Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Black Pants posted:

I just wanna let everyone know about https://github.com/Izheil/Firefox-57-full-dark-theme-with-scrollbars

It's userChrome/userContent css files that make Firefox 'darker' (like with context menu backgrounds and such) and adds rather nicely working multirow tabs if you're someone like me who's been really missing Tab Mix Plus.

Thanks for this. I've got 72 open right now (it's weekend research, leave me alone) and the single row thing has had me cagey about upgrading from ESR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Freakazoid_ posted:

What is it about browser extensions that makes them lousy? Is it just a poorly supported field, or are there difficult technical limitations?

1) youtube serves video using a format called DASH that sends the browser independent audio and video streams. there are still single-container streams available but they're either phone formats or max 720p and don't have the newest codecs. youtube-dl can take the higher quality parts from DASH and stitch them together. (you also need to grab ffmpeg from here and stick it in the same directory as youtube-dl to do the stitching.)

2) youtube would prefer not to be a video downloading service, so they make it difficult for browsers to do so. it frequently changes its pages in ways that break extensions. a dedicated program doesn't have those problems and is quicker to update.

3) since all the nerds have switched to youtube-dl, that's what's active and the extensions have died off.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If anyone is looking for a browser extension that does essentially the same thing as youtube-dl for YouTube then YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (WebEx) is what you're looking for. I would use youtube-dl otherwise but having something with the same functionality that works in Firefox itself is too useful to pass up.

Granted it's only built to work on YouTube but that's about all that I'd need a video downloader for anyway.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Since we're talking about that, can you recommend a browser addon to capture Twitch videos?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Bieeardo posted:

Thanks for this. I've got 72 open right now (it's weekend research, leave me alone) and the single row thing has had me cagey about upgrading from ESR.

Yeah, getting multirow tabs, having a Mozilla-approved SALR extension, and finding a basic webex version of Download Statusbar finally has FF57 almost back to previous functionality, heh.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just because it's injecting content scripts into all HTTP(S) pages. I skimmed over the source and didn't see it doing anything strange.

Applebees posted:

The extension scans every page to find links, therefore it is accessing the data of every website you visit.

By looking at the functions used, the permissions system can say that the extension is reading data and injecting scripts. It cannot say what it is doing with that data or what the scripts do.
Thanks. To me "website data" means the data that site's caching on your PC like cookies, not the data actually displayed on the page. I would have called that "page content" or something. But I don't know enough about Firefox plugins to audit the code myself.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

New SALR Redux update for Firefox is live! Check for updates on Firefox's addons page or manually download it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/salr-redux/

Highlights:

quote:

• Adds imgur uploader
  • Flips a couple of default SALR preferences to be more in line with legacy Firefox SALR settings (no SOAP link, last post button in page navigator reloads the page)
  • Enables the quick reply emote parser to work successfully in Firefox.
  • Prevents the boogeyman from appearing in Firefox <=57 with third-party cookies disabled.
  • Fixes a typo in EmoteParser that led to cached emotes never being updated.
  • Updates emote parser to fetch over https to prevent man-in-the middle attacks.
  • Fixes two bugs in quick edit so it works on single post pages and fetches bookmark status from single post pages correctly.
  • Adds a check so we don't store missing/malformed emote data.

e: Please report any issues in the new SALR thread

astral fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 7, 2018

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Freakazoid_ posted:

What is it about browser extensions that makes them lousy? Is it just a poorly supported field, or are there difficult technical limitations?

In addition to what others have said, it can also grab the thumbnail, description and other metadata and it works with tons of streaming sites (such as SoundCloud and Vimeo) in addition to YouTube.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 7, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RZApublican posted:

If anyone is looking for a browser extension that does essentially the same thing as youtube-dl for YouTube then YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (WebEx) is what you're looking for. I would use youtube-dl otherwise but having something with the same functionality that works in Firefox itself is too useful to pass up.

Granted it's only built to work on YouTube but that's about all that I'd need a video downloader for anyway.
For a middle option, there's a youtube-dl GUI that I love. Slightly easier and with all the power.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ Ooh, that looks handy. Gonna give it a try.

Measly Twerp posted:

Something Awful Formatting Improvements is now available on addons.mozilla.org. Be sure to remove the old one first.

I also wrote a propper readme for it:

Thanks for this, but one request - is it possible to have images revert to timg when in quotes?

I love not having to click every image in a post to see it, but goons love quoting full posts which can makes things get ridiculous pretty quickly if a bunch of people in a row do it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Measly Twerp posted:

Something Awful Formatting Improvements is now available on addons.mozilla.org. Be sure to remove the old one first.
There are circumstances under which the aspect ratio of an image isn't respected when using Limit media height (all other options off).

I've noticed it on a couple of vertical phone screenshots. They just got squashed. Somewhere in the recent pages of the Android thread in IYG.

Click to zoom has some bewildering behavior where it keeps injecting a new instance of the image into the page on each zoom in/out action. This may have been on a tab that hadn't been refreshed between not having the addon installed and installing it, I don't know for sure. e: I'm using some custom CSS for SA in Stylus, that also may have something to do with it if otherwise these pictures have a hidden attribute set or something.

