Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A part of me is hoping they'll include a few 1-in-1000 animations for melee attacks, like Battlefield's secret reload animations. Just every so often once-in-a-blue-moon a Spider will do a flying karate kick, a Locust will spinkick like Sonic the Hedgehog, the Shadow Hawk will do a Shoryuken, or the Atlas will do the Undertaker's Chokeslam or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hah, thats really funny because I almost speculated that in my post that you quoted - but I have no idea how that kind of stuff works other than the basic concept so I didnt. So basically, that was my thought too - they knew it would take longer to develop than originally planned and decided to sign with a publisher to help back them financially to make a good game. Signing with Paradox The Publisher also gives them the strength of "Paradox The Publisher has published a ton of good games, so being published by them should help increase the game's visibility".

Paradox also clearly has faith in the project.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox is moving to snag BattleTech as a game of their own to capitalize on XCOM and more cynically to possibly move to acquire HBS itself.

That said they do like publishing Kickstarter games, they published Pillars of Eternity.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Aw poo poo. Now I want a Magicka+Battletech crossover.

Commander Vlad. Just your average everyday self insert Merc unit commander. Not a Vampire.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sky Shadowing posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox is moving to snag BattleTech as a game of their own to capitalize on XCOM and more cynically to possibly move to acquire HBS itself.

That said they do like publishing Kickstarter games, they published Pillars of Eternity.
I would love it if Paradox brought all the Battletech rights back under one roof, kicking Pirana to the curb in the process.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Has it been confirmed there will be no scenario editor? Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Typical Pubbie posted:

Has it been confirmed there will be no scenario editor? Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already.
Typical Pubbie :rolleyes:

Actually no it hasnt been asked a hundred times, but unfortunately it has been confirmed that there will be no scenario editor. Modding will be supported as in "it is possible to mod if you read and edit the code".

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clans had to vote for a new IlKhan, which required all bloodnamed individuals to return. Natasha Kerensky was the only living, RIP William Cameron member of the Dragoons to still have a bloodname.

None of the Dragoons comment on it but her absence is absolutely noted and remarked upon.

Was it ever detailed how the wolf's dragoons came up with surnames for the non-bloodnamed people?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PoptartsNinja posted:

A part of me is hoping they'll include a few 1-in-1000 animations for melee attacks, like Battlefield's secret reload animations. Just every so often once-in-a-blue-moon a Spider will do a flying karate kick, a Locust will spinkick like Sonic the Hedgehog, the Shadow Hawk will do a Shoryuken, or the Atlas will do the Undertaker's Chokeslam or something.

:stare: this would be amazing

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Was it ever detailed how the wolf's dragoons came up with surnames for the non-bloodnamed people?

Nope, most likely they just used a random name generator. They mostly refer to people by first name anyway, which is something Dechan Fraser remarks upon once or twice.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You'd think they could mentally differentiate between earned bloodnames and a cover story and just let them pick what their cover Surname was. It's not like anybody who knew what a bloodname was would mistakenly think they had earned the honors just because they had a last name, and it would be meaningless to the people outside Clan society.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

You'd think they could mentally differentiate between earned bloodnames and a cover story and just let them pick what their cover Surname was. It's not like anybody who knew what a bloodname was would mistakenly think they had earned the honors just because they had a last name, and it would be meaningless to the people outside Clan society.

Zaodai, "I don't know how they picked names" means pretty much exactly that. It wasn't important, for all I know they picked them on the fly if anyone from the Inner Sphere asked, or just went with "I don't give out my family name, just call me [firstname]"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying there doesn't need to really be mystery to it. People in Battletech are stupid by nature, but I'm sure even the proud warriors of the Clans understand the concept of a fake name without linking it to Bloodnames. "We have to fill out these forms, and it has a box for a first and last name. Put something in the boxes, keep your story consistent."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There are many places on Earth where people only have one name.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Taerkar posted:

Sure, but if you told those people that your family has more than one name they would still understand the concept without being confused.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Taerkar posted:

Obligatory:

quote:

as a public service, I’m going to list assumptions your systems probably make about names. All of these assumptions are wrong.
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

Taerkar
    Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zaodai posted:

Sure, but if you told those people that your family has more than one name they would still understand the concept without being confused.

Specifically I was referring to the lack of a surname or family name.

Also it's not like the Clans didn't know about such things. After all they knew about the founders and all and there were the scientist names and the like.

Azhais
    Feb 5, 2007
    Switchblade Switcharoo

Taerkar posted:

Hollywood, notably

Cyrano4747
    Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Note that the clans didn't develop as a society independent of the rest of the IS. They were originally normal dudes who GTFO after the Amaris Civil War, and as such would have had normal last names etc. This isn't a totally alien concept to them. Hell, as far as clan history goes giving up all last names except a handful of bloodnames (of famous dudes from the exodus era) that were awarded based on merit was kind of a thing and a whole part of them trying to basically colonize deep space by the seat of their pants with incredibly limited resources.

