Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

muscles like this! posted:

New unconfirmed reports are saying that an additional reason Fuller and Green left American Gods was their butting heads with Neil Gaiman over the direction the series was headed. Probably true because Gaiman has already said there was a fight about the first episode where Fuller wanted Shadow to have sex with Laura's friend after the funeral instead of turning her down. With Gaiman having to put his foot down saying that it was absolutely against Shadow's character to do that.

Thing is...it's another medium. Like it's nice that they include Gaiman's input at all, but you do what works right for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just using that example, Gaiman was 100% right and his change made the scene much better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 4, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is the Fargo tv series compared to the movie? I like the movie a lot but I haven't seen the tv series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

How is the Fargo tv series compared to the movie? I like the movie a lot but I haven't seen the tv series.

I’ve only seen the first two seasons but I enjoyed them quite a bit. The first season is probably closest to the film in tone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

They don't really have much to actually do with each other. Mostly the only connection is that the TV series takes place is the world of the movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

They don't really have much to actually do with each other. Mostly the only connection is that the TV series takes place is the world of the movie.

Plus the movie and TV shows are all based on true stories, just the names are changed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Medullah posted:

Plus the movie and TV shows are all based on true stories, just the names are changed.

Nah they are fake.

I really enjoyed season 1 but season 2 had a ton of boring monologues.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Rocksicles posted:

SAVOR IT!

How do you enjoy Bunker? The world's second angriest man, who works for the world's angriest man.

He just showed up but I love him already.

Also drat they literally made an Assault on Precinct 13 episode. This show is criminally underrated.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Nah they are fake.

I really enjoyed season 1 but season 2 had a ton of boring monologues.

:thejoke:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There were people in the old Fargo threads that really thought it was based on real people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Altered Carbon is cool and good go watch it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I actually enjoy the Fargo series as a whole even more than the movie, especially Season 1, which is drat near perfect. 2 was still really good, and 3 had great moments but couldn't match the greatness of 1 and 2. If you like the movie or the Coen Brothers' work in general (since the Fargo series pays homage to all their movies with subtle references), you must watch it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Season 3 was alright, but Carrie Coon is amazing so whatever the actual rating of the series is it gets an extra 10% because of her.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popelmon posted:

He just showed up but I love him already.

Also drat they literally made an Assault on Precinct 13 episode. This show is criminally underrated.

My rule of thumb is anyone who doesn't like this show is a poser.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Banshee is probably the only show to ever make me feel sympathy for a white suprematist.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Rhyno posted:

Banshee is probably the only show to ever make me feel sympathy for a white suprematist.

Also the only show that actually pulls off a savage native American as the bad guy.

God drat season 3 belongs in the pantheon of all-time great TV. This is not just "great for what it wants to be", this is straight up amazing.

Edit: And now there is this really cool heist sequence. Why is this so good?

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 4, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still think Geno Segars should voice Darkseid in Justice League.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
season 3 of TV shows is I guess the new analog to the endless "Sophomore slump" music articles

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Popelmon posted:

Also the only show that actually pulls off a savage native American as the bad guy.

God drat season 3 belongs in the pantheon of all-time great TV. This is not just "great for what it wants to be", this is straight up amazing.

Just to prepare you for what comes next:

Season 4 is a disappointment for a few reasons: Chief among them, they unwisely try to do their spin on a serial killer plot, which doesn't leave a lot of room for Hood to go buck-wild on some fools. Then you have the production's move to Pennsylvania proper being really jarring, Greg Yaitanes leaving to work on Quarry (which you might want to try out after this), and if you’re not a fan of Eliza Dushku, you're more likely to let out a big giant "well, poo poo" at some point.

HAVING SAID THAT...the finale is perfect, and actually got me a little emotional. Most if not all the surviving characters get fantastic sendoffs. It's just a shame you have to go through seven episodes of whatever to get there.

BTW, you know there are post-credit scenes in almost every episode, right? Don't worry about going back if you missed them, just remember that for the last episode in particular if you want a nice little button for the show itself.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

DivisionPost posted:

Eliza Dushku

I read so many times that season 4 sucks that I was almost ready to ditch it entirely but finding out that Dushku is on S4 makes me actually look forward to it.