What with, as mentioned above, timg also being replaced with img in quotes getting old pretty fast, I've now stopped using SAFI.

I appreciate the effort though and I hope the information helps you track down some (edge case?) bugs.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 9, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

There are circumstances under which the aspect ratio of an image isn't respected when using Limit media height (all other options off).

I've noticed it on a couple of vertical phone screenshots. They just got squashed. Somewhere in the recent pages of the Android thread in IYG.[/img]
That's odd, what was the general shape/size of these images?

Flipperwaldt posted:

Click to zoom has some bewildering behavior where it keeps injecting a new instance of the image into the page on each zoom in/out action. This may have been on a tab that hadn't been refreshed between not having the addon installed and installing it, I don't know for sure. e: I'm using some custom CSS for SA in Stylus, that also may have something to do with it if otherwise these pictures have a hidden attribute set or something.
Dumb question, but why is that bewildering? Was it behaving oddly?

Flipperwaldt posted:

What with, as mentioned above, timg also being replaced with img in quotes getting old pretty fast, I've now stopped using SAFI.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Thanks for this, but one request - is it possible to have images revert to timg when in quotes?

I love not having to click every image in a post to see it, but goons love quoting full posts which can makes things get ridiculous pretty quickly if a bunch of people in a row do it.
It would be possible to do, would reducing the max-width and height to 33% suffice? And combine that with the zoom feature. I could also make it more configurable than just 33%.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Measly Twerp posted:

That's odd, what was the general shape/size of these images?
Narrow and tall. Example: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=480046379&forumid=192
The quoted image was ok, the posted image squashed vertically.

Measly Twerp posted:

Dumb question, but why is that bewildering? Was it behaving oddly?
Click on image, a pop-out with the zoomed image appears (normal) AND a new version of the image is embedded in the original page either next to the original image I wanted to zoom in on or at the bottom of the page (bewildering). Go out of zoom mode, the pop out disappears (normal), and another, additional, instance of the same image is now embedded in the original page (bewildering). The image appears on the page three times now and you can keep adding more by keeping zooming in and out on it. Alternatingly a full size and a timg'd version if the version was timg'd originally, despite the setting to not ever show images in timg'd form set to on. I turned the zoom thing off after that. Don't bother spending to much time fixing it on my account though if you can't recreate this easily. I was just looking at the feature out of curiosity, not real interest.

Measly Twerp posted:

It would be possible to do, would reducing the max-width and height to 33% suffice? And combine that with the zoom feature. I could also make it more configurable than just 33%.
I'm ok with timgs in quotes just being left alone since they are assumed to be seen earlier. My annoyance with timg is exclusively with people manually adding them in new posts. gently caress, if you can force images in quotes to be timg'd to prevent people intentionally removing the attribute there, I'd welcome that as well. I'm not even a customer for non timg'd images being touched at all either, since that is a thing SALR can do now. So maybe apart from the squashed images, which looks like an honest to god bug, don't pay too much mind to what I'm saying. I'm not your target audience.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Measly Twerp posted:

Making a range of options would be good. I don't restrict long images by default, so a flat 33% wouldn't work too well for me.

However:

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm ok with timgs in quotes just being left alone since they are assumed to be seen earlier. My annoyance with timg is exclusively with people manually adding them in new posts. gently caress, if you can force images in quotes to be timg'd to prevent people intentionally removing the attribute there, I'd welcome that as well.

This would also be really good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to take a course on udemy, and I don't see any video on 57.0.4 on my desktop, but I can still hear audio. My work laptop is also running a 57+ version of Firefox with the same extensions (as far as I remember; I'm at home now) but I could see video just fine. What might be the problem?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What happens if you disable GPU acceleration?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tesseraction posted:

What happens if you disable GPU acceleration?

Seems to be no different. I also forgot to mention that sometimes gifv's (at least from imgur) look like this on SA:

This thing is just blank if I go to the direct imgur link, either.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cross-posting this from the SALR Redux thread:
:siren: Firefox SALR Redux v2.1.8.13a5 is out on addons.mozilla.org!

Notes:

quote:

• Fixed settings backup button injecting some junk from a prototype.

• YOU CAN NOW MIGRATE YOUR NOTES/HIDDEN AVATARS FROM LEGACY FIREFOX SALR (even if you have already updated your Firefox to 57+)!
    First, make sure you're using at least this version (2.1.8.13a5) of SALR Redux for the best experience (older versions will still work, but the settings output button adds in some junk).
    Then, visit the SALR Migration Station and follow its instructions:
    https://salr-firefox.github.io/migrationstation/
Note: Legacy SALR Migration Station, like the Firefox SALR Redux, is considered early alpha quality. It works, but there's currently zero error checking.

