Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Brands becoming synonymous with the service but not the actual product is something that companies legit worry about. From what I understand the peak version of this was Xerox, whose name came synonymous with copy machines but didn't have that sort of actual market dominance and eventually went under, their name outlasting the actual company. It's not a problem that actually comes up very often but that's probably what Nintendo were worried about.

Xerox never went bust, or even got bought; the closest to what you are describing is the late 70s when they got trust-busted and became merely one of many photocopiers, which put them in a bad enough situation in the 80's that Apple contemplated buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Supreme Court did rule in favor of Yo-Yo being common speech which resulted in Duncan selling the company. But apparently the trademark still holds in Canada?

Weirdest ones for me are hackey sack and frisbee. If there was any serious money to be had from that market I’m positive they would lose those trademarks but until then who wants to play some foot bag?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quicksilver6 posted:

There's a new game out in early access called Freeman Guerilla Warfare and it owns bones. A modern age mount and blade with bullet physics and ammo measured by magazines instead of individual bullets, the correct way to measure ammo.

Still pretty rough and has no vehicles, day/night cycle or multiplayer, but dang it's p fun even at this stage.

I don't normally do this, but I really like the game and don't hear a lot of discussion about it. I'm really hoping for mods at some point. A jagged alliance mod would be great for this game.
oh, so its like the parallel world where opfor was popular as a single player game instead of turning into what arma is

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

...y...yes? I don't play a lot of arma mods.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lego my eggos

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I put an hour or so into Dragon's Dogma. It seems... kind of generic? When is the point when I should be getting into the game? I killed the hydra and then fought some bandits and died and the last autosave was like 20 minutes in the past so I shut it down and started FF12

You need to manually save regularly, do not trust the autosave

It's going to be a lot more than an hour. But there isn't really a point where dogma instantly becomes good, it just sort of increasingly plays to its strengths more and more until the end of the game is 100% action and awesome power fantasy. But a lot of people understandably don't make it to that point.

Ms Adequate posted:

People still use Google instead of DuckDuckGo?

smdh

Duckduckgo gives me noticeably less helpful results unfortunately

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dogma becomes great once you are set up in gran soren

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i tried to play bioshock 2 today. it crashed.

i'm really tired of games crashing so i'm going to try prey and hope it doesn't crash. if that doesn't work i guess i'm just going to be playing celeste forever and hoping i can at some point play nier again

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I played through Bayonetta today in preparation to play through Bayonetta in two weeks.

The auto-scroller sections are still really really terrible if you were wondering.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
console gaming ftw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The companies are afraid of being genericized, which has legal consequences and weakens their claim to the mark.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress em tho

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology has taken the new record for the longest demo I've ever played. My save file is at 7.5 hours by the time I had exhausted everything I could do in it, which includes the entire prologue and first chapter, as well as a small taste of the new content they added for the remake.

Dang Atlus you crazy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Expect My Mom posted:

console gaming ftw

I put Horizon into my PS4 for the first time today and waited twenty minutes, it’s actually an actively inferior method to play games compared to PC, and should honestly be made illegal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the .hack compilation is sure reminding me of how little this series respected your time

also in retrospect i kind of liked the original quadrilogy's aesthetic better, even if it was leagues less fun to play - everything seemed vaguely alien and menacing and the Epitaphs themselves did a good job of conveying wrongness compared to the semi-sentai ones in GU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Taintrunner posted:

I put Horizon into my PS4 for the first time today and waited twenty minutes, it’s actually an actively inferior method to play games compared to PC, and should honestly be made illegal
no actually

pc gaming for the lose

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I think Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology has taken the new record for the longest demo I've ever played. My save file is at 7.5 hours by the time I had exhausted everything I could do in it, which includes the entire prologue and first chapter, as well as a small taste of the new content they added for the remake.

Dang Atlus you crazy

The Bravely Second demo is probably the coolest one I've played because its like 5 hours long and entirely unique from the actual game, its just a free prologue chapter basically.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Taintrunner posted:

It evens out with instant suspend-resume though compared to always having to load on PC over the course of an entire playthrough

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nintendo initially insisted that people call the Gamecube the NINTENDO GAMECUBE.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monster Hunter update: game still owns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Taintrunner posted:

look i'm probably never going to switch back to consoles but

i can't really completely argue against consoles when games i really like are literally rendered unplayable and will never get fixed

except when durante releases the pc ports for trails of cold steel that are really good and objectively better than the ps3 versions. i strongly urge playing them if only for the extra voice acting cause above everything else the voice acting in trails of cold steel is really great

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 5, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

monster hunter update the eagles killed the patriots and are making weapons and armor from their flesh and bones

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Couldn't stand up to an elite quarterback like *bing searches* uh..Nick Foles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Any Philly goons confirm if the city is a smoking party crater?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i loving hope so

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
As someone who grew up in a household that celebrated the Patriots and watched almost all of their games every year; gently caress the Patriots.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

Any Philly goons confirm if the city is a smoking party crater?

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/960355398979997696

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When do the riot police come out

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm not gonna say sports riots are good

but people in Philly are parading around chanting "Big Dick Nick"

and that is very good

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/960359258725502983

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do sports riots like that usually happen for the winning team?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

yeah

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

No that’s just daily life in America now

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

No that’s just daily life in America now

No it’s not

There hasn’t been a mass shooting to make it an average day

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there was literally a shooting yesterday

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Don't be silly, there are white people rioting reveling out there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

I finished this game the other week. I really enjoyed the storyline and how it ties into Homeworld 1, the soundtrack, and missions were all really good too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I finished this game the other week. I really enjoyed the storyline and how it ties into Homeworld 1, the soundtrack, and missions were all really good too.

Hearing the name Rachel S'jet just put a smile on my face.

More naval-style RTSs would be sweet. I just really liked how commanding a Carrier Battle Group just felt slightly different in interesting ways from the typical base-building model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

there was literally a shooting yesterday

Like he said.

• Locked thread