Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

i see the advertised rent is xfiggies/mo but what i really want to know is how much was it before?

renting sucked real bad before the advent of streeteasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Symbolic Butt posted:

I sent a resume to a place these days and HR seems to be fumbling around because nobody even knew there was an embedded linux position in the company

not sure what to think about this but maybe it's kind of a bad sign

seems like it's the worst sign

also if you can embed linux can you not work wherever you chose?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
how big an organization? information gets lost sometimes. send them the job description and tell them where you found it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Boiled Water posted:

seems like it's the worst sign

also if you can embed linux can you not work wherever you chose?

only if you're hot poo poo I guess, which I'm not. also the job description sounds very chill, like a big requirement point is "CAN YOU WRITE SHELL SCRIPTS" and I'm here like "birch please"

Gazpacho posted:

how big an organization? information gets lost sometimes. send them the job description and tell them where you found it

it's pretty big but I don't know, I sent them the job ad which is on their website and they still seem lost about it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Are we talking about in-house recruiters or HR? Often in big companies, they are not the same people.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
oh. they seem to be in-house recruiters

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

kinda weird that the recruiters don't know anything about the ad they themselves probably posted. maybe the guy who was in charge of that position got sacked or something lol.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

it's pretty big but I don't know, I sent them the job ad which is on their website and they still seem lost about it

h.r. is never made up of the sharpest knives in the drawer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

basically all good recruiters work freelance because that's where t he big bucks are. corporate recruiters are the bottom of the pack ones that cant cut it solo

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
12 applications and only two callbacks to show for it. Guess it's time to play the numbers game instead of the "would be cool to work for" game.

Anyone have good resources for the dumb trivia hour stuff hr loves to use for screens?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Phraggah posted:

12 applications and only two callbacks to show for it. Guess it's time to play the numbers game instead of the "would be cool to work for" game.

Anyone have good resources for the dumb trivia hour stuff hr loves to use for screens?

any callback is a positive, but you might be getting overlooked because your resume doesn't stand out much. perhaps take a critical look at it and figure out why that is, like it's entirely possible that your resume is just plain boring and you've worded your key points in a very blunt roundabout way. get a friend to read it who'll be able to give you a completely unbiased opinion.

also hr screens aren't tech screens, they are just filters for idiots who cannot converse with other human beings in a normal non-abrasive manner. and any tech screen is going to depend heavily on the hard requirements of the job description, which you should know very well if you're applying for that job anyway. if you're looking for general programming interview challenges, you want leetcode.com.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Phraggah posted:

2 out of 12 ain't that bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
99% or recruiters have no clue what they’re hiring for and just do a database search for keywords. so put all the right keywords in.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

99% or recruiters have no clue what they’re hiring for and just do a database search for keywords. so put all the right keywords in.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

do you have experience in
- APIs
- idea for algorithms

please indicate number of years and all relevant projects

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

basically all good recruiters work freelance because that's where t he big bucks are. corporate recruiters are the bottom of the pack ones that cant cut it solo
freelance recruiters are tremendous idiots

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Bloody posted:

LOL

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

The Leck posted:

i don't remember who posted them originally, but here they are, and they're great:

Rex Goliath. I bookmarked one of the posts with a version of those questions.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
NYC recently made asking about your salary history during the hiring process as illegal as asking how jewish you are

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

freelance recruiters are tremendous idiots

yup and yet still better than corporate

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

prisoner of waffles posted:

Rex Goliath. I bookmarked one of the posts with a version of those questions.

Aren't those in the thread OP?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gee thanks recruiting site for defaulting to Swedish with no options to change

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

It's me, the recruiter calling during work hours, asking about how your new job you've been at for less than 3 months is going (I did not get this job through a recruiter, also new job owns), and wanting to talk about "local opportunities".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm the cold calls generated by putting *NO LONGER LOOKING* at the front of my LinkedIn profile/title/thing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

NYC recently made asking about your salary history during the hiring process as illegal as asking how jewish you are

i'm sure this will be highly effective, like the prohibitions on inquiring about marital status

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Further lol: old boss just texted me specific questions about a system I worked on at old job that I can't possibly answer. I kind of feel bad for him because it's not his fault that the structure of the company made it so everything I wrote exists at a maximum bus factor.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 5, 2018

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's me, the recruiter calling during work hours, asking about how your new job you've been at for less than 3 months is going (I did not get this job through a recruiter, also new job owns), and wanting to talk about "local opportunities".

i think thats pretty common TBH, thats about when people figure out they made a terrible terrible mistake taking whatever job.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

The Management posted:

:banjo: :”Well, Mr Recruiter, I’d describe myself as a real go getter and a team player!”

