Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I make a dedicated stop for just myself near the main base. I also build small forks near all the ore mining patches.

On my personal train, I have a main stop, and I set another stop to be wherever I need it.

The stop condition you can leave as anything that will never be true, and the train will idle there.

Then you can give it an order to wait for you at an outpost, and it will auto pilot over there. It's the best way to move out when an outpost is under attack, or just to shuttle you around the map.

You can give a train orders to go to a stop at any time from the map if you have a radar there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do you use the train stop if you're driving manually?

You don't, really, but what you can do is get close to the train stop, then open the train, set the next destination to the train stop, set the wait condition to "time passed" and whatever the default is, then flick on automatic. It'll drive and park itself.

Renaming train stops helps a ton too.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here's one, then.

The leftmost pump is working, as you can see by the full tanks. The right pump is not working, even though it's in exactly the same position relative to the car. I've moved that pump up and down the car, but it never extends and starts pumping.

I figured out this morning why I thought assemblers didn't rotate. It's because rotating them when you're holding them has no visible effect, and as far as I could see, no effect on where the inputs wound up when you placed them. I didn't realize that if you rotated them on the ground, you could change the input position. I also didn't know about the all-blesséd Alt mode, which lets me see exactly what can be fitted into what.
Inserters (and everything else) can definitely be rotated while in your hand. Pressing R should turn them 90 degrees.

quote:

Trains aren't designed to be used for cargo while manually driven. Manual mode is just an alternative means of movement compared to a car or walking. If you're transporting cargo or fluids by train, you need to automate it using train stops. This is another example of a thing like looping that technically you can do if you want, but it will create a neverending nightmare of tedium if you actually try to base the game around it because it's not designed for it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Manual mode for trains basically exists so you can unfuck your trains if you cause deadlock with badly designed rail and signals. You shouldn't be using it for general travel in manual mode; it's much better to just put stops at all the places you want to go. I even have a dedicated locomotive pair just for shuttling my lazy rear end around on my maps.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gadzuko posted:

Inserters (and everything else) can definitely be rotated while in your hand. Pressing R should turn them 90 degrees.

Trains aren't designed to be used for cargo while manually driven. Manual mode is just an alternative means of movement compared to a car or walking. If you're transporting cargo or fluids by train, you need to automate it using train stops. This is another example of a thing like looping that technically you can do if you want, but it will create a neverending nightmare of tedium if you actually try to base the game around it because it's not designed for it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I figured out this morning why I thought assemblers didn't rotate. It's because rotating them when you're holding them has no visible effect,
The key issue here is that, when you're holding them, inserters look different if you rotate them 90 degrees. Assemblers, when you're holding them, look exactly the same. As far as you can see, the rotation has no effect.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The key issue here is that, when you're holding them, inserters look different if you rotate them 90 degrees. Assemblers, when you're holding them, look exactly the same. As far as you can see, the rotation has no effect.

Assembler rotation only matters when the recipe uses fluids and then they will have a visible pipe connection that will rotate with key R.
Rotation does not matter for any production building that doesn't use fluids.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone have a relatively simple design for a triggered shift register? I'm looking to hold <anything> until a specific trigger signal comes in, and then move it along to the next register, repeat as needed.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Manual mode for trains basically exists so you can unfuck your trains when you cause deadlock with normally designed rail and signals.

Fixed that for you.

I have to fix several deadlocks every game because I don't use blueprints for junctions.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
So... Badly designed.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

"Designed" is a pretty generous term.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

LLSix posted:

Fixed that for you.

I have to fix several deadlocks every game because I don't use blueprints for junctions.

The best advice to anyone who gets these deadlocks is to try to solve it by only placing/removing signals. If you get in a train and just move it manually to clear the blockage, the lock will just happen again.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

LLSix posted:

Fixed that for you.

Hah, yeah. I only ever use blueprints for junctions. I don't really understand trains very well. :shobon:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I figured out this morning why I thought assemblers didn't rotate. It's because rotating them when you're holding them has no visible effect, and as far as I could see, no effect on where the inputs wound up when you placed them. I didn't realize that if you rotated them on the ground, you could change the input position. I also didn't know about the all-blesséd Alt mode, which lets me see exactly what can be fitted into what.

Assemblers don't show any indication of rotation because there's no point to rotating them. They don't have an input direction or an output direction. It's like chests - you just take things in and out with inserters, direction doesn't matter.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, whoops, I misread that. Yeah, assemblers will never show a pipe connection in your hand so there's no visible indicator. I sometimes wish they just automagically grew a pipe connection when you hooked a pipe into them and you didn't have to worry about rotations at all, but that's got its own problems.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Main Paineframe posted:

Assemblers don't show any indication of rotation because there's no point to rotating them. They don't have an input direction or an output direction. It's like chests - you just take things in and out with inserters, direction doesn't matter.

wrong, sucker! They have either an input or output direction when dealing with barreling goods, which you probably didn't know about because its uses are really niche and often just stopgaps while expanding.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
An assembler in the hand doesn't have a recipe so it doesn't have an input. It can't be rotated until you've placed it and assigned a recipie.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Main Paineframe posted:

It's more that as you get past a certain point, you need increasingly complicated circuit networks to regulate and balance your inputs and outputs. I used a sushi belt for my labs in my first game, and it is workable. It's just that the complexity skyrockets as it scales up, to the point where it ends up needing more work and fiddling and refactoring than just using separate lines would've.
The complexity of the sushi belt shouldn't change the longer it gets.

You have a circular belt going past your labs, and one place where your science is input. You put some wire to read from 4-5 belt segments, and connect it to the input lanes. Those inputs don't add science unless the kind they serve is missing on the reader sections.