Note 2: If you're still using 52ESR, and if you don't mind waiting a bit longer, a more personalized migration will be possible directly within the addon.

astral fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 14, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sweet! The migration was a success, thank you!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hooah posted:

Seems to be no different. I also forgot to mention that sometimes gifv's (at least from imgur) look like this on SA:

Yikes, that kind of screen tearing I've seen when the CPU is maxed out on a machine with a weak graphics card. Not really sure what to suggest - I'm guessing your home desktop isn't a rustbucket from 2009.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nah, it's one I put together. Older (2011-ish), but mid-range then. I'll be building a new one here soon, though, so I can see if it happens there.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

hooah posted:

For one thing, that looked blank for everyone because you linked to the page, not the image :)

Have you tried creating a new profile? It doesn't sound like a profile issue, but it's worth a try. Instructions are linked in the OP, #7.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Firefox on OSX uses the native notification system which no longer supports actionable notifications (or at least neither Chrome nor Firefox's notifications are allowed to). This makes it impossible for me to do anything with PushBullet's actionable notifications. This is making me hoppin' mad because I'm paying for PushBullet Pro but can't actually take advantage of what I'm paying for :argh:

On Chrome there was a flag to revert to using Chrome's own notifications which displayed buttons for the various actions. Does Firefox have a similar option?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Knormal posted:

For one thing, that looked blank for everyone because you linked to the page, not the image :)

Have you tried creating a new profile? It doesn't sound like a profile issue, but it's worth a try. Instructions are linked in the OP, #7.

The gifv thing still happens with a new profile, but the video problem doesn't.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Sorry if it's a common problem, but I didn't find anything on a cursory Google search. I just switched to Quantum 57.0.4 and despite disabling Tracking Protection and UBO, I still can't get embedded tweets to show up. The web inspector says "SecurityError: The operation is insecure." I've tried setting security.mixed_content.block_active_content to false but it still happens.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
There was an issue recently with videos in embedded tweets not playing. They've now started showing up again all on their own, without me doing a single thing.

Which is nice.

But now some videos, especially linked tumblr videos are auto playing (very loudly) as soon as a page loads instead of waiting to be clicked.

This is not so nice.

Here's an example from the meme thread.

EDIT: Oops, language warning for the link, too. Sorry.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Odd, that one doesn't autoplay for me. (Also I hadn't heard of the Eating Tide Pods meme before that. What the gently caress, people.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

Odd, that one doesn't autoplay for me. (Also I hadn't heard of the Eating Tide Pods meme before that. What the gently caress, people.)

Doesn't autoplay for me, either. Perhaps an extension is causing it?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

When tracking protection is turned on, is there a way to see what was blocked on a particular page?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

The gifv thing still happens with a new profile, but the video problem doesn't.

And now the video problem stopped happening on my normal profile. :shrug:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Can anyone explain how the Firefox search suggestions in the search box are supposed to work since when you select another search engine, it executes the search without giving suggestions? This is nothing to do with Firefox 57, it's been this way since they reversed the way the search box works. Does my tits in.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The suggestions I see (using duckduckgo) seem to be prior searches I've made through the box.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Yeah that's just search history.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I used to hate the new search engine in Firefox, but I'm growing to like it. I don't use suggestions however most of the time so your mileage may vary.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

58 is out now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lum posted:

58 is out now.

From the patch notes:

quote:

Copy and paste screenshots directly to your clipboard

Aww yeah :getin:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Heads up if you use 1Password with Dev Edition/Nightly, somebody fat fingered the build id or some such value, which in turn broke 1password’s checks. So that’s why that’s not gonna be working for a few days

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Extensions in Firefox 59

quote:

Tab hiding is back! Since the deprecation of the legacy extension architecture, one of the most requested features has been the ability to hide tabs with the WebExtensions API. It was a key element of some very popular legacy add-ons that provided the ability to manage tab groups. Firefox 59 brings this capability back in an initial, experimental form.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I've just pushed a new release of SAFI, keep in mind this extension is experimental, however I've rewritten it from scratch today in order to create something that should address the issues with thumbnail images.

The extension no longer allows the forums default thumbnail image behaviour, instead it has been replaced with click to zoom and two new preferences: Limit Quoted Image Height and Limit Quoted Image Width. You can use these to get the desired affect.

Any image or video that is not being shown at it's full resolution will allow you to click on it to bring up a zoomed in version above the page contents. I prefer this to how the forum thumbnail images work as it lets me scroll very long images without loosing my place on the forum. But I'm interested to know what others think of this function.

Additionally the extension also takes over loading twitter statuses from the forums, this was done to prevent the twitter embeds from breaking page bookmarks (eg. #lastpost) because they load after the browser has already scrolled to the desired location. Instead, SAFI now scrolls once all of the images, videos and tweets have loaded. Any scrolling you do before then will get interrupted.

So yeah, expect the update very soon, don't forget to refresh your Something Awful pages, although that should not be necessary in the future, and apologies in advance if I broke something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Edit: Ignore me. It was

#sidebar-header {
visibility: collapse;
}

Commented it out and selected TST in the sidebar header and all is well with the world.

I'm using Tree Style Tabs and have the native tab bar hidden. I accidentally pressed ctrl + b and it overwrote the TST sidebar with the bookmark bar. I can't figure out how to get it back. Help. Ctrl + b and Ctrl + h just open up and close the various sidebars, something turned off the TST sidebar.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 4, 2018