Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

precision posted:

As far as I know Jared Leto's creepiness was contained to when he was touring with his band, and very few people want to start the conversation that begins "Bowie hosed teenagers and knew they were teenagers" and at some point has to contend with "if a person has a fake ID and is at a 21+ concert drinking alcohol, should the musician be expected to know their ID is fake?" The stuff coming out in Hollywood, from Weinstein to Ansari, is all much less ambiguously wrong.

The guy from Brand New got destroyed over his behavior with underage girls, so Leto would receive similar scorn.

I mean, why else would 30STM exist if not for this purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Or else what, he'll get his rear end kicked by Billy Ray Cyrus, ala Mulholland Drive?

Lawsuits?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

If you're gonna be cheeky about a guy loving his own daughter or whatever, it only reflects badly on you. Either you actually believe it and don't care/think it's funny, or...? This is why MacFarlane's bullshit never tracks for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

If you're gonna be cheeky about a guy loving his own daughter or whatever, it only reflects badly on you. Either you actually believe it and don't care/think it's funny, or...? This is why MacFarlane's bullshit never tracks for me.

I don't care one way or the other about him in particular, but I do think a lot of comedy about topics like that come from a place of coping. You've heard it's true, but you joke about it because you want it not to be true. It's basically superstition, along the lines of "speak of the devil" or telling actors "break a leg".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think you can allow for that and also acknowledge it can also come from a place of simply being a chucklefuck.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Anonymous John posted:

The guy from Brand New got destroyed over his behavior with underage girls, so Leto would receive similar scorn.

I mean, why else would 30STM exist if not for this purpose?

I'm the guy that confuses 30STM and The Mars Volta

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I think you can allow for that and also acknowledge it can also come from a place of simply being a chucklefuck.

For sure, and with MacFarlane it's probably more that than anything. A Million Ways To Die in the West certainly proved that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Or else what, he'll get his rear end kicked by Billy Ray Cyrus, ala Mulholland Drive?

or he'll make someone very powerful with an interest in covering this up very angry and end up "mysteriously" "committing suicide" before he's able to say anything too dangerous.

like, after some of the poo poo that's come out about Weinstein, I'd be terrified of saying anything I knew too.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DrVenkman posted:

Things got a little awkward with Rose McGowan recently. There was the odd Colbert interview and then the same day there was this: http://variety.com/2018/scene/vpage/rose-mcgowan-meltdown-barnes-and-noble-book-signing-1202684004

Regarding the protester in the audience, I wonder about the use of always undercutting advocates in your own corner ("what about this thing you said, what about this thing you did years ago"). It's a thing that's especially prevalent on Twitter. She may have a good point about Rose, and certainly her silence on the subject of Victor Salvia deserves a response, but I feel like this hostile, accusatory tone serves nothing more than one's own sense of satisfaction, and hurts the movement's ability to gain traction.

Though I must admit, being a white cis male, nobody has ever asked me to tone down my plight.

And crying and screaming isn't a great reply either. If you're going to try and be a figurehead of abused women, you need elephant skin.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Here's something fun - so James Toback is a director who lives on Manhattan's Upper West Side, and has been using a weird specific pattern of behavior to try to pick up women for more than thirty years.

https://twitter.com/Nicole_Cliffe/status/959449488455643136

(Read the whole thing. Do it.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Were the Wu-Tang Clan always involved?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
The Mormons, the lemon bars cinnamon rolls...all of it, always.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mister Mind posted:

I normally hate Tweet chains, but this one delivered.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mister Mind posted:

Here's something fun - so James Toback is a director who lives on Manhattan's Upper West Side, and has been using a weird specific pattern of behavior to try to pick up women for more than thirty years.

https://twitter.com/Nicole_Cliffe/status/959449488455643136

Who the hell is James Toback?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who the hell is James Toback?

The only thing of any real note he's done is Bugsy. Looking him up on Wikipedia, he seems more notable for how loving bizarre his life has been (even before this) than his actual filmography. Dude used to live with Jim Brown (the NFL player) and had orgies with him, and once tripped balls on acid for 8 days straight and lost all fear of death as a result.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

he did The Pick-Up Artist lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm pretty sure Blade kills him in a strip club at the end of Blade 2.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

davidspackage posted:

Regarding the protester in the audience, I wonder about the use of always undercutting advocates in your own corner ("what about this thing you said, what about this thing you did years ago"). It's a thing that's especially prevalent on Twitter. She may have a good point about Rose, and certainly her silence on the subject of Victor Salvia deserves a response, but I feel like this hostile, accusatory tone serves nothing more than one's own sense of satisfaction, and hurts the movement's ability to gain traction.

Though I must admit, being a white cis male, nobody has ever asked me to tone down my plight.

And crying and screaming isn't a great reply either. If you're going to try and be a figurehead of abused women, you need elephant skin.

A lot of people commenting on this have been pretty harsh on McGowan for her response and while I think she said some questionable things (She pretty much minimalises trans issues) I don't think the person accosting her at the event got it right either. It clearly got very heated very quickly, however, this is also off the back of some lovely things that McGowan has said about someone like Caitlyn Jenner for example.

