Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
CM Punk might win his 2nd fight if it's against an actual bum this time and not Mickey Gall type dude. Punk has now had like 3 years of training, he could beat up a UFC gym goer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
drat just thought about gall's last fight where he lost convincingly while cheating non stop

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Bubba Smith posted:

CM Punk might win his 2nd fight if it's against an actual bum this time and not Mickey Gall type dude. Punk has now had like 3 years of training, he could beat up a UFC gym goer.

I would watch CM Punk vs. Ariel Helwani

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gay Horney posted:

Conor posted a picture of him beating up max which is hosed up to do to a hurt fighter imo. What happened to that handsome guy who beat up Hendricks

Costa decided to yell about Fallon Fox, who hasn't been relevant for like four years, for some random reason :psyduck:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

drat just thought about gall's last fight where he lost convincingly while cheating non stop

yeah lol

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Is there a GDT to post about Valentina because goddamn that was brutal

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848265&pagenumber=6#lastpost

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks friend

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Machida looked the same as ever. Which means he should retire.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Lol Dana called out Yamasaki on Instagram again

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

For once I agree with Dana

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Memento isn't going to be able to put up a February thread, so if anybody was holding off making one because they thought he would be, please go ahead and post.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Lol Dana called out Yamasaki on Instagram again

thank god he's going after the real person responsible for this travesty, and not whatever idiot thought the #1 ranked bantamweight should make her divisional debut against someone who's 8 opponents are 38-44 on the brazilian z-leagues was a good idea

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Sean Shelby is at fault as well but once the fight was made and that cage door shut that poo poo was all on Yamasaki

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The corner not pulling her out is pretty damning too. Not a good look for many people involved, really.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I feel like if your highlight reel contains only fights where you have sponsors on your shorts then you're probably past your prime.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I would post the new thread but only if it was on a google share and David Carmichael already made it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God what did Yamasaki do (or not do, as seems more likely) now?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God what did Yamasaki do (or not do, as seems more likely) now?

He let someone hit their opponent 203 times against the opponent's 3 times, mostly on the ground with no realistic way to defend.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
position before extinction, thats just jiu jitsu 101, dont see the problem

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

He let someone hit their opponent 203 times against the opponent's 3 times, mostly on the ground with no realistic way to defend.

Jesus Christ :gonk:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

one of the rare cases where the actual numbers were worse: 217 to 1.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ :stonk:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Triticum Guzzler posted:

position before extinction, thats just jiu jitsu 101, dont see the problem

I mentioned bjj being redundant now mma has figured it out in the martial arts thread and people thought I was baiting.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That fight was super hard to watch and I'm really glad my wife went to bed before it came on, I'm trying to ease her into liking this r-worded sport and that was just unpleasant

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ :stonk:

After enduring a completely unnecessary, one-sided beating, Priscilla also had to tap three times before Yamasaki noticed

We're way past meme, he gotta go

LobsterMobster posted:

thank god he's going after the real person responsible for this travesty, and not whatever idiot thought the #1 ranked bantamweight should make her divisional debut against someone who's 8 opponents are 38-44 on the brazilian z-leagues was a good idea

yeah that too

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 4, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Memento isn't going to be able to put up a February thread, so if anybody was holding off making one because they thought he would be, please go ahead and post.

On it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848300&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post480958962

It's sloppy and I'll update the links later.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I mentioned bjj being redundant now mma has figured it out in the martial arts thread and people thought I was baiting.

I can't actually believe I'm going to entertain this comment.

Jiu Jitsu is as much an important part of MMA as wrestling, boxing, etc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Being a pure bjj practitioner with nothing else to support you won't work, though, at the highest levels. BJJ on it's own isn't going to get it done for you at the top, but it's loving dumb to think that submission grappling doesn't help you in combat sports.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Soothing Vapors posted:

That fight was super hard to watch and I'm really glad my wife went to bed before it came on, I'm trying to ease her into liking this r-worded sport and that was just unpleasant

Yeah my mom watched the first round with me, looked disappointedly at me and walked away saying 'I don't understand why this is a sport'.

Thank God she wasn't around for the second.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

willie_dee posted:

That's so loving dumb.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah it's easy to look at raw submission numbers going down over the last two decades and go BJJ IS DONE but the threat of submissions and position game motivates so much of what happens on the ground still.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Also 5 minute rounds and near immediate standups do to "inactivity" on the ground do no favors for subs

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

I can't actually believe I'm going to entertain this comment.

Jiu Jitsu is as much an important part of MMA as wrestling, boxing, etc

Completely agree, but just relying on bjj no longer works, hence the comment in the other thread about bjj tournaments now.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Completely agree, but just relying on bjj no longer works, hence the comment in the other thread about bjj tournaments now.

But you can't singularly rely on any one discipline in MMA.

And I'm not gonna derail this thread to argue why bjj tournaments aren't boring but most of it has to do with a points system that can be gamed. Hard to argue that EBI Rules tournaments are not entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Agreed. The ref should have stopped maia/nelson much earlier, and nelson shouldh ave been immediately cut from the ufc

• Locked thread