On that note, I've always thought an exodus-era game would be loving FUN to play,. You're rolling with bog standard early tech, plus the SLDF toys. Even the SLDF wasn't kitting out everything in XL engines and ER lasers - the super fancy poo poo was restricted for guards regiments and the like - so its' a really workable tech gradient. You've got insanely limited resources because the fleet is basically pulling a Battlestar Galactica and having to scavenge as they go, minimize waste, etc, and the politics of the exodus get bugfuck crazy. Mutinies, splintering into factions, the whole 9 yards.

PLUS the existing lore is pretty thin on the ground and painted in some pretty broad strokes so you don't need to worry too much about fitting things into existing timelines.

jng2058
    Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I know we lament its lack every time we get near the subject, but I dearly want a Stellaris/CK/EU style 4X in the Battletech universe. Start it up right after the Terran Alliance says "gently caress you guys, I'm going home" and withdraws to the 30ly bubble around Terra. Let me pick a planet to start on, have the various small polities form (not just the usual eleven but all the other ones that eventually got absorbed like the Chesteron Trade League) and let's go all the way to the invention of Battlemechs and beyond. By all means have various start dates with the big boys already in play. Age of War, Star League, First, Second, Third, Fourth Succession Wars, etc. But I'll be playing from the collapse of the Alliance and watching my Battletech universe mutate into something totally unrecognizable.

That's my hope and dream. :sigh:

Alchenar
    Apr 9, 2008

Yes I'm well aware of the difference between Paradox Interactive and PDX and I made that distinction in my post, it should not need to be pointed out that PDX's game development plans are directed by the business plan that Paradox Interactive comes up with, which even then is a bit of a stretch of the truth because these are people who work closely together in the same office.

HBS will have had conversations with Paradox Interactive about their future publishing relationship (If they want one!) and Paradox Interactive's advice will have been based off their own development experience and probably off their partnership with Obsidian. HBS could continue to make games of the size they've been making, but the undertone of everything they've ever hinted about their future plans is that they want to keep doing More and Bigger and the PDX development model segways nicely into that.

That's if they can get the Battletech license to make that sort of game from Microsoft. Which is a massive IF and is probably the killer.

Phrosphor
    Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

jng2058 posted:

I know we lament its lack every time we get near the subject, but I dearly want a Stellaris/CK/EU style 4X in the Battletech universe. Start it up right after the Terran Alliance says "gently caress you guys, I'm going home" and withdraws to the 30ly bubble around Terra. Let me pick a planet to start on, have the various small polities form (not just the usual eleven but all the other ones that eventually got absorbed like the Chesteron Trade League) and let's go all the way to the invention of Battlemechs and beyond. By all means have various start dates with the big boys already in play. Age of War, Star League, First, Second, Third, Fourth Succession Wars, etc. But I'll be playing from the collapse of the Alliance and watching my Battletech universe mutate into something totally unrecognizable.

That's my hope and dream. :sigh:

Mitch has mentioned several times that he wants to do this as well. Being the studio head of HBS, which now works for PD, this is probably more likely than ever.

My want is Wargame: Battletech

Major Spag
    Nov 4, 2012
    Pulling out my nerd hat but clan society places generic "Game of thrones" like surnames to everyone in the warrior class. Jaime Wolf was part of Clan Wolf so he got that last name since he never earned a blood name. Almost every clan did this so non-blood named warriors all had the some generic placeholder surname. Not everyone in the dragoons kept this though because how confusing and cover-blown-y would it be if a quarter of your team have the last name "Wolf" while others got "Cat", "Dog" or "Lizard-horse". So some people hit the RNG for a surname and I am guessing a few others pulled names from historical figures who never really achieved bloodnamed status.

Natasha Kerensky (as people have already mentioned) did earn her bloodname so she kept that. Other blood name warriors did too (I don't remember how many there were but it was super small).

The other bit is that Wolf's dragoons supposedly did some recon before entering the sphere if I remember correctly. So they probably were all "Oh poo poo, people use unique surnames? We better blend in. But I get Wolf because gently caress ya'll, this is my house!".

