Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Gromit posted:

I wouldn't describe it as that, unless you meant "floppy drive protector". It's basically a thick cardboard version of the floppy disk, but the ones I saw with my 1541 had a bit more sticking out the end.

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry. I have seen those before but I assumed it was so that the heads don't crash when you're moving the drive from place to place. Didn't realize it was also good for use/storage when the drive was empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Yeah but I'd go as far as to say that it's probably easier to just use a defective disk you've got lying around. It's also made of plastic and less likely to attract coffee circles.

E: A lot of these old computer cases have just punched out holes into the metal where the fan goes, which often makes the fan a lot louder and whinier than it would need to be because of how the air hits those. (back then the fans were loud anyways but with the silent fans of today this is very annoying) Then we developed the wire grill and all was good. Now new PC cases have forgotten about the wire grill again it seems. I wonder when they reintroduce the razor sharp edges you slice your fingers off with when that molex connector that seems to be superglued suddenly gives.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 31, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I mean, those cardboard disks are only labeled "for travel" or whatever because they didn't imagine that someone would buy a fancy new floppy drive and leave it out of use for a reason besides travel. It would seem silly that someone might want to leave a drive sitting around for 10+ years after all.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I got a nice Mini Tower on ebay in this "classic beige design" (with in the plastic integrated floppy slit) that's perfect for both mATX and BabyAT. The best thing is that it's new and unused, still even came in it's original box with it's original parts like rubber legs etc.. 13 Eurobucks including shipping. I cannot complain.

It does an interesting thing where the very first slot (that's on the same height as the ATX-I/O shield) doesn't have a slot (couldn't have if it also is to be ATX) but a port cutout for a video connector, which makes sense I suppose as that is where the first slot would be, so you remove the bracket from the card and screw the port directly onto the case. Never have seen such a hybrid case myself before, but interesting! Sadly it's a bit in the realm of "excessive cleverness" as for example a card with more than one port or DVI won't fit. I guess they just didn't bother about those edge cases.

What I like the most is that it's a perfect fit for BabyAT boards. They look a bit ridiculous in these huge AT cases and there's also a lot of wasted space. I might transplant my K6 into it. Only need to cut an AT-I/O Shield. It's a tower but it's even lower than my ITX case.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this or if there's a dedicated GOG thread. I've got a not-tech-savvy friend who bought Sim City 2000 on GOG, and he says the following: "I bought SimCity 2000 off of good old games. Only problem is, the gameplay is only 1/4 of the screen. The rest is black."

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this or if there's a dedicated GOG thread. I've got a not-tech-savvy friend who bought Sim City 2000 on GOG, and he says the following: "I bought SimCity 2000 off of good old games. Only problem is, the gameplay is only 1/4 of the screen. The rest is black."

Does anyone know a fix for this?

The GOG version of SC2k is the DOS version, which uses pre-configured DOSbox to get running. I assume his issue is related to that. If your friend can get a hold of the SC2k for Windows disk, they can use the Windows 7+ installer and have a much more pleasant way to play SC2k.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hmm, so the GOG version is unsalvageable? If that’s the case, does GOG offer refunds?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There probably is some way to fix it, but not worth the effort IMO when the alternative is easier and better. No idea about refunds.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 5, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's not unsalvageable. Tell your friend to play around with the DOSBox config file, there'll be a setting related to that- it might be a little esoteric, so you might have to gently caress around a bit, but I've gotten it to work without the giant black box before.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It could also be the graphics driver’s settings too. Nvidia drivers let you choose whether to stretch to fit your monitor’s resolution or not when running games.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Hmm, so the GOG version is unsalvageable? If that’s the case, does GOG offer refunds?
You're probably set to keep the original resolution and not scale it to screen. It's changeable either in the configuration link from your version or as Luigi said, your video driver might be set to preserve lower resolution so if DOSBox config fails check that too.

And no need to gently caress around with a config file if you don't know what you're doing. Launch the config shortcut and tell us (or take a screenshot) what's set there (both basic and advanced).

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 5, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pierzak posted:

You're probably set to keep the original resolution and not scale it to screen. It's changeable either in the configuration link from your version or as Luigi said, your video driver might be set to preserve lower resolution so if DOSBox config fails check that too.

And no need to gently caress around with a config file if you don't know what you're doing. Launch the config shortcut and tell us (or take a screenshot) what's set there (both basic and advanced).

Unfortunately it might not be that easy - when I said I was “asking for a friend” and that he’s not tech-savvy, that wasn’t me trying to cover for my own idiocy, i genuinely was asking on behalf of a friend. :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's really easy, just tell them to get an account.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I'd run it in windowed mode, none of these DOS games are going to look nice fullscreen on a modern monitor, especially if you take aspect ratio into account.