Instead, the event turns ugly and it turns trauma into a pissing contest. While the message desperately needs to be heard I don't think McGowan is the best person to do it (And it's no surprise that it pivoted away from her and into the #metoo movement instead of #rosearmy). I can absolutely understand the elation and fear that she must have now that the truth is out there, but I can't help seeing this undercurrent of turning that into a second career like Corey Feldman has. The way she lashes out at anyone who isn't on her specific brand is indicative of that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Piece here about Uma Thurman's experiences with Weinstein, it is written by Maureen Dowd though so it's borderline incomprehensible at times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/...ol-right-region

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Quentin Tarantino is a turd of a human being. I really hate directors who are abusive "for the sake of the picture". Aronofsky is one of these dickheads, too. You''re not Kubrick, shitheads. It isn't tolerable when Kubrick did it, either.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Death Proof feels a lot more personal now in retrospect.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Death Proof feels a lot more personal now in retrospect.

I think there's some reaching on the part of the article though. It should read about the disposable treatment of women in Hollywood both on and off the set, except that it takes the Weinstein rape - which almost feels like an afterthought - and the car crash and kind of implies that one led to the other. The later mention of DEATH PROOF seems to imply that Tarantino was living out something he didn't get to do for real, which alright maybe he was dealing with some complicated feelings on that issue, but when the piece seems to infer that Thurman was being 'punished' for speaking out, it reads like it's missing the woods for the trees.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Also it stands to note that Death Proof ends with Stuntman Mike, who could be interpreted as A Tarantino stand-in, running away with his tail between his legs and being dragged out and beaten to death by the women he was terrorizing. Lends to the “complicated feelings” idea, I guess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Judakel posted:

Quentin Tarantino is a turd of a human being. I really hate directors who are abusive "for the sake of the picture". Aronofsky is one of these dickheads, too. You''re not Kubrick, shitheads. It isn't tolerable when Kubrick did it, either.

He's abusive? I haven't heard any stories of that, except for him being the one to choke Diane Kruger in the choking scene, but I had heard that was at her request because she trusted him.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's abusive? I haven't heard any stories of that, except for him being the one to choke Diane Kruger in the choking scene, but I had heard that was at her request because she trusted him.

Yeah, that link details how he choked and spit on Uma face. Also, he made her do a stunt that left her with permanent injuries.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Judakel posted:

Yeah, that link details how he choked and spit on Uma face. Also, he made her do a stunt that left her with permanent injuries.
Thurman acknowledges that first part was at least kinda sorta voluntary, but that stunt, woof. She should sue these chumps for all the cash.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That car stunt sounds reckless for Tarantino to have pushed Uma Thurman into doing, in a way you hear about a number of directors being irresponsible and bullying about dangerous stunts. And it makes sense to lambast him for that, or for there to be legal consequences.

But I'm not sure I buy the implication that he was purposefully trying to kill her to cover up for Harvey Weinstein's sexual abuse.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I like that he told her its just driving down a straight road, then you look at the footage and its five seconds straight road followed by wacky dirt slalom.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Judakel posted:

The stunt thing we can all agree on is bullshit and reckless. But like Diane Kruger, she probably let him spit on her because someone was going to, so it's arguably better to do it with someone that you trust. Sometimes this is the relationship that directors have with their actors.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Because the world moves really loving fast, the woman who confronted Rose McGowan about trans rights has been outed as a sexual predator herself. Multiple women came forward to say she encouraged them to perform sex acts on her when they were teenagers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Tarantino failed to listen to his stunt coordinators and people who are paid to assess danger. I think that's part of the problem of that 'renegade filmmaker' culture where you start not listening to people who know what they're doing because man Tobe Hooper used a live chainsaw and it was real, you know.

I would hope he has learned something since then.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Why wouldn’t they just fake the spit? What the gently caress is wrong with QT?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
There may be some practical reason for it. A lot of things that you'd think would be super easy to fake, end up being strangely difficult when you're actually on a movie set trying to do it in real life and have it not come off as cheesy on film.

On the other hand this is Tarantino we're talking about, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was just being a jackass.

Either way, the first rule on every set, no matter who the director is, should be that no movie, no matter how great, is worth someone being physically or psychologically harmed.

And that directors who don't listen to their own stunt professionals should be next in line to do the dangerous stunt that was so important it was going to make or break the entire movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man, they really couldn't pick anyone other than Maureen Dowd to write this story, huh?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I don't follow a lot of this so I never heard of her. Who is she, and what's the deal with her writing this story?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
She's just a cornball writer. Like describing Thurman as "unsheathing her Hanzo steel" kind of undercuts the actual seriousness of what you're writing about.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Was Dowd the one who ate a bunch of edibles and had a bad time and then wrote an article about how no one should use weed because of it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Was Dowd the one who ate a bunch of edibles and had a bad time and then wrote an article about how no one should use weed because of it?

Yes

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yvqbav/maureen-dowd-freaked-out-on-weed-chocolate-because-shes-stupid

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

I don't follow a lot of this so I never heard of her. Who is she, and what's the deal with her writing this story?

this makes me feel old. she got famous in the 90s for her nyt columns about the lewinsky scandal (i think she even won the pulitzer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

More importantly, she's someone who won a Pulitzer for convincing the nation that Monica Lewinsky was a naive horny gold digger valley girl with an eating disorder.

She's never apologized for this or even shown the slightest bit of self-reflection, even as she climbs aboard a movement whose seeds were planted out of the current President boasting on tape of sexual misconduct. She literally has written about that time since then in a way that would make you think she wasn't literally one of the preeminent voices dragging the immensely less powerful person caught up in it through the mud.

And this is ignoring other dumb bad poo poo she's done like get a neurologist saying "if you're having a stroke, don't go to the emergency room" without, I dunno, talking to another doctor.

Or comparing North Korea to Mean Girls.

Or once calling Al Gore so feminized that he was almost lactating. During the 2000 election.