Amechwarrior
    Jan 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/HBS_thratchen/status/957444440171270144
    https://twitter.com/HBS_thratchen/status/959247120015409158

This is a pretty big departure from what we are used to. I can see the merit of that change allowing the gameplay to match the lore where 'Mechs are hundreds of years old yet we are stomping through whole Lances of enemy forces each mission. It also will soften the blow when you do lose a unit or even suffer a total wipe. On the other hand, it means you never really lose a 'Mech. If you have one on that borderline between retreat and suicide charge you might just game the system. For example, if you had a severely damaged 'Mech with no side torsos in melee/DFA range of an enemy. You could be more inclined to attack rather than retreat knowing that 'Mech and it's pilot (any torso loss in an injury) are a write off already and if you land that melee/DFA, it's a ton of concentrated damage in your favor. The quicker you kill the target the less damage your other units will take and you still got to pay that repair/medical bill anyway. If the cost difference between CT=1/50 repair and CT=0/50 is massive, this could prevent that. Too large of a price gouge will make it infeasible in the early game where you will need that kind of thing the most. I was thinking maybe CT recovery could be something unlocked once you upgraded the tech facilities in the Argo, but again that hurts players in the start where they would need that handhold the most. Maybe CT loss = total destruction could be something enabled for Ironman?

Cyrano4747
    Sep 25, 2006

I think you're over-estimating people's willingness to write off pilots. If anything torso damage being a very likely death for the pilot is going to make me play really goddamned conservatively.

Perestroika
    Apr 8, 2010

And depending on the frequency of your missions, the mech being out for a month may be a significant drawback as well. Imagine having to go on several brutal brawls in open terrain with a Catapult-shaped hole where your fire-support would usually be. Even in XCOM, where it's relatively easier to have replacements on hand, it can hurt quite a bit to have one of your dudes being out for just a couple of days when a really important missions drops in the meantime.

I'd imagine doing things that way also makes it easier for them to be a bit more deliberate when it comes to letting the player gain new mechs. If you don't lose mechs permanently, it's less likely for you to end up in a no-win state where you have no mechs to make money. That in turn means it's not necessary for the player to be always able to buy new mechs on demand and/or have a stockpile. It would help avoid the slightly silly situations you used to have in Mechwarrior, where one of your guys blowing up his Uziel was no big deal because you've got like three more of those in your arsenal and five more are currently available on the market. I like the approach where each mech is essentially a character of its own, and gaining a new one for your mercenary corp is a fairly momentous occasion.

Skoll
    Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
    Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think you're over-estimating people's willingness to write off pilots. If anything torso damage being a very likely death for the pilot is going to make me play really goddamned conservatively.

This. I usually name my main force in games like these after friends or goons and I'd rather not have a checklist of the dead.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 2, 2018

Sky Shadowing
    Feb 13, 2012

Losing pilots will be tough but I do like that they added manual ejections. Have a mission mostly one but your best pilot about to go down, just eject them, lose the Mech for the rest of that mission, and go on.

Psion
    Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Amechwarrior posted:

This is a pretty big departure from what we are used to. I can see the merit of that change allowing the gameplay to match the lore where 'Mechs are hundreds of years old yet we are stomping through whole Lances of enemy forces each mission. It also will soften the blow when you do lose a unit or even suffer a total wipe. On the other hand, it means you never really lose a 'Mech.

What's most interesting to me is the softening the blow part you mention - the repair cost making it so you have effectively lost the unit while you can still psychologically convince yourself it's still available if you sink enough time and c-bills into it. But tying probable pilot death into a CT loss means you're still losing something valuable permanently even if it's not a complete and total loss of everything.

I dunno, at first I was like "HEY" and now I'm thinking that's pretty legit. You could even extend that and have a status of fragile or something for mechs which would be much more likely to be totally destroyed if they lose the CT. Fragile status being given to a mech that's needed serious repairs a lot or has lost the CT in the past and you had to rush repairs ... I dunno, there's possibilities here.

Cyrano4747
    Sep 25, 2006

Sky Shadowing posted:

Losing pilots will be tough but I do like that they added manual ejections. Have a mission mostly one but your best pilot about to go down, just eject them, lose the Mech for the rest of that mission, and go on.

This is what's going to put an interesting wrinkle in it for me. If the mechs can survive even CT destruction then punching the pilot out is actually a viable choice.

Zaodai
    May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
    Your terms are accepted.

Do they only survive if you're in a situation where you get salvage, or do they just magic themselves back to the dropship? If you have to bug out because the heat's getting too hot and one of your mechs gets chopped in the fighting retreat to the dropship, is it still not dead? Or you get pushed from the field in general on a mission where it would be enemy territory.

Cyrano4747
    Sep 25, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Do they only survive if you're in a situation where you get salvage, or do they just magic themselves back to the dropship? If you have to bug out because the heat's getting too hot and one of your mechs gets chopped in the fighting retreat to the dropship, is it still not dead? Or you get pushed from the field in general on a mission where it would be enemy territory.

HOpefully they draw some distinction there because, yeah, that would be weird.

Honestly I can't really see them overlooking that, though.

PoptartsNinja
    May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Phrosphor posted:

Mitch has mentioned several times that he wants to do this as well. Being the studio head of HBS, which now works for PD, this is probably more likely than ever.

My want is Wargame: Battletech

It already names itself.

