Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

if i'm not mistaken she also did the Bush administration's heavy lifting in the media to convince people that the Iraq War was a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

More importantly, she's someone who won a Pulitzer for convincing the nation that Monica Lewinsky was a naive horny gold digger valley girl with an eating disorder.

This is what always sticks out in my mind. She was arguing, years after the fact even, that Bill Clinton did nothing wrong.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this makes me feel old. she got famous in the 90s for her nyt columns about the lewinsky scandal (i think she even won the pulitzer).

She did indeed.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

if i'm not mistaken she also did the Bush administration's heavy lifting in the media to convince people that the Iraq War was a good idea

That was Judith Miller, another NYT writer.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I knew a guy who claimed he slept with her around 2008 when he was 22 or so. He had a thing for redheads so I believe it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

sponges posted:

Why wouldn’t they just fake the spit? What the gently caress is wrong with QT?

You don't want to make the Internet Movie Spit Database angry with fake spit

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This implied accusation that he tried to kill Uma Thurman to protect Weinstein is absolutely loving ridiculous. I mean it is poo poo-stupid on its face, and anybody who believes it is no different from people who think the Clintons killed Vince Foster and a whole slew of other people.

Jesus loving goddamn Christ.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't had a chance to read that yet, but is this all stuff from Uma's mouth or third parties? Last I checked she and Quentin were still bffs and potentially dating.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MrMojok posted:

This implied accusation that he tried to kill Uma Thurman to protect Weinstein is absolutely loving ridiculous. I mean it is poo poo-stupid on its face, and anybody who believes it is no different from people who think the Clintons killed Vince Foster and a whole slew of other people.

It's starting to sound like a great plot for a Tarantino movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MrMojok posted:

the article is kinda poorly written but I don't think Uma is trying to say that she thinks Quentin literally tried to kill her to protect Harvey. I think she's saying that she realized that Quentin is a part of the larger apparatus of Hollywood that uses women as tools rather than seeing them as people and, following her attack by Weinstein, she saw the crash and the way she was pushed into it as a sort of cosmic relation to that attack. Two different men, one with intention and one with ignorance, damaged her mentally and physically because they were empowered by a system that tells powerful men who make a lot of money that the feelings of others are secondary to their own wants and needs, whether they're sexual or artistic.

edit: the term they use in the article (and it has quotes around it so I assume it came from Thurman herself) is "dehumanization to the point of death". Not "they tried to murder me to keep me quiet".

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 4, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DC Murderverse posted:

the article is kinda poorly written but I don't think Uma is trying to say that she thinks Quentin literally tried to kill her to protect Harvey. I think she's saying that she realized that Quentin is a part of the larger apparatus of Hollywood that uses women as tools rather than seeing them as people and, following her attack by Weinstein, she saw the crash and the way she was pushed into it as a sort of cosmic relation to that attack. Two different men, one with intention and one with ignorance, damaged her mentally and physically because they were empowered by a system that tells powerful men who make a lot of money that the feelings of others are secondary to their own wants and needs, whether they're sexual or artistic.

edit: the term they use in the article (and it has quotes around it so I assume it came from Thurman herself) is "dehumanization to the point of death". Not "they tried to murder me to keep me quiet".

That's how I read it as well.

I like Tarantino's films, but goddamn, that's extremely lovely. Maybe unforgiveable, for someone who should obviously know better.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

DC Murderverse posted:

That's the problem with Dowd. I don't think Thurman is linking the two incidents, but Dowd appears to be. Uma's quote at the end sums it up: her story is about different kinds of mistreatment from two different men, one of whom she was close with. But Dowd, in between her godawful prose, tries to draw a line from the incident with Weinstein and then quickly to her falling out with Tarantino as though she wants the reader to infer something she can't come out and say. I would've liked more about how Thurman feels now looking back given that she was at Tarantino's engagement party last year, so clearly they have some sort of relationship even if they're not going to work together again.

I think what damns Tarantino more is that he continued to work with Weinstein after confronting him, though again the article does a poor job of explaining how much he knew. At least Ethan Hawke comes out of it well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

-Blackadder- posted:

There may be some practical reason for it. A lot of things that you'd think would be super easy to fake, end up being strangely difficult when you're actually on a movie set trying to do it in real life and have it not come off as cheesy on film.

On the other hand this is Tarantino we're talking about, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was just being a jackass.

Either way, the first rule on every set, no matter who the director is, should be that no movie, no matter how great, is worth someone being physically or psychologically harmed.

And that directors who don't listen to their own stunt professionals should be next in line to do the dangerous stunt that was so important it was going to make or break the entire movie.

There's the story about The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly where Leone was going to shoot the big bridge explosion scene, and he wanted Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach down near it when it went off. Clint asked Leone where he was going to be, and Leone pointed to the top of a faraway hill. Clint then told him "Then that's where we're going to be."

Also, on that film, Wallach was nearly hanged, set loose on a runaway horse, nearly decapitated by a train, and accidentally drank acid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

I haven't had a chance to read that yet, but is this all stuff from Uma's mouth or third parties? Last I checked she and Quentin were still bffs and potentially dating.

It's a direct primary-source interview with Thurman done over two nights.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Maureen Dowd's article is one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever seen. It's wildly inappropriate writing for such a serious topic, full of cheap tabloid gimmicks and hackneyed allusions. It's particularly bad because the verbatim quotes from Thurman show she is putting incredible care into her choice of words and how she is expressing herself, but the quotes are all but lost amongst all this poo poo:

quote:

She has been raped. She has been sexually assaulted. She has been manglend in hot steel. She has been betrayed and gaslighted by those she trusted.

