:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/147156-pruett-the-strange-land-motorsport-penalty

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

So it turns out that Land Motorsport drew that insane 5-minute stop & hold penalty because they figured out how to arrange the fuel tank ballast in such a way as to reduce turbulence in the fuel tank, allowing them to fuel faster than the competition. There is no regulation about how the fuel tank ballast is set up, and all the regulated parts like the fuel tank restrictor were still in spec. It was a bit of clever Smokey Yunick engineering, violating the spirit of the BoP rules without actually violating the letter. Which makes IMSA's decision to end their race with that penalty even more questionable:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/147156-pruett-the-strange-land-motorsport-penalty

You bet your rear end that they're gonna have black and white rules for minimum refuelling time now though, which sucks. On one hand, I applaud Land for the amount of effort they put in to gaining an advantage while still remaining within the BoP specifications, but on the other hand, if they had kept that advantage, it would have turned all 3 classes of the race into a loving snoozefest, because P would have been locked up by Caddy, GTLM by Ford, and GTD by Land, by a long shot. IMSA did a loving hamhanded job of BoP for this race, hopefully they do a better job at the other races.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA has been pretty clear that they expect teams to be up-front about the BOP, and everyone knows that IMSA balances refueling times. GTD is explicitly not a "build a better mousetrap" category, hence why manufacturer supported teams are banned (except when IMSA decides they arent, like the Toyota and Acura last year, lol).

They took a NASCAR/IndyCar/F1 approach to the rules and tried to exploit a gray zone. But this isn't the category where "well it isnt TECHNICALLY illegal!!!!" is welcome, and thats been clear. I don't really feel bad for them. If they woulda asked before, they woulda got the answer.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Bathurst 12 hour qualifying/practice and supports live on the official Bathurst 12 Hour youtube channel now

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I normally head out to watch the race on the Sunday but I don't have time to do it this year so I'll have to make do with the live stream instead. The commentary at the track is the same as the stream anyways but it's always a good day out for me with my Dad and brother.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbWW396ny0g

radical race just finished, combined sedans next, then the top ten shootout

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And if you’re in Australia or NZ the nismo stream tomorrow is geoblocked and I don’t know what other options there are outside of watching it on tv

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I don't have a TV (aerial)

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I think 7’s online streaming is doing it cause the top 10 shootout is currently streaming on it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7geJSaDkCE

SRO stream for Bathurst starting in about 90 minutes. Also Will Davidson somehow did a 720 and didn't hit anything.
https://twitter.com/followWRT/status/959533393812840453

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeL9icM

Some photos I took during the rolex 24. Most of my stuff came out pretty boring.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwLVSX1p_nM

As always, gently caress Whincup.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
the time counter just went to 400 laps... is this a Time or Distance certain event? 2500km or 12h?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

the time counter just went to 400 laps... is this a Time or Distance certain event? 2500km or 12h?

12 hours or 400 laps, which ever happens first.

The latter is almost not going to happen anytime soon but it's a "well, assuming we have absolutely no safety cars, we at least can call it early" thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the story on the formation lap was that race control really wants to make this the first 300 lap Bathurst.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LMAO no GT-R to give the other teams a chance to win, nice description on that video

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Audi driver who hit hard taken to hospital apparently, but conscious and stable.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There’s a much smaller diversity of cars in the race this year which is a shame really. It’s nice to see the Audi’s are performing as usual by smacking into things

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Habul trying really hard to give Mercedes a good profit on spares in the cutting, that'll have made the poo come out. Merc must love it when Vautier and Habul come together in a team.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Hitting the medical car should really be a 'go home and dont come back ever' penalty

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And the Bentley has blown itself apart in the chase.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Hitting the medical car should really be a 'go home and dont come back ever' penalty

I'm more surprised that the medical car was circulating without the SC out, but haha holy poo poo they should have been DQed from the race immediately for striking the medical car :agreed:

E: Stop loving talking about Jamie Whincup, John! Don't give him any more attention!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
McLaren is heating up this race

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
If Kenny Habul does his usual performance we wont have to see Whincup in the car again

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Lmfao that marshal doesn't know how to use a fire extinguisher

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Lmfao that marshal doesn't know how to use a fire extinguisher

Exactly what I said.

Also couldn't have happened to a better drive (except Whincup).

gently caress Paul Morris

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just remembered about this race and just saw the highlights on 7 Mate.

Some good quality smashes there

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The Daytona cars are pretty tops but seem to spend more time in the pits than they do racing every year.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Those MARC Mazdas are just mobile chicanes at the top of the mountain, holy hell. They bunch everyone up, or crash people trying to dive around them.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
loving Mostert. oval office bag of the century

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol whyyyyyyy

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
rip bentley

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
classic Chaz

edit: 12 & 100 take themselves out of contention with poor pit strategy

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 4, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I wished I'd remembered to put it on earlier, but there's some good GT3 stupidity happening.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Bentley is back out even if it’s not in contention anymore.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

And bye bye Audi 74 :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rip that transmission :rip:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Rip that transmission :rip:

It was also almost rip to the pit reporter too, wouldn’t have wanted to ask the questions in that situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Will whincup whincup?