:v: :”Great! We were looking for someone with experience in Go and Team Foundation Services!”

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
When I got hired at a game streaming startup they needed someone who was an expert on Ubuntu and on Wine.

I was found by an external recruiter who researched that I was Ubuntu's Wine maintainer. The first point of contact was direct message via Freenode IRC after asking me in the #winehq channel.

I've shared this story with quite a few people, and the consensus seems to be that this was the best external recruiter story you will ever hear in your lifetime.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ShadowHawk posted:

When I got hired at a game streaming startup they needed someone who was an expert on Ubuntu and on Wine.

I was found by an external recruiter who researched that I was Ubuntu's Wine maintainer. The first point of contact was direct message via Freenode IRC after asking me in the #winehq channel.

I've shared this story with quite a few people, and the consensus seems to be that this was the best external recruiter story you will ever hear in your lifetime.

I’m angry and sad since this is probably the best external recruiter in the entire world

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Did he dcc you the job position details?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

that's uh, quite an av you've got there, homercles

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm sure this will be highly effective, like the prohibitions on inquiring about marital status

there is a cottage industry of people that specifically go around and sue people for settlement money this way

or so i have heard, but it wouldn't surprise me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my work today was deep in the realm of interview question territory (memcpy with special alignment restrictions) and I spent way too long trying to do it. if it was an interview situation I might have died from shame.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its really jarring when you come across archs that require memory aligned access.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its really jarring when you come across archs that require memory aligned access.

doing it by “choice” in x86 is bad enough
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/coding-for-performance-data-alignment-and-structures

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Conducted a phone interview today because the other person was "out of town". We asked them questions and could hear them typing in the background. They even did the whole "uhh I know this, uhh...<20 seconds> oh yes that's the answer" routine. So we turned up the difficulty and circled back to the original questions and they couldn't answer them after just doing so 5 minutes earlier. Lol.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

I had one company request me to do a online coding exercise, answer 5 general pre-recorded video interview questions and then tell me they felt I did not suit the position.. twice for different departments/positions. I also got a chance to have an in-person interview to a job (in a third deparment I assume) I felt was tailored pretty much to my experience and aspirations, but the feedback was once again - you guessed it - that they felt I did not suit the position.

My takeaway from this was that the company does not have a unified HR strategy, departments don't even refer candidates to each other, which in turn probably means that every other process in the company is managed similarly - individual fiefdoms without a real grand strategy and the decisionmakers are best described as rear end-coverers with pavlovian drool reflexes to buzzwords but no in-depth understanding.

Another bullet dodged.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

nah, I deal with those every day. this was an oddball situation where the host had no alignment restrictions but it’s writing into remote memory and the bus can’t handle unaligned access. so now I have to clean up after a bunch of dummies there decided to cast their byte arrays into structures that “used to work” until the structure sizes changed and now everything is hosed.

qhat posted:

Conducted a phone interview today because the other person was "out of town". We asked them questions and could hear them typing in the background. They even did the whole "uhh I know this, uhh...<20 seconds> oh yes that's the answer" routine. So we turned up the difficulty and circled back to the original questions and they couldn't answer them after just doing so 5 minutes earlier. Lol.

did you call them out on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc posted:

interviewed a dude who was technically very proficient and we intentionally threw some easier vague beginner technical questions like "explain to me how x works" or "can you tell me the difference between x and y?", and the guy seemed visibly flustered as if that stuff was beneath him and later ended up leaving very quickly without waiting for info on when he'd be called back.

I think the dude implicitly failed the "can you, as a technical leader, explain things to junior members of the team" part of the interview without realizing it.

dude got mad and e-mailed HR with a terribly written quebecois insult e-mail before HR had even reached out to him. Here's my rough translation of it, with fewer typos than the original, but I kept some for the feeling of it:

quote:

hey there u lil loving nerd of loving pseudo success
i met your pseudo mentor rear end in a top hat and the weak-of-character fatty charlie
what a bunch of morons it reminds me why i work remote from montreal for the last 10 years lol
go gently caress your rear end in a top hat with an object u bunch of lovely vultures

so uh, our hard pass is validated

E: example for the liberal translation: the original text contained 'criss vs un objet da ltra de q' is what I guess is "crissez-vous un objet dans le trou d'cul". I don't know if the dude tried to bypass email filters but the literal equivalent would "gently caress u an object in ya rear end hal"

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 7, 2018