I tried to get Arcanum from GOG running on Win98. The Installer only worked on a modern machine and even after removing the .dlls it came with it didn't work, they did something to the .exe, it's significantly bigger than the .exe of the original from back then. It ended up working with an ancient nocd replacement. It's way, way too slow to play on the Cyrix though. I could swear I remember the minimal requirement back in the day to be a Pentium MMX (I bought the game back then when it came out, box and everything - and never got around to play it) but websites online actually say Pentium II and better which I have to admit is also more in line with the release date. That being said, the 32 MB the system has are way too little and lead to excessive pagefile trashing even just in the main menu. I ordered a 128 MB SODIMM RAM Stick for a pittance, it should make a difference in general at least as the System runs out of memory basically constantly. (I used to run Win9x with 8 and 16 MB of RAM and don't remember it being THAT bad but apparently it just bothered me less) It's 133 Mhz RAM and faster than what the Cyrix needs so maybe I get some nice, tight memory timings out of it. Also did some ancient voodoo to get the onboard audio a lot less noisy, the "Mouse sounds" are finally gone. Also went back to win98lite, for a slower system the win95 shell vs. that html crap really do make a difference.

What I really enjoyed palying lately is Caesar 3 and Yoot Tower. Yoot is a bit simplistic for acquired, modern tastes but still a fun game. I don't understand how there's not a modern version of it. I know there's Project Highrise but last time I played it it was "Missing the Point of SimTower: The Game".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's really easy, just tell them to get an account.

Obsolete technology thread is - - - > that way, friend.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SA - obselete :(

A retro game I picked up recently from GOG is Dungeon Keeper 2 by Bullfrog.

After some minor fuckery (editing the registry to enable high res), installing an app to let me rebind mousewheel to zoom, and replacing the maps with some patched versions it runs..... Really really well, and is very stable. And unlike a lot of older games, it's as good as I remember.

If anyone used to play this in the early 2000s, it's pretty drat good on modern systems. Way better in every way then the war for the overworld relaunch, or the terrible mobile game.

I had no stability problems and I've played through it twice at modern Res. Gog patched it to run with hardware acceleration, pretty neat.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 5, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

installing an app to let me rebind mousewheel to zoom
Tell me more.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Listen, the GOG DOS version of SimCity 2000 is just garbage because the DOS version is garbage.

You should really just use the Windows 95 versions with the patches for 7 and up because then you get to play with plenty of viewing area as well as the extra zoom level and fixes to the microsimulator constraints introduced in the Windows versions and the later Mac versions:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pierzak posted:

Tell me more.

I used glovepie, and set it to remap mousewheel to the keyboard controls for zoom. Something like this glovepie script:

Key.Ctrl + Keyboard.Up = Mouse.WheelUp 
Key.Ctrl + Keyboard.Down = Mouse.WheelDown

Works great in that game.

E - oh yea I edited a file using a hex editor to get enough zoom out. If you're using a higher res (I'm using 1920 X 1080) you'll need to do this too.

If anyone has gog dungeon keeper 2 and wants any of this just say.

It's a really fun game.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 5, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks to the efforts of some guys from Atari-Forum and the original author, the Geneva multitasking kernel and NeoDesk desktop replacement for the ST are freeware with a source release coming soon. :toot:

http://www4.pair.com/gribnif/

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Jet Set loving Willy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAl0ld3to24

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hmm, should I get an Amiga 500 and mod the living gently caress out of it?

There's one going for a reasonable price at the moment, including two very good joysticks with it and a pile of software

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
No idea what mods you're thinking of, but most of the time you'd be better off jsut buying one of those little boxes that re-implements the system on FPGA. You'll spend a lot less than all the moddy bits.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fishmech posted:

No idea what mods you're thinking of, but most of the time you'd be better off jsut buying one of those little boxes that re-implements the system on FPGA. You'll spend a lot less than all the moddy bits.
I was thinking flash drive connectors and CPU upgrades. But that makes sense what you're saying.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

I was thinking flash drive connectors and CPU upgrades. But that makes sense what you're saying.

Sort of a golden age for those upgrades. A Gotek USB floppy drive thing is like $20 and the TerribleFire accelerators are super cheap.

I'd jump on it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well, I was given an SC-55st, so now I will be listening to a lot of music.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

fishmech posted:

Depends on where you are. I got an A500, 512k expansion (local euro sellers) and a Gotek for much less than a clone. Accelerators for a 500 seem a bit pointless imho

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sort of a golden age for those upgrades. A Gotek USB floppy drive thing is like $20 and the TerribleFire accelerators are super cheap.

I'd jump on it.