DivisionPost posted:

BTW, you know there are post-credit scenes in almost every episode, right? Don't worry about going back if you missed them, just remember that for the last episode in particular if you want a nice little button for the show itself.

It took me a long time to notice this :downs:

By the way, Banshee probably has the biggest gap between the quality of the show and the quality of the intro. Or in other words: the intro is loving garbage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Popelmon posted:

I read so many times that season 4 sucks that I was almost ready to ditch it entirely but finding out that Dushku is on S4 makes me actually look forward to it.

By the way, Banshee probably has the biggest gap between the quality of the show and the quality of the intro. Or in other words: the intro is loving garbage.

You motherfucker. These are fighting words :colbert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popelmon posted:

. Or in other words: the intro is loving garbage.

Break yo'self fool!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There was a dude in BSS who thought the Luke Cage intro was "poo poo" so I guess anything goes in this crazy world of blind deaf fools who can somehow post.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

I still think Geno Segars should voice Darkseid in Justice League.

poo poo, just put the goddamned helmet thing on him. Also he's in Brawl in Cell Block 99 and awesome as always.

Dushku is actually quite good in season 4 despite the season being slower paced. I should really start a rewatch.

Edit: I've been home for a lot of Grey's Anatomy rewatching and Justin Chambers is awesome but that handsome motherfucker is 47 and still looks 30 and I hate him for this. Dude can fuckin sing too.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 4, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Popelmon posted:

Or in other words: the intro is loving garbage.

What the gently caress is this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Looks like a probation.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

X-O posted:

I try not to backseat mod but gently caress 'em up, DP

edit: My feelings on Banshee: I wish Job were my girlfriend and boyfriend

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrVenkman posted:

Thing is...it's another medium. Like it's nice that they include Gaiman's input at all, but you do what works right for the show.

That wouldn't have worked right at all. That would have been a terrible loving idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I actually enjoy the Fargo series as a whole even more than the movie, especially Season 1, which is drat near perfect. 2 was still really good, and 3 had great moments but couldn't match the greatness of 1 and 2. If you like the movie or the Coen Brothers' work in general (since the Fargo series pays homage to all their movies with subtle references), you must watch it.

I like most Coen Brothers movies, though I haven't seen all of them.

They've done a couple of adaptations before. You know what I would love to see the Coen Brothers adapting either as a tv show or a movie? Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries. I reckon that would be in their wheelhouse.

DivisionPost posted:

Season 4 is a disappointment for a few reasons: Chief among them, they unwisely try to do their spin on a serial killer plot, which doesn't leave a lot of room for Hood to go buck-wild on some fools. Then you have the production's move to Pennsylvania proper being really jarring, Greg Yaitanes leaving to work on Quarry (which you might want to try out after this), and if you’re not a fan of Eliza Dushku, you're more likely to let out a big giant "well, poo poo" at some point.

Is that Quarry the Max Allan Collins character?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
You guys really like this intro? The music is fine but it looks like something that someone's 16 year old nephew cobbled together in an afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGCIbK4LSg

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Popelmon posted:

You guys really like this intro? The music is fine but it looks like something that someone's 16 year old nephew cobbled together in an afternoon.

It's mood setting music, man. You know after that rolls, some poo poo is about to go down.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that Quarry the Max Allan Collins character?

Mmm hmm.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Popelmon posted:

I really love the way it changes every episode (though paying too close attention completely spoils at least one character death). It's cheap, sure, but in exchange for being modular and flexible.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Popelmon posted:

How long did it take you to notice the intro changes? That takes most people a bit.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Five episodes into Banshee, and we have already been fast-forwarding through the intros. Now we need to start paying attention and looking for the changes, like Game of Thrones.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also that music is loving rad as hell

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Popelmon posted:

Wow. That really is amateur-hour. I could definitely do that in a day, and I'm certainly not a professional motion graphics artist.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Lost in the nine million hours of Super Bowl pregame, Jack McCoy returns to Law and Order to prosecute ADA Barba on Wednesday. I thought it would have been for some of the shady stuff Barba's done in the past, but he apparently does something new.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I haven't seen everything on there, Devilman Crybaby sure is the horniest Netflix show I've ever watched and that's just in the first two episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

While I haven't seen everything on there, Devilman Crybaby sure is the horniest Netflix show I've ever watched and that's just in the first two episodes.

If that doesn’t sell it I don’t know.