And we’re not talking about her role as the blood-spattered bride in “Kill Bill.”

I can't read that in anything but the voice of an e! news presenter talking about someone's latest movie role. It's like the writing is smirking.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah that's the other thing, the writing is atrocious.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

she's always been a poor writer that's why i never understood (ignoring subject matter) how she became famous.

tho david brooks somehow still collects a paycheck for his inane drivel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's because op-ed writing is 100% incestuous, nepotistic trash, especially at the big papers.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

You don't want to make the Internet Movie Spit Database angry with fake spit

there is just no way I could spit on someone like that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can understand using real spit in a film. I can't understand or come up with an innocent reason as to why the performing actor was pushed aside so the director himself could spit on the actress.

And I wound up reading everything that was in quotations to negotiate my way around the padded drivel. Oh, hey, her five year-old showed up in PJs and eating a raw cucumber. How... relevant.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's because op-ed writing is 100% incestuous, nepotistic trash, especially at the big papers.

Seriously.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

But Dowd, in between her godawful prose, tries to draw a line from the incident with Weinstein and then quickly to her falling out with Tarantino as though she wants the reader to infer something she can't come out and say.

Yeah, the article either shouldn't have tried to draw that thread, or it should have let Uma Thurman do so in her own words. One does not need to "spice up" a story that's already about rape, cinema, and a near-death car accident. Dowd's been at this forty years, and she manages to make that babe.com writer look good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

sponges posted:

there is just no way I could spit on someone like that.

What if they were wearing a MAGA hat

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I just can't trust anything in that article unless it's a direct quote from Thurman. She doesn't outright draw a throughline from the spitting/choking takes to Tarantino making her perform an unsafe stunt, although Dowd clearly wants you to. It's possible Thurman only mentioned those as examples of other stuff she went through making the movie and Dowd seized on it to imply Tarantino had some kind of weird jerkoff power fantasy about choking and spitting on Uma?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What if they were wearing a MAGA hat

Yeah. Spit on those people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I just can't trust anything in that article unless it's a direct quote from Thurman. She doesn't outright draw a throughline from the spitting/choking takes to Tarantino making her perform an unsafe stunt, although Dowd clearly wants you to. It's possible Thurman only mentioned those as examples of other stuff she went through making the movie and Dowd seized on it to imply Tarantino had some kind of weird jerkoff power fantasy about choking and spitting on Uma?

The main problem here is the godawful writing. Aside from all the bad flourishes it's also totally unclear what Dowd is saying.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Basically Thurman is making a clear statement of what she went through, and Dowd is trying in a very writerly way to weave it all into a grander tapestry and that's kind of a bad idea in a case like this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love the Times and their op-eds reaaaaally piss me off. But I don't think the average person understands the clear line between news and opinion at a newspaper. Thurman shoulda gone to a real reporter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Basically Thurman is making a clear statement of what she went through, and Dowd is trying in a very writerly way to weave it all into a grander tapestry and that's kind of a bad idea in a case like this.

Yeah, there's a ton of "look how loving clever I am" construction and it's nauseating when dealing with a topic like an actress being coerced against her will into doing something that very easily could have loving killed her.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I love Tarintino movies but he can suck it for what he did to Thurman.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Das Boo posted:

I can understand using real spit in a film. I can't understand or come up with an innocent reason as to why the performing actor was pushed aside so the director himself could spit on the actress.

And I wound up reading everything that was in quotations to negotiate my way around the padded drivel. Oh, hey, her five year-old showed up in PJs and eating a raw cucumber. How... relevant.

Given the choice between being spit on my Michael Madsen and Quentin Tarantino, I'd probably go with Tarantino, too.

Who the gently caress knows where Michael Madsen's mouth has been.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The Cameo posted:

Given the choice between being spit on my Michael Madsen and Quentin Tarantino, I'd probably go with Tarantino, too.

Who the gently caress knows where Michael Madsen's mouth has been.

on the other hand, lord knows Tarantino may have had some toes in his mouth earlier that day. toes are gross.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I know that playing a creeper doesn't mean you are a creeper, but this just makes James Franco seem even ickier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4McHSYigW0

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Das Boo posted:

And I wound up reading everything that was in quotations to negotiate my way around the padded drivel.

Most people will see it as purposeless padding, but for me the main take away from the article is that Uma Thurman is a confirmed celebrity vaper.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SimonCat posted:

I know that playing a creeper doesn't mean you are a creeper, but this just makes James Franco seem even ickier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4McHSYigW0

What am I missing?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well he's obviously calling from inside the house.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/billiejdporter/status/955017781761757184

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You know the concept of "institutional memory" is long dead when VICE thinks they can pull this poo poo on people.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well they're really hoping people don't remember that their company was cofounded by an alt-right/mra airbag so what's one more thing to try and gloss over.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

porfiria posted:

I knew a guy who claimed he slept with her around 2008 when he was 22 or so. He had a thing for redheads so I believe it.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well they're really hoping people don't remember that their company was cofounded by an alt-right/mra airbag so what's one more thing to try and gloss over.

It's not like they have disavowed and gone in a totally different direction, it's still the same poo poo so I don't know who this fake woke business plays with.