Star Lord

Major Spag posted:

Pulling out my nerd hat but clan society places generic "Game of thrones" like surnames to everyone in the warrior class.

The 'Wolf' 'Nova Cat' etc is typically reserved for freeborn adoptees. Jaime and Joshua Wolf were notable for being the only Freeborn warriors adopted by the Wolves in something like fifty years. Secret Trueborn Phelan Kell Wolf Ward Kell was Phelan Wolf after his adoption, but anyone raised in a real sibko is just a first name. Some Clans don't even honor their freeborn warriors this much (Horse, for example, isn't Horse Jade Falcon) and some Clans will append the name of the Clan they've taken a warrior from in battle but that's both rare and a political death sentence since it implies they're not a true member of the Clan that captured them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 2, 2018

Cyrano4747
    Sep 25, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

It already names itself.

Star Lord

:10bux: says that lands you in a copyright fight with Disney.

PoptartsNinja
    May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

:10bux: says that lands you in a copyright fight with Disney.

Precident is already set, there's a BattleTech: Star Lord novel

Marvel's Star-Lord is hyphenated. :shobon:

BattleTech: First Lord has a better ring to it though, come to think of it.

Sky Shadowing
    Feb 13, 2012

It'll be Successor Lords, I imagine.

Voyager I
    Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
    🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't dislike early Stackpole novels. His combat's alright and Blood of Kerensky has enough viewpoint characters that it never forces you to endure Kai's crippling depression for long.

Ranna Kerensky and Evantha Fetladral are legitimately good characters.

I've read a handful of BT novels mostly off your recommendations, and it seems like broadly speaking the best characters tend to be Yakuza and Clanners with a sense of humor. Mercs have also bee pretty cool, but I know that's in part because I've been specifically avoiding the many dreadful novels about an author's pet company. I wouldn't say it's a hard rule, but so far a book where someone cuts off their own pinkie finger has always ended up being worth reading.

I'm like two thirds of the way through Lethal Heritage right now. It's my first exposure to Kai Allard-Liao and goddamn is he the loving worst. Without spoiling anything, I can tell anyone else thinking about picking up the novel that he doesn't start interacting with the main plot until halfway through the book, whereupon one of the other main characters will give him a page-long introduction that tells you everything you need to know, so feel free to skip all of his solo chapters without worrying about missing anything important - I was pretty close to doing it myself and that was before I knew none of them mattered.

Like, really Stackpole, you want me to take a break from reading about Phelan Kell introducing us to the Clans from the perspective a bondsman in the custody of The Best Clanner so we can spend a whole goddamn chapter finding out that the guy who exists for the 14-year-olds in the readership to project onto has a hard time talking to girls?

Skoll
    Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
    Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

I've read a handful of BT novels mostly off your recommendations, and it seems like broadly speaking the best characters tend to be Yakuza and Clanners with a sense of humor. Mercs have also bee pretty cool, but I know that's in part because I've been specifically avoiding the many dreadful novels about an author's pet company. I wouldn't say it's a hard rule, but so far a book where someone cuts off their own pinkie finger has always ended up being worth reading.

I'm like two thirds of the way through Lethal Heritage right now. It's my first exposure to Kai Allard-Liao and goddamn is he the loving worst. Without spoiling anything, I can tell anyone else thinking about picking up the novel that he doesn't start interacting with the main plot until halfway through the book, whereupon one of the other main characters will give him a page-long introduction that tells you everything you need to know, so feel free to skip all of his solo chapters without worrying about missing anything important - I was pretty close to doing it myself and that was before I knew none of them mattered.

Like, really Stackpole, you want me to take a break from reading about Phelan Kell introducing us to the Clans from the perspective a bondsman in the custody of The Best Clanner so we can spend a whole goddamn chapter finding out that the guy who exists for the 14-year-olds in the readership to project onto has a hard time talking to girls?

Wait til you get to the poo poo with Deirdre Lear.

Taintrunner
    Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
    I ordered some minis and I'll have the joy of playing straight Battletech rear end Battletech, the board game, in a couple of weeks with some strangers I found on Meetup. I figure 4 of varying classes is a good set to bring? Atlas, Bushwacker, Roadrunner, Mad Cat Mk 3.

ditty bout my clitty
    May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
    Fun Shoe
    Hide the best one in case you get murdered

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
    Jun 30, 2014
    GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Taintrunner posted:

I ordered some minis and I'll have the joy of playing straight Battletech rear end Battletech, the board game, in a couple of weeks with some strangers I found on Meetup. I figure 4 of varying classes is a good set to bring? Atlas, Bushwacker, Roadrunner, Mad Cat Mk 3.

That's an eclectic mix of chassis right there. Be careful not to let your Roadrunner get caught out by itself, because it won't last very long if anything looks at it for more than a few seconds.