I've already got an A1200 so might actually do something with that. Some British Amiga users feel the A600 is the better machine for earlier OCS software as there's better hardware support with the internal IDE connector and PCMCIA card slot as well as the newer Kickstart. I know some OCS software hates the A1200.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

You Am I posted:

Some British Amiga users feel the A600 is the better machine for earlier OCS software as there's better hardware support with the internal IDE connector and PCMCIA card slot as well as the newer Kickstart.

that stuff actually makes it worse for OCS, 1MB A500 with KS 1.3 is pretty much the most hassle-free solution (and totally mod-free unless you count the 512k expansion nearly every A500 has as a mod).

also FPGAs are soulless :colbert:

edit: the one mod you want would be a floppy emulator like the HxC or Gotek (I like HxC). with this on a bog-standard 1MB A500 you have an incredible library of OCS stuff to play with

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 24, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ok, thanks for the info d0s!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FPGAs are bad. I also have like $300 in hardware sticking out of my 1040ST.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Luigi Thirty posted:

I also have like $300 in hardware sticking out of my 1040ST.

Ah, I see you are a man of culture.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

1040STF, 4MB Marpet solderless RAM upgrade, UltraSatan ACSI SD reader, NetUSBee NIC/USB host, Gotek running HxC firmware, TOM2 USB adapter, and I just got a Dell UltraSharp that supports 15KHz RGB. Pretty sweet system. It’s running NVDI 5, Geneva, and NeoDesk on Rainbow TOS. Pretty speedy in the desktop for an 8MHz system.

I should try swapping out the floppy controller and get 1.44MB support.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 25, 2018

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

1040STF, 4MB Marpet solderless RAM upgrade, UltraSatan ACSI SD reader, NetUSBee NIC/USB host, Gotek running HxC firmware, TOM2 USB adapter, and I just got a Dell UltraSharp that supports 15KHz RGB. Pretty sweet system. It’s running NVDI 5, Geneva, and NeoDesk on Rainbow TOS. Pretty speedy in the desktop for an 8MHz system.

Sounds pretty sweet! What sort of cabling are you using to run the RGB signals out to the Dell Ultrasharp monitor?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ataris are rare as hen's teeth in Australia (at least models other than 520ST). I'd love a 1040 (or Falcon, but doubt if I will ever find one in Australia), as I used to use one at high school for music notation and MIDI work

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Okay guys, I'm stumped: How does one type an apostrophe on an Atari 800?

I'm asking because I was thinking of doing a sorta retro journaling thing where I'd type something out in Atariwriter or Letter Perfect, but the thing that's killing me is using +s for apostrophes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Okay guys, I'm stumped: How does one type an apostrophe on an Atari 800?

I'm asking because I was thinking of doing a sorta retro journaling thing where I'd type something out in Atariwriter or Letter Perfect, but the thing that's killing me is using +s for apostrophes.

If memory serves, shift-7. Shift-2 is double quotes, that one I know for sure.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If memory serves, shift-7. Shift-2 is double quotes, that one I know for sure.

You can see my confusion.

But yeah, totally worked! Thank you!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Sounds pretty sweet! What sort of cabling are you using to run the RGB signals out to the Dell Ultrasharp monitor?

I have an Atari connector to VGA cable from Best. It has a little push-button switch that flips it from monochrome to color. The Dell can accept the low and medium resolution RGB signal from the VGA connector. In monochrome mode, it’s 31KHz and close enough to VGA that most monitors have no problem with it.

You Am I posted:

Ataris are rare as hen's teeth in Australia (at least models other than 520ST). I'd love a 1040 (or Falcon, but doubt if I will ever find one in Australia), as I used to use one at high school for music notation and MIDI work

Yeah, I hooked up a MIDI to USB connector and connected the ST to my PC. I installed a sequencer on the ST, set up the instruments in a Korg M1 VST on my PC, and played a demo song with it. It’s super cool.

I’ve got an old Casio CZ-101 keyboard that needs a new DC jack, there’s actually a lot of software for writing and uploading SysEx patches to it for the ST from back in the day.

Right now I’m using it as a target for writing little games and demos. I installed an M68K toolchain on the Sun server I have and set it up so I can download the programs to the ST using the Sun’s FTP server. For debugging, the ST is connected to the Sun’s serial port so I have a debug console.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

Right now I’m using it as a target for writing little games and demos. I installed an M68K toolchain on the Sun server I have and set it up so I can download the programs to the ST using the Sun’s FTP server. For debugging, the ST is connected to the Sun’s serial port so I have a debug console.

That's cool as hell. I was going to get further into 68K programming once this A2000 is ready, but I was going to do it right in AsmOne on the machine.