Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wrapped up the series about an hour ago. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Do they explore the s dual-sleeving in the books at all? Like how was Rei able to tell that Kovacs had done it just by looking at him? You'd think she'd have done it herself at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I just finished my watch. Also very much enjoyed it, and was glad to see how close they stuck with the book's plot.

Rhyno posted:

Wrapped up the series about an hour ago. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Do they explore the s dual-sleeving in the books at all? Like how was Rei able to tell that Kovacs had done it just by looking at him? You'd think she'd have done it herself at some point.

It more or less happens the same way in the book.

Rei knows Kovacs double-sleeved because she's watching him and saw him take up Miriam Bancroft's offer. So the Kovacs showing up on Head In The Clouds must be a double.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Ninth Layer posted:

I just finished my watch. Also very much enjoyed it, and was glad to see how close they stuck with the book's plot.

It more or less happens the same way in the book.

Rei knows Kovacs double-sleeved because she's watching him and saw him take up Miriam Bancroft's offer. So the Kovacs showing up on Head In The Clouds must be a double.

Gotcha. I thought maybe since he was kind of falling apart there for a bit that there was some sort of neural degeneration because of it.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Just wrapped up the series. I am still sort of baffled by Rei's choices to make this empire, especially with having this paradise for Meths where they can fulfill their fantasies with even...children. She built it simply so that she and her brother could live a better life...the Meth life? Bitch, everyone knows mo' money, mo' problems.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Were there ever any games like this, with neurachem upgrades to the body in a cyberpunk type setting?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ok, the freakin bearded biker abuela in ep4 is breaking my fucken heart. :3:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

MrMojok posted:

Were there ever any games like this, with neurachem upgrades to the body in a cyberpunk type setting?

The PnP RPG Eclipse Phase is to Altered Carbon what Shadowrun is to Neuromancer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Development posted:

Just wrapped up the series. I am still sort of baffled by Rei's choices to make this empire, especially with having this paradise for Meths where they can fulfill their fantasies with even...children. She built it simply so that she and her brother could live a better life...the Meth life? Bitch, everyone knows mo' money, mo' problems.

She's been broke brain since she was a little girl and Yakuza snatched her up. She was probably a bit mad before from witness her father dump her mother's body and all the beatings, but I'm guessing the Yakuza is what pushed her over the edge and made her psychotic. Add that to hundreds of years using not only a clone, but other sleeves have well and truly hosed her head.

When they joined the Quellists in the forest on Hanlon's World she was fully fixated on Her and Tak and gently caress everyone else. I mean she basically slaughtered kids when she unleashed the virus in the camp. Running a brothel that caters to the most base clientele is not really out of character. Nor is gaining leverage over the Meths to amass power.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 4, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If ever wanted to see James Purefoy naked in a Sci Fi setting you will enjoy this TV series.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Purefoy hangs dong in almost everything he does

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Firstborn posted:

You can't blame him

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Firstborn posted:

It's a contractual obligation. Much like Tom Hardy must have his mouth covered for at least 15 minutes of runtime.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Yeah, lots of show-offy nudity

Proteus Jones posted:

She's been broke brain since she was a little girl and Yakuza snatched her up. She was probably a bit mad before from witness her father dump her mother's body and all the beatings, but I'm guessing the Yakuza is what pushed her over the edge and made her psychotic. Add that to hundreds of years using not only a clone, but other sleeves have well and truly hosed her head.

When they joined the Quellists in the forest on Hanlon's World she was fully fixated on Her and Tak and gently caress everyone else. I mean she basically slaughtered kids when she unleashed the virus in the camp. Running a brothel that caters to the most base clientele is not really out of character. Nor is gaining leverage over the Meths to amass power.

Oh yeah, totally hosed. I actually was surprised she didn't gently caress Tak in Ortega's body after he patched her up

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope that chick from the killing wasn't using a body double, because hot drat, thats some serious pilates work.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Loved the series up to now, but episode 7 was a loving slog.

