Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't use systemd in two instances:

1) My factory flash filing systems, as the only job is a single init script that runs /usr/bin/flash_fs

2) Initramfs filing system.
My embedded devices always have an initramfs that chroots into a rootfs on a separate partition. As such it doesn't even have a init. The rootfs does, however, have systemd. It's cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

\we need to use bash for init because the language that literally forks a process to evaluate an if statement is somehow a better fit on a smaller system wait what *hangs self*

[ and test are builtins in bash and i thought the if statement just "executed" whatever and didn't necessarily fork unless it was an external command

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

hifi posted:

just connected the dots that tmux has 24 bit color support so the rest of my terminal should too

Any major advantage of using tmux over screen?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i see no inherent problem with shell scripts on an embedded system as long as it has a tmp directory for scratch work

busybox ash is a better option than bash though

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'd even say that unix shells rival forth as an embedded development bootstrap (obviously on very different hardware classes)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"b-b-but the process churn" so what? you're talking about process table entries, not condoms. you can use them more than once

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Gazpacho posted:

i see no inherent problem with shell scripts on an embedded system as long as it has a tmp directory for scratch work

busybox ash is a better option than bash though

[ and test aren't builtins in ash. tradeoffs. as long as forks are cheap (especially in busybox where everything is the same executable anyway?) you're okay I guess. (I have *no* experience in embedded stuff except for working on existing Perl code for an firewall appliance based on a soekris type motherboard but that was 15 years ago. and if you're running perl you're already at the point where I doubt that even counts as "embedded".)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

trilljester posted:

i think screen is mostly at feature parity now with tmux, but you use to have to patch screen to get vertical splitting. maybe navigating between split screens? tmux has the notion of moving up/down/left/right and i think screen still only lets you rotate between panes.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Another great thing about the shell is that you can easily generate a whole lot of console output and look like a leet matrix hacker

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There Will Be Penalty posted:

[ and test aren't builtins in ash. tradeoffs. as long as forks are cheap (especially in busybox where everything is the same executable anyway?) you're okay I guess. (I have *no* experience in embedded stuff except for working on existing Perl code for an firewall appliance based on a soekris type motherboard but that was 15 years ago. and if you're running perl you're already at the point where I doubt that even counts as "embedded".)

embedded doesn't just mean microcontrollers. for linuxes if you're running busybox its embedded

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

embedded doesn't just mean microcontrollers. for linuxes if you're running busybox its embedded

like android

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

i think screen is mostly at feature parity now with tmux, but you use to have to patch screen to get vertical splitting. maybe navigating between split screens? tmux has the notion of moving up/down/left/right and i think screen still only lets you rotate between panes.

use iterm and tmux -CC

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

trilljester posted:

tmux is the hipster choice

so use screen

preferably old GPLv2 screen

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gazpacho posted:

i'd even say that unix shells rival forth as an embedded development bootstrap (obviously on very different hardware classes)

I saw one project for a non-Unix OS use Tcl in this role

shudder

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

trilljester posted:

not having to remap the loving prefix from ctrl-a to something usable

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

I saw one project for a non-Unix OS use Tcl in this role

shudder
:frog: <(go on)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

well, they wanted to be able to write scripts at startup and also occasionally use a command shell

but their process model was entirely unlike Unix, so they used Tcl

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

well, they wanted to be able to write scripts at startup and also occasionally use a command shell

but their process model was entirely unlike Unix, so they used Tcl

I use some software which needs to be scripted in TCL and honestly it's not terrible. I think I might even rather write TCL than bash.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

I use some software which needs to be scripted in TCL and honestly it's not terrible. I think I might even rather write TCL than bash.

just remember to delete all extraneous whitespace to maximize performance

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Speaking of systemd being cool and good:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2018-January/040299.html

The new sd-bus api callouts are cool and good.
Also the DHCPv6 stuff and a bunch of other stuff.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh nice now i can use systemd-networkd to run an ipv6 gateway

radvd sux

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sapozhnik posted:

oh nice now i can use systemd-networkd to run an ipv6 gateway

somewhere, a greybeard screams

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

trilljester posted:

havent used either for a while but i vaguely remember tmux's shortcuts and config syntax being significantly better than screen's

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

havent used either for a while but i vaguely remember tmux's shortcuts and config syntax being significantly better than screen's

there's literally no reason to choose tmux if you're already used to screen. the only reason people use tmux is because they're new to linux so they're inclined to test out the newest and hottest stuff