That should scale right up to the point where you're consuming a full blue belt worth of combined science packs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

You have a circular belt going past your labs, and one place where your science is input. You put some wire to read from 4-5 belt segments, and connect it to the input lanes. Those inputs don't add science unless the kind they serve is missing on the reader sections.

That should scale right up to the point where you're consuming a full blue belt worth of combined science packs.

With just that, it's still possible to occasionally get the belts clogged up by resources that aren't currently being consumed. That method prevents total deadlock, but it still allows enough clog to heavily reduce throughput on the stuff that is being consumed. It's even worse if your production of some packs isn't keeping up with demand. You either have to monitor a ton of belt segments or start pulling stuff off crowded sections to add a bit of churn to the sushi inventory. IIRC, my sushi science setup used an inserter to pull stuff off the belt into a series of chests, checked the contents of the chests to determine what the belt was oversupplied with, and fed the scarcest resources back into the sushi belt.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Maybe a shift register isn't what I'm looking for? I've got a signal that I want to bring into a memory cell, have stuff done to that signal, then have it moved to another memory cell and have the previous memory cell clear itself. Is that something that can happen? Google's not being especially helpful.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Count Uvula posted:

wrong, sucker! They have either an input or output direction when dealing with barreling goods, which you probably didn't know about because its uses are really niche and often just stopgaps while expanding.
Just about everyone knows about it because the fluid connection is needed for blue circuits?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chev posted:

Just about everyone knows about it because the fluid connection is needed for blue circuits?

Also, electric engines.

I ignored it because it doesn't show up unless you need a fluid recipe, rotation is reset when you switch to that recipe, and I didn't want to overcomplicate things for someone who has a lot of misconceptions about the mechanics already.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Maybe a shift register isn't what I'm looking for? I've got a signal that I want to bring into a memory cell, have stuff done to that signal, then have it moved to another memory cell and have the previous memory cell clear itself. Is that something that can happen? Google's not being especially helpful.

You seem to be after some sort of gated latch. My knowledge of the topic assumes binary logic so I'm having trouble translating that to combinators, but you might find what you want by reading through the wikipedia page on flip flop circuits.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here's one, then.

The leftmost pump is working, as you can see by the full tanks. The right pump is not working, even though it's in exactly the same position relative to the car. I've moved that pump up and down the car, but it never extends and starts pumping.

e:

Can anybody see what's wrong with this one? I appreciate all y'all's patience.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Well the only thing I see is that you aren't at a train stop. Build the stop first, and then build the pumps from the 4 outlines you get when you mouse over it. I think your train is just a pixel or two off in a way I don't see.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sounds like the bottom line is that I should have started automating trains as soon as I had the capability; I had been putting off automation until I'd run some manual runs. Train stops are essential.

e: I've opted into the latest beta, 0.16.22. Does Factorio distinguish between bleeding-edge betas and known-stable (ish) betas?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 4, 2018

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sounds like the bottom line is that I should have started automating trains as soon as I had the capability; I had been putting off automation until I'd run some manual runs. Train stops are essential.

e: I've opted into the latest beta, 0.16.22. Does Factorio distinguish between bleeding-edge betas and known-stable (ish) betas?

No. There are no betas newer than 0.16.22, and that is not bleeding-edge, it's several weeks into stabilisation after a major release. Once 0.16 has had all its bugs fixed, they'll probably release a 0.17 soon after. That will be comparatively buggy, but based on previous experience, the worst thing that'd happen is some saves breaking.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

[...] I had been putting off automation [...]

Pretty much the only wrong way to play Factorio :v:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ShadowHawk posted:

Here's the focus of my current game: 100 labs, fully sushi belted. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Right now I'm working on bringing high tech packs into this. I'm making them a few screens north near a small oil patch. I've been dealing with some power problems, so am waffling between getting nukes online or going full solar farm at the same time.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I thought the term "sushi belt" was generally used for a single mixed belt, not a lane for each type (thus 3 belts).

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

necrotic posted:

I thought the term "sushi belt" was generally used for a single mixed belt, not a lane for each type (thus 3 belts).

Correct, the above image is not a sushi belt.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I thought a sushi belt was a loop with a splitter entrance so that new items could always enter the loop, but never really exit. This pattern helps with distributing items and helps to make blueprints tileable too.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gt5Zx0bsOQ

This is what a sushi belt looks like. Though this might not work with current side loading, I'm not sure.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 5, 2018

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That is beautiful.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Beauty is efficiency. And that is inefficient!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Interesting! I first ran across the term sushi belt with this blueprint.

I thought that the looping entrance was what made it a sushi belt. I thought the term for the single line setup in Unreal_One's video was a mixed belt. I was always wary of those even with circuit networking because I was always worried that there'd be a half item gap in the detector that'd prevent a new pack from dropping in.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 5, 2018

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I'd just call that a loop. Sushi belt is taken from actual sushi belts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conveyor_belt_sushi#/media/File:Bluewater3753.JPG

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Have you ever been to a restaurant with a sushi train? That's literally where the term comes from. It's a continually-looping belt with all the items on it, so the inserters can just pick off the ones they want.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jabor posted:

Have you ever been to a restaurant with a sushi train? That's literally where the term comes from. It's a continually-looping belt with all the items on it, so the inserters can just pick off the ones they want.

That's not a sushi train, this is a sushi train: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQpYKxgeIU :toot:

Thanks for setting me straight, thread.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Braided belts are better for science labs anyways. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just built a sushi belt in the wrong loving direction. Is there any command to reverse belt segments that are already laid down?