An hour and three minutes of backstory in a row, cutting straight from 'cyberpunk noire' to the loving Na'vi Resistance going on magical plothole adventures. Why? Why did they need this?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I need that cover of More Human Than Human from Ep 6.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cheston posted:

Loved the series up to now, but episode 7 was a loving slog.

An hour and three minutes of backstory in a row, cutting straight from 'cyberpunk noire' to the loving Na'vi Resistance going on magical plothole adventures. Why? Why did they need this?

Space mystical kung fu training is the dumbest. Beyond just the flashbacks, the show is at its worst when people are jumping around doing silly ninja stuff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stokes posted:

I love this show. It's like if a Syfy original series got to be what it wanted to be instead of what it had to be. Anyone got a youtube link to the More Human than Human cover that played at the end of episode 6?

Elendil004 posted:

I need that cover of More Human Than Human from Ep 6.

:same:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

BTW the other really good fight song*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUkfrIUOxo

*so far

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like the naked sword fight.

Also the part where the hotel initiates guest protocols is pretty much exactly how I pictured it in the book and is awesome.

It is odd how they stuck to the book almost perfectly for several episodes and then flew off in a totally different direction. It seems weird how everyone is so afraid of the envoys who in this version are a bunch of ragtag marxist revolutionaries instead of an unstoppable government force.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 4, 2018

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Man my attitude towards this went from "goddamn this is almost as good as the Expanse" binge watching to "eh only a few more episodes to go, it's a rainy Saturday might as well finish it" starting at the episode when they revealed his sister was alive and also the Big Bad responsible for literally everything, which was a really unsatisfying resolution to the mysteries they set up in the earlier episodes.

There were still plenty of cool scenes late in the season but overall it felt like Luke Cage's mid-season switcheroo to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leathal posted:

[...]when they revealed his sister was alive and also the Big Bad responsible for literally everything, which was a really unsatisfying resolution to the mysteries they set up in the earlier episodes.

The book does it in a much more satisfying way. They really swerved hard on some of the backstory and later plot points.

I still liked it overall, but the back half had some really frustrating choices made in terms of plot and delivery.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Holy fuckballs. This series just turned itself to 11.

Interrogation? Hold my beer.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Philthy posted:

Holy fuckballs. This series just turned itself to 11.

Hold my beer.

You know who i never see enough of on TV,

Ep:8 Dichen Lachman, Hold my beer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

You know who i never see enough of on TV,

Ep:8 Dichen Lachman, Hold my beer.

Well this show certainly shows you more of her.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve been avoiding spoilers in the thread, does the season cover the entirety of the book? I was considering reading the book after watching the show, but I’ll hold off if the show doesn’t cover the whole thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve been avoiding spoilers in the thread, does the season cover the entirety of the book? I was considering reading the book after watching the show, but I’ll hold off if the show doesn’t cover the whole thing.

Basically, but it diverges from the book.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Started out really liking this, but experienced diminishing returns as it went on.
The setting is great, the fight scenes are badass, (as is the music accompanying them), it has just the right amount of humor and the pacing is mostly breakneck throughout, but ultimately, I feel they didn't land the resolution. Especially in regards to the whole sister thing, which i found pretty unsatisfying. This seems to be a running theme with Netflix shows.

What was with all the allusions to the patchwork man throughout the show but never actually firing that Checkov's gun like they did in the books? What the heck were they doing with the spooky credit nursery rhymes and such if they were not setting up an appearance by the patchwork man?