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

there's literally no reason to choose tmux if you're already used to screen. the only reason people use tmux is because they're new to linux so they're inclined to test out the newest and hottest stuff

there's one reason

the predominant terminal emulator on osx has super-slick integration with tmux, and not screen

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

now that i think about it some more, i think i had a sweet setup on tmux where i had multiple tabs going with some kind of tab UI along the bottom showing which of the tabs had new activity. was p useful when i was leeching off a friend's colo machine; i could have one tab with irssi, another with mutt, and i forget what i had in the third tab.

prior to that i'd been using screen for basic detach/attach functionality but i never got the hang of screen's handling of tabs or panels. then i tried that with tmux and it was extremely straightforward to configure and looked better out of the box than screen's version did.

that said this was like 5-7 years ago so im pretty fuzzy on the details, and/or screen or tmux could've changed a bit since then

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

the only thing i use screen for is connecting to a device over a serial port, a la
code:
$ screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
that's pretty much the only feature that screen has over tmux. otherwise tmux is better imo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

now that i think about it some more, i think i had a sweet setup on tmux where i had multiple tabs going with some kind of tab UI along the bottom showing which of the tabs had new activity. was p useful when i was leeching off a friend's colo machine; i could have one tab with irssi, another with mutt, and i forget what i had in the third tab.

prior to that i'd been using screen for basic detach/attach functionality but i never got the hang of screen's handling of tabs or panels. then i tried that with tmux and it was extremely straightforward to configure and looked better out of the box than screen's version did.

that said this was like 5-7 years ago so im pretty fuzzy on the details, and/or screen or tmux could've changed a bit since then

i think thats basically the default for screen/tmux. highlight the terminals that have a bell go off

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tankakern posted:

i assume that goes both ways right? i learned on tmux so there's no real reason to learn screen unless i encounter a system that can only have screen?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

carry on then posted:

i assume that goes both ways right? i learned on tmux so there's no real reason to learn screen unless i encounter a system that can only have screen?

it's kind of more like vim/any other cli editor. busybox and default linuxes probably all have screen

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hifi posted:

it's kind of more like vim/any other cli editor. busybox and default linuxes probably all have screen

that's not what i was asking, i'm curious about the case where both are available. any reason to try screen if i have tmux available?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

that's not what i was asking, i'm curious about the case where both are available. any reason to try screen if i have tmux available?

no

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

thanks!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

i think thats basically the default for screen/tmux. highlight the terminals that have a bell go off

with iterm & tmux it'll show ridin' spinnaz in the tab bar when there's ongoing activity (i.e. recent output), a big blue dot if there's new stuff you haven't seen, and a bell icon if there was a bell

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
use screen because it is prebuilt and also good. lol if you get hung up on key bindings

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

just saw this earnestly posted

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU Plus GNU system made useful by the GNU Plus GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU Plus GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “GNU Plus Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU Plus GNU system, developed by the GNU Plus GNU Project. There really is a GNU Plus Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNU Plus Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU Plus Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU Plus GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU Plus GNU with GNU Plus Linux added, or GNU Plus GNU/GNU Plus Linux. All the so-called “GNU Plus Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU Plus GNU/GNU Plus Linux.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what was the richard copypasta

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

just saw this earnestly posted

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU's Not Unix/GNU's Not Unix/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU's Not Unix plus GNU's Not Unix plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU's Not Unix Plus GNU's Not Unix system made useful by the GNU's Not Unix Plus GNU's Not Unix corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU's Not Unix Plus GNU's Not Unix system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU's Not Unix which is widely used today is often called “GNU's Not Unix Plus Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU's Not Unix Plus GNU's Not Unix system, developed by the GNU's Not Unix Plus GNU's Not Unix Project. There really is a GNU's Not Unix Plus Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNU's Not Unix Plus Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU's Not Unix Plus Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU's Not Unix Plus GNU's Not Unix operating system: the whole system is basically GNU's Not Unix Plus GNU's Not Unix with GNU's Not Unix Plus Linux added, or GNU's Not Unix Plus GNU's Not Unix/GNU's Not Unix Plus Linux. All the so-called “GNU's Not Unix Plus Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU's Not Unix Plus GNU's Not Unix/GNU's Not Unix Plus Linux.