Feels like they missed a few really good opportunities. That said, I'll definitely watch a second season. There is room for improvement, but this is one of those extremely rare times I've seen a cyberpunk book being done any sort of justice.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Svaha posted:

What was with all the allusions to the patchwork man throughout the show but never actually firing that Checkov's gun like they did in the books? What the heck were they doing with the spooky credit nursery rhymes and such if they were not setting up an appearance by the patchwork man?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory

It was weird that they fused the envoys and the quellists not least because why would they be called envoys then. And the weird grandiose language that quell uses when she’s being the envoy trainer really don’t make much sense in the context of weird forest bound revolutionaries.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Svaha posted:

Started out really liking this, but experienced diminishing returns as it went on.
The setting is great, the fight scenes are badass, (as is the music accompanying them), it has just the right amount of humor and the pacing is mostly breakneck throughout, but ultimately, I feel they didn't land the resolution. Especially in regards to the whole sister thing, which i found pretty unsatisfying. This seems to be a running theme with Netflix shows.

Feels like they missed a few really good opportunities. That said, I'll definitely watch a second season. There is room for improvement, but this is one of those extremely rare times I've seen a cyberpunk book being done any sort of justice.

The patchwork man is Dimi the Twin. In the books, Dimi reminds Kovachs of the story because of the way his appearance shifts in virtual

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Phobeste posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory

It was weird that they fused the envoys and the quellists not least because why would they be called envoys then. And the weird grandiose language that quell uses when she’s being the envoy trainer really don’t make much sense in the context of weird forest bound revolutionaries.

Yeah, I get why they did it, and fused Virginia Viadura with Quell, but it would have made more sense if you had gotten the idea that Quell and the Unsettlement had nearly brought down the whole system. It would have made the notion of the Envoys as bogeymen easier to accept.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Well this show certainly shows you more of her.

She has a lovely figure, but didn't quite look as good in the flesh. Bet it was a body double, which in a show like this is hilarious.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

navyjack posted:

The patchwork man is Dimi the Twin. In the books, Dimi reminds Kovachs of the story because of the way his appearance shifts in virtual

Huh. It's been quite a while since I read the book. Wasn't there a whole other character that they had to interrogate in virtual that turned out to be some sort of monstrous amalgam of personalities? I must be remembering it wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

R-Type posted:

She has a lovely figure, but didn't quite look as good in the flesh. Bet it was a body double, which in a show like this is hilarious.

Well I was referencing skin and multiple versions.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Let's assume that the criminal justice system in Altered Carbon doesn't care about prisoner rehabilitation, which seems reasonable. The question then becomes, why don't they extract more value out of prisoners?

They get a lot of value out of prisoners. Mind goes to jail, body goes to the highest bidder (or someone pays a massive mortgage fee to keep your meat reserved). In a society of nigh immortals labor won't be an issue, so the prisoners sleeves are a high value item

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

navyjack posted:

Ok, the freakin bearded biker abuela in ep4 is breaking my fucken heart. :3:

The character/actor is funny but I have to correct you right there: he’s not a “bearded biker” he’s a literal Nazi (he has a 88 tattoo, which doesn’t mean he’s born in 2x88). I know it’s just a TV show but we kinda have a problem with nazis right now, so I’m just pointing it out for more awareness.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

The character/actor is funny but I have to correct you right there: he’s not a “bearded biker” he’s a literal Nazi (he has a 88 tattoo, which doesn’t mean he’s born in 2x88). I know it’s just a TV show but we kinda have a problem with nazis right now, so I’m just pointing it out for more awareness.

Yeah, I caught the 88 in the second appearance.

Also, I know ppl said things went off the rails in the last few episodes from the books but Quell/Nadia INVENTED STACKS?? I knew that Quellism wasn’t going to make it through corporate TV, but wow they really gutted it, and that change really brought it home.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

R-Type posted:

Looked like a latex chest cover. It looked fine when she was stationary, but whenever so moved her arms there was some weird bulging around her collarbone.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

he has 14 on one side of his head and 88 on the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pellisworth posted:

he has 14 on one side of his head and 88 on the other

Oh I didn’t notice the 14, but for people living under a rock:

14 is code for the following 14 words:

“We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.”

88 is code for Heil Hitler.

• Locked thread